Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #12316
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Well, firstly you need to read my post properly. I put in a DNA filter.

The reasoning is that the air filter is buried under the tank and takes an hour to get at. So I put a low maintenance filter in there and put the pre-filter to take out the worst of the dirt. I never said, wrote or quoted that it was for performance. For me it's purely for ease of maintenance.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #12317
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Wouldn't the exhaust efficiency need to be factored in somehow?
In a perfect world you could gain a little extra effective flow from head velocity and a little precompression, but that also assumes perfect exhaust scavenge. For the filter to become the limiting factor, you're talking 20% increase in efficiency from exhaust tuning. That would be pretty impressive.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #12318
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
In a perfect world you could gain a little extra effective flow from head velocity and a little precompression, but that also assumes perfect exhaust scavenge. For the filter to become the limiting factor, you're talking 20% increase in efficiency from exhaust tuning. That would be pretty impressive.
Cut out the CAT and put in on the dyno
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #12319
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Cut out the CAT and put in on the dyno
That will increase the exhaust flow but not necessarily increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine beyond what the engine could otherwise pump.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #12320
Jwaki84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
So the next job is to unstitch that BMW roundel from your jacket sleeve and replace it with either "TRIUMPH" or ADV embroidery.
Haha, I have BMW gear for my off road riding, triumph jacket for my street riding, and currently don't own either! I think I'll stick to generic brands from now on. Anyone have experience with Klim?
Jwaki84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #12321
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Well, firstly you need to read my post properly. I put in a DNA filter.

The reasoning is that the air filter is buried under the tank and takes an hour to get at. So I put a low maintenance filter in there and put the pre-filter to take out the worst of the dirt. I never said, wrote or quoted that it was for performance. For me it's purely for ease of maintenance.
Oh boy, did I start a discussion or what? Anyway, nobody seems to dislike the DNA, although some people seem to hate the K&N. Anybody have any experience with BMC?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #12322
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaki84 View Post
Haha, I have BMW gear for my off road riding, triumph jacket for my street riding, and currently don't own either! I think I'll stick to generic brands from now on. Anyone have experience with Klim?
A friend of mine has a Klim jacket and pants. So far he really likes them, but then he should for CAN$2,000. He hasn't had them very long and I don't think he wore them in a rain storm yet.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #12323
NaDSoB
Another asshole on a KLR

Oddometer: 364
KLIM gear

Quote:

I've got a Klim f4 helmet and a Klim Traverse jacket & pants. Love 'em! Great fit, great attention to detail, and they look good, too. My only issue with the Traverse suit is that it doesn't come with armor, you'll need to buy and install it. The jacket and pants have "pockets" for armor built in, but the armor isn't included.

Meat Loaf from "A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste", Lyrics by Jim Steinman
NaDSoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #12324
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Not sure if they have or not. I was able to get a prototype from them. No real fitment issues. They are a little difficult to install. You need two people. But they are very stout!!!
Interesting. I guess you and AV_Mech are the only two with prototypes out there. I don't have my tiger yet, but that day is getting closer. Trying to decide on options as I learn here.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #12325
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
I know it seems to be the current "in thing" but at 800 for the jacket and 600 for the pants? That's Rukka territory. And for something that might get ripped to shreds on the massive brambles we get over here. Not for me. YMMV.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #12326
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,691
Quote:
I know it seems to be the current "in thing" but at 800 for the jacket and 600 for the pants? That's Rukka territory. And for something that might get ripped to shreds on the massive brambles we get over here. Not for me. YMMV.
+1

I have a couple bits of Klim gear and it's good gear but that is just ridiculous prices for stuff that, well, ain't that ground-breaking (despite what the fanbois will say).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #12327
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
That will increase the exhaust flow but not necessarily increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine beyond what the engine could otherwise pump.
Some of the best tuners have been able achieve volumetric efficiencies greater that 1 in a race bike, its not not easy to achieve and those motors wouldn't last very long in a street bike.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #12328
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Has anyone seen this? I can't read it but I'm sure some of you can. I have been looking at the pictures for the last several weeks.

http://www.realizatuaventura.com/201...a/#prettyPhoto
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #12329
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
I have a Klim Latitude jacket - I love it. I wear it with some rukka pants. I find the quality to be comparable. The Klim is much more stout/stiff than the rukka but very comfortable, and I have ridden it in some serious rain with no problems whatsoever.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #12330
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Klim is great gear, but hardly generic it has more branding than BMW and Triumph combined - there is no angle someone can view you from and not see at least two name logos.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote