User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #11641
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Leaking RHS fork seal

Picked up my Tiger 800 from its winter dwell at the dealer last night. This afternoon I notice that the right fork leg is leaking oil. It most definitely wasn't leaking when I left it (to have a scratched alternator cover replaced following a diesel spill induced low side last summer) and I can't remember it leaking yesterday night or this morning.

Called the dealer and was told to wipe it off and flex the fork up and down a couple of times and then wipe again. Rinse and repeat, then let sit for an hour or so. Did that and it still leaks.

Hoping that a http://www.sealmate.net will fix it. Only annoying thing now is that I ordered it to be picked up at the retailers location and the next couple of days it'll be too cold to ride safely. =[
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #11642
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Picked up my Tiger 800 from its winter dwell at the dealer last night. This afternoon I notice that the right fork leg is leaking oil. It most definitely wasn't leaking when I left it (to have a scratched alternator cover replaced following a diesel spill induced low side last summer) and I can't remember it leaking yesterday night or this morning.

Called the dealer and was told to wipe it off and flex the fork up and down a couple of times and then wipe again. Rinse and repeat, then let sit for an hour or so. Did that and it still leaks.

Hoping that a http://www.sealmate.net will fix it. Only annoying thing now is that I ordered it to be picked up at the retailers location and the next couple of days it'll be too cold to ride safely. =[
Fork seals leak. Some last forever, some last 2 days. Without knowing how much oil you lost you will have to have the seal replaced. Seal mate works great but only right after you realize it started leaking. A fork skin thingy is the best preventative measure. If your mechanically inclined at all you can do your own fork seals. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that tell you how. Someone on here may very well naysay me, but this is my experience.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #11643
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
With all this talk about stands, does anyone make a collapsible stand that works with a set of spools? Basically a maintenance stand that can break down and stow somewhere until it is needed?
Sure do and it works great.

http://www.packjack.ca/index.php

Jerry
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #11644
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Fork seals leak. Some last forever, some last 2 days. Without knowing how much oil you lost you will have to have the seal replaced. Seal mate works great but only right after you realize it started leaking. A fork skin thingy is the best preventative measure. If your mechanically inclined at all you can do your own fork seals. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that tell you how. Someone on here may very well naysay me, but this is my experience.
I don't have a problem with the mechanical side of it, actually I rather like tinkering with mechanical things. My limitation is that I don't have a good place to do the picking apart of the delicate fork tubes. So either it's the sealmate or the bike'll go back to the dealer to have him do whatever he feels needs to be done. If he's gonna change the seals I just hope it'll be Triumph covering the costs and not me as I'm guessing that there's some labor involved.

drgunther screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 02:40 PM Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #11645
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the mechanical side of it, actually I rather like tinkering with mechanical things. My limitation is that I don't have a good place to do the picking apart of the delicate fork tubes. So either it's the sealmate or the bike'll go back to the dealer to have him do whatever he feels needs to be done. If he's gonna change the seals I just hope it'll be Triumph covering the costs and not me as I'm guessing that there's some labor involved.
If you have a space large enough to lay down the fork then you have enough room. What do you mean delicate fork tubes? Watch one of the videos and then decide. It's not bad. It can also get messy. You will have to buy some specific tools as well but thats a one time fee. If you do decide to have someone else do it I would call around. There are lots of motorcycle suspension shops that I am sure would do it cheaper than your dealer.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #11646
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
If you have a space large enough to lay down the fork then you have enough room. What do you mean delicate fork tubes? Watch one of the videos and then decide. It's not bad. It can also get messy. You will have to buy some specific tools as well but thats a one time fee.
My situation is basically that I'm storing my bike on an uncovered parking space (which is dedicated to me) but other wise out in the open. =) I'll have to see what my brain comes up with during the night.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #11647
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'm all for function over form, but there's a reason I like "naked" bikes. I like to see the motor. Bikes like the new Multistrada completely bury the motor in "stuff". So even though I'm typically not driven by fashion I wouldn't want to cover up the motor. Functionally, I think you may be creating more of problem than solving one. I would think those covers would trap more heat, then help to get rid of it.

Buell Uly riders had a similar set of heat shields called the Buell Comfort kit, but the big difference with the Uly shields was that they not only blocked the hot air from escaping at the sides of the frame rails, they also directed that blocked hot air out the back of the bike. If you're not giving the hot air any place to go it's just going to make your motor hotter, make your fan kick in more, and simply dump the hot air out a little lower than original.

With the openness of the Tiger motors I'm not sure how much cooler you could make them. My wife, who is sensitive to heat, has never complained about her Street Triple and we ride in 80-95 degree temps all summer. I've never noticed the heat on her bike either. She sold her Ninja 650 because it cooked her legs.
The wife (two up ) gets the heat coming up between the seats so this mod may send it there - when i ride standing up it doesnt bother me the air gets caught in the legs while sitting so it needs to be moved somehow from there

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 03:14 PM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #11648
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
My situation is basically that I'm storing my bike on an uncovered parking space (which is dedicated to me) but other wise out in the open. =) I'll have to see what my brain comes up with during the night.
get a tarp. do it in your kitchen.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #11649
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
underseat mod

I have searched high and low in this thread and on tiger800.co.uk forum - I remember seeing a mod for under the pillion seat whereby someone had attached bungee or paracord to the underside. It was to store a tool roll.

In my mind there was a picture posted. Can one of you guys help me find it - or if you have done it, post a picture?

Thanks in advance guys.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #11650
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'm all for function over form,

I would think those covers would trap more heat, then help to get rid of it.
There's a gap of about 1&1/2 inches between covers and engine so IMO the heat would go downwards towards your feet.
As far as I'm concerned the heat hitting my thighs is the problem. So, as long as goes somewhere else it's OK.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #11651
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
Sure do and it works great.

http://www.packjack.ca/index.php

Jerry
That's great but it needs to be adjustable according to the bike it's fitting. i.e. the diameter of the wheel and where it can be positioned.
Also, can you get it under there with a flat tyre?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #11652
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's great but it needs to be adjustable according to the bike it's fitting. i.e. the diameter of the wheel and where it can be positioned.
And does it do the front....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #11653
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Not to mention they want nearly $50 for about 14" of aluminum channel and a nut and bolt. I bet I could make one for about fifteen bucks.
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #11654
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post

As for the centerstand, besides being made of unobtanium, I'd just as soon not have any more crap hanging under the bike, but that's just me...not a matter of being cheap.

Cheers!
+1 I agree, I don't want any more crap and weight on my bike. Coming from sportbikes I'm used to not having a center stand on my bike and when at home I have several front and rear stands I can use. I have the trail stand with me only for emergencies. Likely I'll never use it, but if I have to it will be easier then finding rocks or stumps to prop the bike on.

Having traded in my Sumodero Honda for the lighter Tiger I seem to have a bit of an obsession with weight, I don't want to add any unnecessarily and to me the center stand is not necessary. That's just me.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11655
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
There is an adjustable one available(I have one) to fit most applications, as far as changing a flat I never had to so not sure.
Not sure about lifting the front, send an email to Packjack to find out for sure.
As far as making one, I could being a machinist since 1964 but sourcing the material in 2 different sizes and then finding just some short pieces in the scrap bin is a PITA(been there done that) so I just bought one, was easier for me, YMMV.

Jerry