Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #12166
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Well for one thing I am nowhere near ojai, and the seat maker I was talking about is Rick Mayer in Anderson Ca. And My wife and I are AVERAGE and have rode over 4000 miles two up on the Tiger and it works just fine. And for your info the Tiger is not what I would consider a small bike!!!!!!!!! There is plently of room 2-up.

(QUOTE)I think Rocky Mayer will want to use your stock seat to base a new seat on. You BOTH should go to Ojai and have Rocky sit you both on the bike and figure something out. The Tiger is a small, compact bike. It could be it's not right for the two of you if you're both LARGE humans. (Quote)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #12167
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,455
[QUOTE=RodT;18434196]Well for one thing I am nowhere near ojai, and the seat maker I was talking about is Rick Mayer in Anderson Ca. And My wife and I are AVERAGE and have rode over 4000 miles two up on the Tiger and it works just fine. And for your info the Tiger is not what I would consider a small bike!!!!!!!!! There is plently of room 2-up.

I agree with you that it is NOT a small bike. Two up on this machine works just fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #12168
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
Well for one thing I am nowhere near ojai, and the seat maker I was talking about is Rick Mayer in Anderson Ca. And My wife and I are AVERAGE and have rode over 4000 miles two up on the Tiger and it works just fine. And for your info the Tiger is not what I would consider a small bike!!!!!!!!! There is plently of room 2-up.
Sorry, I mix up the two seat making Mayer brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I agree with you that it is NOT a small bike. Two up on this machine works just fine.
Plenty of room? Maybe for some. I remember hanging out in the Triumph booth for about an hour at the Bike show. Hundreds getting on/off bike.

To me, the really big guys (over 6' 4" and heavy ) looked a bit funny on the 800 Tigers. A few mounted up with the S.O. ... seemed just a bit cramped to me compared to a GS1200, Vstrom, or KTM 990.

But if you guys fit ... go for it! And hey Rod .. hope you find a seat that works for you ... since the bike already fits so well two up!

I fit fine on the XC ... 5'7". My S.O. ? 4' 11", 95 lbs.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #12169
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanger View Post
There we go! And just for giggles I talked my wife into taking the MSF course last week and we took our first ride together. She's riding my DRZ for a while. She's telling me she wants a new street triple though.....
Spouse Unit rides a Speed Four. She sat the 800XC, noted that she can reach the ground on it and the Roadie is a little shorter.

Funny, I haven't seen my checkbook since. I think it ran away...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #12170
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Piece of cake...5 minutes.

I used the top half of a handlebar ball mount, but I think the diamond mount might work as well. Simply remove the screen, remove the front bracket and drill a couple holes in it for a pair of stainless bolts.

I think I first read about it over at the UK site - here's a link showing it in more detail.
I really like this arrangement. If this has been covered, I apologize, but which arm did you use? The medium (3" socket to socket) or the long (5"). The picture in the link looks like the 3" but I want to make sure before ordering. Thanks!

Never mind, I see now that it's the 3" arm. For some reason, the text wasn't loading the first time I opened the link.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #12171
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
I really like this arrangement. If this has been covered, I apologize, but which arm did you use? The medium (3" socket to socket) or the long (5"). The picture in the link looks like the 3" but I want to make sure before ordering. Thanks!

Never mind, I see now that it's the 3" arm. For some reason, the text wasn't loading the first time I opened the link.
I have a similar setup with a Montana and with the stock screen, the 3" arm isn't long enough. He has the tall OEM shield mounted and it provides more clearance.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #12172
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Bet you get some "Nice BMW" comments now, makes it look like a boxer. Nice work and very practical.
OK, that just makes me want to go find some OEM engine guards and hit up a junkyard for some old airhead jugs....
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #12173
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
Actually, either a 3" or 5.25" will work - at least with the stock windscreen. I've got several of them and just grabbed the one I liked best - the 3" was pictured earlier.

Here it is with this 5.25" unit. Still behind the screen, and some may like the display higher.

The longer arm also might work well with the portrait screen GPS's - here's a couple pics with it attached to my Garmin 76CS cradle. Don't have the GPS handy, so I can't tell for sure...but at my height (6'0") and the seat in the low seating position, it looks like the cluster would still be relatively unobstructed with one of these attached.

syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #12174
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
It looks like the difference that allows your setup to work with the shorter arm is the mounting plate for the Nuvi is a lot deeper than the one for the Montana. The Montana works as a nav unit in landscape mode but the mount is extremely compact and doesn't fit between the clocks and the screen when using the shorter arm.

I'll get some pics up this afternoon when I get home.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #12175
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Installed some double take mirrors purchased from adventure spec uk. Quite impressed and felt much better filtering through traffic.

Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #12176
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post
Installed some double take mirrors purchased from adventure spec uk. Quite impressed and felt much better filtering through traffic.

What are the tubes coming over the bars for ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #12177
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
OK, that just makes me want to go find some OEM engine guards and hit up a junkyard for some old airhead jugs....
Nah, just buy a couple knockoff roundels for the tank.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #12178
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
What are the tubes coming over the bars for ?
Nothing exciting, Its just a little knog cable lock, use it for locking my tankbag to the bike or helmet if box is full
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #12179
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel F View Post

You might want to change the wing nuts for locking types. Those are too easy to nick.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #12180
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
syspig and helotaxi, thanks for the clarification. I'll be attempting to mount an old Magellan Roadmate because I just happen to have one handy. May as well try it out before spending big money on a Montana or Zumo. My hope is to get the GPS as close to the clocks as possible so I'll start with the 3" arm.

Looking at the 5" arm, I may totally rethink things if the 3" arm doesn't work. I'm not sure I want the GPS mounted that high.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote