Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #11566
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,758
Ive had two abs bikes and never had to use it but i still buy just for that " just in case factor" - you never know it may save a life
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #11567
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Gosh you guys are so confused about why some rides want to disable ABS :(

It's got absolutely nothing to so with any of the circumstances described, i.e. on-road riding. The first time you try a steep off-road descent and find the ABS overriding your command to lock the wheels, you will understand why some riders must have the ability to disable ABS. Why do you think that feature is providing on purpose-built ADV bikes? Why do you think experienced off-road riders are looking for ways to disable it?
Do you own a tiger or are you just talking about ABS in general? I ask because all ABS is different with different manufacturers.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #11568
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,479
I went on a ride yesterday and had a blast. 281 miles door to door and probably 200 of that was off road. I was a little nervous when I hit some rocks extremely hard climbing some hills and decending on the other side. Riding in AZ you just have hard sharp rocks everywhere. I hit one set so hard I was sure that I bent the front rim and then I starting thinking that if I get a pinch flat I have no center stand installed to change a tube. I sure didn't want to throw the bike on the side if it ever happens, so I installed the center stand today. It's only been sitting in my gargage for the last month. Now it's installed. What a pain in the ass installing it.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #11569
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
ABS saved my bacon.

Went for my first ride of the season today. The weather was reasonably warm and sunny. Riding the back roads in the countryside, it started to get dark, i was getting cold and tired, my mind was wondering. Booting along I crest a slight hill, and find a rather steep downhill to a stop sign about 100 ft away. I put on the brakes gently front and rear, and the abs kicks in all round. The road was like a friggin' beach leading up to the stop sign. (Laid down extra thick by all the sanding trucks) I didn't think I was going to stop in time. The ABS was a clickin', the suspension was a clackin'. All I could do was squeeze the living piss out of the brakes. As I started to get closer to the stop sign my speed finaly started to get scrubbed off and the abs found their stride. Worked like a charm, stopped with only the the front wheel over the line. This is my first bike with abs and I couldn't be happier with the way the performed. Has I not had abs, i would have gone down for sure.

the_babaji screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 05:22 PM
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #11570
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
With ABS, the speed sensor is included as part of the ABS. This means you can change sprockets as wild as you want & the speedo/odo is not affected. However, if you get really sticky thick mud on the ABS ring, then it can cause a check engine light. This happened to me & it was a speed sensor error. It just required cleaning the mud off & reset the light.

That's the only reasons I know of that would influence offroad ABS. I always turn it off on any kind of dirt. I'm to used to locking up & sliding to a stop.

My XC has ABS & I love it on wet tarmac. I use it a lot because I've never had it before & I want to learn what to expect.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #11571
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,706
GPS mount

For lack of a better, realistically priced option that I have seen for mounting my GPS in combination with my modified low mount stock windscreen I decided to make my own and take advantage of the dead space between the handlebar clamp and instrument cluster. Works well with my garmin Montana. Ran the powered mount back to my switched fuse block.

swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #11572
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
For lack of a better, realistically priced option that I have seen for mounting my GPS in combination with my modified low mount stock windscreen I decided to make my own and take advantage of the dead space between the handlebar clamp and instrument cluster. Works well with my garmin Montana. Ran the powered mount back to my switched fuse block.

Simple and functional. Very nice!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #11573
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Went for my first ride of the season today. The weather was reasonably warm and sunny. Riding the back roads in the countryside, it started to get dark, i was getting cold and tired, my mind was wondering. Booting along I crest a slight hill, and find a rather steep downhill to a stop sign about 100 ft away. I put on the brakes gently front and rear, and the abs kicks in all round. The road was like a friggin' beach leading up to the stop sign. (Laid down extra thick by all the sanding trucks) I didn't think I was going to stop in time. The ABS was a clickin', the suspension was a clackin'. All I could do was squeeze the living piss out of the brakes. As I started to get closer to the stop sign my speed finaly started to get scrubbed off and the abs found their stride. Worked like a charm, stopped with only the the front wheel over the line. This is my first bike with abs and I couldn't be happier with the way the performed. Has I not had abs, i would have gone down for sure.
Wow another rider with no dirt riding skills, we're everywhere.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #11574
NaDSoB
Another asshole on a KLR

Oddometer: 364
Question Air horn

I'm thinking about adding a Stebel Nautilus Air Horn to my XC. Has anybody already done this successfully? Got any mounting tips/ideas? Best location for the horn?

