Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #10816
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
If you're not dead set on Scorpion, they have a smoking' deal on the Leo Vince LV-One pipe for the Tiger800. I just bought one from Indysuperbikes last week. It comes with the quiet insert installed and sounds just right.
Indysuperbikes have just one exhaust listed for Triumph, for the D675

Edit: Found it. Boy that website sucks That is a smoking deal actually. One question, did you (or do you plan to) re-map at all ? One of the things I like about the Scorpion is you don't have to re-map. Not a deal breaker but I had hope to avoid that. That said, I cannot fine a Scorpion dealer selling a can for the Tigger anywhere in the US.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 07:46 PM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #10817
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
everyone is going to be different. a fork on any bike can be suited for what you want. have you ridden one? if not start there.
This is really the key point. I bought the road version because most of my riding is on tarmac and the roads here in Colorado are pretty bad. Coming from a Hyper S, the roadie's suspension feels just about right to me and I'm probably around 155 pounds fully geared up. Steering is neutral and the bike has sharp, light reflexes, but certainly not quite as light and sharp as the Hyper. The weather here has been good so I've been riding a lot lately and it's only reinforced the decision I made.

When I was still in the test riding stage I tested my actual bike back to back with an XC. The XC does have a more comfortable ride on rough surfaces but, to my way of thinking, both are pretty good for non-adjustable forks. If you weigh a lot more or a lot less than me, YMMV. For me, giving up the softer ride for sharper reflexes was the right call. The only minor drawbacks I noticed with the XC was more pronounced dive under hard braking and slightly duller reflexes. Neither is a deal breaker. The main reason I chose the roadie was for the tubeless tires. I'm not fond of tubes and, in my experience, modding or replacing wheels tends to be a hell of lot more expensive than modding or replacing suspension bits. For now though, the suspension seems fine for me.

My opinion may shift a bit when I start to ride some dirt and gravel mountain passes. If the bike is harsh, I'll slow down. My main reason for switching from Hyper to Tiger was so I could continue riding when tarmac turned to dirt. With the Hyper, I had to turn around. With the Tiger, I'll continue until the going gets too rough.

Honestly, if I was going to spend a lot of time in the dirt, I might have preferred an F800gs but would've probably opted for a smaller bike with 2 fewer cylinders.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #10818
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Indysuperbikes have just one exhaust listed for Triumph, for the D675

Edit: Found it. Boy that website sucks That is a smoking deal actually. One question, did you (or do you plan to) re-map at all ? One of the things I like about the Scorpion is you don't have to re-map. Not a deal breaker but I had hope to avoid that. That said, I cannot fine a Scorpion dealer selling a can for the Tigger anywhere in the US.
No remap yet, as I've only ridden it once since the install. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do because I don't want to lose any mpg, and the bike runs great with the Leo. As you can see the pipe looks stock, especially now since I removed the Leo Vince stickers/emblems, sorry no pics. It weighs quite a bit less too. Also, the quiet insert tip is a smaller diameter than the stock can, which leads me to conclude that maybe it doesn't need to be be remapped.

LV with quiet insert.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #10819
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Cord!

Hmmm...690 not cutting it or do you just want to fill out the garage?

If ya go Tiger'in we've got the Top Rack for you...soon (don't know if you saw the proto at the show?)

BTW I think we may be tryin to go for a little ride Friday or Saturday...

Dave

Doh! I've been spotted.

Hey Dave...

No, the 690 is what I want for now for what I would personally want to do dualsport-wise. And even though in my opinion it's one of the only thumpers you can take on the highway for decent distances without losing your fillings, it's not a bike that my partner will go on....so by owning it, I've given up day/weekend rides with her.

And of course I'll be calling you if I get either T800's for that top plate. I did see the demo version and as always, your stuff is top notch.

Thanks for the offer but won't be able to ride this week though. The Achilles heel of the 690 is the upper tank bolts...and mine have sheared off. Waiting on some parts. Have fun if you go.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #10820
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Here's another option - since you are looking for a two-up highway bike with a triple and lots of comfort, why not a Tiger 1050?

That, and others, have definitely crossed my mind.

I have no doubts that I would like the 1050 as an all day tarmac eater, but I *may* need more versatility....

I'll test ride a bunch of bikes to get the feel for what I want before pulling the trigger on something.

Then I'll most likely make an odd, irrational decision and throw the research out the window.

CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #10821
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
Bad day yesterday

Went to climb one of my favorite dirt hills yesterday when I threw the chain, which subsequently poked a roughly 1" square hole in the engine case directly in front of the countershaft sprocket...so, I'll be spending part of the weekend learning (from an experienced mechanic) how to use JBWeld!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #10822
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Went to climb one of my favorite dirt hills yesterday when I threw the chain
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Did the chain break, or did it come off the rear?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #10823
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Do you have a direct link perhaps ? I'm trying to find a dealer in the US and I am having no luck at all - Indy do not show a can for the Tigger and everywhere else that supposedly sells Scorpion in the US is either lying or doesn't have one for the Tigger.

Click on the link in the post.. Their phone number is on the website. Call them.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.

Porky screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 06:20 AM
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #10824
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
No remap yet, as I've only ridden it once since the install. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do because I don't want to lose any mpg, and the bike runs great with the Leo. As you can see the pipe looks stock, especially now since I removed the Leo Vince stickers/emblems, sorry no pics. It weighs quite a bit less too. Also, the quiet insert tip is a smaller diameter than the stock can, which leads me to conclude that maybe it doesn't need to be be remapped.

LV with quiet insert.

I installed one last year with the original map. Its seemed slightly lean on cold start with the DB killer in place but OK when warmed up. I tried it without the DB killer for a few weeks and you could feel it was lean even after coming up to temp. Too loud for me so I replaced the DB killer.
Since getting the remap for the stalling issue (mine never stalled BTW) the bike seems to run fine. If I do decide to play with the map I'll get a Teclusion so I can play with it rather than have the Arrow map installed.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #10825
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian™ View Post
ouch. Sorry to hear that.

x 2 ???
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #10826
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

LV with quiet insert.
Just an FYI. I ride with a guy that runs this same pipe, I have stock. We are out of gas at pretty much the same exact time. I think he has a remap of some sort. I'm a little faster than he is and I enjoy twisting the right hand in the lose stuff. On long gravel/ offroad rides I have even taken a little more gas than he does. So, I would say gas mileage does not change at all.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #10827
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
I installed one last year with the original map. Its seemed slightly lean on cold start with the DB killer in place but OK when warmed up. I tried it without the DB killer for a few weeks and you could feel it was lean even after coming up to temp. Too loud for me so I replaced the DB killer.
Since getting the remap for the stalling issue (mine never stalled BTW) the bike seems to run fine. If I do decide to play with the map I'll get a Teclusion so I can play with it rather than have the Arrow map installed.
Good to know. I plan on leaving the DB killer in place. Why not just buy a cable and download maps from Tune ECU? I have one but haven't played with it yet.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #10828
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Just an FYI. I ride with a guy that runs this same pipe, I have stock. We are out of gas at pretty much the same exact time. I think he has a remap of some sort. I'm a little faster than he is and I enjoy twisting the right hand in the lose stuff. On long gravel/ offroad rides I have even taken a little more gas than he does. So, I would say gas mileage does not change at all.
Thanks for the feedback on mpg fbj. Would you mind asking your riding buddy what map he's running?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #10829
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on mpg fbj. Would you mind asking your riding buddy what map he's running?
He's a mechanic at the local shop and what it sounds like is its the Arrow map. I cant ever get a straight answer from him. Sometimes I don't wonder if they fool around with the computer and do a little self mapping. I will ask again.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #10830
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
It came off the rear...I rode it the 30 miles home, so I have nearly-new synthetic oil all over the place! I'll take some pictures throughout the repair process so you all can see the before and after.