Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #12376
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Doesn't help for me. I started refusing to buy from Touratech as they are generally 50 to 80% more expensive than the same stuff in the German Touratech web store - where it is already expensive.
Same here in the UK. And, to make it worse, under EU law I'm supposed to be able to buy stuff anywhere in Europe but Touratrash refuse to sell to me off their German website.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #12377
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
So you think fork socks are a good idea? How about the shock?
I've got both.
The fork sock from Touratrash because it was the only one I could find that didn't involve taking each fork leg apart. It's basically a square of neoprene with some velcro stitched on and wraps around the legs held on the top with a cable tie. Is it a good idea? I think so because it/they will protect the chrome legs from grit and stones hitting the working part of the legs and, thus, gives extra protection to the seals.
The sock sock I went with the R&G which is basically the same thing.
Both are quite easy to fit although the fitting in the clearance around the shock is a bit of a squeeze.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #12378
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFXC View Post
I made my own fender risers from some extra s/s parts I had laying around. Quite easy actually and If I remember right I got something like 10 mm more rise than the TT ones.
Which means that you're more likely to break the mudguard when the forks fully compress. I refer you to this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559 where it has happened. Sorry but you'll have to do the searching through.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #12379
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563
Well after a lot of looking and soul searching looky what I pick up today.

I had narrowed my choice down to the 1050 and the 800. I guess it's obvious which one I chose.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #12380
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post

I had narrowed my choice down to the 1050 and the 800. I guess it's obvious which one I chose.
Congrats! I like that color, if they had that on the XC it's what I would have gotten.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #12381
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Same here in the UK. And, to make it worse, under EU law I'm supposed to be able to buy stuff anywhere in Europe but Touratrash refuse to sell to me off their German website.
You could go through the trouble of notifying consumer protection agencies, but you could also just refuse to buy from these a**** and make your opinion well known.

I have made my opinion about them very clear in an email to TT (US and DE) and also I'm fairly verbal why I'm not buying their stuff. It is generally average quality on the better end of "average", but even the German prices are super expensive for what you get.

cug screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 07:45 AM Reason: Typos
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #12382
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I'd like to do this, but $40 bucks for a 2 small brackets & some crappy hardware is too much for me. Has anyone rigged up their own?

Oh, and the anti-shock handlebar risers from Rox, anyone have a part number for me please?
These are the ones I have, I bought them somewhere on Amazon for about $125.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?parts_id=9686

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #12383
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 61
Ride

Quote:

Best color there is!

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #12384
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

Same color as mine but except my frame is silver. I do like the black frame. Is that a 2012 color option?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #12385
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
You could go through the trouble of notifying consumer protection agencies, but you could also just refuse to buy from these a**** and make your opinion well known.

I have made my opinion about them very clear in an email to TT (US and DE) and also I'm fairly verbal why I'm not buying their stuff. It is generally average quality on the better end of "average", but even the German prices are super expensive for what you get.
I think more and more riders are coming around to what you've figured out. I've always thought BMW riders and Tourtech were sort of joined at the hip. I recognized their short comings back in the 90's when they first came on my radar. But I figured if they were the only ones making trinkets to fit BMW, then what the hey ... let the Beemer guys get ripped, they can afford it. I always saw some Tourtech products more as "Jewelry". But now we see them entering into more general purpose items for multiple brands. And when you start comparing other companies products that do the same thing ... and compare prices ... then Tourtech become suspect. The name and link to BMW naturally means you will pay more. Part of that pride of ownership club pass.

But don't tell Simon & Lisa Thomas ... they are sponsored by Tourtech DE.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161983

They've been on the road since 2006 on BMW's. Simon has had bad luck, several nasty crashes in the last couple years. Tourtech basically rebuilt his bike ... twice ... on their dime. So Kudos to them for that! But would they help you or I? No ... only commercial superstars get help.

But then Tourtech get lots of free advertising on the Thomas's ADV Ride Report, which has been active since 2006!!! I call them "business travelers". (should they be in Vendors forum? )

As far as Tourtech USA goes ... don't forget they have to pay Helge Pederson's salary! He runs Tourtech USA, last I checked.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #12386
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:

Congrats! (you lucky Dog!) I love that color ... don't care what anyone says. I hope someday they'll do it on a XC model. Sounds like you'll need to give Baldy a call for a name change? New Avatar? Isn't that a Vstrom motor? How about : Papa Tiger? Tiger Dad? Good luck ... ride safe!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #12387
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
As far as Tourtech USA goes ... don't forget they have to pay Helge Pederson's salary! He runs Tourtech USA, last I checked.
So what? Touratech USA prices are sometimes German prices (before tax) + 80%. That's complete insanity. Just compare for example their tankbags for the Tiger.

I will never ever buy from them again. Even though some of the products are really good. That price policy is such a blatant rip-off, no freaking way I am supporting this.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #12388
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,487
Quote:
I will never ever buy from them again. Even though some of the products are really good.
Anyone else make a decent sidestand switch guard, folding shift lever, or wire headlight guard?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #12389
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,292
Any help appreciated - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783534
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #12390
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
So what? Touratech USA prices are sometimes German prices (before tax) + 80%. That's complete insanity. Just compare for example their tankbags for the Tiger.

I will never ever buy from them again. Even though some of the products are really good. That price policy is such a blatant rip-off, no freaking way I am supporting this.
Uh ... yea, that was my point. As I said, most paying attention recognized this out right rip off back in the 90's. Old news. But like you say ... they do make some NICE STUFF ... and if you just can't live without it ... then what else can you do? Funny ... Tourtech don't make anything for my DR650 or previous KLR's.

The hope is that the Triumph's Tigers will continue selling well and more and more aftermarket companies will get on board with support where it's needed. Also, I would expect Triumph to broaden its already fairly comprehensive catalog for the 800 class.