Thanx!

Meat Loaf from "A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste", Lyrics by Jim Steinman
NaDSoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #11575
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Honk! Honk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaDSoB View Post
I'm thinking about adding a Stebel Nautilus Air Horn to my XC. Has anybody already done this successfully? Got any mounting tips/ideas? Best location for the horn? Thanx!
There are several threads on another forum about mounting the Stebel Nautilus to Tiger 800s.

Here's one: http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3191.0.html

I have a Stebel Nautilus on my R80RT that I intend to remove before I sell it(wanna buy an airhead?) but after looking over my Tiger Roadie, I am not at all sure of how that project will proceed. I may let that sucker fly in the great wide open. Maybe buy another one and mount them like Motolights on the front brake calipers! Would sure nuff make noise!
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #11576
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

Hey Swimmer, where did you pick up the power for the montana? Also, the mount you have, do you have some details? Material, etc.....?

Looks nice, I need to mount my Montana as well. Been putting this off for a while.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #11577
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I went on a ride yesterday and had a blast. 281 miles door to door and probably 200 of that was off road. I was a little nervous when I hit some rocks extremely hard climbing some hills and decending on the other side. Riding in AZ you just have hard sharp rocks everywhere. I hit one set so hard I was sure that I bent the front rim and then I starting thinking that if I get a pinch flat I have no center stand installed to change a tube. I sure didn't want to throw the bike on the side if it ever happens, so I installed the center stand today. It's only been sitting in my gargage for the last month. Now it's installed. What a pain in the ass installing it.
Good move! Center stand makes fixing flats child's play. But, FYI, you can do it without the center stand ... and no need to lay bike on its side. Much better to find a big rock, stump, or whatever ... lean bike over onto side stand and wedge rock up under skid plate.

Move rock fore or aft to raise either front or back wheel off the ground. Put bike in gear, if rear, secure front tire. Bit of a struggle solo but can be done even with a heavy bike. Go slow, be careful. It works.

That is very good news that the rim did not dent! I was wondering about the strength of those wheels.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #11578
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Gosh you guys are so confused about why some rides want to disable ABS :(

It's got absolutely nothing to so with any of the circumstances described, i.e. on-road riding. The first time you try a steep off-road descent and find the ABS overriding your command to lock the wheels, you will understand why some riders must have the ability to disable ABS. Why do you think that feature is providing on purpose-built ADV bikes? Why do you think experienced off-road riders are looking for ways to disable it?
I'd agree if you're talking ABS systems in general, but look at how good the Super Tenere's ABS system works. Pretty much any experienced dirt rider who has actually tested the system just leaves it on now because it simply works, no matter what the conditions. I don't think the Tiger's is that good, but I have read several riders being surprised at how good they found the Tiger's ABS on loose surfaces. Too many riders have been conditioned for years dealing with BMW's ABS which is down right scary on anything other than pavement.

Personally, I'd choose ABS if it was available but it's not that important to me or a deal breaker in choosing a bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #11579
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
There are several threads on another forum about mounting the Stebel Nautilus to Tiger 800s.

Here's one: http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3191.0.html

I have a Stebel Nautilus on my R80RT that I intend to remove before I sell it(wanna buy an airhead?) but after looking over my Tiger Roadie, I am not at all sure of how that project will proceed. I may let that sucker fly in the great wide open. Maybe buy another one and mount them like Motolights on the front brake calipers! Would sure nuff make noise!
Lol, that works on early-model non-ABS Tiger 800's only.

Kinda funny the timing -- I couldn't resist.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #11580
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaDSoB View Post
I'm thinking about adding a Stebel Nautilus Air Horn to my XC. Has anybody already done this successfully? Got any mounting tips/ideas? Best location for the horn?

Thanx!
I've slung mine into the hollow of the factory engine guards. I'm a bit embarassed, as 6 months ago I put it in with cable ties as a temporary measure and it's been there ever since. But if you wedge it in just right, it stays far enough from the motor and tight to the bars and doesn't move. We used some little rubber feet to compress as a gripper system of sorts.

It's just hanging there pointing out and slightly forward. Full power honkij at my thumb-tip.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote