Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #9436
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
FWIW, I had the same problem with my '04 Suzuki SV650, AFTER it warmed up. Changing plugs helped, but as the bike is lounging about down south while I'm chilling here, I don't know whether or not it's still having the problem. (The bike is being ridden on occasion by a friend, no reports on the issue).
This has been long taken care of. Triumph did a recall and has a new tune available for all bikes.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #9437
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Dave,

Thanks for the explanation and response. I didn't see the rack mounted on a bike, so didn't know of the quick release system offered. Can you help by posting up a picture of the system in use on an F800?

Also, good to know about the reinforcing ribs underneath the rack to strengthen it due to the slots.

As a Tiger owner, I'd like to see a quick-reposition on the rack, but only if it does not compromise strength and durability.
Yossarian™ thanks for the feedback.

I may have made the description a little confusing. The centre position on our slots is an open hole that allows the bolt head to pass through it. Therefore you loosen the bolts about 5mm and that allows you to change the position or to remove the top rack without removing the bolts and spacers. That's the "quick-release" function.

It takes about half the time and makes it easier and quicker to switch out the different options.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9438
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Yossarian™ thanks for the feedback.

I may have made the description a little confusing. The centre position on our slots is an open hole that allows the bolt head to pass through it. Therefore you loosen the bolts about 5mm and that allows you to change the position or to remove the top rack without removing the bolts and spacers. That's the "quick-release" function.

It takes about half the time and makes it easier and quicker to switch out the different options.

Thanks again,

Dave
that's pretty slick. so i assume one can purchase a cheaper plate only for the 2nd plate. i can see the usefullness in having a givi mount plate and givi box for city/daily riding and then changing over to a flat plate for adv touring with a duffel on the rear.

you ever consider offering a somewhat larger plate only (no givi holes and such) for switch over to duffel time? i think you could easily sell a discounted package deal with the regular plate w/ givi mounts, larger duffel friendly plate and all the lower mount hardware. now that would be the ultimate ADV setup.

question? are your forward edge holes (for straps) wide enough to allow a Giant Loop buckle on the center strap to pass through. i have a coyote and use it by looping the 2 center straps through a rear rack and hold that edge that way. it sits on the rear of the seat and also straps down below. i do not use the fender straps option at all as i use a rear rack thus it sits on the rear of the seat. i think the great basin works the same way. your holes do NOT look large enough to pass the metal GL buckels through, only pure straps or plastic cinchs only. with the coyote on the rear seat i then run a dry duffel on the rear rack w/ rox straps. i've seen several other guys do the same thing with the coyote and the great basin, run it on the rear of the seat, strapped through the front holes in the rear rack, so i know i'm not alone. if your strap holes (3 forward edge only) are not large enough for giant loop buckels to pass through, i would not buy your rear rack for this reason alone as that is an essential feature for me & many other GL users.

thnx
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 07:40 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #9439
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that's pretty slick. so i assume one can purchase a cheaper plate only for the 2nd plate. i can see the usefullness in having a givi mount plate and givi box for city/daily riding and then changing over to a flat plate for adv touring with a duffel on the rear.

you ever consider offering a somewhat larger plate only (no givi holes and such) for switch over to duffel time? i think you could easily sell a discounted package deal with the regular plate w/ givi mounts, larger duffel friendly plate and all the lower mount hardware. now that would be the ultimate ADV setup.

question? are your forward edge holes (for straps) wide enough to allow a Giant Loop buckle on the center strap to pass through. i have a coyote and use it by looping the 2 center straps through a rear rack and hold that edge that way. it sits on the rear of the seat and also straps down below. i do not use the fender straps option at all as i use a rear rack thus it sits on the rear of the seat. i think the great basin works the same way. your holes do NOT look large enough to pass the metal GL buckels through, only pure straps or plastic cinchs only. with the coyote on the rear seat i then run a dry duffel on the rear rack w/ rox straps. i've seen several other guys do the same thing with the coyote and the great basin, run it on the rear of the seat, strapped through the front holes in the rear rack, so i know i'm not alone. if your strap holes (3 forward edge only) are not large enough for giant loop buckels to pass through, i would not buy your rear rack for this reason alone as that is an essential feature for me & many other GL users.

thnx
Hmmm...I'm not sure I follow. This one top rack is designed to do it all. Bolt on the Givi/Rotopax/Trax/Kolpin/QFS mounts only, when you need it and run it empty when you don't. Swapping out Givi mounts for example takes me about 1 minute.

I've also never really seen the need for a really wide top rack with any duffel. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when I'm using a large duffel, it's stuffed and rolled/cinched tight and therefore self supporting. It doesn't really need a massively wide rack, just something big enough to give it some support and a solid place to anchor it and keep it from shifting. I've never have had any issues running a large duffel on any decent sized top rack and that goes for ours as well. Am I missing something?

As for the GL Coyote you cannot fit the metal buckles through the front slots but they will fit through the rectangular cut-outs 2 3/8" behind them and obviously the ones at the back too. You don't want to run the Coyote over this particular width of top rack though because it's too wide to work with the shape of the bag there.

Yes the Great Basin is designed to go on the seat (that's one reason it works so well it centralizes the weight where it's supposed to be, where a passenger would be) and the Coyote can do either.

I run the Great Basin straps through the front rectangular cut-outs (and the top rack forward) usually which gives me a bit more fore and aft room to slide around. The Great Basin has all the metal buckles fixed up top so you have only straps to thread through whatever works best for you. Our top rack gives you many more positioning options than any other top rack for the Great Basin (and the bag behind it). The attachment straps are usually long enough to go around whatever you're strapping behind too unless it's really big, in which case the Rokstraps are awesome. The new GL dry bags work great for this btw with their cinch loops.

The Coyote is cut narrower though so it works best on narrower seats. You can also use the fender clips to hold the bag to a top rack and you can also use that strap (with or without the removable clip) and thread it through a top rack.

Did I miss anything? Thoughts?

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #9440
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
From Triumph's Facebook page:

--mark
Yes please!

Looks like a more muscular version of MM's Gran Passo, a real british bulldog, if you will.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #9441
fbj913
I ride

it would be cool if they came out with one of these GPS mounts for the 800!

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/galleri...ive-eicma-02/6
http://www.twowheelsblog.com/galleri...ive-eicma-02/5
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #9442
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
it would be cool if they came out with one of these GPS mounts for the 800!

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/galleri...ive-eicma-02/6
http://www.twowheelsblog.com/galleri...ive-eicma-02/5
No need, my GPS is mounted in exactly the same position using a RAM mount.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #9443
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
No need, my GPS is mounted in exactly the same position using a RAM mount.

Ok, no need for you. What if someone wants more options?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #9444
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Ok, no need for you. What if someone wants more options?
I just put it out there so people know there are other options besides waiting for something like this.

If you want more options, fill yer boots....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #9445
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I just put it out there so people know there are other options besides waiting for something like this.

If you want more options, fill yer boots....

Did you post pictures of your ram mount a while back? If so do you remember what page? If not can you? (arent these huge threads lovely. You can find shit.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #9446
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Did you post pictures of your ram mount a while back? If so do you remember what page? If not can you? (arent these huge threads lovely. You can find shit.
You can search within a thread but as you say, still not easy.

I did post some pics but maybe this one best shows what I did:

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #9447
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
Oil Leak

I have a minor oil leak and luckily it seems to be coming from this plug instead of a gasket.

The service manual defines these as crankcase seal plugs and to replace with new ones if removed. On my next oil change which is coming up shortly I'm going to remove it and put some sealer on it like Permatex and reinstall. Has anyone else noticed an oil leak here?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #9448
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
about that leak

[
QUOTE=jimjim;17290377]I have a minor oil leak and luckily it seems to be coming from this plug instead of a gasket.

On my next oil change which is coming up shortly I'm going to remove it and put some sealer on it like Permatex and reinstall. Has anyone else noticed an oil leak here?[/QUOTE]
================================================== =====================================
JimJim

Surely you are still in warranty? I wouldn't screw with it for two reasons... one is you are in the warranty period(I'm assuming)... two is that the plug may not be threaded. It does have a recessed-allen head but might it be pressed in?

If you somehow are beyond warranty why not order another plug and then see what you are up against?

The reality is that I'd likely have the same reaction as you if it was happening to mine!

Motonut
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #9449
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
oil plug leak

Did you check to see if it was torqued correctly? The only reason I can see that a plug would be replaced is if they come with a hard sealant already applied from Triumph, or some special design feature that was one-use-only. Personally, first I would use some Blue Hylomar sealant on the old one, unless upon removing it I discovered a feature which truly makes it one use only (perhaps partial threading with some kind of softer insert to provide sealing?). By the way, I found Blue Hylomar at Pep Boys (if it is good enough for Rolls Royce jet engine sealing a little crankcase plug should be no big deal).
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #9450
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Did you check to see if it was torqued correctly?
Yeah I checked the torque, it didn't budge at even a couple more foot pounds over spec.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote