Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #12346
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
What about the Darien Jacket and pants by Aerostich? Not flashy enough? Has it fallen out of favour?
My preferred setup these days.

I was lucky enough to be given a good, used Darien jacket by a friend who was not wearing it any more. When this goes TU, I'll get another for sure.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #12347
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My preferred setup these days.

I was lucky enough to be given a good, used Darien jacket by a friend who was not wearing it any more. When this goes TU, I'll get another for sure.
When I bought them, I thought they were expensive, but read great reviews about them and the company after sales service and repairs. I see now that they are not expensive compared to some of the Klim line. Although I cannot compare features as I haven't ever had a close look at the klim. But they keep me warm and dry and took forever to break in, so I am sure they will last for a long time.
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #12348
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Well, it has started. Bought my first farkle for a bike I don't even own yet. Rox risers.

Is anybody using the Kaoko throttle lock? I found some mention of it many many pages back but nothing else since then.

Next up is Jesse bags...
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #12349
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,526
I have a Kaoko throttle lock. It is very over priced, but it looks factory with the stock hand guards.

Rob Dirt screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 05:35 PM
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #12350
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Which handguards are you using? Stock or??
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #12351
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Well, it has started. Bought my first farkle for a bike I don't even own yet. Rox risers.

Is anybody using the Kaoko throttle lock? I found some mention of it many many pages back but nothing else since then.

Next up is Jesse bags...
That all? I have tires, headlight protector, gel seat, fog lamps, bags, boots, suit, um.. I think that's it. Picking up the bike on Friday.

Just remembered; Leo Vince slipon, cable so I can do my own maps (dealer charges labor), and a pre-filter. K THAT'S it.

UtahFox screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 03:08 PM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #12352
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
Some of the best tuners have been able achieve volumetric efficiencies greater that 1 in a race bike, its not not easy to achieve and those motors wouldn't last very long in a street bike.
Yep. And you'd have to get to 1.2 before the K&N was the limiting factor. The air filter isn't going to be the limiting factor with this engine.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #12353
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Klim are riding a wave right now. They've got Flavor of The Month status among KTM and a few Dakar Heros and many here on ADV. (the wealthy ones) Fact is Klim are relative Noobs to MC gear and come from the Ski/Snowboard world. It's a US based company, but all their stuff is made in China, just like 95% of ALL motorcycle gear.

They DO have some good designs and the quality of some things I've seen in person is good ... but not fantastic. No where near Rukka quality. But even a Rukka will be destroyed in a crash. Seen it happen ... in person!

Some BMW/KTM Adventure "experts" here on ADV don't have a dirt riding back ground. Anyone that's been around a while will know that lots of other companies, both here and in Europe, have made great riding gear for decades.

Most cater more to Moto Cross (where the money is) ... and the Adventure segment is relatively new. But lots of it crosses over. Some favorites I've used over the years:
Fox, JT, Thor, MSR, No Fear, Moose, Troy Lee Designs .... and about a dozen more ... some good, some not. Many other US brands make versatile gear, like First Gear, Tourmaster, Joe Rocket. All have ups and down, but most have really improved in the last ten years. Inexpensive and functional.

Most make light enduro jackets, all make great hot weather riding pants, jersey's and lots more. Most sell colors that are too flashy for old fart ADV guys ... who would rather spend $2000 on a Rukka, BMW, KLIM or other over priced, Euro gear. Klim are US based, but are perceived as a Euro brand as they've managed to attach their brand to KTM and BMW. Very smart marketing. They are seen now as a "prestige" brand. But is the gear really any better than ... average?

Some guys raving about Klim have not owned lots of the other brands, not ridden dirt bikes long. Lots of Noobs. Some Klim items are better than average, but some are simply overpriced, typical Chinese made fare. I'd advise checking Klim ... and a few others ... out IN PERSON. Handle it, check the stitching, seams, check the fit.
Mortgage and three teens to put through college or university excludes KLIM gear for me. I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic 7 jacket that I paid $139 that leaked a little in a torrential downpour. I put nikwax on it and hope for the best. Being tall and thin I will be looking at First Gear as they have a "Tall" option that will hopefully fit me better than the usual fare. I never even heard of Rukka, but sounds like it is out of my league. Klim has a snowmobile background and there is lots of that where I live. Those guys love the stuff.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #12354
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
That all? I have tires, headlight protector, gel seat, fog lamps, bags, boots, suit, um.. I think that's it. Picking up the bike on Friday.

Just remembered; Leo Vince slipon, cable so I can do my own maps (dealer charges labor), and a pre-filter. K THAT'S it.
Oh, it will be far from all. Trust me. It is just where I started.

Where did you get the Leo from? I am thinking of going that route as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #12355
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Oh, it will be far from all. Trust me. It is just where I started.

Where did you get the Leo from? I am thinking of going that route as well.
Looks like we're on parallel tracks. What bike did you get? I traded my 2010 Scrambler for a white 2012 XC.

I ordered it from Pipe City, but the manufacturer is backordered. They are having LV drop ship to me as soon as they have enough. I get the impression I'll have it within a month.

UtahFox screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 03:47 PM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #12356
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Perhaps not that ground breaking or uniquely good, since I've not tried heaps of others.
The ground breaking part is that there is finally a ProShell suit on the market that has some useful venting. Of course, those vents are holes waiting to be ripped wide open
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #12357
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Looks like we're on parallel tracks. What bike did you get? I traded my 2010 Scrambler for a white 2012 XC.

I ordered it from Pipe City, but the manufacturer is backordered. They are having LV drop ship to me as soon as they have enough. I get the impression I'll have it within a month.

I think I am going to pick up an orange XC. Unless the '13 models come out soon. The dealer has one that I rode a few weeks ago. Just have to find the time to get back and do the deal. I am going to add it to the fleet. Currently have a naked 03 SV1000, a 93 stormtrooper white vfr 750, and a 04 ZRX 1200 with WAAAY too much money invested in it. Full ohlins, BST wheels, 1224 engine, etc. A college bud has bought a new GS800 and we are planning a trip to Yellowstone in late August. I was going to ride the viffer but he has talked me into getting something for the dirt roads out there. The bimmer's seat just doesn't agree with my butt but the triumph's does. After sitting on both and riding the XC, I made my decision.

Now, I just have to get the thing in the garage and start making it my own.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #12358
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Which handguards are you using? Stock or??
I have the Kaoko cruise control on my XC with Barkbuster handguards. I had to do something a little different to make it all work but it wasn't a big deal and can't really remember what it was. Maybe I used the non-XC spacer or the stock bar end or something.

The Kaoko is my first time with a cruise control and I use it some, but really not as much as I thought I would. On the other hand, I ride 99% of the time with a Crampbuster or whatever they are called on the throttle anyway so only on really long boring stuff do I ever use the Kaoko. Works nice when I do though.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #12359
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I am pre-farkled too. Kaoko, LV, madstad, rox, etc etc. Spend years farkling the Bonneville but thought I'd get everything, or everything i can anticipate, up front, have some plans this summer. Bike is in, I pick it up Saturday. I will go and visit it tomorrow, haven't seen it yet and will be in the same town (dealership 60 miles away). I feel a bit like an expectant father. I hope it likes me.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #12360
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Birds of a feather it seems....

Just ordered a Kreiga fork protector. It is going to snowball on me. I can just feel it.

I hope to pick mine up in a few weeks. My debit card should be smoking by then....