Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #9406
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 253
Does anyone else occasionally get a brake humming type noise under light/no braking and low speed? Mine does it off and on, but I'm hoping it's just needing time for the pads to wear in.

Edit: After about a 20 minute ride, the rear rotor is too hot to touch for more than a second, while the front rotors are just warm. The wheel turns without much resistance, but could the rear brake be binding just enough to cause these symptoms?

bigtallguy screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 01:04 PM
bigtallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #9407
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Does anyone else occasionally get a brake humming type noise under light/no braking and low speed? Mine does it off and on, but I'm hoping it's just needing time for the pads to wear in.

Edit: After about a 20 minute ride, the rear rotor is too hot to touch for more than a second, while the front rotors are just warm. The wheel turns without much resistance, but could the rear brake be binding just enough to cause these symptoms?
Yup. Mine does the same. Clean the rear sliding pins

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #9408
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:

And given your name, are you sure your boot isn't resting on the rear pedal, just a smidge. Wearing mx boots and riding my DR I catch myself dragging the rear brake sometimes. Just a thought.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #9409
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
And given your name, are you sure your boot isn't resting on the rear pedal, just a smidge. Wearing mx boots and riding my DR I catch myself dragging the rear brake sometimes. Just a thought.

I'm sure, I ride with my feet turned out and down. My toes naturally point down on the pegs due to my height, so even when I do cover the rear brake, it takes effort to keep it up there.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #9410
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
2012 Speed Triple Fly Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
Well - my fed-up's hurting from the screen.... So I've been looking around for a loooooooong time.
Strange this is - my dealer fitted the new Speed Triple Flyscreen onto the Tigger 800!

I'm not 100% on it's looks - but when I took it for a test ride - I WAS SOLD!
A simple constant flow of air in my face. No buffering - No head shake - No plastic sheet shaking on top....
Pure simple wind - smooooooooth wind!

Will report back once it's fitted.

Oh - and btw - if you have to ask about the price - you can't afford it! Believe me - it's bludy expensive all together.

Hey Birdy. Did you put the Speed Triple on your Tiger ? I checked it out at the dealer today and it looks like it needs some modification to mount unto the Tiger front end.

Trying to figure out degree of difficulty.

GTMan screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 03:42 PM
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #9411
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMan View Post
Hey Birdy. Did you put the Speed Triple on your Tiger ? I checked it out at the dealer today and it looks like it needs some modification to mount unto to the Tiger front end.

Trying to figure out degree of difficulty.
Clicky
Old 11-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #9412
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
Ordered a Konvoi top case from Romania and it is on its way, Istvan even sent some photo's of it--

After I figure out how to mount it on my rear plate (I want to make it removable but lockable) I'll post up some more photo's.

Jerry
Thanks for posting he looks like he does great work!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #9413
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

These look nice and only 330 plus 60 bucks shipping for set!!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #9414
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
I'm sure, I ride with my feet turned out and down. My toes naturally point down on the pegs due to my height, so even when I do cover the rear brake, it takes effort to keep it up there.
Not saying you're doing this, but I've ridden with many riders who swear they aren't pressing on the rear brake, when in reality, they're dragging it all the time. I don't think one's foot can detect light dragging.

I'd do a test ride where you don't put your right foot anywhere near the brake pedal (or adjust it for a ton of slack), and then see if your rear disc is hot. Slightly warm is Okay due to just the normal drag as the brake pad sits in the caliper, but if it gets hot at all, I'd say you've got a problem.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #9415
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
I put the MRA windshield deal (clamp on) and it helps the wind flow alot. It is adjustable for off roading also. Like.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #9416
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I put the MRA windshield deal (clamp on) and it helps the wind flow alot. It is adjustable for off roading also. Like.

When you getting more armor and better tires for that beast?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #9417
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
Well, I did get the skid plate which I like alot. Today I took my DR650 on a great dual sport ride and realized that it is my off road bike. The Tiger, as it is, is fine for long distance travel, twisties and some gravel. But it will never be an offroad beast for me. I am 52, too inexperienced and it is too heavy.

I layed it down in the mud last week when I should have been on the DR. Couldn't lift it by myself, partly because I was slipping in the slime. So, I may replace the stock tires with Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3's which I have on my DR now. Great for everything but mud.

Anyway, I plan on taking some long trips on it in the near future, but fire roads will be my limit.

My DR650, if you care to see it.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #9418
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Well, I did get the skid plate which I like alot. Today I took my DR650 on a great dual sport ride and realized that it is my off road bike. The Tiger, as it is, is fine for long distance travel, twisties and some gravel. But it will never be an offroad beast for me. I am 52, too inexperienced and it is too heavy.

I layed it down in the mud last week when I should have been on the DR. Couldn't lift it by myself, partly because I was slipping in the slime. So, I may replace the stock tires with Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3's which I have on my DR now. Great for everything but mud.

Anyway, I plan on taking some long trips on it in the near future, but fire roads will be my limit.

My DR650, if you care to see it.
I saw that post and yes the DR is of course a better dirt bike but with better tires the Tiger is a whole lot better.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 06:55 PM
Old 11-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #9419
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 226
"These look nice and only 330 plus 60 bucks shipping for set!!"

And he will make them just about any size you want, so you could have a narrower one on the muffler side to balance out the bike. I figured the top box first and then maybe the side cases in the future, just need to figure what side mounts to use.

Jerry
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #9420
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
"These look nice and only 330 plus 60 bucks shipping for set!!"

And he will make them just about any size you want, so you could have a narrower one on the muffler side to balance out the bike. I figured the top box first and then maybe the side cases in the future, just need to figure what side mounts to use.

Jerry
He sales a mounting kit but what rack to use with it? Wondering if these would work with the Happy Trails rack? So i guess the buyer would need to drill his own holes? What are you going to attach the top box too?

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 06:56 PM