User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #11971
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,377
Pre-Filter

Can someone provide the page to the pre-filter, I know it's in here somewhere but I can't locate it. Also, if someone has the part number and more information on it, that would be great. Thanks,
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #11972
Bert the tigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Can someone provide the page to the pre-filter, I know it's in here somewhere but I can't locate it. Also, if someone has the part number and more information on it, that would be great. Thanks,
Uni filter in OZ. Google is your friend. easy on a non ABS bike, pain in the arse to fit on a ABS bike.
Bert the tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #11973
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert the tigger View Post
Uni filter in OZ. Google is your friend. easy on a non ABS bike, pain in the arse to fit on a ABS bike.
Thanks, I found it on Dialing in the 800 post 401.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #11974
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Pt # NU3703
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #11975
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,181
anyone mount soft saddlebags without a rack? I'm thinking of the Ortliebs. Anything else out there? Pictures?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #11976
shunpiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Got my new Saddlemen Adventure seat this week. Not bad so far. It is flatter, a little wider and very firm. It is a bit strange with the "suede" rider perch and family jewel protection channel. Passenger seat is better, more padding basically. Passenger seat has metal rings ( two on each side) for bungees. Saddlemen rep told me they are working on soft luggage to attach to these points. 200 miles so far. Sorry for no pics.
shunpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #11977
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
anyone mount soft saddlebags without a rack? I'm thinking of the Ortliebs. Anything else out there? Pictures?
I wouldn't recommend it. I just got the ortlieb moto saddlebags and there is no way to stay off the exhaust without some kind of rack. The racks doesn't have to be anything special. I plan to make a small hoop on both sides using the stock case mounting locations.
internalcombust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #11978
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
Got my new Saddlemen Adventure seat this week. Sorry for no pics.
Here's a pic from the Saddlemen site:

RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #11979
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
Got my new Saddlemen Adventure seat this week. Not bad so far. It is flatter, a little wider and very firm. It is a bit strange with the "suede" rider perch and family jewel protection channel. Passenger seat is better, more padding basically. Passenger seat has metal rings ( two on each side) for bungees. Saddlemen rep told me they are working on soft luggage to attach to these points. 200 miles so far. Sorry for no pics.
How would you compare the seat height to the stock seat. High or low position?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #11980
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Here's a pic from the Saddlemen site:

That is a very interesting seat. Not sure I've seen one like that (well on this kind of bike at least) before...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #11981
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
I've got a set of Ortliebs, but am planning on replacing them with one of the loop bags - need more storage. I can snap up some pics in the next couple of days.

With the stock exhaust...you would likely need to fab something up, as the existing exhaust shield isn't big enough to provide complete protection for the Ortliebs. Or, you could use this as an opportunity to pick up CF slip on - I've got the Leo Vince. In my limited testing, it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to melt the bags. I went out for some very spirited riding last weekend, and took the IR thermometer with me. I never got a reading higher than mid-130's anywhere on the CF portion of the slip on.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #11982
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Soft bags

Quote:
I decided to get a Leo Vince carbon exhaust which is cool enough that I can set ortlieb bags on it with no trouble so far.

This keeps the rear profile nice and narrow and was cheaper than buying racks and bags. Can also add a small amount of punch to the ride.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #11983
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Highly recommend the Giant Loop bags. I use a Giant Loop "coyote" bag (located in the pillion seat area) and medium size Ortlieb dry bag on the rear rack/hand grab area. Fits great, compact, bombproof off-road, and stores everything you need for a month long trip. If you have to carry more gear.....go with the Giant Loop "Great Basin". NO RACK REQUIRED and waterproof.

I can't speak for the Great Basin, but the heat shield on the stock exhaust provides adequate protection for the Coyote.

This setup saves you 30lbs of aluminum boxes and a rack! A huge weight savings!! In my opinion, it is much safer when riding off-road. The downside, is that you can't "lock/secure" the Giant Loop bags and contents on the bike. Therefore, I bring the bag in the hotel at night..... While it's not that big of a deal, it's certainly would be nicer to simply lock the aluminum panniers and carry just the Ortlieb dry bag in for the evening (I keep all my day to day clothes, etc. in the Ortlieb and tools, spares, first aid, rain gear, etc. in the Coyote). Obviously, this isn't an issue if you're camping.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #11984
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
With the stock exhaust...you would likely need to fab something up, as the existing exhaust shield isn't big enough to provide complete protection for the Ortliebs.
Thoughts?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #11985
shunpiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I would say the Saddlemen seat is closer to the low position. It does not appear to be adjustable. I have a 34in inseam and it works so far. Thank you for posting the pic.
shunpiker is offline   Reply With Quote