Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #11401
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Nice Idea,

Does the dash display that the abs is disabled? Can you re-enable it by hitting the button again or does it require a key cycling?
The display will show the ABS light which indicates that the ABS is off (Always seems backwards to me that when the ABS light is on, the ABS is off and vise versa!)

A simple test you can do, is to start the bike then pull the 2nd ABS fuse and reinsert it. You will notice the ABS light on. This mimics the same disruption in the circuit as a temp on/off switch would do. One key cycle will reset the ABS back to normal. It will not turn back on without the key cycle. Prob a safety feature in the event the ABS lost power somehow while riding and malfunctioned while recycling back on. Would be catastrophe if the brakes locked up at high speed!

...now that I think more into it, the dash lights up with something (wrench, oil, ABS) when it is warning you that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. I guess it doesnt seem so backwards from that angle.

shadygrady screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 12:33 PM
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #11402
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
The display will show the ABS light which indicates that the ABS is off (Always seems backwards to me that when the ABS light is on, the ABS is off and vise versa!)

...now that I think more into it, the dash lights up with something (wrench, oil, ABS) when it is warning you that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. I guess it doesnt seem so backwards from that angle.
Yep, you got it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #11403
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Cant believe how fast this thread has grown! Sorry, I'm way behind with catching up to posts.

The ABS is very easy to bypass with a switch to the 2nd ABS fuse. It works perfect without throwing any codes. Best of all it recycles to "ON" again after a key cycle just the same as it does stock. Because of this you dont need a permanent "on/off" switch. A temporary 'on/off' switch or button will work (ie. kill switch/button, etc..). .
Shady, I assume you cut the wire on one side of the fuse and insert the normally closed momentary switch? Do you simply press the switch for a few seconds to disable ABS?
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #11404
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
All I got was the feathers stuck on my bike. The Phesant deflected off the windshield and went skyward I guess, as i was concentrating on getting off the hwy and to a safe stop. There was a car right behind me so they got a good view but they didn't stop. I went back looking, but I did not find the bird. I guess you could say I flipped the bird, without raising a finger.

Hope you kept the feathers on the bike. Important for when you claim the insurance. It is proof that it was not your fault. Usually it is more important when after hitting an animal you drop the bike. Which is not your case. But you never know...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #11405
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
The claim was approved by my ins. co., so all I am out is the $100.00 Ded. I have the bike insured through AAA, but they transfer it to modern ins. co. The claim went through without a hitch, the check is in the mail.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #11406
shadygrady
Adventurer

Thanks exactly right Elnorto. You only need to push the button for a sec. As soon as the circuit is broken the ABS is disabled.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #11407
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Thanks exactly right Elnorto. You only need to push the button for a sec. As soon as the circuit is broken the ABS is disabled.
" you cut the wire on one side of the fuse and insert the normally closed momentary switch? Do you simply press the switch for a few seconds to disable ABS? "

Just so I get this straight......if I wire this switch in (minus the led) normally closed to the #2 ABS fuse circuit and depress it, the ABS will turn off until the key is cycled?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #11408
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Isn't that obvious? It's not a dirt bike like an RMZ, it doesn't have a full cradle frame to mount the plate to. It's no different than all road oriented Adventure Touring bikes. The frame design does not take into account using these bikes as you would your dirt bike.

These are not meant to be skid plates, these are, call it off-roadish looking, rock or sump guards. You wouldb't be happy with the results if the mounting was beefier, then the weakest link would be the engine sump and the damage resulting from a failure would leave you stranded with a very hefty repair bill. Ask any R-GS owner that has hit his "bash plate" hard on something. It's screwed directly to the sump and the weakest link there is the casting it screws into.

You could say that short of a design that uses a full cage to take advantage of anchor points that are more solid, it's actually a good design given the options.

Gustavo
you know what is obvious. that you didn't read all of the posts before you posted this.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #11409
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you know what is obvious. that you didn't read all of the posts before you posted this.
You're right. When I read that I thought there was an echo in the thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #11410
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,726
Thanks shady

I reckon theres gona be some solderin goin on over the comin weekends round the world
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #11411
shadygrady
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
" you cut the wire on one side of the fuse and insert the normally closed momentary switch? Do you simply press the switch for a few seconds to disable ABS? "

Just so I get this straight......if I wire this switch in (minus the led) normally closed to the #2 ABS fuse circuit and depress it, the ABS will turn off until the key is cycled?
I'm not sure what you mean with the LED but yes, the rest is correct.

I had a very hard time finding a normally closed/momentary open switch that would handle the current and mount nicely on the bars. After a day or so of brainstorming I thought that the passing trigger switch was a perfect solution for me. It couldnt be located in a better spot when you need to kill the ABS fast and easily! Because the trigger switch is a normally open/momentary closed switch, I knew I needed to incorporate a relay into the circuit which incidentally is a better solution anyway!

I posted this idea on another thread http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-...le-switch.html but didnt get the same response. Theres a half-a$$ attempt at describing what I did step by step, but its not a great write-up like some of these "how-to" instructions I've seen on this forum.

I have the day off today and so I'll do my best to put some pics together and explain the process a little clearer. Knowing how a relay works (very simple for those that dont!!), will make the setup much easier to understand.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #11412
shadygrady
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you go! Make sure to use a no less than 20amp, 5 prong single switch relay. Can be found at any auto parts store or online (cheaper!)

This will work with a normally open/momentary closed switch.

If for any reason you dont find it working but you hear the relay "click", try swapping the wire leading to 87a and put it on 87 (one is 'open' and one is 'closed')

*I suppose I should put in a disclaimer that you are doing this at your own risk. Even though you are only breaking the circuit (same as if a fuse pops), keep in mind that you are essentially altering the braking system and I am not responsible for any issues/problems/damage/etc.. that may hypothetically arise from this "how-to"

shadygrady screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 08:31 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #11413
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Here you go! Make sure to use a no less than 20amp, 5 prong single switch relay. Can be found at any auto parts store or online (cheaper!)

This will work with a normally open/momentary closed switch.

If for any reason you dont find it working but you hear the relay "click", try swapping the wire leading to 87a and put it on 87 (one is 'open' and one is 'closed')

*I suppose I should put in a disclaimer that you are doing this at your own risk. Even though you are only breaking the circuit (same as if a fuse pops), keep in mind that you are essentially altering the braking system and I am not responsible for any issues/problems/damage/etc.. that may hypothetically arise from this "how-to"

I really wish I knew what this says. I am such a complete idiot when it comes to electrical...!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #11414
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I really wish I knew what this says. I am such a complete idiot when it comes to electrical...!
Nothing magical here - this hack creates a failure in the ABS system (by interrupting the circuit for a short time) which turns ABS off as a safe guard from a malfunctioning system. The system then needs a power cycle to do a full self test and finds nothing wrong - ABS is back on.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #11415
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Nothing magical here - this hack creates a failure in the ABS system (by interrupting the circuit for a short time) which turns ABS off as a safe guard from a malfunctioning system. The system then needs a power cycle to do a full self test and finds nothing wrong - ABS is back on.
This is not magic? and all this time I've been fooled.

I get what it does. I just couldn't design it and I probably couldn't re-create it. Your on a roll for miss understanding whats being discussed.