Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #9931
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The problem is that if it's strong enough AND attaches to the lowest point of the passenger footpeg, it will result in a bent passenger footpeg hanger (because of good leverage at the lowest point), which is part of the frame.
The other thing that I liked about the Wolfman racks, the front lower anchor point is on the main frame which is very unlikely to bend as opposed to the footpeg mount.

The Rotopax *could* be mounted inside the rack, however, you would be unable to remove it because of the way the mount works. The plate mine is on is made for the Wolfman racks and comes with a mounting strap extension for the Wolfman soft luggage which I have as well.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #9932
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Am going on a test ride tommorow weather permiting on a 800xc - looking at a bike that i can have the missus on the back with panniers and when shes not with me will be fun to ride and do dirtrides aswell -currently using a 1200 stelvio but i cant use it offroad way to heavy so it sits there just waiting for the missus -am i looking at the right bike with the 800 or do i keep looking, have owned multistrada great on road but thats it also, will i be disapointed with the power the 800 has with missus and luggage on board. thanks for help in advance
Put a deposit on an white xc abs today getting, engine guard, foglamps, softtopbag, tankbag, headlight protector, radguard,swingarm protectors, bobbins for paddock stand,arrow slip on,bash plate, frontmudguard extender i think thats it oh and will be changing tyres it was pouring with shiny surface on a very slight corner the front let go on the test ride brought it back ok but the bridgestone battlewings must be a shit tyre what should i be looking at putting on her was thinking maybe conti tkc80's -arse puckered with a $2500 excess for the test ride

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 12:49 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #9933
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Put a deposit on an white xc abs today getting, engine guard, foglamps, softtopbag, tankbag, headlight protector, radguard,swingarm protectors, bobbins for paddock stand,arrow slip on,bash plate, frontmudguard extender i think thats it oh and will be changing tyres it was pouring with shiny surface on a very slight corner the front let go on the test ride brought it back ok but the bridgestone battlewings must be a shit tyre what should i be looking at putting on her was thinking maybe conti tkc80's -arse puckered with a $2500 excess for the test ride
Congrats on the new bike. Lots of accessories there.

I don't think your experience of the tyres is normal. I ran them for 1500 miles through typical British shit June weather and thought they were quite good. In the case you mention I would say there was something on the road. However, having said that, they do seem a little temperature sensitive. The warmer the better. But considering that your winter is like our summer in that regard you shouldn't be having problems.
I changed mine at 1500 miles to fit some Heidenau K60 because I wanted to ride on dirt. If you intend to ride your XC in its natural habitat (dirt roads) as well as tarmac the K60 Scouts are a great all round tyre.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #9934
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Congratulations! My XC is similarly equipped without the soft bags and tank bag. I think you will really enjoy it.

I have not had any problems in the wet with my Battlewings - and I have definitely ridden in some monsoons. Over the years, I have noticed that brand new tires do not grip well. I take it it easy for the first 200 miles until they are scrubbed in. I think it was a fluke, something on the road or new tires or both. I am pleased with the roadability of the Battlewings; but I will replace them with Scouts for better off road capability.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #9935
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
What a great thread on the Triumph tiger, I have been considering this bike for its size and abilitys off road. good stuff.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #9936
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
What a great thread on the Triumph tiger, I have been considering this bike for its size and abilitys off road. good stuff.
Welcome. Now all you've got to do is pays yer money.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #9937
CarlS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Future ten, welcome. Take a test ride and you will be hooked.
CarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #9938
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
the bridgestone battlewings must be a shit tyre what should i be looking at putting on her was thinking maybe conti tkc80's

I agree with the others who've said the BattleWing's actually a pretty good tire. It's been my go-to street touring tire on both my XC and the Wee-Strom I had before, and I've never had any complaints with it, even in cold, wet weather (and it'll certainly grip much better in the wet than a TKC-80). I agree with blacktiger that there was probably something slippery on the road.

That said, if you're planning to spend a lot of time on unpaved roads and trails, then TKC-80s would definitely be a better choice.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #9939
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I agree with the others who've said the BattleWing's actually a pretty good tire. It's been my go-to street touring tire on both my XC and the Wee-Strom I had before, and I've never had any complaints with it, even in cold, wet weather (and it'll certainly grip much better in the wet than a TKC-80). I agree with blacktiger that there was probably something slippery on the road.

That said, if you're planning to spend a lot of time on unpaved roads and trails, then TKC-80s would definitely be a better choice.

--mark
Stock tires are fine on dirt roads when dry. Slightest whiff of moisture and they are terrible.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #9940
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Has anybody seen a rack that fits to the passenger seat - I've seen GS' with the passenger seat replaced and a rack with a bag etc. in it's place.

Anybody ?

I like the idea of just being able to switch from one to the other as needed.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #9941
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
15tooth front sprocket

Any inmates with an 800xc equipped with ABS try this front tooth swap yet? I was hoping to get the Renthal part but after talking with a local Triumph dealer, they were suggesting there could be problems with the ABS performance if this was done (either engaging too soon or too late for example).

Also did it require a new chain or other adjustments?

Cheers
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #9942
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Has anybody seen a rack that fits to the passenger seat - I've seen GS' with the passenger seat replaced and a rack with a bag etc. in it's place.

Anybody ?

I like the idea of just being able to switch from one to the other as needed.

Cheers
It would be a fairly fun project to purchase a spare passenger seat, remove the upholstery/foam, and then construct something on the seat pan that fits your wants/needs.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #9943
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It would be a fairly fun project to purchase a spare passenger seat, remove the upholstery/foam, and then construct something on the seat pan that fits your wants/needs.
It would but I wonder how the plastic seat pan would hold up ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #9944
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It would but I wonder how the plastic seat pan would hold up ?
It is designed to carry the weight of a passenger.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #9945
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
It is designed to carry the weight of a passenger.
Good point, well made

I was thinking more how it would handle a rack/mount being attached to it - i.e. the bolts holding it in place to the seat pan. I guess if you use big fender washers you should be OK.

I just liked the seat racks I'd seen on GS' and I was wondering if anyone had started to build one commercially.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple