Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #10771
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
[QUOTE=fbj913;17868078]haha, sorry guess I should have thrown that in. Heidenau K60 Scout 150 size.

That thing looks like you could use it on a tractor!
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #10772
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
[QUOTE=Poweranger;17868660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
haha, sorry guess I should have thrown that in. Heidenau K60 Scout 150 size.

That thing looks like you could use it on a tractor!

I hope it performs like a tractor tire!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #10773
OdieWyatt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
The first version was attached directly to the rails. The shields and frame got really HOT. The top of engine is bolted to the frame plus radiant heat from the engine itself I supposed was the cause. I was also concerned about heat build up under the tank might not be so beneficial to the electronic stuff under there. The current version allows the hot air to flow through and behind my legs and the frame gets no hotter than it did without shields..The trade off is that I lost 1" of knee room but that hasn't been a bother.

As I see it, the problem is that the hot air is allowed to flow directly back and is funneled into the inter thighs and crotch area. . I have a similar bike (800GS) that gets hot on the right side but it has fairings that redirect the heat down so I can open my knees a little and the hot air just flows through. These shields have the same effect.

There is indeed a wide range of tolerance by riders on this issue. You have manly men like Johno and Andoulli who don't bitch about it and others like me who whine and complain about roasted nuts.
Jim

Madstad recommends removing their side deflectors in the heat of the summer. Have you done that and if so how does it effect the heat that you feel?
OdieWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #10774
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieWyatt View Post
Jim

Madstad recommends removing their side deflectors in the heat of the summer. Have you done that and if so how does it effect the heat that you feel?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #10775
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Jim

The Madstad deflectors have nothing to do with the engine heat. They are for deflecting air from under the windshield off your upper body, I didn't remove them for the summer, but I did lower the windshield 2". Most of my riding is above 55mph and I found I got plenty of breeze through the mesh jacket and was still able to leave the face visor up. They come off in under a minute but I just preferred to keep them on. If I did a lot of slow urban riding, I probably would take them off

The engine heat is a below the gas tank problem (except in the winter then it's a feature). It is the same regardless if I have the OEM shield of the Madstad on.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 05:09 PM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #10776
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
I have a naked S4 and it doesnt get hot but the Tiger is unbearable at low speeds and lights i have to ride open legged at times - I read an article selling the bike somewhere that a feature of the bike was the engine coating { sorry cant remember exactly } would this coating [looks like baked enamel where as the monsters engine is natural } be turning the engine like an iron with constant heat

If none of this makes sence or is just damn stupid my apologies

very interested in those shields
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #10777
OdieWyatt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
How about under tank / engine airflow on the 800 no beak compared to the XC with a beak. Does one or the other get more air (and cooling) at speed?
OdieWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #10778
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
How about under tank / engine airflow on the 800 no beak compared to the XC with a beak. Does one or the other get more air (and cooling) at speed?
I put a beak on my 800, airflow is the same.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #10779
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
I've learned that thin and summer dont mix.

They are a pricey pant but the Olympia X Moto pants
Same thing, almost...

BMW summer trousers = single thickness Cordura. Breezy when moving, cool in the sun but I can feel the heat from the engine when the fan kicks in.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #10780
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
No difference. This "problem" happens when the cooling fan kicks in and draws air through the red hot radiator and blows it across the top of the engine. It then exits either side of the fuel tank onto your thighs.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #10781
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Same thing, almost...

BMW summer trousers = single thickness Cordura. Breezy when moving, cool in the sun but I can feel the heat from the engine when the fan kicks in.
My dad says this all the time, It's the same thing but different. It doesn't matter how to you shake it out its different. From what I can see that makes the biggest difference is that you do not have leather on the inside of your pant. This alone makes a big difference in the heat you could feel.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #10782
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
No difference. This "problem" happens when the cooling fan kicks in and draws air through the red hot radiator and blows it across the top of the engine. It then exits either side of the fuel tank onto your thighs.
You may be on to something there blacktiger. Although I get the heat regardless of fan on/off, the fact is the radiator is high and that flow is coming straight back into the thigh area. It also works into under the tank and comes out through seams in the plastics. Perhaps a redesign of the fan shroud to deflect that hot air downward might be the answer.

I've never been bothered with heat on my lower legs- just open my knees and let it flow through. Heat on my nuts is different.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 07:24 AM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #10783
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My dad says this all the time, It's the same thing but different. It doesn't matter how to you shake it out its different. From what I can see that makes the biggest difference is that you do not have leather on the inside of your pant. This alone makes a big difference in the heat you could feel.
I am not aware of any textile riding pants with leather in the crotch area. And wearing full leather pants down here in Florida is not an option for most of the year.....sweaty ball city
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #10784
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Any Triumph Tiger oil changer on line?

I'm in the process of doing my first oil change and when I removed the drain plug I noticed that there are 2 washers. Did the dealer forget to remove one? Are 2 really necessary?

Standing by.............
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #10785
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I'm in the process of doing my first oil change and when I removed the drain plug I noticed that there are 2 washers. Did the dealer forget to remove one? Are 2 really necessary?

Standing by.............
Should only use one washer.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote