Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #11416
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
This is not magic? and all this time I've been fooled.

I get what it does. I just couldn't design it and I probably couldn't re-create it. Your on a roll for miss understanding whats being discussed.
Def not magic - it's pretty straightforward electrical theory - you just have to know and understand what relay's do (hint: a solenoid is nothing more than a relay).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #11417
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Def not magic - it's pretty straightforward electrical theory - you just have to know and understand what relay's do (hint: a solenoid is nothing more than a relay).
I think I should give David Copperfield a call. See if he can help. Maybe he can just make the shit appear on my bike! I wonder if he can put a spell on my boss so I can go ride. I don't have to worry about my ABS being on with my bike always in the garage!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #11418
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
I don't have to worry about my ABS being on with my bike always in the garage!
That explains why you are so grumpy lately - should have gotten a bike without ABS, than you wouldn't have to worry at all.

But I know the problem: I'm already more than 50 hours in my "40 hour workweek" and there are still half of Thursday, full Friday, Saturday, Sunday left. Saturday I'll be riding though. No way around it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #11419
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
I really wish I knew what this says. I am such a complete idiot when it comes to electrical...!
Its ok mate Shady's offered to come round both of our places and install for us - yay shady
Beer'o'clock Baz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #11420
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That explains why you are so grumpy lately - should have gotten a bike without ABS, than you wouldn't have to worry at all.

But I know the problem: I'm already more than 50 hours in my "40 hour workweek" and there are still half of Thursday, full Friday, Saturday, Sunday left. Saturday I'll be riding though. No way around it.
Nope- I'm far from grumpy! Getting mad or pissed or whatever is a waste of energy. I wanted ABS.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #11421
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Wireharness

@Shady, Nice work. By chance did you use 'press on/ push in' connectors only or did you do some soldering. If just swappable connectors could we get you to take a picture of the wireharness you made while not connected to the bike. It would go along way for some of us during our next shopping trip to Radio Shack. I'm just trying to figure out what I have on the bike already and what you added with your fix, without actually looking at my bike (as I'm at work atm).

This looks like tonights project :)

Cheers,
Forkt
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #11422
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkt View Post
@Shady, Nice work. By chance did you use 'press on/ push in' connectors only or did you do some soldering. If just swappable connectors could we get you to take a picture of the wireharness you made while not connected to the bike. It would go along way for some of us during our next shopping trip to Radio Shack. I'm just trying to figure out what I have on the bike already and what you added with your fix, without actually looking at my bike (as I'm at work atm).

This looks like tonights project :)

Cheers,
Forkt
x2
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #11423
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
If I use a 20 amp switch to break the wire an the ABS will I need a relay?
I see you used a relay and it looks like you put an in line fuse holder in from 85 on relay to the + battery.
What amp fuse did you use?
One wire from the switch goes to 86 on the relay.
Does the other switch wire go to - battery?
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #11424
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59

These are the only connectors that you def need. The other 2 connectors are your choice. I happened to use barrel connectors. These terminal connectors in the pic are necessary for connecting to the relay. I used 14g wire.

When you cut into the ABS fuse wire, do it from the yellow wire side. Just cut the one wire (ABS fuse #2) and hook a connector up to each cut wire end (these will be connected to two wires leading from the relay (follow the pic diagram). Now connect one end of an inline fuse wire to the pos batt terminal and the other to the relay (on diagram). The negative battery terminal will be the line that leads to your switch and ultimately back to the relay.

I hope its understandable! The key is to understand how the relay works!!! The relay (our 5 prong relay) is nothing more than a closed switch that upon receiving an electric current, becomes an open switch.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #11425
shadygrady
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
If I use a 20 amp switch to break the wire an the ABS will I need a relay?
I see you used a relay and it looks like you put an in line fuse holder in from 85 on relay to the + battery.
What amp fuse did you use?
One wire from the switch goes to 86 on the relay.
Does the other switch wire go to - battery?
Question #1 - No, that would be the easiest solution but good luck finding one that is small enough, waterproof, and fits on your handlebars well.

Question#2 - 20amp inline fuse holder from any auto part store ($2)
Question#3&4 - yes. wire leads up to the switch then back to the relay. This cuts the circuit to the relay. (Do not run from the pos+ terminal to the switch...too much current!)

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #11426
Bassfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks!
Bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #11427
shadygrady
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Its ok mate Shady's offered to come round both of our places and install for us - yay shady
Who wants to be in sunny Australia when its 30 degrees and raining in NY!

Send me a plane ticket and I'm on my way. I'll even pay for the relay
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #11428
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Who wants to be in sunny Australia when its 30 degrees and raining in NY!
How about 7 inches of fresh snow
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #11429
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am familiar with these relays as Guzzi and BMW have used them for years. Most have a wiring diagram on the case to indicate what terminal does what. May help to explain what Shady has done. The other thing to be aware of is some have a diode placed across the coil for arc suppression. It will be shown on the case if its included. You can either pry open the case and clip out the diode or you have to pay attention to the polarity when you attach the leads from the switch. The positive lead is attached to the cathode of the diode (line across the tip of the arrow). That would be opposite of when the diode is conducting current.
BTW Shady I am in Rochester also.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #11430
shadygrady
Adventurer

This is the relay with power from the switch
This is the relay without power from the switch

Your just opening the circuit with power to the relay! Here is a link to a cheap one I found on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHLQJW

Quote:
BTW Shady I am in Rochester also.
Sweet! PM me sometime so we can hook up for a few rides or if you want help with this ABS bypass.