ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #11506
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Bike won't start. Dropping it off at the dealer today. Stay tuned...
Turns out its my fault. The lead shot I put in my bars to try and kill the vibration got in the switch. Chalk that one down to my stupidity. damn the luckOh well
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #11507
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Turns out its my fault. The lead shot I put in my bars to try and kill the vibration got in the switch.
It really did work, though. No cylinders moving, no vibration.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #11508
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It really did work, though. No cylinders moving, no vibration.

Oh, that was good.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #11509
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It really did work, though. No cylinders moving, no vibration.
true
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #11510
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 142
can anyone tell me the width, on the bike, of the 37L Trax EVO bags with SW Motech mounts on the 800? TIA.
__________________
08 Husky TE610
89 Honduh Transalp
12 Tiger 800 XC
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #11511
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
can anyone tell me the width, on the bike, of the 37L Trax EVO bags with SW Motech mounts on the 800? TIA.
Did you try any of the websites? I know sometimes they post the measurements. If not all together you can take each piece and get a pretty good idea. Also do a search on this thread. It is a ways back but there is a guy on here running the Trax boxes. If I remember right it looks like a school bus from the back
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #11512
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.
 
internalcombust's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Middle TN.
Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Turns out its my fault. The lead shot I put in my bars to try and kill the vibration got in the switch. Chalk that one down to my stupidity. damn the luckOh well
Well at least you got it figured out.
__________________
2012 Tiger 800XC
04 DRZ400S
79 GL1000 basket case
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #11513
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Well at least you got it figured out.
yep, FYI, tape off the little holes in the handlebars if you move your controls so the lead shot doesn't come out
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #11514
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.
 
internalcombust's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Middle TN.
Oddometer: 1,586
I removed the charcoal canister last night on the tiger. I plugged off the three intake ports and removed the solenoid from its spot down by the swing arm. If you chase the wiring back to the rear harness you will find enough wire to move the solenoid just to the rear of the intake snorkel. This should keep it out of harms way. I ran some tubing to connect the two nipples to keep any debris from getting in. While i had the tank and airbox off I checked the idle linkage, which was pretty dry and ran the wiring for my heated grips. It's coming together now.
__________________
2012 Tiger 800XC
04 DRZ400S
79 GL1000 basket case
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #11515
Ronin1
Hoonigan
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: West Central Florida
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
yep, FYI, tape off the little holes in the handlebars if you move your controls so the lead shot doesn't come out
Did you find the lead helped with the vibes?
I just put the Rox anti-vibration risers on mine and it helped quite a bit but I still have some buzzing going on.
I was going to try lead filled bars or end weights next.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #11516
syspig
Dog Scratcher
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Oddometer: 97
The day has come...picking up my 800XC in a few hours.

I just popped in ahead of time while the bike is being prepped to pay the balance and deal with paperwork. And of course...the finance guy tossed the extended warranty at me.

Normally, I avoid these things like the plague...but this one has me thinking. Heading into retirement, I plan on riding a LOT. I'm certain I'll be one of those racking many, many thousands of miles per year - and the price really isn't that bad. My thinking being, that I'm going to fall well outside the average usage upon which these insurance plans base their rates.

It's a Western Service Contract, which I've seen mentioned a few times around here - they seem to handle claims pretty well. Doesn't kick in until the 2 year manufacturer warranty is up, but is then good for an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage. Since it's good at non-Triumph repair facilities, it actually addresses the one concern I have with this bike for cross country treks...the smaller dealer network. It's also transferrable.

Yes, it could be purchased any time prior to the OEM warranty expiring - at $1258. The special "day of delivery only price" - $858. Seems cheap for the peace of mind.

I think I've talked myself into it, but any words of wisdom that show up here in the next few hours might sway me otherwise...
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #11517
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Yes, it could be purchased any time prior to the OEM warranty expiring - at $1258. The special "day of delivery only price" - $858. Seems cheap for the peace of mind.
I would venture a small wager that you can purchase it at any time prior to the end of the OEM warranty for the "special" price if you are a decent negotiator.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #11518
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
The day has come...picking up my 800XC in a few hours.

I just popped in ahead of time while the bike is being prepped to pay the balance and deal with paperwork. And of course...the finance guy tossed the extended warranty at me.

Normally, I avoid these things like the plague...but this one has me thinking. Heading into retirement, I plan on riding a LOT. I'm certain I'll be one of those racking many, many thousands of miles per year - and the price really isn't that bad. My thinking being, that I'm going to fall well outside the average usage upon which these insurance plans base their rates.

It's a Western Service Contract, which I've seen mentioned a few times around here - they seem to handle claims pretty well. Doesn't kick in until the 2 year manufacturer warranty is up, but is then good for an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage. Since it's good at non-Triumph repair facilities, it actually addresses the one concern I have with this bike for cross country treks...the smaller dealer network. It's also transferrable.

Yes, it could be purchased any time prior to the OEM warranty expiring - at $1258. The special "day of delivery only price" - $858. Seems cheap for the peace of mind.

I think I've talked myself into it, but any words of wisdom that show up here in the next few hours might sway me otherwise...
Sounds like not a bad deal, but I'm like you mentioned at first. I never buy extended warranties. I had a friend who worked for a large electronics shop and he said they absolutely loved extended warranties as they were pure profit for the company. My personal belief is that you will be further ahead in the long run if you don't pay for extended warranties. That's my opinion based on my habits. We own too many bikes, quads, sleds, vehicles so if I were to buy extended warranties for everything I would be broke. Same for insurance, I just keep liability on all the vehicles and even if I had a complete write off every 3-4 years, I'd still be ahead.

Now in your situation talking about 1 vehicle and for your peace of mind, maybe but I still wouldn't bother. $800 buys a lot of gas or 4 sets of tires.

If it breaks on the road, you just fix it. You said you're retired so it's not like you *have* to be anywhere, or feel like you got screwed out of your 2 weeks vacation etc.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #11519
turboICE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
I removed the charcoal canister last night on the tiger. I plugged off the three intake ports and removed the solenoid from its spot down by the swing arm. If you chase the wiring back to the rear harness you will find enough wire to move the solenoid just to the rear of the intake snorkel. This should keep it out of harms way. I ran some tubing to connect the two nipples to keep any debris from getting in. While i had the tank and airbox off I checked the idle linkage, which was pretty dry and ran the wiring for my heated grips. It's coming together now.
Why not just disconnect and remove the solenoid completely? There is no diagnostics on it. Any signal to activate the solenoid just goes to a broken circuit.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #11520
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
Did you find the lead helped with the vibes?
I just put the Rox anti-vibration risers on mine and it helped quite a bit but I still have some buzzing going on.
I was going to try lead filled bars or end weights next.

Jim
I don't know yet. I haven't been on any long trips with the little mod yet.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015