Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #946
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking

This thread used to be a fun place to be, but now the whiners (tyres not good, shock mounted too low etc etc etc) seem to have taken over.

Nobody forces anyone to buy this bike, don't like it get something else.

ah well

c of g way too high, i'm not getting one unless it has underseat tank cuz it will definitly be a pos without that, just kidding, sort of
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #947
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dr
Dear Triumph,

I am not a fan of your introduction games on the Tiger 800 XC. Now that you have actually shown us something to look at, I thought I might reward that by telling you why I am interested in your offering. By the way, thanks for finally giving us a good look at the bike.

A little about me. I am in my late 40's. The last kid is off to college. I live in Colorado. I have owned mostly off-road bikes or dual sports. I currently ride a WR250F which I have made street legal, which is reasonably easy to do here in Colorado.

I am looking for a bike that I can ride here in Colorado both solo and with my wife along.

I live at around 6,000 ft elevation. The riding here goes from about 4,000 ft along river valleys to over 12,000 ft passes. Due to the large range in elevation, fuel injection is very desirable. A typical trip that I am imagining includes two hours of paved roads to get to dirt roads. The road could go up over a pass over the Continental Divide. At the other end of the day is some more paved road to town for an overnight stay. The next day is similar, a mix of paved and back roads over some other route back home. I have done some of this in the past, solo on a KLR650.

Here are my thoughts on some bikes I have considered:

KLR650
I owned one several years back. It is the only true ADV bike that I have owned. Cramped seating for two, no fuel injection, poor suspension, single cylinder gets buzzy at higher RPMs.

DR650
One of my friends had one. I rode it on many occasions. Cramped seating for two, no fuel injection, better suspension than the KLR, single cylinder can get buzzy. Pretty good for fire roads.

F800GS
Haven't ridden one. My thoughts are based on what I have gleaned from owners on websites, like this one. Nice seating for two. Quirky suspension. Multiple cylinders makes it better for cruising. Although I like working on all the bikes I have owned, and quite a few of my friends' bikes, I wonder how hard it is to do my own work on a BMW. Expensive to buy and expensive to fix.

V-Strom 650
Haven't ridden one. Good seating for two. Simple suspension that can only be improved so much. Love the 90 degree V twin. Poorly designed fairing. Not quite as offroad capable as I would like.

The bigger bikes (1200GS and KTM Adv) are heavier and more expensive than what I need. I am not really considering them. But the 800 XC wasn't designed to compete with them, was it?

(My apologies to the owners of the above bikes for my unknowing assessments. I am trying to give Triumph some honest feedback about why I am interested in their offering. My impressions may be incorrect, but they are affecting my buying decision.)

Here is what I like about what I have seen of the new Tiger 800 XC. The triple will probably be very smooth. I like the inverted forks. Can't tell much about the shock. I would guess that any shortcomings in the suspension will be easier to remedy than with the BMW. Seating looks good for two. Rim sizes should allow for a nice selection of tires.

I am extremely interested in this new bike of yours. I wish that I could say that I will be purchasing one right away, but I will have to wait for more real information from you and an up close look. Even after that I will have to feel a little better about my personal economic outlook before I will be ready to write a check.

As I said at the top, I derided your chosen introduction process for the bike on this forum. Now that you are getting a little more serious about giving out information on the bike, I wanted to let you know what I see in the 800 XC. Next time you introduce a bike, consider using a process that is not as offensive to the people you are targeting the bike at.
What an amazing post! That is, amazingly stupid!

I'm amazed that you can give such forthright opinions on the V-Strom and BMW F800GS while admitting that you have never ridden these bikes... then go on to apologise to owners for your own ignorance! That is amazing! BTW, what is so 'querky' about the F800GS's suspension as it doesn't seem to be dissimilar to that on the new Tiger 800?

You start (and finish) by offering Triumph your special brand of marketing advice. I wonder how rewarded Triumph feel by your 'pearls of wisdom'!

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as keen to throw a leg over the Tiger 800 as the next man and it may well prove to be the 'ants pants', but at least ride a bike an do some credible research before you tell us how good (or bad) a bike is.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 04:48 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #948
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu

Note the lack of a rider and no suspension compression.

Are you guys really finding fault with a bike that hasn't hit the market yet?

Tell you what, how about one of you armchair engineers / hardcore offroaders / Dakar racers put some miles on one before you post such ridiculous garbage.

The swingarm linkage hangs below the frame on damn near every, if not all, bike(s) out there in an unloaded capacity on the sidestand, I bet.

I know that it does on my KLR, and I've beat the ever loving snot out of it and its dog bones are pristine.

Thanks
CA Stu
Good post Stu. Too much uninformed crap written by opinionated wannabies. The www is a place where anybody can crap on about anything incogneto and we're seeing our fair share of it here on this Tiger thread.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #949
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
I will respectfully disagree with the statement that says tires are the most important part of an offroad (off-pavement) bike. A few things come first in my opinion, which are intrinsic to the design of the bike or expensive to modify: ergos, suspension travel, spoke wheels, and the list goes on. Tires are the least part to worry about. Something you can easily pick, available off the shelve anywhere. And those tires the XC comes with will work very well on gravel, dirt roads, even on sand. Aggressive knobby tires are quite a bit over-rated in my opinion. But I understand some riders are not quite confident on off-pavement situations and prefer more aggressive tires. Perfectly all right. And easy to change. Certainly not what is the most determining factor on what is an off-pavement bike.

This bike, the XC, looks very interesting. I will certainly take it for a test ride. Looking forward to it.

Lion
Triumph claim it to be offroad not off pavement.

You have obviously never rode a bike offroad in the wet.
If you take a crf 450 and fit road based tyres, And I take one and fit road based suspension, who would win a race on an average endurance based track track? The bike with the tyres will win hands down.

You need speed and control before the suspension comes into play, without good tyres you don't have either.

craigrevo screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 05:28 AM
craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #950
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Finally !!! Something to really talk about!! Too bad Triumph made a BMW... Its a shame, I was hoping for something much better.
Really, so Triumph made a BMW? Along the same reasoning, BMW have just made an R1. Well, they both have 4 cylinder DOHC motors and by golly, BMW even copied Yamaha's 17" wheel sizes for their new S100RR. The barstards.

So what were you hoping for Craig, 23"/18" wheels for the Tiger?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #951
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Really, so Triumph made a BMW? Along the same reasoning, BMW have just made an R1. Well, they both have 4 cylinder DOHC motors and by golly, BMW even copied Yamaha's 17" wheel sizes for their new S100RR. The barstards.

So what were you hoping for Craig, 23"/18" wheels for the Tiger?
I can see his point, yes it isn't a BMW, but I would like to know if the designer actually designed it, or just traced the outline and filled in the middle bits.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #952
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
I think the designer sat and rode the BMW and said "what a great bike but it would be much better if they changed........" and then proceded to do the things he believed were needed and ended up with the Tiger.

Just speculating, but I wouldn't have a problem with that approach.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #953
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee1
I think the designer sat and rode the BMW and said "what a great bike but it would be much better if they changed........" and then proceded to do the things he believed were needed and ended up with the Tiger.

Just speculating, but I wouldn't have a problem with that approach.
LOL More like that looks cool, and seems to be selling well. Lets get a peace of that pie!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #954
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo
LOL More like that looks cool, and seems to be selling well. Lets get a peace of that pie!
That too
Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #955
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastrph
I like it too. I love my Wee Strom but just want a little better power/weight ratio, better brakes, and better suspension. Love the 19" front. Why'd BMW have to make the F650GS so friggin gay? :ymca
Homosexual gay or "my parents are chaperoning the party" gay?
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #956
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 283
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo
I can see his point, yes it isn't a BMW, but I would like to know if the designer actually designed it, or just traced the outline and filled in the middle bits.
Have you ever designed something?

Here's how I'd design a new bike.....

1. Pick a purpose (suspension travels etc)
2. Choose a style
3. Choose ergonomics (ie make it to fit the average user..male 6' 200lbs)
4. Assign the knowns (footpeg to seat height handlebar relationship etc)
5. Find an engine
6. Design a frame
7. Dress it to sell
8. Make a few quid.
2.5. Release a spy shot or two......

Start a thread describing the evolution of the perfect "original" adventure bike Craig....Be sure to give details on the frame design along the way after you have the engine sorted...... I'm always willing to learn from the more experienced designers among us.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #957
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Have you ever designed something?

Here's how I'd design a new bike.....

1. Pick a purpose (suspension travels etc)
2. Choose a style
3. Choose ergonomics (ie make it to fit the average user..male 6' 200lbs)
4. Assign the knowns (footpeg to seat height handlebar relationship etc)
5. Find an engine
6. Design a frame
7. Dress it to sell
8. Make a few quid.
2.5. Release a spy shot or two......

Start a thread describing the evolution of the perfect "original" adventure bike Craig....Be sure to give details on the frame design along the way after you have the engine sorted...... I'm always willing to learn from the more experienced designers among us.
Nope. You start with the tires.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #958
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastrph
I like it too. I love my Wee Strom but just want a little better power/weight ratio, better brakes, and better suspension. Love the 19" front. Why'd BMW have to make the F650GS so friggin gay? :ymca
Also, you ride an Wee Strom, yet think the F650GS is "gay"?

Time to come out of the closet.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #959
ENDODB4
b00n

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Also, you ride an Wee Strom, yet think the F650GS is "gay"?

Time to come out of the closet.
Hey, I ride a Wee Strom and it's far from gay! By the way (only use "an" before a word that starts with either A E I O U and sometimes Y.

ENDODB4 screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 09:38 AM
ENDODB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #960
tsak8
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking

This thread used to be a fun place to be, but now the whiners (tyres not good, shock mounted too low etc etc etc) seem to have taken over.

Nobody forces anyone to buy this bike, don't like it get something else.

ah well

Yeah burgerking
tsak8 is offline   Reply With Quote