Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #12376
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
If you have the two bars in the filler, put the nozzle in the filler and point the nozzle at your footpeg the fuel goes in without any splash or hindrance. It's not a problem with the bike.
Pretty much what I do. Once you figure it out, you can, in my experience, fuel as fast as the pump will allow.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #12377
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Yeah! Whilst I haven't got the time nor inclination to do it but I wonder if the threat of legal action would shift them? VW got fined 80million recently for not allowing Germans to buy their cars in Italy where they were cheaper.
I think it would be worth setting an example in the business. These companies aren't about riders - that's where they came from a long time ago. Today it's about milking as much out of riders as possible.

Especially in Europe where there is at least some attempt at consumer protection you at least have a chance. A consumer protection organization should be able to tell you more.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #12378
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,356
As said before no you can't, it's only displayed for a few seconds when you turn the key on. You will get used to it. Its not really a big deal.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #12379
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
As said before no you can't, it's only displayed for a few seconds when you turn the key on. You will get used to it. Its not really a big deal.
True, but as I said above mine did display once upon a time. Somehow, it was up for around 1,000 miles, then it disappeared again. I don't know how I got it there, and I don't know how I lost it, but it was there.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #12380
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Pretty much what I do. Once you figure it out, you can, in my experience, fuel as fast as the pump will allow.
I will have to try that. I am down to the last 8 miles. I was afraid of filling the bike after gas splashed into my eye and all over the tank bag harness. If it doesn't work, i don't see how removing it will cause a problem .
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #12381
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
I will have to try that. I am down to the last 8 miles. I was afraid of filling the bike after gas splashed into my eye and all over the tank bag harness. If it doesn't work, i don't see how removing it will cause a problem .
I have to point out that your stupid Californian laws means that you have a different filler to the rest of us in the real world. Your plastic insert will mean that my filling method will not work. As I wrote in my original reply on the subject.....

Quote:
If you have the two bars in the filler, put the nozzle in the filler and point the nozzle at your footpeg the fuel goes in without any splash or hindrance. It's not a problem with the bike.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #12382
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Ok, noob question but this will be my first bike with tubes so....

In the midst of buying farkles and goodies for a bike I don't own yet......

what do you guys recommend for tools for tire repairs or changing tires on a XC, especially when on the road? And where are you storing them? I plan on buying some Jesse bags so I should have some room but am always willing to learn new tricks.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #12383
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
I have to point out that your stupid Californian laws means that you have a different filler to the rest of us in the real world. Your plastic insert will mean that my filling method will not work. As I wrote in my original reply on the subject.....
I have a Cali bike and it doesn't have the plastic do-dad, maybe my dealer took one look at it and tossed it in the bin
And I use the same filling method as you with excellent results.

Jerry
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #12384
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post

what do you guys recommend for tools for tire repairs or changing tires on a XC, especially when on the road? And where are you storing them? I plan on buying some Jesse bags so I should have some room but am always willing to learn new tricks.
I'm kind of in the same boat and would love to hear other riders field repair setup. So far I've purchased a Slime air compressor, which is very compact, cheap, and the the people that have them swear by their reliability. I also bought a tube repair kit, which isn't much different from the ones I buy for my mountain bike, everything it in is just a tad bigger. Do you bring a spare tube as well?

I'm thinking that a center stand will be a big help, but according to my dealer I'm not getting one until July I've seen a video from a GS guy who shows how to break the bead on a tire using the side stand, but I'd love to know other methods & what other tools fellow XC riders have going. My Motion-Pro irons are pretty long & IDK if I want to be dragging them along or not.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #12385
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post

First, learn how to change a tube. Then, check here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351936
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #12386
cug
--

Quote:
I'm not certain what the California law has to do with it. California law only requires the nozzles to have the rubber suction thingy, but that's it. The insert is to protect the absolutely stupidly placed fuel pump from the nozzle. The newer bikes don't seem to have the metal bars over the plastic pump anymore.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #12387
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm not certain what the California law has to do with it. California law only requires the nozzles to have the rubber suction thingy, but that's it.
You're forgetting the evap cannister and probably secondary air injection as well and........

As the first pictures of this device were on Cali bikes I assumed.........which I know is dangerous but hey....
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #12388
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
To change a tube, you need to add a 21" tube (can be used in the rear). A 17mm Allen wrench for the front. A bead braker is nice, & a compact air pump. I bought a slime air compressor. It worked great for letting air out of my tire. I'm serious. The thing did not work one time. It makes noise, but does not pump air. I use a foot pump now. Everything fits under the passenger seat.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #12389
cug
--

Quote:
You're forgetting the evap cannister and probably secondary air injection as well and........
Sorry, I was solely facing on the fuel filler issue, not all the other CA crap. I'm (unfortunately) very aware of all this ...

But I don't think that this is a CA thing. If I remember correctly (and I might not), the earlier Tigers had two metal rods just above the fuel pump to protect it from the filler nozzle.

My bike doesn't have these two metal rods, but it does have that weird thing in the filler hole. It looks clipped it, but it looks fairly solidly clipped in. I basically got used to filling blindly for roughly the amount I think is needed minus one gallon, then I take a look, then I carefully fill up the rest with slower flow.

It's kind of a pain, but it works in a way that I get a very consistent fuel fill level, which I was never really able to with my GS - which was easier to fill in general though.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #12390
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
To change a tube, you need to add a 21" tube (can be used in the rear). A 17mm Allen wrench for the front. A bead braker is nice, & a compact air pump. I bought a slime air compressor. It worked great for letting air out of my tire. I'm serious. The thing did not work one time. It makes noise, but does not pump air. I use a foot pump now. Everything fits under the passenger seat.
Also add a proper valve stem tool ... the ones built into valve caps are junk. You cannot break the bead without removing valve core. Also handy is a valve stem fishing tool for install. But most important for a rear flat is proper bead breaker. (front is relatively easy to break bead)

Some may remember a Tiger riding couple from (I think) New Mexico or CO?? Maybe six months back she commented just how TOUGH it was to break the bead on rear tire. She and her husband were both very experienced dual sport riders and struggled fixing a flat as bead would NOT BREAK.

A tubeless conversion might be worth it for the rear tire only. Woody's Wheel Works can do the conversion to tubeless. Seems like the way to go, IMO.

On breaking beads ... some tires are tougher than others and some bead breakers don't work. Try at home before exploring the Sonora Desert in July!

I've used many elec. pumps and own the latest Slime pump. Most are slow and get really hot ... but usually work. But mine tend to get damaged in transit ... riding off road. The new Slime one comes in a case. (better)

When no air goes in your tube, it generally means one of two things: pump hose valve fitting is damaged or valve stem on your tube is damaged. I've been there ... sometimes the air just will not go in. PITA.

I've gone back to reliable bicycle pumps. Hard work ... but they most always work. I pump up to just 15-20 PSI and ride. (Fill up at first opportunity with compressor) I like CO-2's too. Space wise the bike pump works for me. YMMV.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote