Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #9406
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Took it to work today and made sure to keep my foot clear when I wasn't actually braking, rotor was still as hot as before.The wheel turns freely still with the normal amount of drag as far as I can tell, only other oddity is the noise. I'm thinking I'll just ignore it for now and see what happens... If it gets worse I'll let the dealer figure it out

Its under warranty take it in.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #9407
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Took it to work today and made sure to keep my foot clear when I wasn't actually braking, rotor was still as hot as before.The wheel turns freely still with the normal amount of drag as far as I can tell, only other oddity is the noise. I'm thinking I'll just ignore it for now and see what happens... If it gets worse I'll let the dealer figure it out
I wouldnt do that if I were you. I would take it in and have it checked out. Is your wheel alligned correctly? Check both sides and make sure your allignment screws are matched up.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #9408
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Wheel is aligned, chain is set on the loose side of things.

I was assuming I'm being paranoid, aren't rotors supposed to be a little hot anyways? It's not glowing red or anything, just too hot to hold for more than a second or two.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #9409
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Wheel is aligned, chain is set on the loose side of things.

I was assuming I'm being paranoid, aren't rotors supposed to be a little hot anyways? It's not glowing red or anything, just too hot to hold for more than a second or two.
They will get hot where you can't hold them at all from the initial drag.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #9410
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
What info can you share on the GPS mount?
Which one, the SW Motech, or the Montana mount to the right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
And on the little Garmin bag please.
Its a replacement attachment case for a GTU10.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75175
I added a velcro strap and fixed it round the brake master cylinder. I use it for keeping loose change in.
Comes in handy for coffee or paying toll bridge fees.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #9411
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,690
I received my replacement AltRider sidestand foot today, courtesy of the company.

It looks so much better than the previous one. All edges are finished, no grinding marks, etc. Fit of the foot is also better.

Here are a couple of photos of the new unit:

Many thanks to AltRider for standing behind their product!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #9412
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Which one, the SW Motech, or the Montana mount to the right?

Its a replacement attachment case for a GTU10.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75175
I added a velcro strap and fixed it round the brake master cylinder. I use it for keeping loose change in.
Comes in handy for coffee or paying toll bridge fees.
Actually both mounts. The center mount, do you have the montana mounted on it as well, or just the zumo? Thanks in Advance.

refokus screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 06:16 PM
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #9413
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Hi guys, I've been getting a few emails for some spy pics of the new rack we've been testing this summer.

It's based off the proven, strong and versatile design our KTM racks have been for years.

It's not ready for release yet, but if interested please give me some feedback via email. I'm hoping to have a small batch ready in a week or so, at that time it will be moved to vendors. Just thought you might like a look.

BTW, I've had a chance to ride this bike during testing and it's a blast. The first bike I've been on since the KTM 950 ADV that has an engine in a DS platform that's made me smile and excited. Triumph built a great bike and the reason I decided to offer a rack for it and maybe some other stuff in the future....

Here you go. Triumph 800 tail rack-

J
If you need a storage box. A Pelican case bolts on great. These are the strongest DS boxes out there that hold up to our needs.
Here is a pic of it on our 950 ADV. Same rack size and box mounting options.

QUESTION:

I've seen some riders changing out the stock windscreen. Anyone want to get rid of there stock one? I think I have a use for it on another project bike...
When an where is this available?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #9414
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,270
so who is coping who???
twowheels or cjracer

both of these guys have very similar rear racks with almost the exact same 3 position mounting method.

twowheels

cjracer
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #9415
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Actually both mounts. The center mount, do you have the montana mounted on it as well, or just the zumo? Thanks in Advance.
Currently I only use the Zumo on the centre mount. I like the mount very much (although its only been a couple of days). It look good and seems solid. Being rubber mounted, there is a little movement if you twist it, but this doesnt show up when riding.

I am more than happy with the position of the unit and it is easy to operate in this position. I have the screen tilted right back, so I cant fit a GPS above the clocks.

The Montana mount is the standard Garmin adventure mount. I dont use the Montana as much as the Zumo, due to lack of Bluetooth. my plan is to use the Zumo for street navigation and the Montana with its topo mapping for offroad, where spoken directions are not required.

The Montana is good and I love the features and trip computer. Between the 2 units, I have everything covered. If they bring out a Bluetooth Montana, the Zumo will likely go.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #9416
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so who is coping who???
twowheels or cjracer

both of these guys have very similar rear racks with almost the exact same 3 position mounting method.

twowheels
Besides both racks fitting on the back of a tiger what so similar about them? They both have advantages and disadvantages and look quite a bit different ot me.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #9417
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,690
Sliding positions on the racks --

While I love the concept, I wonder about its integrity, long term.

Why, you ask?

Well, let's think about why it exists. To slide the rack forward/aft, you merely unscrew until the screw heads are above the rack level, move the rack, and retorque the screws. All well and good.

But on my bikes, something like the rear rack will always receive some thread locker with each fastener removal/installation. Just undoing the screw a little ways, breaks the anaerobic locking agent loose. May as well pull the bolt all the way out to reapply agent.

So now I've got the screw all the way out to reapply agent; why not just have a hole rather than a slot? The slot is not going to provide as secure a mounting as a hole. With the slot, you are depending entirely upon the screw head (especially with the middle position,) and not the entire head at that, since some is now over empty slot space.

In conclusion, I like the multiple position concept, but I'd like it more if it were just three holes, and not the slots.

All of the above is merely my personal opinion.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #9418
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

Why, you ask?

Well, let's think about why it exists. To slide the rack forward/aft, you merely unscrew until the screw heads are above the rack level, move the rack, and retorque the screws. All well and good.

But on my bikes, something like the rear rack will always receive some thread locker with each fastener removal/installation. Just undoing the screw a little ways, breaks the anaerobic locking agent loose. May as well pull the bolt all the way out to reapply agent.

So now I've got the screw all the way out to reapply agent; why not just have a hole rather than a slot? The slot is not going to provide as secure a mounting as a hole. With the slot, you are depending entirely upon the screw head (especially with the middle position,) and not the entire head at that, since some is now over empty slot space.

In conclusion, I like the multiple position concept, but I'd like it more if it were just three holes, and not the slots.

Good point.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #9419
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
When an where is this available?
Its available now. Go here and give him a call or shoot him an email.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/contactus.html
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #9420
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so who is coping who???
twowheels or cjracer

twowheels

cjracer
Well, we did do it first (showed Jan 2010 and it went into production Mar. 2010 for the F800 GS Top Rack shown above). That's why I had included the link to the original thread. Our top rack was out long before CJracer's F800 GS version (Dec. 2010) which was the first top rack he did it on. When I first saw it I was

I suppose all the good ideas do get copied, but it's still a tough pill to swallow. CJracer does make some nice stuff though and definitely looks like he has great parts and some good ideas!

Why did we do it? Simple, when riding solo I don't need to have stuff that far back on the bike so it helps centralize the weight.
An important differentiation to make though is that ours is not three position but two position with key hole quick release in the centre. The keyhole idea was suggested by a fellow inmate (Motoriley) and we ran with it. We also thanked him and rewarded him...credit given where credit is due. The quick release makes it much easier to switch out our multiple options (multiple Rotopax configurations, Givi/Kappa Monokey mounting and later SW-Motech Trax, Kolpin JR. and Caribou's QFS system) without messing around with the spacers/bolts (they are long and fall over and drop on the floor all the time).

We were also the first (as far as I saw back then with my research and please correct me if I'm wrong!) to have a production top rack that fit Rotopax and Givi/Kappa Monokey without adapters (and our KISS DIY top box system). It just seemed like everyone made top racks as somewhere to put a bag or a top box but not really both very well. So we changed that and put as many options on it as possible for the rider. It made sense to us. We also optimized the slots for use with many different soft bags and Giant Loop's Great Basin.
Since then there have been a couple of copycats. So we added compatibility for SW-Motech Trax, Kolpin's JR fuel pack and Caribou's QFS system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™

Why, you ask?

Very good points here!
Thread locking compounds are usually a good idea on a bike but we have found that on the application above (F800 GS with M8 bolts) it's not required to use any. With the precision spacers (there's a little trick to them too) and the size of the M8 bolts it doesn't loosen up on it's own. Again this was thoroughly tested and it's been proven in practice. They came out in March 2010. There have been no complaints or problems at all. I also try to be a bad mechanic on my bike for the sake of testing. I don't use any thread-locking compounds (and not even grease sometimes ) on the MOD parts to test them under those circumstances.

The slots do compromise the strength of the top rack. We did a lot of prototyping (we went through 4 different versions) and testing on this (and even some FEA analysis courtesy of a friend) before we went to production. What you don't see on our top rack is that there is a rib welded underneath to counter the massive loss of strength from the slots. We use 3/8" (5mm) thick alu. but we still found with significant loading, over time the top rack will split...emanating from the slots. So hence the re-enforcement rib welded underneath. Doing holes would be easier (and cheaper) but a bit of a pain from the riders perspective and the QR function was too good to lose.

On the KTM top rack that we came out with later we didn't do the sliding option because it didn't doesn't work for that bike. It get's in the way of taking off the seat.

We don't have a Tiger 800 one in production yet (the one shown above is the F800 GS version that I mentioned the features would be adapted from). I have looked at the bike extensively since day one but we've been a little behind on production of our current parts.

The Tiger 800 version will also go through the process of being analyzed and things will be optimized for it. That's another reason that we value Inmates feedback sooo much. We have been lucky to post almost every product before it goes to production. We've found there is a BIG difference in actually using and riding a bike and the subsequent parts designed for it! We really like to sweat the details.

(I shouldn't post this here though) So Tiger riders what do you say?...sliding? missing something else?

Please do let me know if you have any other questions too!

Thanks!

Dave
dave(at)motooverland(dot)com

toowheels screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 11:12 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote