Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #11566
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Turns out its my fault. The lead shot I put in my bars to try and kill the vibration got in the switch. Chalk that one down to my stupidity. damn the luckOh well
Well at least you got it figured out.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #11567
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Well at least you got it figured out.
yep, FYI, tape off the little holes in the handlebars if you move your controls so the lead shot doesn't come out
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #11568
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

I removed the charcoal canister last night on the tiger. I plugged off the three intake ports and removed the solenoid from its spot down by the swing arm. If you chase the wiring back to the rear harness you will find enough wire to move the solenoid just to the rear of the intake snorkel. This should keep it out of harms way. I ran some tubing to connect the two nipples to keep any debris from getting in. While i had the tank and airbox off I checked the idle linkage, which was pretty dry and ran the wiring for my heated grips. It's coming together now.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #11569
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
yep, FYI, tape off the little holes in the handlebars if you move your controls so the lead shot doesn't come out
Did you find the lead helped with the vibes?
I just put the Rox anti-vibration risers on mine and it helped quite a bit but I still have some buzzing going on.
I was going to try lead filled bars or end weights next.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #11570
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
The day has come...picking up my 800XC in a few hours.

I just popped in ahead of time while the bike is being prepped to pay the balance and deal with paperwork. And of course...the finance guy tossed the extended warranty at me.

Normally, I avoid these things like the plague...but this one has me thinking. Heading into retirement, I plan on riding a LOT. I'm certain I'll be one of those racking many, many thousands of miles per year - and the price really isn't that bad. My thinking being, that I'm going to fall well outside the average usage upon which these insurance plans base their rates.

It's a Western Service Contract, which I've seen mentioned a few times around here - they seem to handle claims pretty well. Doesn't kick in until the 2 year manufacturer warranty is up, but is then good for an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage. Since it's good at non-Triumph repair facilities, it actually addresses the one concern I have with this bike for cross country treks...the smaller dealer network. It's also transferrable.

Yes, it could be purchased any time prior to the OEM warranty expiring - at $1258. The special "day of delivery only price" - $858. Seems cheap for the peace of mind.

I think I've talked myself into it, but any words of wisdom that show up here in the next few hours might sway me otherwise...
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #11571
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Yes, it could be purchased any time prior to the OEM warranty expiring - at $1258. The special "day of delivery only price" - $858. Seems cheap for the peace of mind.
I would venture a small wager that you can purchase it at any time prior to the end of the OEM warranty for the "special" price if you are a decent negotiator.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #11572
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
The day has come...picking up my 800XC in a few hours.

I just popped in ahead of time while the bike is being prepped to pay the balance and deal with paperwork. And of course...the finance guy tossed the extended warranty at me.

Normally, I avoid these things like the plague...but this one has me thinking. Heading into retirement, I plan on riding a LOT. I'm certain I'll be one of those racking many, many thousands of miles per year - and the price really isn't that bad. My thinking being, that I'm going to fall well outside the average usage upon which these insurance plans base their rates.

It's a Western Service Contract, which I've seen mentioned a few times around here - they seem to handle claims pretty well. Doesn't kick in until the 2 year manufacturer warranty is up, but is then good for an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage. Since it's good at non-Triumph repair facilities, it actually addresses the one concern I have with this bike for cross country treks...the smaller dealer network. It's also transferrable.

I think I've talked myself into it, but any words of wisdom that show up here in the next few hours might sway me otherwise...
Sounds like not a bad deal, but I'm like you mentioned at first. I never buy extended warranties. I had a friend who worked for a large electronics shop and he said they absolutely loved extended warranties as they were pure profit for the company. My personal belief is that you will be further ahead in the long run if you don't pay for extended warranties. That's my opinion based on my habits. We own too many bikes, quads, sleds, vehicles so if I were to buy extended warranties for everything I would be broke. Same for insurance, I just keep liability on all the vehicles and even if I had a complete write off every 3-4 years, I'd still be ahead.

Now in your situation talking about 1 vehicle and for your peace of mind, maybe but I still wouldn't bother. $800 buys a lot of gas or 4 sets of tires.

If it breaks on the road, you just fix it. You said you're retired so it's not like you *have* to be anywhere, or feel like you got screwed out of your 2 weeks vacation etc.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #11573
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
I removed the charcoal canister last night on the tiger. I plugged off the three intake ports and removed the solenoid from its spot down by the swing arm. If you chase the wiring back to the rear harness you will find enough wire to move the solenoid just to the rear of the intake snorkel. This should keep it out of harms way. I ran some tubing to connect the two nipples to keep any debris from getting in. While i had the tank and airbox off I checked the idle linkage, which was pretty dry and ran the wiring for my heated grips. It's coming together now.
Why not just disconnect and remove the solenoid completely? There is no diagnostics on it. Any signal to activate the solenoid just goes to a broken circuit.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #11574
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
Did you find the lead helped with the vibes?
I just put the Rox anti-vibration risers on mine and it helped quite a bit but I still have some buzzing going on.
I was going to try lead filled bars or end weights next.

Jim
I don't know yet. I haven't been on any long trips with the little mod yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #11575
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
can anyone tell me the width, on the bike, of the 37L Trax EVO bags with SW Motech mounts on the 800? TIA.
45L (left) + 37L (right) + SW mounts= 41" (symmetrical)

2x 37's would be about 2" less and asymmetrical

Marsh Tiger screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 04:53 PM
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #11576
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Why not just disconnect and remove the solenoid completely? There is no diagnostics on it. Any signal to activate the solenoid just goes to a broken circuit.
I wasn't aware of that. I figured it would throw a code, like most obd2 systems if there is an issue with the evap. I will try unhooking it and looking for a trouble code. If it doesn't throw a code then it is outa there! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #11577
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
In the early 90's I put a Corbin seat on my H-D FXR just before going to Sturgis. The 1st day on the road it pissed down rain all day, then the sun came out and the weather was great. I still got a wet arse for the nexrt week.
Just wanted to comment on all the corbin hate. I've had Corbins on my VFR and DR650 for over 100k miles in all kinds of weather including spending 10 hours in a torrential rain riding through the remnants of a hurricane and had no problems with the seats absorbing water. YMMV.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #11578
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
Just wanted to comment on all the corbin hate. I've had Corbins on my VFR and DR650 for over 100k miles in all kinds of weather including spending 10 hours in a torrential rain riding through the remnants of a hurricane and had no problems with the seats absorbing water. YMMV.

I dont think it was "Corbin Hate" as much as Corbin comments. Even they say that thier seates aren't waterproof... I'm glad you have had luck with yours.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #11579
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Not so much Corbin hate as Corbin disappointment. I had a Corbin seat on both a BMW K bike and a Yamaha and they both were heavy, soaked up rain, fit poorly to the point of having to shim their latches and hinges, and came apart at the seams within 2 years. Never again.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #11580
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
First negative comments I've ever heard on Corbin.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote