Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #10021
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Finally got the heated hand grips installed!! Thanks for the picks they were a big help deconflicting the vague Triumph instructions.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #10022
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Finally got the heated hand grips installed!! Thanks for the picks they were a big help deconflicting the vague Triumph instructions.
Do you have the link for the grips? I need to order a set.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #10023
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Do you have the link for the grips? I need to order a set.
http://www.madss.com/eshopprod_cat_7...d_Grip_Kit.htm
Old 12-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #10024
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I just like the idea of being able to switch easily from storage to passenger mode.

Try one of these maybe... http://www.thecycleguys.com/
fast rack, i use one on my scrambler, have not tried it on the T800 though. Just widens the seat and stiffens up the soft luggage
Hallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #10025
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
Try one of these maybe... http://www.thecycleguys.com/
fast rack, i use one on my scrambler, have not tried it on the T800 though. Just widens the seat and stiffens up the soft luggage
That is very interesting, never seen that before. Thanks for the link

Cheers

p.s. I was born 20 miles from Sheffield or as we say 'oop north Spent many a Sunday riding to Matlock Bath....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #10026
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I currently use a set of Aerostitch heated wraps on the Tigger but when these die (as I'm sure they will soon) I do want to fit some heated grips. Can anybody comment on how good these are compared to the Oxford grips - which are substantially cheaper ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #10027
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
I currently use a set of Aerostitch heated wraps on the Tigger but when these die (as I'm sure they will soon) I do want to fit some heated grips. Can anybody comment on how good these are compared to the Oxford grips - which are substantially cheaper ?

Cheers
I can't give a comparison but i rode today in rain with temps in the low 40's and the triumph grips on the high setting were actually hot. Loved it!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #10028
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

Cheers
Haven't tried the Oxfords. These original triumph ones seem to work nice. Comparable to the ones I had on my '95 GS PD.
The one thing I realized during the install was, how nice it was that they were designed for the bike. Everything 'just fit', the wires all the right length, wiring harnesses with multi-plugs waiting in the right spot, hole pre-drilled in the handlebar, in the right spot, grips fit perfectly etc..

Once I had all the plastic stripped off and the tank removed it was pretty fast.

While it is already stripped down it would be a great time to install the original fog lights! If you were considering them, it would save you having to tear it down twice , like I did.

Also the two LED back lit Buttons look pretty nice together , the top one is for the fog lights , green=on, the bottom one for the grips (green=low heat, red=high heat)
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #10029
Jack D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Introduction

This summer I bought a Tiger 800XC, my first brand NEW bike since 1978. I had Karoo tires put on as part of the deal. I bought it to explore New Mexico back roads looking for ghost towns and ranches. I am quite impressed with the bike except for the handlebars. I could not find any tapered bars with enough height and bend in them so I bought a set of Renthal 7/8" ATV bars and made collared shims to fit them into the handlebar clamps. I rode the bike 360 miles on the street to Moab (before the handlebar change) and then did the White Rim Trail. As expected it was a handful in the deep sand but everywhere else it did really well. After I returned home I began to wonder how it would be as a touring bike so I changed tires and rode it from Albuquerque to California and back which is over 1000 miles one way. It would be nice to have cruise control or a good throttle lock, a bigger tank and a better seat and I could see it as a long distance tourer. I have a website with links to various motorcycle trips I have done. There are links to the Moab and the California trip.
home.comcast.net/~cadshop

After the Karoos wear out I will try Heidenaus and TKC 80 tires. I really would like to find something that makes a 500 pound bike more manageable in the soft, twisty sand conditions.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #10030
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
This summer I bought a Tiger 800XC, my first brand NEW bike since 1978. I had Karoo tires put on as part of the deal. I bought it to explore New Mexico back roads looking for ghost towns and ranches. I am quite impressed with the bike except for the handlebars. I could not find any tapered bars with enough height and bend in them so I bought a set of Renthal 7/8" ATV bars and made collared shims to fit them into the handlebar clamps. I rode the bike 360 miles on the street to Moab (before the handlebar change) and then did the White Rim Trail. As expected it was a handful in the deep sand but everywhere else it did really well. After I returned home I began to wonder how it would be as a touring bike so I changed tires and rode it from Albuquerque to California and back which is over 1000 miles one way. It would be nice to have cruise control or a good throttle lock, a bigger tank and a better seat and I could see it as a long distance tourer. I have a website with links to various motorcycle trips I have done. There are links to the Moab and the California trip.
home.comcast.net/~cadshop

After the Karoos wear out I will try Heidenaus and TKC 80 tires. I really would like to find something that makes a 500 pound bike more manageable in the soft, twisty sand conditions.
Cool thanks for the link i bet you could make some sweet routes on Dualsportmaps.com
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #10031
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

Cheers
I had the Oxford grips on my Varadero which worked well. The Oxford has three heat settings while the Triumph ones only have two. I did have a problem with the two of the lights on the Oxford controller not working, however this did not affect the grips. I now have the stock Triumph ones on my T800. I paid the extra money for the Triumph grips because they look much cleaner. No rotating wires on the throttle and as mentioned previously all the wiring is just right. I only rode with them once before winter set in, but they work well. I only had to use the low setting to be effective. For me the cleaner look and factory accessory was worth the extra $$.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #10032
WildChildRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
New Triumph Explorer

Sorry the photos suck I was in a hurry and wasn't using the stock iphone camera app. Also the Triumph Area was a zoo. Pics from the IMS Show in Long Beach
New Explorer is really comfy but you better be taller than 5'8 to have a decent footing. I was on the tip of my tippy toes and the seat was in the lower position. I have a 30" 31" inseam. Bike looks really cool just honestly missing the Triumph look. It has a very big mix of Jap and Duc in it as well as BMW

few other bikes

WildChildRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #10033
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
I actually strongly recommend the Symtec grip heaters, which are much cheaper than the Oxfords. They work great, and installation is not difficult.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #10034
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:

Cheers
The Oxfords give good heat and the latest type has 5 settings BUT, the controller is prone to failure of one kind or another. Either the adjustment buttons give up or the lights stop shining as marloweluke describes above.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #10035
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Has anyone found a guard (home-brewed or purchased) for the mid-pipe section of exhaust ? I know Twisted Throttle did a video or something on one but they still haven't released a product yet. I have some new AD1 pants (which are very nice) but I am leery of wearing them on the Tigger until I get a guard in place.

Cheers
Maybe a universal heat shield like this?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eatshield.aspx
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote