Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #11821
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
The install is fine, they would not clear the fork caps otherwise and the actual clamp position on the bar is only changed by 1/4".
And these are rubber-damped so the XC risers is not even a close comparision. The vibration has been cut quite a bit.

jim
is that a rodie? I havnt seen a green XC so I'm guessing it is.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #11822
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Now that I see them in-situ I'm happier that I got the XC risers and SW Motech risers installed on the Tiger. Looks less cluttered
Keep in mind he has posted a picture of the dampened rox risers, not the standard ones which have much less mass (and also can be mounted outside).
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #11823
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Keep in mind he has posted a picture of the dampened rox risers, not the standard ones which have much less mass (and also can be mounted outside).
A better picture shows the hardware associated with the anti-vibe risers.
Yes, its a roadie.
Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #11824
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114

The clutter doesn't bother me nearly as much as scratchin up that nice handlebar paint with the Ram Mount. I don't mount on the handlebar any more, but when I did I used a short section of clear plastic hose between the clamp and the bar to protect the finish.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #11825
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post

The clutter doesn't bother me nearly as much as scratchin up that nice handlebar paint with the Ram Mount. I don't mount on the handlebar any more, but when I did I used a short section of clear plastic hose between the clamp and the bar to protect the finish.
It's also a silly place to put it since that part of the bar is tapered and any vibration could & will send it towards the thinner part and whatever you've got mounted on there will head groundwards.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #11826
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
It's also a silly place to put it since that part of the bar is tapered and any vibration could & will send it towards the thinner part and whatever you've got mounted on there will head groundwards.
Well that’s where it’s mounted, that’s where it’s staying, it doesn't vibrate at all and it works fine.

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #11827
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Boy those are nice, who carries those ? I think I need them.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #11828
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,461
Quote:
Well thatís where itís mounted, thatís where itís staying, it doesn't vibrate at all and it works fine.

Jim
As a noob, you may not have learned it yet, but everyone on adv is an expert and thinks their way is the best. Don't take it personal. Just take a little bit of all of it, and form your own opinion. Looks like you don't need advice on that
Welcome. It's a good place to be
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #11829
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Interesting that those risers are hollow, whereas the normal ones have a threaded hole so you can ount stuff to them.
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #11830
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,870
Quote:
Well thatís where itís mounted, thatís where itís staying, it doesn't vibrate at all and it works fine.

Jim
I was talking from personal experience but if you don't want to be warned that's up to you.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #11831
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I was talking from personal experience but if you don't want to be warned that's up to you.
I have mine in the same place (though with the black counterpart under the U-bolt) and it doesn't vibrate, it doesn't move, and it's in a pretty good spot.

On my R1200GS it was in the same spot, and this bike vibrates quite a bit more. Not a single problem in 10k miles. Also not a problem in 5k miles in that spot on a F800GS which also vibrates more than the tiger. Both tapered.

Maybe you plain didn't attach yours properly?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #11832
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I have mine in the same place (though with the black counterpart under the U-bolt) and it doesn't vibrate, it doesn't move, and it's in a pretty good spot.

On my R1200GS it was in the same spot, and this bike vibrates quite a bit more. Not a single problem in 10k miles. Also not a problem in 5k miles in that spot on a F800GS which also vibrates more than the tiger. Both tapered.

Maybe you plain didn't attach yours properly?
And maybe the fact that my bars are now "rubber mounted" has something to do with that (lack of vibes) and the fact that the Ram mount is rubber buffered also?
I did put a piece of shrink wrap on the U-bolt though, thanks whoever suggested that!
I also had the same mount and GPS on my Buell for over 10k with no problems and that bugger vibrated!

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #11833
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Run it!
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #11834
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,721
Givi Top Plate adapter

Picked up a 2012 XC last Friday. About the first thing I do is add heated grips. Hm. this bike came with 'em. Then I put on a topbox. (The bike came with OEM panniers, which I will never use and will be posted for sale shortly.) Well, there's no bolting anything to that plastic tail cover... and wow, is Givi proud of their solution, and it requires drilling holes in the tail cover. bugger that.

I have an older Givi plate- one of the aluminum ones- that came with some other random kit that's been floating around a while. Got busy, took some measurements, and hit the local hardware store.

4 - 6M x 45mm bolts and washers
2 - 8M x 25mm bolts and washers
2 - 8M nylock nuts
4 - 5/8" dia x 1" steel spacers, 1/2" I.D.
4 - 1/2" dia x 1" nylon spacers, 1/4" I.D. (go inside the steel spacers)
1" x 1/8" metal bar- Only needed 8", but the shortest piece I found was two feet.

Starting with the bar, marked off two four inch sections. For each one, mark for three holes- one 16mm from the end, one 89mm from the end, and one halfway between them (should be 52.5mm from the end). Drill the outer holes to 6mm and the center hole to 8mm.

Cut the pieces out (grumble snarf hacksaw grumble beer whine), then it was a simple matter of assembly- used the spacers to bolt adapter bars above the Triumph tail cover (Look ma, no holes!) then bolt the Givi plate to that. Had to do a little grinding on the underside of the Givi plate to clear the rear 6M bolt heads, but nothing major. Project done, net cost (aside from Givi plate) $20, and only that much because I used SS hardware to forestall rust.

I have reasonable confidence that the 4x6M bolts can carry the load, but I'll keep an eye on it. Worst case, I drill and tap those to 8M.

Next up: Horns... plural.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #11835
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Not sure if this has been brought up and addressed. I haven't seen it covered yet. My kickstand is clanging up and down over bumps. It is kind of annoying, Is any one else experiencing this? I was thinking a heavier spring would help.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote