Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #11371
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #11372
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.
bummer, at least you would have had a good dinner. last year on the opening day of turkey season i was driving to work at about 7am. i already had my turkey tags for the season. i had just gotten on the highway and i saw a turkey out of the corner of my eye. it started to take flight right before crossing the highway. it didn't get high enough and got clipped by the car right in front of me. i immediately turned all of my lights on (my truck has work zone highway lights) and drove in to the median where the turkey was. he was still alive so i put him out of his misery. then thew him in the back of my truck, took him home, cleaned him, put him in the freezer and was at work by 8. then we ate him for easter. it was awesome!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #11373
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Hey all, joining your club - just put down a deposit on an orange 800XC, should have it in a couple weeks.

Been reading here and elsewhere for a while, so I'm narrowing down the farkle list. However, on the maintenance front - one question I've not seen asked is how folks go about lifting the bike. Is there a consensus on whether it's wise to lift from the skid plate, given there's no frame down there? I've got the yellow Sears aluminum lift that has worked great on every other bike I've owned, but this is the first bike joining my stable that doesn't have gobs of steel support down there. Current plans are to add the SW Motech plate, if that makes a difference.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #11374
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Hey all, joining your club - just put down a deposit on an orange 800XC, should have it in a couple weeks.

Been reading here and elsewhere for a while, so I'm narrowing down the farkle list. However, on the maintenance front - one question I've not seen asked is how folks go about lifting the bike. Is there a consensus on whether it's wise to lift from the skid plate, given there's no frame down there? I've got the yellow Sears aluminum lift that has worked great on every other bike I've owned, but this is the first bike joining my stable that doesn't have gobs of steel support down there. Current plans are to add the SW Motech plate, if that makes a difference.
centerstand is the best way to lift .Make it a point to negotiate that item into the deal.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #11375
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
centerstand is the best way to lift .Make it a point to negotiate that item into the deal.
10% off any accessories for a year, so a bit of a break on that if I want. However, it's backordered until June at a minimum according to my dealer.

Regardless, while I'll probably pick one up - I don't view a CS as a 100% replacement for a lift, so I'm still interested in feedback on whether others use one or not.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #11376
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
10% off any accessories for a year, so a bit of a break on that if I want. However, it's backordered until June at a minimum according to my dealer.

Regardless, while I'll probably pick one up - I don't view a CS as a 100% replacement for a lift, so I'm still interested in feedback on whether others use one or not.

This is my system for doing chain maintenance.
Needed to hold the front down. I set the lift at the support point or attachment location of the composite skid plate.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #11377
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,317
I use this when washing the bike (every ride) and when doing chain maintenance etc. Harbor Freight. To use it you need some paddock bobbins available at www.madss.com, <$30.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #11378
fbj913
I ride

I have ben having a problem with my hands buzzing when riding this bike so I tried a little trick... Here is the after math.

I filled my handlebars with lead shot. I had a little too much to drink last night and almost started cutting open the box of steel shot. Luckily I realized it. I went on a quick test ride to see if I could tell a difference in my buzz bars. It did feel better but a long trip shall tell the real story... And for the record I don't think a lot of people are having this problem. I have an issue with my wrist so it could be making it worse that it really is. I just thought I would throw that in so everyone doesn't start freaking out like the triumph side luggage epidemic.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #11379
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Lead shot is a good idea that I have used on a few bikes but it will be cheaper and safer if you just buy the loose shot.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #11380
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:

Been reading here and elsewhere for a while, so I'm narrowing down the farkle list. However, on the maintenance front - one question I've not seen asked is how folks go about lifting the bike.
I use a forward handle pit bull bobbin lift for the rear.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #11381
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
Lead shot is a good idea that I have used on a few bikes but it will be cheaper and safer if you just buy the loose shot.
I've got 40+ boxes of shells so the product was already in my possession. Thanks though
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #11382
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
I used non-expanding spray foam insulation that comes in a can for the handlebars on my Legend. I have carpal tunnel and tendonitis, and it seemed to help quite a bit. The Legend bars have threaded inserts and so lead shot or a barsnake won't work unless you drill them out. Using a small tube on the foam allowed me to shoot the stuff right in one side through the threaded insert until it started coming out the other end. You do want to get your bar end weights screwed back on, or run a pipe cleaner with some carb cleaner down into the threads, as this stuff sets up tight when it dries! (I even toyed with using my bullet casting furnace to melt some lead and just pour it into the bar, but trying to plug the other end was too big a hassle, and if it cooled too quickly it might not have an even amount of weight distributed across the bars, so I gave up on that idea.)
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #11383
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I was doing 70mph, I don't know what the physics of a 5lb. bird hit at 70 mph is but I'm sure it would have been painfull. So it's Tiger 1-- Pheasant 0 .
The energy of the bird striking you at that velocity is about 1100 Joules. A major league fastball is about 120 Joules by comparison. You should be glad that the bird did not hit you!
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #11384
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,412
I once had a swallow hit me in my left shoulder at 60mph. I was wearing a HEAVY leather Jacket, with three shirts under it. It almost knocked me off the bike and left me with a very colorful bruise. not to mention it hurt like hell.

It is one of the reasons I will NEVER ride without a ff helmet.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #11385
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,669
You mean getting something like this in the face isn't that appealing when riding this wonderful quiet alley?

Was the example our driving instructor used that we should think about how we'd look when getting hit by this while wearing one of these typical HD mini shells.

cug screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 08:35 PM Reason: Adjusting image size
cug is offline   Reply With Quote