User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #10231
The Mountain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Laugh Finally made it!

Wow, what a slog. Finally made it to the end of the thread. I'm planning to buy the Tiger 800XC later this year when it becomes available here in India. I hope to have some good feedback for the board on how the machine stacks up after being assembled from a knock-down kit at the new Triumph facility here wherever that is, as well as some pics from the cradle of civilization.

As it stands, I hope to buy a non-ABS orange XC. If Triumph India offers the same accessories as are available in the rest of the world, I'll be getting the Skidplate, the Rad guard, the centerstand, the engine bars, the machined levers (can't decide if I want a short brake or not), and the Arrow can. I have an old set of Eclipse integrated soft luggage (panniers and tailpack all one piece, plus an expandable tank bag) that I'll somehow adapt to the bike if I need to do longer trips. I'll hopefully be able to find and fit TKCs to it, as Metzeler, Mefo, Mitas, and Heidenau are emphatically not available here, and as far as I can tell, Michelin's DS offerings are either all-road Anakees or full-dirt. I realize the TKCs aren't the greatest in the wet, but the wide range of surfaces means I need the dirt grip more than I need perfect wet traction.

I'm in Eastern India, and the roads here are about 50% paved and the rest a mix of hardpack dirt, gravel, potholes, and cowpaths. Traffic can be anything from hordes of 110cc bikes to maniacal tour buses to herds of water buffalo to elephants. Additionally, the weather alternates between bone-dry from October to May, and raining every other day from June through Sept. It never gets below freezing, and is only really hot from April through early June, so no need for heated stuff. The area is poorly mapped, so GPS is a waste of money.

After reading through the thread, I will be certain to make sure the latest tune is loaded for the ECU. I'll also make sure the techs double-check *all* the bolts and bearings before I ride it out. A mud flap in front of the back tire is going to be a requirement, and it looks like I'm going to have to double-check the battery box to make sure that drain works. The import dealer networks here are weak at best, so far, so I expect Triumph will only have dealers in the big 5 cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Chennai, all of which are at least a few hundred miles from me. This means I'm gonna have to figure out how to manage scheduled services, especially the initial ones. I'll have to see if I can convince them to let me do the oil changes myself, since places here are pretty anal about paperwork and making sure all the i's are crossed and the t's dotted.

I'd love to hear from Tiger owners what they think of braking effort (re my interest in the machined levers Triumph offers); would a short front lever work? Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who has done riding away from civilization. What farkles/mods would you recommend that I'm missing? This bike will be a daily driver, as well as a weekend getaway vehicle.
The Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #10232
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
@ The Mountain
The arrow sounds nice but then so does the Scorpion I have fitted. And that's less than half the price. Bolts will lossen off so the. 500 mile service is just as important. Again with the levers mine came from Hong Kong not triumph. Short levers are a personal thing. I have a Shorty clutch & normal length brake.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #10233
The Mountain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
@ The Mountain
The arrow sounds nice but then so does the Scorpion I have fitted. And that's less than half the price. Bolts will lossen off so the. 500 mile service is just as important. Again with the levers mine came from Hong Kong not triumph. Short levers are a personal thing. I have a Shorty clutch & normal length brake.
The Scorpion probably does sound as good, but then, I won't have to pay the shipping and customs duties to bring the Arrow can to India where I would with the Scorpion. Shipping for something that substantial is likely to double the cost, before any import tariffs. Further, the Arrow will be covered under the bike's warranty if I have a problem. Also, the Arrow, assuming I can get it, will be considered OEM equipment, whereas the Scorpion wouldn't, and I don't want to have any issues with registration or other legalities.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #10234
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Where can I get a Scorpion in the US??? I have done so many searches and come up with nothing. Had one on my Wee Strom, carbon fiber, and it sounded so good. Everybody commented on that pipe. Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #10235
The Mountain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Where can I get a Scorpion in the US??? I have done so many searches and come up with nothing. Had one on my Wee Strom, carbon fiber, and it sounded so good. Everybody commented on that pipe. Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom
Erm, I googled "Scorpion Exhaust USA" and had several hits on the first page. Scorpion's own dealer locater has a place in Sonoma CA called TAW Performance.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #10236
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
So I'm asking for opinions about using the genuine Triumph top box with the optional backrest. Would it be useful for a pillion of small stature? No use having a plush backrest if she can't reach it.

I'm looking at the Triumph Australia web site and they have an interactive "build my bike" thing. The top box seems to be quite far back. Is there any adjustment in the position of the top box?

This is a long shot: would any folks on the forum have a photo of a pillion and top box on the 800?

thanks for advice!

The Triumph Top Box is fine for passenger. My girl rides all the time, she is small, and she loves it. I dont have the back pad on either. NO it doesnt adjust but it doesnt need to, it almost couldnt go any furthur forward.

Probably the best side pic ive got. I dont have any with a passenger.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #10237
kylerichards
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Side view...
Cheers Midpack.
2005 Honda CRF 230 F
kylerichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #10238
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hey Mountain,
15 years ago I backpacked through India and Nepal for about 8 months. I remember on occasion renting a Royal Enfield or a Yamaha 100 cc in a few locations. (Goa, Pondicherry and a big trip in the Kullu Manali valley)
I haven’t been to India since 1997 and things might have changed since, but if I were to travel with a motorcycle through that amazing country again, I would chose that Yamaha 100 over a Tiger or any other big bike for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
Wow, what a slog. Finally made it to the end of the thread. I'm planning to buy the Tiger 800XC later this year when it becomes available here in India. I hope to have some good feedback for the board on how the machine stacks up after being assembled from a knock-down kit at the new Triumph facility here wherever that is, as well as some pics from the cradle of civilization.

As it stands, I hope to buy a non-ABS orange XC. If Triumph India offers the same accessories as are available in the rest of the world, I'll be getting the Skidplate, the Rad guard, the centerstand, the engine bars, the machined levers (can't decide if I want a short brake or not), and the Arrow can. I have an old set of Eclipse integrated soft luggage (panniers and tailpack all one piece, plus an expandable tank bag) that I'll somehow adapt to the bike if I need to do longer trips. I'll hopefully be able to find and fit TKCs to it, as Metzeler, Mefo, Mitas, and Heidenau are emphatically not available here, and as far as I can tell, Michelin's DS offerings are either all-road Anakees or full-dirt. I realize the TKCs aren't the greatest in the wet, but the wide range of surfaces means I need the dirt grip more than I need perfect wet traction.

I'm in Eastern India, and the roads here are about 50% paved and the rest a mix of hardpack dirt, gravel, potholes, and cowpaths. Traffic can be anything from hordes of 110cc bikes to maniacal tour buses to herds of water buffalo to elephants. Additionally, the weather alternates between bone-dry from October to May, and raining every other day from June through Sept. It never gets below freezing, and is only really hot from April through early June, so no need for heated stuff. The area is poorly mapped, so GPS is a waste of money.

After reading through the thread, I will be certain to make sure the latest tune is loaded for the ECU. I'll also make sure the techs double-check *all* the bolts and bearings before I ride it out. A mud flap in front of the back tire is going to be a requirement, and it looks like I'm going to have to double-check the battery box to make sure that drain works. The import dealer networks here are weak at best, so far, so I expect Triumph will only have dealers in the big 5 cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Chennai, all of which are at least a few hundred miles from me. This means I'm gonna have to figure out how to manage scheduled services, especially the initial ones. I'll have to see if I can convince them to let me do the oil changes myself, since places here are pretty anal about paperwork and making sure all the i's are crossed and the t's dotted.

I'd love to hear from Tiger owners what they think of braking effort (re my interest in the machined levers Triumph offers); would a short front lever work? Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who has done riding away from civilization. What farkles/mods would you recommend that I'm missing? This bike will be a daily driver, as well as a weekend getaway vehicle.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #10239
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
The Triumph Top Box is fine for passenger. My girl rides all the time, she is small, and she loves it. I dont have the back pad on either. NO it doesnt adjust but it doesnt need to, it almost couldnt go any furthur forward.

Probably the best side pic ive got. I dont have any with a passenger.

That's a LOT of overhang for an OEM topbox. Triumph should come up with a better design that incorporates some rear bracing.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #10240
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
That's a LOT of overhang for an OEM topbox. Triumph should come up with a better design that incorporates some rear bracing.

Why? It's a little decieving. The bracket goes pretty far back. It works fine.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #10241
The Mountain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Hey Mountain,
15 years ago I backpacked through India and Nepal for about 8 months. I remember on occasion renting a Royal Enfield or a Yamaha 100 cc in a few locations. (Goa, Pondicherry and a big trip in the Kullu Manali valley)
I haven’t been to India since 1997 and things might have changed since, but if I were to travel with a motorcycle through that amazing country again, I would chose that Yamaha 100 over a Tiger or any other big bike for that matter.
Thanks for the thought. Actually, it has changed, a lot. The good roads are a lot better, and the bad ones are at least getting widened in many areas. I'm down in the flatlands, not up in the Himalayas, so the big bike makes more sense to me. Actually, the dual-sport revolution is just starting here. Hero (formerly Honda Hero) just introduced a 150cc dual-sport. Big bikes in general are becoming more commonplace here too. Just in my little second-rate city, there are at least 8 or 9 big bikes, including a VMAX, a Goldwing, a Harley V-rod, an R1, and a couple of Harley FLHs. All this despite the fact that bikes like the VMAX go for upwards of $37,000 here. Traffic speed is up too, as more "western" cars are hitting the roads. The little bikes can't keep up.

Also, I'm not traveling here. I live here, so I will be going places where the big bike will be an advantage.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #10242
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 619
Quote:

I'd love to hear from Tiger owners what they think of braking effort (re my interest in the machined levers Triumph offers); would a short front lever work?
welcome
I would go for the longer levers, the 800 has by far the worst brakes of the bikes I've ridden/bought in recent years, you will need all 4 fingers if you need to brake hard.
burgerking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #10243
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Erm, I googled "Scorpion Exhaust USA" and had several hits on the first page. Scorpion's own dealer locater has a place in Sonoma CA called TAW Performance.

TAW Performance is the U.S. distributor (wholesale only) for Scorpion Exhausts.

TAW Performance recommended this retailer to me http://indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php

Indysuperbikes had an excellent price ($305 (at the time) and free shipping.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.

Porky screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 08:26 AM
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #10244
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have the Jesse racks and cases with the stock exhaust. When I picked up my bike Al Jesse pointed out that if I ever elected to install a different pipe that there were three 1" spacer spools and a 1" strap extension which could be remove. This would also balance the distance of the two racks more evenly. So regardless of the Arrow pipe size the set up will still work. An added benefit just occurred to me, the rack set up would also work great with a set of soft bags. You won't go wrong with the Jesse's. The mounts and cases are solid and water tight ( 3 out of 7 day Colorado trip in rain/snow proved it). In the attached pic 2 of the 3 spools and 1 bracket are marked with blue tape. The other spool is out of the picture ahead of the exhaust mount.
Awesome! Thanks a lot. It looks like these will be the ones I'm going with.
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #10245
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'm a bit confused.

Do you mean the forks, which could be revalved/resprung, or do you mean the rear shock absorber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I am a bit confused as well TC (TurkeyChicken). What does the front fender have to do with the front forks getting some re-work done to them. Have you ridden the XC on any trails and if so please share you input on the suspension. I have ridden a little off road with it and it does very well for a stock set up, I was very surprised by it, but if you have some logical input, please tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
It would depend on what you call off road-the wheels would play a huge part in it i would say-but for dirt roads it would be fine as it is wouldnt it-the front forks on my xc need to be worked on to make it more offroad worthy {Thankyou for this info fello inmate}- {bottoming out}

Sorry for the confusion. What I'm essentially asking is if anyone has upgraded the 800 (non XC) front forks and rear shock to that of an XC or something with a little more travel. The reason I mentioned the front fender is the only real things I saw as a difference between the 800 and XC was the suspension and front fender being a little higher.

I ended up getting a killer deal on my non-XC and was simply looking to see if there's any advantage / means to make it more off-road worthy. I haven't had a chance to take mine out into the gravel or dirt yet so it might not even be worth it. It was more of a curiosity that struck me while i've been digging through this site.
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote