Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #10891
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I had thought of getting them powder coated - would that be more restistant to scuffing I wonder ? To be honest, I figured they are power coated from the factory
I don't remember if mine were powder coated from the factory or not. The ones I took off have been turned into Bud Light cans by now.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #10892
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Technically, your not supposed to paint powder coating. Paint does not properly bond to the powder coating. Especially on areas that get rubbed by straps, paint will not stay looking good.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #10893
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I don't remember if mine were powder coated from the factory or not. The ones I took off have been turned into Bud Light cans by now.
I think they're painted and lacquered as standard.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #10894
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Technically, your not supposed to paint powder coating. Paint does not properly bond to the powder coating. Especially on areas that get rubbed by straps, paint will not stay looking good.
I like to paint common wear items because then when they get scuffed up I sand and repaint. Like the muffler guard for example. I painted it and now its all scuffed up. This week I will remove and repaint. blam, brand new again.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #10895
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
ocd?
nope, i just like to keep my things nice. i take pride in my stuff. a $12,000 plus motorcycle is something you should take care of.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #10896
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
a $12,000 plus motorcycle is something you should take care of.
I do. It gets everything it needs and some that it doesn't but I accept that nothing stays "as new" when it's used. Like the scuffs on the tank protection plastics when I put it down on a trail in the Pyrenees last year. There's no point in putting new ones on because it's likely that the new ones will get scuffed as well. Then I'll have two scuffed pieces.
Another case is after I crashed my 955 in France in 2004. It got a new fairing from the insurance but I took that off as soon as I got the bike back and put the damaged one back on....slightly scuffed around the edges. The new one is wrapped in bubble wrap in the shed ready for when I sell the bike.
It's called wear & tear.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #10897
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
I do. It gets everything it needs and some that it doesn't but I accept that nothing stays "as new" when it's used. Like the scuffs on the tank protection plastics when I put it down on a trail in the Pyrenees last year. There's no point in putting new ones on because it's likely that the new ones will get scuffed as well. Then I'll have two scuffed pieces.
Another case is after I crashed my 955 in France in 2004. It got a new fairing from the insurance but I took that off as soon as I got the bike back and put the damaged one back on....slightly scuffed around the edges. The new one is wrapped in bubble wrap in the shed ready for when I sell the bike.
It's called wear & tear.
When did you/we get off on side plastics and tanks? I'm happy for you. I'm so glad you have extra pieces laying around for your bike when your ready to sell. Unfortunally I don't feel that it is necessary to buy a new frame and have it setting around until I'm ready to sell.

So, I want to know if anyone has the same issue and if you do? Did you do something about it? If so what? Oh ya, and be careful if you dont have the problem no need to cause it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10921
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #10898
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
When did you/we get off on side plastics and tanks? I'm happy for you. I'm so glad you have extra pieces laying around for your bike when your ready to sell. Unfortunally I don't feel that it is necessary to buy a new frame and have it setting around until I'm ready to sell.

So, I want to know if anyone has the same issue and if you do? Did you do something about it? If so what? Oh ya, and be careful if you dont have the problem no need to cause it.
The point I was making and you've clearly missed is that you're going to spend money repainting parts of your frame because it got scuffed during your trip but it's just going to happen again when you go on your next trip. So what's the point? As I wrote earlier, the time to correct it is when you're planning to sell the bike.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #10899
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
The point I was making and you've clearly missed is that you're going to spend money repainting parts of your frame because it got scuffed during your trip but it's just going to happen again when you go on your next trip. So what's the point? As I wrote earlier, the time for me to correct it is when I am planning to sell the bike.
Blacktiger, you are a piece of work. You love to argue. You pick everything apart. I'm sure you have good information here and there but right now all your doing is trying to say that you are right and nothing else matter. Blacktiger is right and you are the god of all knowledge. I don't care that you think that I should wait to fix this issue. I did not ask if anyone thinks that I should fix my frame now or later. I did not ask because it's not relevant. All I want to know is if anyone has experienced it and if you have did you do something about it. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

No, it will not happen again. It will not happan again because now I know how to prevent it. It won't happen again because now I have happy trails racks that I mount my bags to. Quick Fucking Arguing!!! Shut the Fuck up!

Blacktiger, Read this. You would benifit.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692162

Oh yah and if you hadn't already noticed I fixed your statement above.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #10900
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Yes, every piece of machinery I've ever owned shows wear in areas where two things come into contact. I generally don't do anything about it if it's purely cosmetic. In some cases I've added a piece of electrical tape, cut up inner tube or thick piece of clear tape to minimize wear on an underlying area.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #10901
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post
Yes, every piece of machinery I've ever owned shows wear in areas where two things come into contact. I generally don't do anything about it if it's purely cosmetic. In some cases I've added a piece of electrical tape, cut up inner tube or thick piece of clear tape to minimize wear on an underlying area.

I'm not wondering how to prevent it. I'm not an idiot, I understand that things get worn out when used. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue and if you did, did you have luck cleaning it off.

Never mind I asked. I'll figure it out.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #10902
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
You love to argue. You pick everything apart.
Arguing your point of view is a routine part of any discussion. Picking things apart is known as analysis.
I'm done.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10903
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Sounds like water in the gas. Very easy to have happen over that period of time when it gets really cold in the garage. An easy way to prevent it is to be sure the tank is fully topped up. I've had that happen on a few of my bikes and normally a quick shake of the tank dissipates the extremely minimal amount of water that can cause this issue.
Do you mean, water from condensation or from filling up with some bad gas?

My ATV has some water in the tank and it would make backfiring sounds when trying to start.

Actually I had lifted the bike off the side stand and shuffled it around the shop making three point turns. The fuel was surely well shook.

I seem to doubt it was the fuel.

Thanks for taking the time for your input!
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #10904
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
IMO not necessarily.
My Tiger955 doesn't like sitting for months without being run. The first winter I had it (2002/3) I left it for about 10 weeks and it just wouldn't catch. Very much as you've described.
My theory is that when the engine stops, one or more of the valves are partially open and they get rust on the seat surface which prevents the valve sealing when you turn the engine over. That means there's no compression on that cylinder.
You just have to keep trying and when it does eventually start, keep it going by whatever means until it gets some heat into things and the rust gets worn off.
The answer for me now is that I start the bikes every month or so to keep it all good.
Interesting to hear, i had never even thought about that one.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #10905
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

There could be many many reasons, and the stepper motor is an easy thing to latch onto but if it was fine when you put it away and you don't house it somewhere dusty (I'm going to assume) then I'd look elsewhere initially.
I wonder if air could get into the fuel lines somehow and need to 'bled' out? I once had a diesel VW that would get like that after sitting three weeks.