Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #11641
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
One thing I did notice was the popping on the overrun that I don't recall getting with the stock can - anything to be concerned about ? To me that indicates a lean condition and I really don't like it to be too lean.
I think you're right about it being too lean. I ran the stock can map with my Arrow for awhile and it popped a lot like that. I installed the correct map and the popping went away and IMO runs a lot better although fuel mileage suffers.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #11642
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I think you're right about it being too lean. I ran the stock can map with my Arrow for awhile and it popped a lot like that. I installed the correct map and the popping went away and IMO runs a lot better although fuel mileage suffers.
I think the Arrow requires a new tune but the Scorpion was designed from get go to be used with the stock map (which is what I have installed) - that's my understanding at least. As I say, throttle response appears to be much crisper, the only thing is the popping. It's not bad to be honest (the popping on my Husky is much worse and it runs just fine), I was just curious more than anything.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #11643
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I think the Arrow requires a new tune but the Scorpion was designed from get go to be used with the stock map (which is what I have installed) - that's my understanding at least. As I say, throttle response appears to be much crisper, the only thing is the popping. It's not bad to be honest (the popping on my Husky is much worse and it runs just fine), I was just curious more than anything.
How much more does it pop, than the stock bike with original can?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #11644
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
How much more does it pop, than the stock bike with original can?
Hard to say since it's been a while (Dec) since I rode the bike. It really doesn't pop too much, it was just something I noticed.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #11645
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good move! Center stand makes fixing flats child's play. But, FYI, you can do it without the center stand ... and no need to lay bike on its side. Much better to find a big rock, stump, or whatever ... lean bike over onto side stand and wedge rock up under skid plate.

Move rock fore or aft to raise either front or back wheel off the ground. Put bike in gear, if rear, secure front tire. Bit of a struggle solo but can be done even with a heavy bike. Go slow, be careful. It works.

That is very good news that the rim did not dent! I was wondering about the strength of those wheels.

Rocks are almost always available where I am, but not everywhere else. Also I didn't want the extra weight of a center stand so I opted for the Enduro Star Trail stand. You can find it in the Vendor's section. Small and lightweight, portable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #11646
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Hey Swimmer, where did you pick up the power for the montana? Also, the mount you have, do you have some details? Material, etc.....?

Looks nice, I need to mount my Montana as well. Been putting this off for a while.
I have Montana wired to my http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ that I pulled off my versys before trading it in. I just used some ~.060" aluminum for the mount. I had planned and drawn it to use ~.100" but hte .060" I had was close to the right overall dimensions. It works OK but a little thicker would be better.

I was going to have someone else make this and anodize it but unless I get about 20 made it's just to expensive. So I just made it myself and painted it.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #11647
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
I also fitted the new Scorpion can I've had for a while now. I did struggle a bit with the connector pipe - it's a bigger diameter than stock and in the end I had to take out the braid type stuff from the header pipe to make it fit.

It sounds lovely now - throttle response seems to be better, more crisp. I've tried it with the baffle in and out. In it's a tad to quiet and out it's a tad too loud so I may have to drill some holes in the baffle to waken it up a little.
I added 3 extra rows and a 12mm hole in the end plate. Extra rows are the way to go though.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #11648
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
I added 3 extra rows and a 12mm hole in the end plate. Extra rows are the way to go though.

I was hoping you'd chime in.....

So, did you have to remove that braid stuff as well ? I could not figure out how to get the connector in there without removing the braid stuff.

And, do you have the popping ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #11649
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
First Ride

I also had my first ride of the year. A nice warm spell this Saturday, so I insured the bike for the day. Cloudy but dry skies. I was eager to try the new caribou cases and Madstad windscreen I put on over the winter. The screen is great, I will try to raise it another 1/2", but otherwise it is perfect; no turbulence, no noise, loverly. No more weight gaining mods for me, future mods will be to reduce weight, such as aftermarket exhaust and lithium battery. I woke up to fresh snow this morning, so the timing was good. Summer is coming...
Still looking for after market exhaust that don't get too hot to burn a passenger. the LV carbon seems to be an option, anybody else out there have some recommendations?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #11650
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Rocks are almost always available where I am, but not everywhere else. Also I didn't want the extra weight of a center stand so I opted for the Enduro Star Trail stand. You can find it in the Vendor's section. Small and lightweight, portable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235
That is a nice stand! I made my own using a cast off Tripod leg. (super light)
I've used similar with my former Girlie Tiger and it worked ... but it's scary ... do be careful, the Tiger is a BIG heavy bike. Make certain both side stand and the prop stand are on stable ground. Don't bump bike too hard ... or the whole thing can topple over. (no... I don't have pics! ) A buddy securing things is a very good idea.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #11651
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
There are several threads on another forum about mounting the Stebel Nautilus to Tiger 800s.

Here's one: http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3191.0.html

I have a Stebel Nautilus on my R80RT that I intend to remove before I sell it(wanna buy an airhead?) but after looking over my Tiger Roadie, I am not at all sure of how that project will proceed. I may let that sucker fly in the great wide open. Maybe buy another one and mount them like Motolights on the front brake calipers! Would sure nuff make noise!

If you are considering the stebel I think you should have a look at this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cycles-cars-an

http://bansheehorn.com/

Fitment issues will remain similar but I find this to be very clever - one of the reasons i have actually stayed away from stebels to date is solved by this contracption.

I am in NO way affiliated with these guys - I just think it's clever/compelling.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #11652
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:

I was hoping you'd chime in.....

So, did you have to remove that braid stuff as well ? I could not figure out how to get the connector in there without removing the braid stuff.

And, do you have the popping ?

Cheers
Yes you have to remove the braiding. I get a little popping but with the added "gruff" from the exhaust it completes the aural feast.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #11653
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Yes you have to remove the braiding. I get a little popping but with the added "gruff" from the exhaust it completes the aural feast.
Agreed
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #11654
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
LV Can FIt

I did not have to remove the "braided" material (exhaust gasket) to fit the LV mid pipe. Merc & Kildare, yours wouldn't fit at all?
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #11655
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
I did not have to remove the "braided" material (exhaust gasket) to fit the LV mid pipe. Merc & Kildare, yours wouldn't fit at all?
No, not a chance it would fit - the Scorpion connector pipe diameter is bigger then the OEM connector pipe.

Not really a big deal (once you figure it's not actually going to fit no matter how long you stare at it ) as the clamp seals it well enough.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple