Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #12271
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Thanks bross, that answered my question, I was thinking GPS off the one next to the ignition and phone charger off the one under the seat the other way round.
Another option that some find more flexible for low draw devices - powered tank bag.

Get one of these and install to your bag:

Get one of these to hook to your bag from the Powerlet by the key. Also - this doubles as a charging pigtail for a Battery Tender.

From there...split things off however you want inside the bag. Hook to a Y-connector for 2 leads, run into a small fuse block for multiple individually fused leads, whatever suits yer fancy. And...the whole enchilada can move between any two bikes that the bag fits on.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #12272
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
aftermarket air filter

Is there a general consensus which aftermarket air filter is best suited to the Tiger 800? I have had good results with Keihin air filters before on previous bikes, but wonder if there is an alternative. I have a Roadie, so no fancy snorkels and cloth pre-filters required.

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #12273
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Another option that some find more flexible for low draw devices - powered tank bag.

Get one of these to hook to your bag from the Powerlet by the key. Also - this doubles as a charging pigtail for a Battery Tender.

From there...split things off however you want inside the bag. Hook to a Y-connector for 2 leads, run into a small fuse block for multiple individually fused leads, whatever suits yer fancy. And...the whole enchilada can move between any two bikes that the bag fits on.
Nice one, That's the perfect set up

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #12274
AdventureRiderxxx
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Cool brain bucket, but European market only.
you can buy it online: roof boxer v8
AdventureRiderxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #12275
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRiderxxx View Post
you can buy it online: roof boxer v8
Found them on eBay as well. The next issue is how do you convince Barney Fife that it's US DOT approved? E22 is the only cert that it carries since it is only sold in the Euro market. A fake DOT sticker is the only option?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #12276
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Found them on eBay as well. The next issue is how do you convince Barney Fife that it's US DOT approved? E22 is the only cert that it carries since it is only sold in the Euro market. A fake DOT sticker is the only option?
Had a couple 'peformance awards' while wearing the Boxer and none of the cops paid any attention whatsoever to the helmet.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #12277
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
I had a squid moment yesterday. I had a chopper pull up next to me at a red light. The closer I looked, the more I noticed that this chopper was made for hauling ass. It had twin carbs & chain drive. The guy smiled at me with his half helmet & revved his motor a bit. I know this monster should/could leave me sitting at the light (on take off). However, I left him in my dust. He was way out front of the cars behind us, but I was 5 car lengths in front of him within 400yards. To be honest, I don't think he can ride worth a shit, but I was laughing my ass off. I need to start using my old gopro now that all the "fair weather bikers" are out riding.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #12278
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Had a couple 'peformance awards' while wearing the Boxer and none of the cops paid any attention whatsoever to the helmet.
Read the review...what's your take on the fit? Not being able to try one on and the hassle of returning it across the pond for an exchange still leaves me a bit hesitant.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #12279
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Sneak peak at my latest mods... hope to finish soon for a full update. Basically trying to solve my GPS mouning issues and installed my Happy Trails Engine guards.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #12280
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
Got my new Saddlemen Adventure seat this week. Not bad so far. It is flatter, a little wider and very firm. It is a bit strange with the "suede" rider perch and family jewel protection channel. Passenger seat is better, more padding basically. Passenger seat has metal rings ( two on each side) for bungees. Saddlemen rep told me they are working on soft luggage to attach to these points. 200 miles so far. Sorry for no pics.
Anymore thoughts on this seat? I couldn't find pricing on the seat. Apparently, you have to go through Parts Unlimited??
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #12281
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Read the review...what's your take on the fit? Not being able to try one on and the hassle of returning it across the pond for an exchange still leaves me a bit hesitant.
I had no real issues with fit - the chin bar is a little close to my chin but I rarely wear it that way anyway so it's not an issue with me.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #12282
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
considering the less than great review, why the interest especially considering the overseas issue?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #12283
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
What's the advantage of switched vs unswithced? I might use the unused heated grips switched wire for my GPS. I need another switched wire for the radar detector.
No reason not to wire them together, actually.

Quote:
Anyone has experience with this http://www.aerostich.com/prevent-or-...use-block.html ? Wouldn't be much different than the 3CS unswitched at 1/3 the cost and an extra fuse.
How much is your time worth? If you're good at this sort of thing and like doing it, knock yourself out. Quite a lot of people don't like fiddling with it, or would rather buy something that comes with directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post

Or one of the Bag City tankbags that mounts to the ring around the gas cap and is powered through the mounting ring ($$$ though).
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #12284
Jwaki84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rented one for a week, I think I'm in love...
Jwaki84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #12285
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
considering the less than great review, why the interest especially considering the overseas issue?
It's something different mostly. I didn't consider the review all that bad and most of the negatives that I saw regarded fit, which is different for everyone. I prefer a fairly minimalist helmet and that one certainly fills the bill.