Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #9541
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
...and hop on one foot while tugging on your left earlobe. I've never owned a vehicle that required me to hold the gas hose in the filler neck so gas doesn't spew all over hell and back. This is a ridiculous design feature! If the purpose of those bars is to prevent damage to the fuel pump, they could've achieved the same result with an angled tube that holds the gas hose in a stable manner while refueling, and it probably would've cost less than welding those damn bars into the filler neck!

Sell it and buy a BMW, Im sure they have the filling hole all figured out just for you.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #9542
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The Tiger955i does the same if you point the nozzle in the wrong direction. On that bike you have to point it at the pillion footpeg. It's not the bars that are the problem. It's the shape of the tank inside.
Anyway, try not to let it get to you. Just find that sweet spot and get on with it. Once you're used to it it's fine. Not an issue at all.
I'm used to that filling routine with the Girlie, so I'll give it a shot with this one. Thanks.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #9543
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Sell it and buy a BMW, Im sure they have the filling hole all figured out just for you.
No thanks, I like British Kool-Aid...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #9544
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Sorry should have clarified. If you have either or both of heated grips / Aux lights then a ram handlebar mount on the left will restrict movement with a tank bag fitted. If you don't have the extra switches you are probably ok.
It would also depend on what RAM handlebar mount you use. Regardless, common sense has to have some place here. The "universal" hb mount from RAM is nearly as restrictive in use as the Triumph mount though much cheaper. I like my U-bolt style mount personally since I can put it anywhere and move it to a different bike, mounting it anywhere on that bike as well, should I so choose. It's inexpensive, effective and the most flexible option out there.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #9545
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
...and hop on one foot while tugging on your left earlobe. I've never owned a vehicle that required me to hold the gas hose in the filler neck so gas doesn't spew all over hell and back. This is a ridiculous design feature! If the purpose of those bars is to prevent damage to the fuel pump, they could've achieved the same result with an angled tube that holds the gas hose in a stable manner while refueling, and it probably would've cost less than welding those damn bars into the filler neck!
Well Triumph has clearly made one hell of a bike if this is what folks are left bitching about now that the stalling recall is done and pretty much forgotten.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #9546
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Well Triumph has clearly made one hell of a bike if this is what folks are left bitching about now that the stalling recall is done and pretty much forgotten.
Agreed!
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #9547
fbj913
I ride

Impatiently Awating

Wile you guys go round and round about GPS placement I am very Impatiently Awaiting a bigger gas tank. Come on Safari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this article doesnt mean its going to take 12 months to make a tank!!! Also, I wonder how much a metal tank will be? Maybe they will make it out of alluminum... How sweet would that be? Im not aware of any oversized metal tanks...

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/L...adventure.html
Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #9548
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Wile you guys go round and round about GPS placement I am very Impatiently Awaiting a bigger gas tank. Come on Safari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this article doesnt mean its going to take 12 months to make a tank!!! Also, I wonder how much a metal tank will be? Maybe they will make it out of alluminum... How sweet would that be? Im not aware of any oversized metal tanks...

If you really must have more than the 200miles plus you can get from the 800 then carry one or more of those fancy rota whatever containers.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #9549
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,403
Not much to bitch about with this bike. One thing is getting aftermarket parts quickly. I ordered luggage racks from CLI_MAX and their price was almost $100 cheaper than any other company for GIVI equipment (thanks Yossarian). Unfortunately they couldn't tell me exactly when they would show because they had to get them from Italy then ship them to me. The savings is worth the wait, but I think there could be a more efficient method.

I am going on a couple week ride when they do arrive, unless of course there are 4 ft of snow by then.

Ordered Fly boots and parts to repair a Shoei helmet from Motorcycle Superstore. 48 hours later they are sitting on my step, no shipping costs.

Maybe after the bike has been around for a few more years the parts will be easier to access.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #9550
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,827
Quote:

since safari works with plastic (like all the other aftermarket tank mfg) i would expect nothing but a plastic tank.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #9551
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
since safari works with plastic (like all the other aftermarket tank mfg) i would expect nothing but a plastic tank.
That will not work. Every wonder why all fuel injected bikes have a metal tank?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #9552
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,168
Quote:
Not true. My S3 and Sprint have FI and both have plastic tanks. I think the modern dirt bikes that use FI also have plastic tanks.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #9553
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Not true. My S3 and Sprint have FI and both have plastic tanks. I think the modern dirt bikes that use FI also have plastic tanks.

Strange. No the modern dirt bikes have alluminum tanks. Are you sure they arent lined? I am under the impression that they have to be metal because they are pressurized. Idk, I do know the new suzukis are aluminum.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #9554
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,663
Quote:
Strange. No the modern dirt bikes have alluminum tanks. Are you sure they arent lined? I am under the impression that they have to be metal because they are pressurized. Idk, I do know the new suzukis are aluminum.
Fuel pressure is not created in the tank. It's created in the fuel delivery line from the pump to the throttle bodies. A fuel return line goes back to the pump or tank. Fuel in the tank is kept at atmospheric pressure.

Both my 1098 and TE610 are fuel injected and use plastic tanks, and the Tiger of course has a steel tank.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #9555
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
say what????

My 2002 Aprilia MilleR FI def. not a metal tank, any LC8 KTM now all FI no metal tanks in sight
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote