User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #11356
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,759
Thanks shady

I reckon theres gona be some solderin goin on over the comin weekends round the world
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #11357
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
" you cut the wire on one side of the fuse and insert the normally closed momentary switch? Do you simply press the switch for a few seconds to disable ABS? "

Just so I get this straight......if I wire this switch in (minus the led) normally closed to the #2 ABS fuse circuit and depress it, the ABS will turn off until the key is cycled?
I'm not sure what you mean with the LED but yes, the rest is correct.

I had a very hard time finding a normally closed/momentary open switch that would handle the current and mount nicely on the bars. After a day or so of brainstorming I thought that the passing trigger switch was a perfect solution for me. It couldnt be located in a better spot when you need to kill the ABS fast and easily! Because the trigger switch is a normally open/momentary closed switch, I knew I needed to incorporate a relay into the circuit which incidentally is a better solution anyway!

I posted this idea on another thread http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-...le-switch.html but didnt get the same response. Theres a half-a$$ attempt at describing what I did step by step, but its not a great write-up like some of these "how-to" instructions I've seen on this forum.

I have the day off today and so I'll do my best to put some pics together and explain the process a little clearer. Knowing how a relay works (very simple for those that dont!!), will make the setup much easier to understand.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #11358
shadygrady
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you go! Make sure to use a no less than 20amp, 5 prong single switch relay. Can be found at any auto parts store or online (cheaper!)

This will work with a normally open/momentary closed switch.

If for any reason you dont find it working but you hear the relay "click", try swapping the wire leading to 87a and put it on 87 (one is 'open' and one is 'closed')

*I suppose I should put in a disclaimer that you are doing this at your own risk. Even though you are only breaking the circuit (same as if a fuse pops), keep in mind that you are essentially altering the braking system and I am not responsible for any issues/problems/damage/etc.. that may hypothetically arise from this "how-to"

shadygrady screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 07:31 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #11359
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Here you go! Make sure to use a no less than 20amp, 5 prong single switch relay. Can be found at any auto parts store or online (cheaper!)

This will work with a normally open/momentary closed switch.

If for any reason you dont find it working but you hear the relay "click", try swapping the wire leading to 87a and put it on 87 (one is 'open' and one is 'closed')

*I suppose I should put in a disclaimer that you are doing this at your own risk. Even though you are only breaking the circuit (same as if a fuse pops), keep in mind that you are essentially altering the braking system and I am not responsible for any issues/problems/damage/etc.. that may hypothetically arise from this "how-to"

I really wish I knew what this says. I am such a complete idiot when it comes to electrical...!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #11360
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I really wish I knew what this says. I am such a complete idiot when it comes to electrical...!
Nothing magical here - this hack creates a failure in the ABS system (by interrupting the circuit for a short time) which turns ABS off as a safe guard from a malfunctioning system. The system then needs a power cycle to do a full self test and finds nothing wrong - ABS is back on.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #11361
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Nothing magical here - this hack creates a failure in the ABS system (by interrupting the circuit for a short time) which turns ABS off as a safe guard from a malfunctioning system. The system then needs a power cycle to do a full self test and finds nothing wrong - ABS is back on.
This is not magic? and all this time I've been fooled.

I get what it does. I just couldn't design it and I probably couldn't re-create it. Your on a roll for miss understanding whats being discussed.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #11362
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
This is not magic? and all this time I've been fooled.

I get what it does. I just couldn't design it and I probably couldn't re-create it. Your on a roll for miss understanding whats being discussed.
Def not magic - it's pretty straightforward electrical theory - you just have to know and understand what relay's do (hint: a solenoid is nothing more than a relay).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #11363
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Def not magic - it's pretty straightforward electrical theory - you just have to know and understand what relay's do (hint: a solenoid is nothing more than a relay).
I think I should give David Copperfield a call. See if he can help. Maybe he can just make the shit appear on my bike! I wonder if he can put a spell on my boss so I can go ride. I don't have to worry about my ABS being on with my bike always in the garage!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #11364
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
I don't have to worry about my ABS being on with my bike always in the garage!
That explains why you are so grumpy lately - should have gotten a bike without ABS, than you wouldn't have to worry at all.

But I know the problem: I'm already more than 50 hours in my "40 hour workweek" and there are still half of Thursday, full Friday, Saturday, Sunday left. Saturday I'll be riding though. No way around it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #11365
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Its ok mate Shady's offered to come round both of our places and install for us - yay shady
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #11366
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That explains why you are so grumpy lately - should have gotten a bike without ABS, than you wouldn't have to worry at all.

But I know the problem: I'm already more than 50 hours in my "40 hour workweek" and there are still half of Thursday, full Friday, Saturday, Sunday left. Saturday I'll be riding though. No way around it.
Nope- I'm far from grumpy! Getting mad or pissed or whatever is a waste of energy. I wanted ABS.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #11367
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Wireharness

@Shady, Nice work. By chance did you use 'press on/ push in' connectors only or did you do some soldering. If just swappable connectors could we get you to take a picture of the wireharness you made while not connected to the bike. It would go along way for some of us during our next shopping trip to Radio Shack. I'm just trying to figure out what I have on the bike already and what you added with your fix, without actually looking at my bike (as I'm at work atm).

This looks like tonights project :)

Cheers,
Forkt
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #11368
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkt View Post
@Shady, Nice work. By chance did you use 'press on/ push in' connectors only or did you do some soldering. If just swappable connectors could we get you to take a picture of the wireharness you made while not connected to the bike. It would go along way for some of us during our next shopping trip to Radio Shack. I'm just trying to figure out what I have on the bike already and what you added with your fix, without actually looking at my bike (as I'm at work atm).

This looks like tonights project :)

Cheers,
Forkt
x2
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #11369
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
If I use a 20 amp switch to break the wire an the ABS will I need a relay?
I see you used a relay and it looks like you put an in line fuse holder in from 85 on relay to the + battery.
What amp fuse did you use?
One wire from the switch goes to 86 on the relay.
Does the other switch wire go to - battery?
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #11370
shadygrady
Adventurer

These are the only connectors that you def need. The other 2 connectors are your choice. I happened to use barrel connectors. These terminal connectors in the pic are necessary for connecting to the relay. I used 14g wire.

When you cut into the ABS fuse wire, do it from the yellow wire side. Just cut the one wire (ABS fuse #2) and hook a connector up to each cut wire end (these will be connected to two wires leading from the relay (follow the pic diagram). Now connect one end of an inline fuse wire to the pos batt terminal and the other to the relay (on diagram). The negative battery terminal will be the line that leads to your switch and ultimately back to the relay.

I hope its understandable! The key is to understand how the relay works!!! The relay (our 5 prong relay) is nothing more than a closed switch that upon receiving an electric current, becomes an open switch.