Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #11536
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
what seat is that?
I had Loren at Baldwin custom build for me. Love it!
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #11537
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Curious, would the XC shock with the rebound adjustment fit the 800 roadie?

Thanks,
It probably would but it's longer so your ride height would be as per the XC.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #11538
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
I've gone back to the stock windscreen. Originally I got awful wind noise in the front chin vent of the Schuberth C3 I had. I now have a Suomy D20, so I decided to retry the stock screen and the wind noise has reduced by 80%. Don't think I'll bother trying to find anything better now because I find this screen takes most of the wind pressure off me and I can now sit at 80mph in comfort without too much noise.
Moral of the story.............it's not always the screen that's the problem.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #11539
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 555
Hi fellas

Got my XC a couple of weeks ago. Spring will be here soon and am looking forward to getting out. Will probably be popping in on occasion to ask a question or two. This thread is the reason I own an XC.

A group of us from Central Indiana have been to the Smokies each Father's Day since 2002 to visit my Dad. I won't be running the same roads this year.
"Your eyes look like a couple of piss holes in a snow bank." The Great Jaydini
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #11540
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Agreed, the Corbins for the K100, K1100 series were horrible for me, worse than factory. Other Corbins, like on the V-Strom and Funduro were amazing, best seats I have owned. The T8 seat it right up there with the best, in comfort and fit the bike with no adjustments. I will not leave home without it.

At one point I said never again on Corbins too. Then, after two Sargents that had a tiny riders section and huge pilling area, bigger than the rider area, I decided to try Corbin again. Happy I did.
Seats are rather subjective. I've known plenty of BMW guys who've done OK with Corbin on various bikes over 20 years.

I rode a Corbin equipped DL1000: one of the best seats I've sampled. (I had stock seat on my Vstrom) I bought a used VFR with a Corbin and never realized how good it was until I mounted the stock seat back on. YIKES!

Currently running a Corbin on my DR650. It's weird at first but once you're used to it ... it's pretty amazing. Very firm but 8 hours into your ten hour day, it works! Mine is now 6 years old, still holding up well.

The real problem with Corbin is lack of customer service. If you have a problem or need help ... not so good. (Haven't dealt with them in 5 or 6 years so perhaps they've improved by now?) Lots of complaints on forums.

My DR650 Corbin seat is leather covered, has got wet many times over 45K miles, never sucked up any water. No idea why.

For years Sargent made 2nd rate seats, many complained. I've not tried any recently but their Rep has improved dramatically, mostly ALL GOOD reviews! Good news.

The best way to deal with Corbin is go there, in person. Dealing One on One, the seat gets built while you wait. Takes about three hours or so. Don't like it? Needs adjustments? They take it right back inside and fix it to your comfort ... on the spot.

But dealing on the phone or sending things can come unglued. ?Habla Espanol?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #11541
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Helmet hooks

Here is a simple and elegant solution to the "unsatis" factory helmet hooks:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,4695.0.html
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #11542
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That explains why you are so grumpy lately - should have gotten a bike without ABS, than you wouldn't have to worry at all.

But I know the problem: I'm already more than 50 hours in my "40 hour workweek" and there are still half of Thursday, full Friday, Saturday, Sunday left. Saturday I'll be riding though. No way around it.
Hey everyone .......

It's been quite some time since I've posted in this thread, but with the upcoming purchase (finally) I wanted to remark on this post.

I personally am thinking about going with an XC without ABS. I know many peeps have said how it has helped, but out of all of my bikes since 1986, I've only had one that had ABS - which ironically I sold - not due to the ABS, mind you.

It's also not about price, etc, with the ABS, etc .... and IMHO opinion the extra electrical components, just means more can break.

YMMV ......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #11543
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
It's also not about price, etc, with the ABS, etc .... and IMHO opinion the extra electrical components, just means more can break.
I really don't think that an ABS system increases the risk of something breaking. I've already used mine once and I have the bike only for 250 miles. It's likely that I could have averted a bad situation by myself, too, but it was kind of interesting to have the ABS kick in and just do its job making my situation so much easier to handle.

Only had ABS kick in for me unintentionally for the third time though. Two times I might have gone down without it, this time wasn't as critical.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #11544
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Hey everyone .......

It's been quite some time since I've posted in this thread, but with the upcoming purchase (finally) I wanted to remark on this post.

I personally am thinking about going with an XC without ABS. I know many peeps have said how it has helped, but out of all of my bikes since 1986, I've only had one that had ABS - which ironically I sold - not due to the ABS, mind you.

YMMV ......

G.
Can you actually get one without ABS in the US ? I was told by my dealer that all the bikes coming into the US had ABS.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #11545
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I'd bet that either version of the 800 without ABS will be difficult to find. I waited several weeks while the dealer in Eugene (who treated me quite well, by the way) called around, trying to find a Roadie without it. No luck. I wound up buying the next one available, with ABS. No problems yet, but it looks to be more difficult to service in the future. Whichever one you wind up with, get a service manual, too.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #11546
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Hey everyone .......

YMMV ......

G.
I agree, no need for abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Can you actually get one without ABS in the US ? I was told by my dealer that all the bikes coming into the US had ABS.
I got a 2012 with no abs. It was their one and only. They said all others will be abs models. I think mine was an early release.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #11547
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Got my CJ Designs tail rack mounted up. A very nice piece and fast shipping.

Seahorse case, I don't care for large tail boxes, this one is perfect for me.
Where did you get the seahorse case and what model / size is it. I have been thinking about the same setup with the CJ designs rack.
Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #11548
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I really don't think that an ABS system increases the risk of something breaking.
ABS definitely decreases the risk of something breaking if it stops you from slamming into a cage that suddenly cuts you off on a rainy day. I've owned a number of bikes with ABS (BMW, Yamaha, Honda, HD) and have had no system failures yet...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #11549
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Here is my story. On a trip with my Roadie ABS two weeks ago and I have a wardrobe malfunction allowing cold air to run up my jacket sleeve. I pull over onto the shoulder to adjust my gloves. I brake normally and feel the ABS kicking in. Shit, the shoulder is covered in pea gravel. There is also a bridge coming up real fast with no shoulder to ride on. My Tiger tracked straight and came to a stop with a few feet to spare. This was a case of not just staying up, but also stopping sufficiently fast enough to avoid running out of shoulder. No level of riding skill would have allowed me to stop that fast without ABS.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #11550
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
When did everyone stop being able to stop quickly in the rain without a computer to help them? I have been riding in the rain for years and never wished there was a computer to stop for me. The trend of more and more electronics on bikes is making them more like cars, and not the raw, close mechanical connection that makes motorcycles so fun. I suggest getting a bike with no abs and not clamping the brake levers as hard as you can in the rain. For me abs isn't a solution it is an annoyance to be turned of. I realize some people use and enjoy it, if it works for you I understand and respect that, but I will take a big pass on traction control, abs, and tpms to tell me when my tire pressure is low.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote