Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #12286
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I had a squid moment yesterday. I had a chopper pull up next to me at a red light. The closer I looked, the more I noticed that this chopper was made for hauling ass. It had twin carbs & chain drive. The guy smiled at me with his half helmet & revved his motor a bit. I know this monster should/could leave me sitting at the light (on take off). However, I left him in my dust. He was way out front of the cars behind us, but I was 5 car lengths in front of him within 400yards. To be honest, I don't think he can ride worth a shit, but I was laughing my ass off. I need to start using my old gopro now that all the "fair weather bikers" are out riding.
I've done the same recently, had a cheeky young learner driver pull up beside me. I hadn't had the Tiger long so I gave it a fare squirt off the mark (had been used to doing this on my YZF1000) to my surprise and his as well in his hotted up buzz box thenTiger lept into action pulling the front wheel into the air for first and second gear and left the little shit sitting there!
Haha

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #12287
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaki84 View Post
Rented one for a week, I think I'm in love...
Once the Tiger bites you that's it, you'll have to have one!

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #12288
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Is there a general consensus which aftermarket air filter is best suited to the Tiger 800? I have had good results with Keihin air filters before on previous bikes, but wonder if there is an alternative. I have a Roadie, so no fancy snorkels and cloth pre-filters required.

Thanks,
Firstly I don't think you mean Keihin. Perhaps K&N??

So, at the moment your choice is, AFAIK, between K&N and DNA. I have the DNA and it's too early to tell how long it's going to last or how it's working but it's in there and nothing has broken yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #12289
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaki84 View Post
Rented one for a week, I think I'm in love...
So the next job is to unstitch that BMW roundel from your jacket sleeve and replace it with either "TRIUMPH" or ADV embroidery.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #12290
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Firstly I don't think you mean Keihin. Perhaps K&N??

So, at the moment your choice is, AFAIK, between K&N and DNA. I have the DNA and it's too early to tell how long it's going to last or how it's working but it's in there and nothing has broken yet.

You're right of course, I have used the K&N filters. Thanks for the options, I'll look in to it some more. I thought there were some that maybe had a smaller surface area then stock. Can't remember which one it was though.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #12291
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
You're right of course, I have used the K&N filters. Thanks for the options, I'll look in to it some more. I thought there were some that maybe had a smaller surface area then stock. Can't remember which one it was though.
Why would you want a smaller surface area?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #12292
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Why would you want a smaller surface area?
You wouldn't but he's right. The K&N def has a smaller surface area than both stock and DNA filters

shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #12293
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
What's the actual filter surface area? IOW if you were to remove the filter element from the shell and flatten it out, which is bigger? It looks like the pleats in the K&N are closer spaced than the other one. If neither is actually restricting airflow into the intake and the filter area is the same, any difference is negligible.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #12294
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Happy Trails engine guards (replaced the stockers), Touratech GPS mount and adjustable windscreen mount, Touratech fender raiser, Touratech side stand foot, RamMount Aqua box with home made mount to Touratech GPS mount.

fbj913 screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 08:05 PM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #12295
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
... I left him in my dust.
Leaving choppers in the dust... you almost seemed surprised. I think the ratio og "go" to "no" in the chopper space is about 1:500... Not saying some cruisers/streetfighters arent fast (rocket 3, diavel, new HD with their "level 3" options, customs) but most of the ape hanger crowd, as opposed to cruiser riders, are posers.

Just my personal opinion from behind a computer screen.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #12296
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Happy Trails engine guards (replaced the stockers), Touratech GPS mount and adjustable windscreen mount, Touratech fender raiser, Touratech side stand foot, RamMount Aqua box with home made mount to Touratech GPS mount.
I love watchin ppl make their Tigers into their own customised ride. It's one of the great thinga about ADV bikes, they have serious electrics and are a great "platform" to work on, and people put cool stuff on them routinely.

For the tradeoffs you make in glam and weight, having the robust platform and ability to Just Go really makes it work.

Nice Job fbj!

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #12297
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

How do you like the TT windscreen adjuster/gps mount combo?
I have been waiting to ask some questions.
It looks like the GPS mount bar can be raised or lowered (2 position, nice). Do you find the mount to be a little higher than it needs to be?
How stable is it? Does it vibrate at all making the print on the screen 'blurry' at all?
How does the screen asjuster work? Does it tilt forward past stock? How 'bout tilting rearward?
Is there any adjustment to raise the screen higher than stock or is it just a 'tilt' thing?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #12298
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
What is your windshield set up? It looks very functional.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #12299
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I love watchin ppl make their Tigers into their own customised ride. It's one of the great thinga about ADV bikes, they have serious electrics and are a great "platform" to work on, and people put cool stuff on them routinely.

For the tradeoffs you make in glam and weight, having the robust platform and ability to Just Go really makes it work.

Nice Job fbj!

Chris
Thanks! Miss fbj913 has had about enough of the garage time however . Me on the other hand. I am addicted! I love customizing my bikes!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #12300
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
No reason not to wire them together, actually.

How much is your time worth? If you're good at this sort of thing and like doing it, knock yourself out. Quite a lot of people don't like fiddling with it, or would rather buy something that comes with directions.

Or one of the Bag City tankbags that mounts to the ring around the gas cap and is powered through the mounting ring ($$$ though).
You are completely correct. I think I will use one switched wire for the heated grips for the GPS and radar detector. The current draw on either one of those is very low.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote