Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #1141
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,379
Don't even mention resale value to me.....I own a Buell Love it though.

I'll be interested to see how this new Triumph stacks up against the KTM 990 ADV. That seems to be the leader in this class and likely my next acquisition......but this one has piqued my interest.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #1142
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultacofan
Just wanted to add my two cents . . .
You've made some good points about resale value. I've also seen the resale value of Triumphs drop pretty rapidly. I tend to keep my bikes for a long time, so this isn't a big part of my buying decision. For those who buy and sell more frequently, it's a legitimate issue.

If value per dollar is the only criteria for choosing bike, we should all ride KLRs.

My experience with Hinckley Triumphs has included fantastic reliability, both with my own bikes and those of my friend's. I'm also friendly with our local dealer and several Triumph mechanics who have similar experiences. Still, admittedly a small sample, but I'm convinced that the new Triumphs are quite reliable.

Regarding history, heritage and engineering I disagree. While there has been a lapse in Triumph's history, ownership and engineering continuity, the name still conveys a long and storied heritage of significant engineering and motorcycle history. To say that it's less legitimate than the history of other names in the industry is ingenuous. BMW have used the horizontally opposed twin for many unbroken decades, but it's not the same engine now that it was then. I admit the fact that Triumph is a different company today, but so is every motorcycle builder, even the many that haven't had the ownership changes, etc...
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #1143
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
let's take your point then............"not really to get out and ride and go places and crash it and fix it and farkle and accessorise it".

How many people on here are talking about selling a bike to get the Tiger 800? To me, this means resale will come into play on a current ride. If you can manage that resale, some will have gone in that direction one bike ago.
Quite a few are talking about selling to fund their next bike, but that could just mean they don't have the space, don't want to many bikes, can't afford the running costs (rego, insurance etc) or maybe a missus that says one big toy at a time!

I know a couple of people that buy a new bike every one to two years and sell the previous. If the previous ride doesn't sell, the price just gets dropped until the phone rings. "Re sale value" doesn't enter the equation.

Another mate only buys something thats one year old with less than 20k kms. The first owner takes the hit on initial depreciation. He then sells it before its due for its first major, expensive, service. Usually just under 50k kms. He swears that this method means he is using the same cash over and over again to keep him on up to date bikes and he hasn't paid for any major servicing in years.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #1144
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I think Triumph resale values have also been shaken up by new model announcements. The new Speed Triple makes people believe the Street will get an update soon, along with the Daytona 675 R too. Of course, the Tiger being a new bike who knows what the resale value could be like.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #1145
Bultacofan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Hinckley

I'm pretty sure all the Bonnies are now made in Malaysia not Hinckley. My point is there are no moderately priced decent Adventure Tourers I was led to believe Triumph was building one I was wrong it's not the end of the world I just won't buy one !! You all do as you wish posers !!
Bultacofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #1146
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all the Bonnies are now made in Malaysia not Hinckley. My point is there are no moderately priced decent Adventure Tourers I was led to believe Triumph was building one I was wrong it's not the end of the world I just won't buy one !! You all do as you wish posers !!
Plenty of moderately priced Adventure Tourers - Transalp 700, V-Strom 650, KLR650, Tenere 660, F650GS, G650GS, Aprilia Pegaso, DR650, Versys .... Okay the new 800 will probably be more expensive than all of these, but it's still pretty moderate compared to the Tenere 1200, Multistrada and 1200GS. It might also be out of my price range for a year or so, but it still sounds a good bike to me. Great for posing on too

I thought the Bonnies were made in Thailand?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #1147
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Yeah well you just remember that when you want to hang with the cool kids again...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #1148
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
After a bit of thinking I've decided I would buy the road version and swap the front end for one off a WR450 or similar then have the rear retuned for better off-road performance along with a spoked rear wheel.
However I wont buy it brand new as I never do. There will be people that have ordered this bike on the wave of hype, without even trying it. So they may decide its not for them once they get a few hundred miles on the clock.
That's the time to buy for me, The money saved will then go on farckles.
craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #1149
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,295
6-pages on the bike and a very brief road test in MCN.

Interesting takes on the 2013 Euro regs for riders; <95bhp and >175kg. So the Tiger 800 meets those requirements as well as being able to be restricted to 47bhp for A2 licence holders. This was apparently a big factor in the design process, as well as the desire to pip the 800GS.

Triumph also say they considered a motox style 'hardcore' bike, but that they need to sell bikes to survive. So they pitch the 800 as 'adventure touring' rather than adventure sports.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #1150
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo
After a bit of thinking I've decided I would buy the road version and swap the front end for one off a WR450 or similar then have the rear retuned for better off-road performance along with a spoked rear wheel.
However I wont buy it brand new as I never do. There will be people that have ordered this bike on the wave of hype, without even trying it. So they may decide its not for them once they get a few hundred miles on the clock.
That's the time to buy for me, The money saved will then go on farckles.
interesting.... but.. umm... why would you do that? (front end swap etc)

and i agree about buying them secondhand i try not to buy anything new... apart from underwear that is...
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #1151
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
New MCN video reveiw

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=650156116001

">

These guys are idiots! First comparing it to a Fazer 800? The saying it creates a niche of its own as you can add accessories, I really don't think MCN know anything about adventure bikes.

craigrevo screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 05:31 AM
craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #1152
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 743

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #1153
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Damn ya beat me too it postin the vid, now hopefully from now on all the bs ends and we can have some sensible conversations coz i wasted hours of my life i wont get back readin this whole crappy thread so far!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #1154
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,295
XC difference from 800:

beak, guards, wheel etc
45mm forks (40mm extra travel)
stiffer rear shock with remote preload
seat height 845mm-865mm
slightly longer wheelbase and rake
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond