Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #11641
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
My situation is basically that I'm storing my bike on an uncovered parking space (which is dedicated to me) but other wise out in the open. =) I'll have to see what my brain comes up with during the night.
get a tarp. do it in your kitchen.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #11642
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
underseat mod

I have searched high and low in this thread and on tiger800.co.uk forum - I remember seeing a mod for under the pillion seat whereby someone had attached bungee or paracord to the underside. It was to store a tool roll.

In my mind there was a picture posted. Can one of you guys help me find it - or if you have done it, post a picture?

Thanks in advance guys.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #11643
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'm all for function over form,

I would think those covers would trap more heat, then help to get rid of it.
There's a gap of about 1&1/2 inches between covers and engine so IMO the heat would go downwards towards your feet.
As far as I'm concerned the heat hitting my thighs is the problem. So, as long as goes somewhere else it's OK.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #11644
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
Sure do and it works great.

http://www.packjack.ca/index.php

Jerry
That's great but it needs to be adjustable according to the bike it's fitting. i.e. the diameter of the wheel and where it can be positioned.
Also, can you get it under there with a flat tyre?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #11645
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's great but it needs to be adjustable according to the bike it's fitting. i.e. the diameter of the wheel and where it can be positioned.
And does it do the front....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #11646
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Not to mention they want nearly $50 for about 14" of aluminum channel and a nut and bolt. I bet I could make one for about fifteen bucks.
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #11647
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post

As for the centerstand, besides being made of unobtanium, I'd just as soon not have any more crap hanging under the bike, but that's just me...not a matter of being cheap.

Cheers!
+1 I agree, I don't want any more crap and weight on my bike. Coming from sportbikes I'm used to not having a center stand on my bike and when at home I have several front and rear stands I can use. I have the trail stand with me only for emergencies. Likely I'll never use it, but if I have to it will be easier then finding rocks or stumps to prop the bike on.

Having traded in my Sumodero Honda for the lighter Tiger I seem to have a bit of an obsession with weight, I don't want to add any unnecessarily and to me the center stand is not necessary. That's just me.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11648
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
There is an adjustable one available(I have one) to fit most applications, as far as changing a flat I never had to so not sure.
Not sure about lifting the front, send an email to Packjack to find out for sure.
As far as making one, I could being a machinist since 1964 but sourcing the material in 2 different sizes and then finding just some short pieces in the scrap bin is a PITA(been there done that) so I just bought one, was easier for me, YMMV.

Jerry
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #11649
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
+1 I agree, I don't want any more crap and weight on my bike. Coming from sportbikes I'm used to not having a center stand on my bike and when at home I have several front and rear stands I can use. I have the trail stand with me only for emergencies. Likely I'll never use it, but if I have to it will be easier then finding rocks or stumps to prop the bike on.

Having traded in my Sumodero Honda for the lighter Tiger I seem to have a bit of an obsession with weight, I don't want to add any unnecessarily and to me the center stand is not necessary. That's just me.
I get where you're coming from. A lot depends on how guys travel, what they carry, how much off road is intended and how serious that off road will be.

Getting rid of weight is a very expensive proposition. Probably better to go on a diet than spend big money on Fancy Titanium items! Traveling light is an Art. I'm still working on it!

Adding weight is too easy. Ever weigh crash bars, bash plate, bark busters and center stand?

For long tours that are mostly paved roads, I can certainly understand the convenience of a main stand: Flats, lubing chain, maintenance and packing/unpacking, all made a bit easier with the center stand deployed.

But off road every Lb. matters. Some guys think I'm nuts not to have a center stand on my DR650. After all, it's only 9 or 10 lbs. bolts and all. But to me, at some point, if the bike gets too heavy it becomes useless off road ... and too much for me to handle. 10 lbs. is A LOT! (DIET!!)

But many riders don't care ... or don't grasp what weight does off road. I used to use Hard Bags on my DR650 until I weighed them. I lost 32 lbs. switching to a soft bag set up. 32 lbs. represents a big percentage of ALL the gear I take on a month long ride. (I pack to 60 lbs. max).

But for most riders, graded dirt and gravel is the most they will do. But if you get into Burren Rider territory down under ... then lighter is better, IMHO.

Add too much weight and you get into suspension issues, handling wobblies and who knows what.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 10:18 PM Reason: punc.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #11650
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
And does it do the front....
I've actually used props on bikes ... for years actually. YES ... you do need to practice at home so you know what you're getting into. You need to know where the prop is going depending if you want to raise the front or rear. Secure the front if doing the rear. Place prop further forward to raise front wheel.

And YES a rear flat makes it tricky ... like I mentioned in earlier post ... having a buddy to help is really nice on a big bike. You really have to honk your bike WAY over onto the side stand in order to fit the prop when you have a flat. A bit tricky on big heavy bike ... but doable ... but scary.
(will the side stand "Hold"? )

I learned to balance and spin my bike around on it's side stand years ago in Baja.

This is how we lubed our chains: Start bike, pull in clutch, hoik bike up, put in gear, kneel down with spray lube, let out clutch and lube chain while balancing bike on side stand as wheel spins ... Don't fuck up.

Would I try this on a 500 lb. bike? No fucking way !
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #11651
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I learned to balance and spin my bike around on it's side stand years ago in Baja.

This is how we lubed our chains: Start bike, pull in clutch, hoik bike up, put in gear, kneel down with spray lube, let out clutch and lube chain while balancing bike on side stand as wheel spins ... Don't fuck up.

Would I try this on a 500 lb. bike? No fucking way !
You can't do it anyway because, with the side stand down, the engine cuts out as soon as you put it in gear. So that'll be another reason for having a centre stand.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #11652
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I have Montana wired to my http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ that I pulled off my versys before trading it in. I just used some ~.060" aluminum for the mount. I had planned and drawn it to use ~.100" but hte .060" I had was close to the right overall dimensions. It works OK but a little thicker would be better.

I was going to have someone else make this and anodize it but unless I get about 20 made it's just to expensive. So I just made it myself and painted it.
I got a fuzeblock sitting on my desk here for a few months. Can't decide where / how to mount it so that I won't be worse off for water issues than stock -- could take my compressor and spare tube out from under the rear rack, but I started thinking that's a bit enclosed and might get dew etc.. and cause problems. So can you share your setup, and any pics of it? It would be appreciated!

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #11653
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I got a fuzeblock sitting on my desk here for a few months. Can't decide where / how to mount it so that I won't be worse off for water issues than stock -- could take my compressor and spare tube out from under the rear rack, but I started thinking that's a bit enclosed and might get dew etc.. and cause problems. So can you share your setup, and any pics of it? It would be appreciated!

Chris
I don't think under the tail rack would be a problem just a pain to get to should you blow a fuse. Should have bought the Eastern Beaver 3CS, it fits nicely under the seat next to the bike fuse blocks.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #11654
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
After riding in to work in drizzle I notice my tailbag was covered in mud and road grime. I don't think the wife would be too happy to have her back covered in that much crap if we get caught in some rain while riding. Is anyone using the triumph rear mud guard extender with any success? It looks like it would take care of the problem.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #11655
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post

That much weight down low, on a bike that heavy, isnt going to make a bit of difference. You dont know how handy they are untill you have one.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote