Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #1141
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Dear Inmates

Unless you want to be responsible for the 2nd Tiger 800 thread to end up in the basement, leave the annoying noob alone so he can be banned or warned for annoying behaviour. Continuing this pissing match will only bring undesired results.

BMR
Well, he chose the location and chose to ignore the warnings. I don't care where the thread goes, but I definitely don't want to add to the mods workload.

Uncle.
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #1142
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Anybody have a rough estimate of fuel mileage if the bike is ridden in a "one more ticket and I lose my license", fashion? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of range I could expect to get with this bike.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #1143
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog
Anybody have a rough estimate of fuel mileage if the bike is ridden in a "one more ticket and I lose my license", fashion? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of range I could expect to get with this bike.

There is an actual magazine article out tomororow where someone actually rides this bike. They might have fuel ratings.

Hang tight....!
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1144
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Dear Inmates

Unless you want to be responsible for the 2nd Tiger 800 thread to end up in the basement, leave the annoying noob alone so he can be banned or warned for annoying behaviour. Continuing this pissing match will only bring undesired results.

BMR
Gentlemen, gentlemen... Please, in line with this post I would also humbly ask that we all stop engaging in this silly argy bargy. I'm not a fan of a lot of posts in this thread, but I have decided not to help them along by acknowledging or responding to them.

I have found, through trial and error, the best way to deal with these types is simply not to respond. The "ignore" button works very well for this and before to long they just disappear and we can all keep calm and carry on.

Now - have we decided what the colours will represent? Red the fastest? Black the sophisticated but cool one? White the fuel efficient one?

Beach40 screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 05:16 PM
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #1145
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWITCHER
Gentlemen, gentlemen... Please,
Ahhhh, the ignore feature...I forgot all about it until now.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #1146
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Remember the fairly recent grainy photo, of a white XC test mule heavily loaded for bear. It showed an oem added on front fender extender, a nice sensible accessory for a front fender, that's already miles ahead of the 1050 Tiger's bikini brief fenderette.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #1147
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
There is an actual magazine article out tomororow where someone actually rides this bike. They might have fuel ratings.

Hang tight....!
Cool. Thanks. This looks like it's got some great potential for me. Have always loved the triple engine. Good looking bike. I have a few friends that have been riding triples for years now. They swear by them. Reliable, handle great and good, usable, smooth power. Hell yeah I'm interested!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #1148
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Dear Inmates

BMR
The noob is the annoying one? Okay.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #1149
Bultacofan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Back to MSRP

Just wanted to add my two cents back about the MSRP of the new Tiger 800. I bought a 2004 Thruxton new and got back roughly 50 cents on the dollar when I sold it. It was a nice bike , but resale was err lacking. I wanted the Street Triple, but saw the MSRP go from $7999 to $9499 in one model year which I thought was too much. I had/have been eagerly awaiting the Tiger for 2+ years like everyone else and today I saw mention of a $12k MSRP presumably w/o luggage and I decided it was too much. Why ? Well I can buy a nicely farkled used F650 (either single or twin) for under $8k , now this is a bike with proven reliability, quality design, and huge aftermarket this would be a low risk investment as the resale value is good. Now the Triumph, new model , no aftermarket and I took a beating on the Thruxton (lots of add ons) sounds riskier to me. To me this bike should be a LOT cheaper than the F800 because Triumph does not have the heritage, fan base , aftermarket, dealer network etc. that the BMW does. Same goes for the new Yamaha Super Tenere nice bike, but $14K ??? Not from me . They can bring say an FZ8 for $8500 where's my $8500 adventure tourer ? I'd buy it. Give me a KLR with a Versys engine sold. Give me a DR with an SV engine sold. I'll pay $10k+ for a Beemer,but not for the Triumph or the Yamaha. I think this bike @ $10k+ is a loser for Triumph and the segment (Adventure Touring) I thought I was their intended market I guess I was mistaken. I'm not shopping a Mercedes on a Yugo budget as I don't want a Mercedes , and I don't think the Mercedes/Triumph analogy is a good one as they don't have the history or engineering. Triumph may be trying to be a boutique builder, but they are no Ducati, Bimota or BMW the upper end is crowded already.
Bultacofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #1150
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultacofan
Just wanted to add my two cents back about the MSRP of the new Tiger 800. I bought a 2004 Thruxton new and got back roughly 50 cents on the dollar when I sold it. It was a nice bike , but resale was err lacking. I wanted the Street Triple, but saw the MSRP go from $7999 to $9499 in one model year which I thought was too much. I had/have been eagerly awaiting the Tiger for 2+ years like everyone else and today I saw mention of a $12k MSRP presumably w/o luggage and I decided it was too much. Why ? Well I can buy a nicely farkled used F650 (either single or twin) for under $8k , now this is a bike with proven reliability, quality design, and huge aftermarket this would be a low risk investment as the resale value is good. Now the Triumph, new model , no aftermarket and I took a beating on the Thruxton (lots of add ons) sounds riskier to me. To me this bike should be a LOT cheaper than the F800 because Triumph does not have the heritage, fan base , aftermarket, dealer network etc. that the BMW does. Same goes for the new Yamaha Super Tenere nice bike, but $14K ??? Not from me . They can bring say an FZ8 for $8500 where's my $8500 adventure tourer ? I'd buy it. Give me a KLR with a Versys engine sold. Give me a DR with an SV engine sold. I'll pay $10k+ for a Beemer,but not for the Triumph or the Yamaha. I think this bike @ $10k+ is a loser for Triumph and the segment (Adventure Touring) I thought I was their intended market I guess I was mistaken. I'm not shopping a Mercedes on a Yugo budget as I don't want a Mercedes , and I don't think the Mercedes/Triumph analogy is a good one as they don't have the history or engineering. Triumph may be trying to be a boutique builder, but they are no Ducati, Bimota or BMW the upper end is crowded already.
Now see, THAT is annoying ^

Who the heck buys a bike based on its "fan base" or "heritage" (except Harley guys and their close relatives), let alone already pretty convinced they're going to sell it?

If Triumph builds a better bike than the GS (and it's very likely they have) they're getting my money and I have no intention of selling the bike ever, nor do I care what others think of its resale value.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1151
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
My dealer told me the street version will be priced around the same price as the Street Triple and the XC version a couple thousand more. I think it puts the bikes in a smidge under the Beemers.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #1152
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Ah, since there is a break in the bickering (dickering)....

The roadie version is really keeping my interest. Let me say why --perhaps it will strike a chord with someone else. I don't mind that this bike has some BMW features...it is ok with me. As far as I am concerned they are combining some of my favorite features into one bike.

For years and many miles I had a WeeStrom as a touring/errand running/commuting/two-up ride. I did those tasks reasonably well (some better than others) but was held back by low budget suspension and brakes, and high center of gravity. When economical times were good I got a sporty bike to fill in for canyon scrafing and track day duty (SV650). Sweet engine/transmission, excellent reliability and practicality, and very flickable nature allowed the Wee to keep its spot in the stable. Other bikes have been considered, but none made the final cut. I ride the Wee hard on the tarmac. Thinking I could be satisfied with a tarmac only ride, So I got a R1100S. It is nice bike that absolutely rails through the sweepers, but leaves me looking at those dirt roads with envy wondering what is over the hill.

The F800GS has a good engine and great transmission and the underseat fuel tank is a great idea, but it is a little too "hard core" for me. I am really not a big fan of the skinny 21" front wheel for how hard I (sometimes) ride on the street. And that seat sure can't be very comfy. A little too dirty for me.

I test rode an F650GS (the streetified 800cc twin) thinking it could be a more refined WeeStrom. With a lower CofG and the 19" front wheel I thought it could have the road manners I am looking for. . But wow, was I disappointed. the good: Nice, light handling. the bad: thee most un-engaging engine ever, and numb brakes. For me --this bike was designed for newbs not enthusiasts...back to the drawing board.

while the R1200GS has some admirable features it is too heavy and complicated for me to feel comfortable with it in the dirt. The Stelvio and the SuperTenere fall here too (I find 480 lbs to be a handful off pavement and am not keen to find out how a 560 lb bike handles in the dirt).

the roadie tiger 800 could be a kick-ass ADV-tourer for me:
19" front wheel --loads of tire options
reasonable weight
torquey yet engaging engine
underseat gas tank to keep weight low
a nice supportive riders seat
a removable passenger seat (presumably to expose a rack)
wet clutch, cable operated
frame looks tough and (more readily) repairable
no beak to mess up any high speed testing
availability of ABS and higher spec brakes
adjustable suspension --hopefully!
centerstand
looks like it can accomodate different luggage configurations.
And oh yeah, rumours of an acessible MSRP to mere mortals helps too.

I for one, can't wait to read the reviews and see what the lil' Tiger is all about.

Instead of fighting about what the Tiger 800 is not --tell us what you like about it.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1153
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Now see, THAT is annoying ^

Who the heck buys a bike based on its "fan base" or "heritage" (except Harley guys and their close relatives), let alone already pretty convinced they're going to sell it?

If Triumph builds a better bike than the GS (and it's very likely they have) they're getting my money and I have no intention of selling the bike ever, nor do I care what others think of its resale value.
In addition to that, I have never understood the idea of buying a bike or any other vehicle, with any sort of re-sale value in mind. If the idea is to save money on it - don't buy it at all. Then you will have "saved" the entire purchase price! These things only ever depreciate and the whole point of having it is to enjoy using it.

As for the comparisons with every other bike on the market - NUTS!

I have already decided I won't be buying any of those, hence my reason for interest here.

As for the constant comparisons to BMW - bite me! The Big Bavarian would have to have a radical change in the way they do things for me to ever consider giving them my hard earned for any of their products. So for me its a pointless comparison.

I'm interested in what this bike will do, in its own right and if it will carry me across The Simpson Desert. On auto pilot. And make coffee for breakfast. And cold beer in the evenings.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #1154
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultacofan

Really amusing read, good luck with sourcing that exciting new, high resale value bike.

It's almost like Triumph mc was a twisted Catholic school master, in an all boys institution.
So many of these of these posters, seem to show signs of abuse...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #1155
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWITCHER
In addition to that, I have never understood the idea of buying a bike or any other vehicle, with any sort of re-sale value in mind.

I know a number of riders that bought the higher end bike due to resale in the future. It's not as odd as you make it out to be. I've bought used Beemers that I have sold a few years later for more than I originally paid for them.

There have been a couple of Triumph owners on here that have told their story of losing a majority of the bikes value at sale time.

Different riders have different reasons for their purchases and it might not jive with your ideal.

Let it ride FFS.