Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #11191
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Buying and riding motorcycles is a money burner, don't buy one if you can't afford it. It's always fun that people easily have $100 for a torque wrench, booze on a weekend, or whatever else, but claim that thousands of hours spent on developing a software should be free ... as a software developer myself I can't really like such people ...
Oh I see what your problem is. The next time I make a wisecrack about wanting another ob2 tool for cheap, I will check to make sure no software engineers are listening.
For the record, the dealertool is on my list, along with many other things.

On a different note, my leo vince showed up today!
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #11192
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
Put new 705's on the XC today and rode it for 70 miles. Pretty good in the gravel so far.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #11193
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I think for windscreen comparisons you want his measurement from buttocks to top of helmet while sitting down. Inseam length is useful if you are discussing peg placement, but maybe too much variation from the crotch on up in each of us to use reliably when spending big bucks on windscreen mods? Just a thought.
Maybe I am missing something here but I always figured since we know our height and inseam readily that subtracting the two is a pretty good estimate of seated torso/head height. Yeah I know some might have more back than others but I think it is a pretty good estimate that if one is 6' and a 29" inseam and one is 6' with a 31" inseam it is fair to say the first one sits taller than the second. Or that someone that is 6'2" and 31" inseam sits pretty close to the height of the first one.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #11194
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm not pissed at all. I just don't like people that want all software for free. A developer is spending thousands of hours on the software. Buy it or don't, but don't question the work going in there with saying it needs to be free or cheap.

It's often enough the same group of people spending a lot of money on "lifestyle" things, like alcohol, motorcycles, phones, ... And then say that they don't want to spend the money for a song, a movie, a piece of software. I think this is sad.

And your other comment: I didn't know I had to ask you for permission to read and write here. And if I had known, I still wouldn't care ...
Last time I checked, Tuneecu was not COTS software is it ? So, I guess some software engineers do it for the challenge
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #11195
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Last time I checked, Tuneecu was not COTS software is it ? So, I guess some software engineers do it for the challenge
Oh boy, here it comes. Another glorified IT guy is gonna go off about how hard their job is.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #11196
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Ha!

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #11197
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Maybe I am missing something here but I always figured since we know our height and inseam readily that subtracting the two is a pretty good estimate of seated torso/head height. Yeah I know some might have more back than others but I think it is a pretty good estimate that if one is 6' and a 29" inseam and one is 6' with a 31" inseam it is fair to say the first one sits taller than the second. Or that someone that is 6'2" and 31" inseam sits pretty close to the height of the first one.
I was always under teh impression that torso remains relativey consistant, and it's inseam that varies.
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #11198
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
I totally agree that torso length is the most important measurement but then you can get into all kinds of other variables. Seat position (high.low), sheepskin, beads, risers, pullbacks, do you tend to sit straight or slouch?

All these things are why a certain windshield may work for one person but not another even if they are the same height.

Which is why I think an adjustable windshield like the Madstad makes the most sensible choice.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #11199
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Put new 705's on the XC today and rode it for 70 miles. Pretty good in the gravel so far.
Spooning on a good set of tires really improve the T800 in the dirt, gravel, sand etc.

I would rather give up some traction on the tarmac instead of off road, since I like riding the off road better.

BTW, why did you change your screen name?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #11200
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Steering Stem Lube Job.

I did something rather impetuous this evening. I lubed the steering bearings on the Tiger. I don't know if it was absolutely necessary. Some say that the grease application is too light. Some may say you really don’t really need copious amounts of grease. Since I needed to tighten up the assembly to get rid of a little play I went ahead and packed mine like a wheel bearing!

I decided to take a short cut in my procedure and it probably was a little risky the way I did it. The chances for disaster were very good. -Just a friendly word of warning.- Maybe if you had an extra set of hands it would be safer.

What I did was put the bike on the center stand. I attached the handle bar assembly to something that I could raise and suspend from the ceiling. I loosened up the upper pinch bolts and center steering nut (1-1/2” socket works great for that). I raised the assembly up and then removed the two steering adjustment nuts. Since the rear tire is in the air, as soon as you loosen those nuts the steering stem will lower. Make sure you have something in front of the front wheel so it doesn’t take off on you.

Then I lubed up the bearings. I lubed the lower bearing while it was still on the shaft. From the factory, there was more grease on the bottom than the upper.

Putting it back together is where the extra hands would come in handy. Since you have to feed the stem back up into the frame AND raise up the rear wheel to where it was before all this silliness began.

I tightened up the adjustment nuts with what I believe is some sort of bicycle crank nut tool. It doesn’t have any more play in the steering and I can’t feel the bearings grinding so I think I have it in the sweet spot.

I then grabbed the bottom of the front forks and pulled back and forth on them. The play appears to be gone.

Tomorrow a test ride in this freakishly warm winter weather!

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #11201
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I did something rather impetuous this evening. I lubed the steering bearings on the Tiger. I don't know if it was absolutely necessary. Some say that the grease application is too light. Some may say you really don’t really need copious amounts of grease. Since I needed to tighten up the assembly to get rid of a little play I went ahead and packed mine like a wheel bearing!

I decided to take a short cut in my procedure and it probably was a little risky the way I did it. The chances for disaster were very good. -Just a friendly word of warning.- Maybe if you had an extra set of hands it would be safer.

What I did was put the bike on the center stand. I attached the handle bar assembly to something that I could raise and suspend from the ceiling. I loosened up the upper pinch bolts and center steering nut (1-1/2” socket works great for that). I raised the assembly up and then removed the two steering adjustment nuts. Since the rear tire is in the air, as soon as you loosen those nuts the steering stem will lower. Make sure you have something in front of the front wheel so it doesn’t take off on you.

Then I lubed up the bearings. I lubed the lower bearing while it was still on the shaft. From the factory, there was more grease on the bottom than the upper.

Putting it back together is where the extra hands would come in handy. Since you have to feed the stem back up into the frame AND raise up the rear wheel to where it was before all this silliness began.

I tightened up the adjustment nuts with what I believe is some sort of bicycle crank nut tool. It doesn’t have any more play in the steering and I can’t feel the bearings grinding so I think I have it in the sweet spot.

I then grabbed the bottom of the front forks and pulled back and forth on them. The play appears to be gone.

Tomorrow a test ride in this freakishly warm winter weather!

Nice pics an walkthrough!

I had some play during the first stage of the break in. What the tech told me (and I also read someone's else's report here somewhere) is that they are greased during PDI. If there is an excess of grease then it can work it way out it and develop some play. All that is needed is to re-tighten the steering head. You may find yourself with play again if an excess of grease escapes.

Still, nice to see some innards and learn some tips, thanks.
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #11202
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
I would have to agree with this. I looked them over at the dealership and they won't hold up to a tip over. No way. My pelicans have been crash tested many times on my old DL650 and I plan to reuse them on the tiger.

This is on my list, very handy item to have around.
Speaking from my own experiences I can tell that they most definitely won't break from a tip over. I've got two or three of those incidents under my belt with the bike fully loaded, including two 50 liter luggage rolls on the pillion seat. Would they survive a heavier crash? Maybe, but probably not.

And the steel prong holding the bags in place haven't caused any damage to my legs either of the two times I low sided with the bike (without bags). First time due to a massive diesel spill and the other due to black ice.

I realize that I'm making myself look like a total klutz by telling you all this... ;)
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #11203
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Spooning on a good set of tires really improve the T800 in the dirt, gravel, sand etc.

I would rather give up some traction on the tarmac instead of off road, since I like riding the off road better.

BTW, why did you change your screen name?
I changed it because some folks assumed I was a dope smoking rastafarian and that was not the reference. It meant ride all summer but hey I am still the same obnoxious idiot as before!!!

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #11204
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Speaking from my own experiences I can tell that they most definitely won't break from a tip over. I've got two or three of those incidents under my belt with the bike fully loaded, including two 50 liter luggage rolls on the pillion seat. Would they survive a heavier crash? Maybe, but probably not.

And the steel prong holding the bags in place haven't caused any damage to my legs either of the two times I low sided with the bike (without bags). First time due to a massive diesel spill and the other due to black ice.

I realize that I'm making myself look like a total klutz by telling you all this... ;)
This was from motorcycle daily's road test:
Quote:
Not so much the saddlebags, rugged though they appear with their aluminum lids. The left pannier was roadkill, both main mounting hooks snapped off clean. At least it didn’t burst open and festoon the adjacent cacti with sweat-soaked Jockeys.
This theme repeated itself as more than one fellow writer suffered a similar yard sale, destroying one spendy bag per biff. Once their hardpoints are made either more substantial or breakaway and replaceable, those bags will be the globetrotting business. Until then, they’re a market opportunity for companies like Jesse and Touratech.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #11205
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,733
It's not hard to find experiences where someone has dropped their tiger and broken an OEM sidecase or dropped their tiger and their side case has been fine. Moral of the story, evaluate them yourself for your expected needs and ignore the internet.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote