Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #10231
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Just installed new 705s front and rear, inflated to 40 psi, and adjusted the chain. My previous rear was a 705, so I don't think it is the culprit. Chain and sprocket wear are normal, though the chain doesn't have much adjustment left in it...will probably replace it and the sprockets at the 20,000 mile mark. I ride it mainly as a commuter (~120 miles round-trip/day), using superslab to work and twisties/dirt home. Wheels spin freely and I clean and lube the chain every week. I'm checking the valves Friday...will let you know what I find.
The dealer may have some answers ... hook up to computer, check for any codes ... but a curious problem for sure.

We've seen a few Air Filters on the Tigers collect a lot of crud. Maybe pull it out and have a good look? Air box may look clean ... but I'd want to see the filter. At 20K miles I'm thinking it's time for a new one?

After the valve adjust ... maybe run Chevron Techron for a couple tankfuls. Perhaps injectors or fuel system are a bit dirty? This may help restore some MPG? Good luck ... let us know what you find out!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #10232
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
How are you liking the tires? Have you tried them off-road?

Quote:
Just installed new 705s front and rear, inflated to 40 psi, and adjusted the chain. My previous rear was a 705, so I don't think it is the culprit. Chain and sprocket wear are normal, though the chain doesn't have much adjustment left in it...will probably replace it and the sprockets at the 20,000 mile mark. I ride it mainly as a commuter (~120 miles round-trip/day), using superslab to work and twisties/dirt home. Wheels spin freely and I clean and lube the chain every week. I'm checking the valves Friday...will let you know what I find.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #10233
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

One other thing since you ride mainly slab - Have you considered going with a 17T front sprocket? I would be curious if it would help mileage much and it may give you more room to adjust your chain.

Quote:
When I first bought her and up until about the 10,000 mile point, she was getting 46-48 mpg. After that she was getting 42-44 mpg. She just clicked over 17,000 miles and now I'm getting just over 38 mpg. The airbox looked fairly clean when I checked it over the weekend and this week I'll check the valves. Any other suggestions? She's had the Arrow pipe since new, and the Arrow mapping since about 1,000 miles.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #10234
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
One other thing since you ride mainly slab - Have you considered going with a 17T front sprocket? I would be curious if it would help mileage much and it may give you more room to adjust your chain.
Yes/no. If the chain has elongated enough, due to pin and bushing wear, so that it's at the end of its service life, it won't do much good to put on one or two new sprockets; the chain wear can't be reversed.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #10235
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

I was thinking more that the higher gearing may give him slightly better mileage. I agree that the chain needs to be changed. 20K out of an OEM chain is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Yes/no. If the chain has elongated enough, due to pin and bushing wear, so that it's at the end of its service life, it won't do much good to put on one or two new sprockets; the chain wear can't be reversed.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #10236
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 108
I'll take another look at the filter when I'm doing the valves...maybe a little more constricted than what I found on first inspection. If that checks out OK I might try the 17-tooth countershaft sprocket. I run a bottle of Techron through every month, so hope nothing in the FI is boogered up. I ran Techron through my Aprilia once a month and it gave me 127k miles without any fuel delivery problems. As for the 705s, they're a good compromise as long as you're not doing mud, sand, or baby-skull rock riding. I like them for fireroads, jeep trails, desert single track, and my commute. The Kenda big block was good for more aggressive off-road, but it only lasted me a month in the type of riding I do!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #10237
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll take another look at the filter when I'm doing the valves...maybe a little more constricted than what I found on first inspection. If that checks out OK I might try the 17-tooth countershaft sprocket. I run a bottle of Techron through every month, so hope nothing in the FI is boogered up. I ran Techron through my Aprilia once a month and it gave me 127k miles without any fuel delivery problems. As for the 705s, they're a good compromise as long as you're not doing mud, sand, or baby-skull rock riding. I like them for fireroads, jeep trails, desert single track, and my commute. The Kenda big block was good for more aggressive off-road, but it only lasted me a month in the type of riding I do!
Sounds like the Shinkos are pretty comparable to the Battlewings.

How did the valves look the first time you adjusted them. Did many need to be adjusted?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #10238
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 108
This weekend I'm checking the valves for the first time (I know, long overdue mileage-wise)...will let you know what I find.

As for the 705s, I think they're better than the Battlewings on just about every surface. My experience with the BWs was not good...first experience in 1" of sand made it very clear that they wouldn't be my tire of choice! Got lots of miles out of them on pavement, though...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #10239
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
If it's anything like mine, it started off halfway down the adjustment slot. I'll certainly be thinking of taking a link out when it reaches the end of the slot.
IMO there nothing inherently wrong with the chain fitted at the factory. It's an RK, made in Japan, chain. At least, the one on my bike is.
The other thing in the mpg equation is lubrication of the chain. I'm a great fan of Scottoilers and its ilk because that little bit of oil constantly dripping onto the chain not only keeps the sprockets happy but also helps it all roll around easier and thus reduce your fuel consumption.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #10240
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,402
Acerbis Hand Guards

Is anyone here running the acerbis rally pro hand guards? I remember someone on here talking about how they installed them not too long ago. I just installed mine today. I had no idea that the bar ends that the stock hand guards attach to were so long. I really didn't want to shorten my bars that much I'm not sure what my options were, other than using the stock bar ends and attaching them that way. Using that option I'm worried about the strength... Do you have to do that with all of the aftermarket hand guards?

fbj913 screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 04:40 PM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #10241
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Is anyone here running the acerbis rally pro hand guards? I remember someone on here talking about how they installed them not too long ago. I just installed mine today. I had no idea that the bar ends that the stock hand guards attach to were so long. I really didn't want to shorten my bars that much I'm not sure what my options were, other than using the stock bar ends and attaching them that way. Using that option I'm worried about the strength... Do you have to do that with all of the aftermarket hand guards?

Dang, I'm looking at the multi concept pro... was going to buy them next week. I hate to here that they wont work well. So how bad will using the stock bar ends be? I just spent several hours running heated grips (symtec) through the stock bar ends. I wont be very happy if I've hobbled myself with hand guard issues.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #10242
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I used the stock treaded inserts that came the bike, if it shears that bolt off...I'll be impressed as I would have survided a pretty big hit.
Those Acerbis are soft & the aluminum tends to bend & change shape when dropped. I always used them as they were cheaper than Cycra's, however I got tired of droping the bike & having them bend & jam my levers. Switched to Cycra brand on all my bikes.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #10243
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
I was thinking more that the higher gearing may give him slightly better mileage. I agree that the chain needs to be changed. 20K out of an OEM chain is pretty good.

Has anyone played with different sprocket combos yet?

Im looking at these as my do almost it all bike, including highway touring. If I could swap counter shaft sprocket to knock down the rpms some at higher highway speeds, Id probably be sold on one. Most of the older guys Id be rolling with when Im not alone have touring rides, and have no problems running 80+ mph for hours at a time.

Or should I be looking at a little larger, more touring oriented bike? The 800XC seems like it fits the bill, on everything Id do with it, less extended high(ish) speed highway traveling.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #10244
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Im not getting what your saying. The Tiger is more than capable of touring at 80+ mph and gearing down for adv riding on dirt.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #10245
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Dang hot!

What is the source of the heat on the right leg, and can anything be done about it?

I've read a little - speculation about the cat, radiator...
Has anybody switched to full racing exhaust, or the Arrow system and eliminated the cat?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote