Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Motion Pro Rim Shields

They work A+.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=36693
I actually just bought some of those but I have not had a chance to try them yet. I bought them even though I have read some poor reviews and after receiving mine, I can see how people have not been happy with them. The shape seems fine (much better then those narrower ones) but they seem to be made of the wrong material - they are made of, what appears to be, brittle plastic so I'm not sure how well they hold up. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
depends on how you do it. they make those high strength plastic tire changing levers that work with manual tire changers.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/?gcl...FQNgTAoddUSKWw (click on accessories for the plastic tools)

or you can use leather to help protect the wheel for metal spoons/levers. just put the leather between the spoon and metal.

These are my methods.
I'll try that link and thanks for the tip on using leather - that sounds like a really good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Yeah, I do all my own tire changes. And if you saw the state of my Tiger at present you wouldn't ask me that question -- it's covered with mud and road grime, and has been for weeks. My answer would be to simply stop caring about a few scratches on the rims.

But seriously... you could always try wrapping the tips of your tire irons in a few layers of duct tape. Or using rim protectors, but personally, I hate those damn things.

--mark
No worries, I'm sure at some point I'll feel the same way but I had hoped to keep it looking nice a little longer....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #12167
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Re: tank bags... I've been using an Oxford one on my XC.

I had initially bought it for my Clarke-tank-equipped XR650L.

But as it happens the Oxford fits on the Tiger perfectly. It's smaller than the tank bag I used to use on the Wee-Strom, but the Wee's tank was bigger and much flatter on top so could accommodate a bigger bag. I kind of miss the extra volume (I could carry a lot of crap in the bigger bag), but then again it's probably a good thing to limit what I can pack (I could carry a lot of crap in the bigger bag...).

One of the nice things about the Oxford bag is that it quick-detaches from its strap-mounted base by means of a peripheral zipper -- this makes it super-convenient to remove from the bike when stopping for lunch or whatever.

Plus it's British, so it's right at home on the Tiger.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #12168
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The shape seems fine (much better then those narrower ones) but they seem to be made of the wrong material - they are made of, what appears to be, brittle plastic so I'm not sure how well they hold up. We'll see.
I've put mine through the wringer and have not yet managed to even crack one.

Another thought for non-scratching is to use levers that are themselves non-scratching material. I have a set of these (the name escapes me at the moment) and they work well except for when you're halfway around the wheel and the going gets tough; there's not enough space to get the lever between the wheel and tire.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #12169
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I've put mine through the wringer and have not yet managed to even crack one.

Another thought for non-scratching is to use levers that are themselves non-scratching material. I have a set of these (the name escapes me at the moment) and they work well except for when you're halfway around the wheel and the going gets tough; there's not enough space to get the lever between the wheel and tire.
That is good to know. I just put new tires on the XR and like and idiot, I didn't use my new rim savers to see how they worked.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #12170
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Motion Pro Rim Shields

They work A+.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=36693
Those appear to be the trick.
DON'T buy these blue ones. The plastic is soft and easily cut by tire irons. The white nylon version is much tougher.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rotectors.aspx
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #12171
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Mark - are you changing the tires yourself ? If so, got any tips for NOT scratching the rims ? I change the tires on the Husky and XR all the time but I don't really care about the rims on those bikes. I'd really like to avoid scratching the rims on the Tigger when time comes to change tires.

Cheers
I do all my own tire changes as well but I made it easy on myself and bought a tire change machine as soon as my shop was built.

The mount-demount bar has a plastic tip and I haven't scratched a rim yet, works very well and I've paid for the machine a few times over already.

You can see the plastic tips on the mount-demount bar in this photo, two tips on the mount and one tip on the demount side.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #12172
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Bross,
That's a nice set-up. Where did you get that tire changer from?
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #12173
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Bross,
That's a nice set-up. Where did you get that tire changer from?
It's a Cycle Hill tire changer. Made by No Mar. Good unit!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #12174
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I do all my own tire changes as well but I made it easy on myself and bought a tire change machine as soon as my shop was built.

The mount-demount bar has a plastic tip and I haven't scratched a rim yet, works very well and I've paid for the machine a few times over already.

You can see the plastic tips on the mount-demount bar in this photo, two tips on the mount and one tip on the demount side.

LOVE to get one of those but I just don't have the room at the moment. I even thought of the hitch-mounted version/adapter but I don't even have room for the machine.

One day though....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #12175
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
LOVE to get one of those but I just don't have the room at the moment. I even thought of the hitch-mounted version/adapter but I don't even have room for the machine.

One day though....
I have the exact same quandary. Where to store the machine.

If you come up with any interesting solution(s), I would love to hear them.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #12176
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I have the exact same quandary. Where to store the machine.

If you come up with any interesting solution(s), I would love to hear them.
Well, about the only thing I could come up with is storing it somehow hooked to a roof beam but given how heavy it is, I don't think that's going to work. I have resigned myself to not having something like this till I (eventually) move and get a bigger garage.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #12177
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
It's a Cycle Hill tire changer. Made by No Mar. Good unit!
You guys have obviously more knowledge on this than I have - is this unit bolted to the floor and hence you were lacking the space for it? I didn't see anything on their website about how it is mounted but love the comparison with the other companies - guess there is a reason for the price diff.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #12178
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Well, about the only thing I could come up with is storing it somehow hooked to a roof beam but given how heavy it is, I don't think that's going to work. I have resigned myself to not having something like this till I (eventually) move and get a bigger garage.
Don't give up so easily. There has to be a solution. I currently store a trailer (trailer in a bag, disassembled) on top of a couple cabinets in my garage. Can't give up the floor space.

Your ceiling hoist idea has some legs; with deep enough lag bolts it might be do-able, especially if the load is borne by two such bolts spread between two joists. I'd have to make sure it was lifted above something that wasn't a big ticket item, though. If it failed and dropped the tire machine on my wife's car I don't think I'd see my bed for a month or two.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #12179
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
You guys have obviously more knowledge on this than I have - is this unit bolted to the floor and hence you were lacking the space for it? I didn't see anything on their website about how it is mounted but love the comparison with the other companies - guess there is a reason for the price diff.
Two other options for mounting, other than floor mount.

One is a mount that you put a car/truck tire on to provide a stable base; the vehicle's weight makes it hold steady.

Second is a mount that goes into a car/truck 2" hitch receiver. Again, the vehicle mass is your base.

I'd have a unit with a hitch mount, but I gotta figure out where to put it when I'm not using it! Lest you say "in the garage", the garage is full. Two cars, seven cycles, a scooter, five bicycles, and the various yard crap that's needed. Anything that can go on a wall is already on a wall.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #12180
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Don't give up so easily. There has to be a solution. I currently store a trailer (trailer in a bag, disassembled) on top of a couple cabinets in my garage. Can't give up the floor space.

Your ceiling hoist idea has some legs; with deep enough lag bolts it might be do-able, especially if the load is borne by two such bolts spread between two joists. I'd have to make sure it was lifted above something that wasn't a big ticket item, though. If it failed and dropped the tire machine on my wife's car I don't think I'd see my bed for a month or two.
Well, ya see, that's the issue. My bikes would sit right under it and I just can't take that risk (I also don't have a lot of room up there either since I have stuff hanging everywhere to conserve what little floor space I have).

I am going to move soon (hopefully) so I can keep using regular old tire irons for now.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple