Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #9633
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
A warning.

I had washed my XC throughly which involved a little water around the battery area to clean off the dust and other debris. I started her up to dry it off and then sprayed it over with Motrex Protect & Shine to give it all a nice sheen. I then parked it in the garage and put a cover over it and left it for about 4 weeks.
The other day I plugged in the Optimate to give the battery a boost but the red "Disulphate" light came on. Strange, I thought. I turned the ignition key and nothing happened as if the battery was completely dead. I left the Optimate plugged in to see what would happen. Later the Optimate was showing "charge" so I though all was well. Next morning the Optimate was indicating a weak battery. Still nothing when I turned the key.
Time for further investigations. I checked the battery volts and it was 12.95 so all's well there. I checked all the fuses in the two boxes next to the battery and they were all good. So I went looking for a main fuse. Couldn't see one, so I phone my friendly dealer (Carl Rosner) and John steered me towards a clear plastic cover on the side of the solenoid.
Out with the battery and I discovered that the bottom of the battery box was still wet. There was a 3mm(ish) layer of crud which had soaked up the water that had drained down there.
This is after I had mopped the damp crud but you can get an idea of how dirty it is down there. The screw driver is in the blocked drain hole.....

I got the solenoid out and this is what I found......

The pale green thing is the new 30A main fuse.
I cleaned it all up and reassembled and everything came to life again. Bike started, problem solved.

The warning is to keep that drain hole clear and take out the battery occasionally to clean out the battery box.

My guess is that, because the engine air intake is also in the battery box it draws dust and other rubbish (I also found a couple of leaves) in through the big hole in the front of the box (covered by a loose rubber flap) and some of this dust settles in the bottom.
I think Triumph should have a rethink in this area because putting a piece of high amps equipment at the bottom of a box that can fill with water is not a good idea. It's also a real pain to get at that main fuse.
Thanks for the heads up thats good info!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #9634
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
A warning.

I had washed my XC throughly which involved a little water around the battery area to clean off the dust and other debris. I started her up to dry it off and then sprayed it over with Motrex Protect & Shine to give it all a nice sheen. I then parked it in the garage and put a cover over it and left it for about 4 weeks.
The other day I plugged in the Optimate to give the battery a boost but the red "Disulphate" light came on. Strange, I thought. I turned the ignition key and nothing happened as if the battery was completely dead. I left the Optimate plugged in to see what would happen. Later the Optimate was showing "charge" so I though all was well. Next morning the Optimate was indicating a weak battery. Still nothing when I turned the key.
Time for further investigations. I checked the battery volts and it was 12.95 so all's well there. I checked all the fuses in the two boxes next to the battery and they were all good. So I went looking for a main fuse. Couldn't see one, so I phone my friendly dealer (Carl Rosner) and John steered me towards a clear plastic cover on the side of the solenoid.
Out with the battery and I discovered that the bottom of the battery box was still wet. There was a 3mm(ish) layer of crud which had soaked up the water that had drained down there.
This is after I had mopped the damp crud but you can get an idea of how dirty it is down there. The screw driver is in the blocked drain hole.....

I got the solenoid out and this is what I found......

The pale green thing is the new 30A main fuse.
I cleaned it all up and reassembled and everything came to life again. Bike started, problem solved.

The warning is to keep that drain hole clear and take out the battery occasionally to clean out the battery box.

My guess is that, because the engine air intake is also in the battery box it draws dust and other rubbish (I also found a couple of leaves) in through the big hole in the front of the box (covered by a loose rubber flap) and some of this dust settles in the bottom.
I think Triumph should have a rethink in this area because putting a piece of high amps equipment at the bottom of a box that can fill with water is not a good idea. It's also a real pain to get at that main fuse.
I try to make it a point not to put away a wet bike.. If im going to give it a good wash I'll will alow some time for a ride afterward.
Was the seat off or on bike during washing?
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #9635
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Kind of like a signature line with 14 bikes (and mileage). Just sayin'.
A fair point but I disagree because the signature is below the message finish line. I found that because the "sent from" thing was in the massage field my eye was drawn to it thinking it was part of the posted message. It got me every time. I find I rarely read peoples' signature.

Anyway, your man has disabled it now. Thanks Kildareman.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 02:48 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #9636
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
I try to make it a point not to put away a wet bike.. If im going to give it a good wash I'll will alow some time for a ride afterward.
Was the seat off or on bike during washing?
Riding afterwards is all very well if you have time and the roads are dry. Otherwise it'll be back to square one. A ride wouldn't have helped if the drain hole was blocked and water had somehow filled the battery box.
This wash was after a 6000 mile tour including dirt roads. Under the seat was absolutely covered in crap. So, I figured that these bikes are designed to run through rivers and such so I gave it a squirt with cleaner and sprayed it off with the hose. All would have been OK if the drain hole had been clear and the bottom of the box was clean. That drain hole is only about 6mm diameter and all it takes is a leaf or a small stone or something to block it. During the wash I found a butterfly on top of the battery and a couple of Silver Birch leaves in the bottom of the box.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #9637
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Need a Center Stand

I will be purchasing a center stand soon and it looks like the Triumph stand is the only viable option, except the exorbitantly priced Hepco & Becker unit ($250). So, if I buy the Triumph center stand, will it have inferior springs that need to be changed out for the recall springs? This will most likely be an internet or phone purchase due to the local Triumph dealer's ignorance of such things.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #9638
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I will be purchasing a center stand soon and it looks like the Triumph stand is the only viable option, except the exorbitantly priced Hepco & Becker unit ($250). So, if I buy the Triumph center stand, will it have inferior springs that need to be changed out for the recall springs? This will most likely be an internet or phone purchase due to the local Triumph dealer's ignorance of such things.
All center stands now come with the upgraded springs AFAIK. I ordered BEFORE the update came out and my order was delayed because of upgrade and when I picked it up, my dealer confirmed it contained the same springs found in the recall kit.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #9639
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Go here, they have very good prices--
http://www.madss.com/

I ordered the center stand from them and it seems to have the upgraded spring. Only problem I had was the rubber bumper was bad, when I tried putting it in the hole the piece that holds it in the hole broke off so I just used some blue silly cone and bob's your uncle.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #9640
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post

I ordered the center stand from them and it seems to have the upgraded spring. Only problem I had was the rubber bumper was bad, when I tried putting it in the hole the piece that holds it in the hole broke off so I just used some blue silly cone and bob's your uncle.

Jerry
I lost my rubber bumper also - what did you do to fix it - it seems you used the bumper that came with the center stand but had to glue it somehow ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #9641
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I lost my rubber bumper also - what did you do to fix it - it seems you used the bumper that came with the center stand but had to glue it somehow ?
Glue is your friend, any of the silicone adhesives(aka RTV) will do the trick, I just happened to have some Loctite Superflex Blue RTV available and just smeared some on the bumper and stuck it to the bracket, has stayed on so far.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #9642
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Glue is your friend, any of the silicone adhesives(aka RTV) will do the trick, I just happened to have some Loctite Superflex Blue RTV available and just smeared some on the bumper and stuck it to the bracket, has stayed on so far.

Jerry
Ah, OK. I've totally lost mine - I need a replacement.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #9643
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:

Jerry
Done. Thanks alot Jerry. You just saved me $45 on the center stand and headlight guard. I owe you a beer or three. Appreciate the tip on the bumper too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #9644
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Done. Thanks alot Jerry. You just saved me $45 on the center stand and headlight guard. I owe you a beer or three. Appreciate the tip on the bumper too.
I'm just glad I could help and if I ever get out your way I will take you up on the beers

Jerry

Sent from my garage work shop while machining mirror extenders for FZ6's
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #9645
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Within a couple of hours of placing my order, I got an email from Madss Parts stating that "Triumph has issued a stop sale on 11/8 on all Tiger 800 stands until their engineering review is completed." Hmmm.