Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #12391
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
What do you guys recommend for tools for tire repairs or changing tires on a XC,
Based on experiences from some friends, I've started carrying a bottle of slime, with my other tools. If I get a flat in the rear, I'm trying that before I try to wrestle that Heidenau off.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #12392
eram310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Sorry, I was solely facing on the fuel filler issue, not all the other CA crap. I'm (unfortunately) very aware of all this ...

But I don't think that this is a CA thing. If I remember correctly (and I might not), the earlier Tigers had two metal rods just above the fuel pump to protect it from the filler nozzle.

My bike doesn't have these two metal rods, but it does have that weird thing in the filler hole. It looks clipped it, but it looks fairly solidly clipped in. I basically got used to filling blindly for roughly the amount I think is needed minus one gallon, then I take a look, then I carefully fill up the rest with slower flow.

It's kind of a pain, but it works in a way that I get a very consistent fuel fill level, which I was never really able to with my GS - which was easier to fill in general though.
Guys,
Take a look at my original picture
From Tiger800
[/QUOTE]

That's what is on my bike that was manufactured in Oct 2011. Any suggestions how to fill gas with this thing in the filler hole?
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #12393
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Guys,
Take a look at my original picture
From Tiger800

That's what is on my bike that was manufactured in Oct 2011. Any suggestions how to fill gas with this thing in the filler hole?
I have absolutely no idea.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #12394
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Also add a proper valve stem tool ... the ones built into valve caps are junk.
Unless you've bought a Continental tube which comes with a nice steel cap with a core remover built in and has a nice little rubber cover over it. Superb.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #12395
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Based on experiences from some friends, I've started carrying a bottle of slime, with my other tools. If I get a flat in the rear, I'm trying that before I try to wrestle that Heidenau off.
+1 on that.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #12396
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Maybe you accidently got the new skunk works hybrid natural gas version that Triumph has secretly been working on?

Seriously, what does your dealer say?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #12397
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Same as mine. Just fill it carefully. I pull back the rubber thingy on the nozzle with my hand, fill carefully to an "estimated amound needed minus one gallon", then take a look and very carefully fill up the rest. No problem with that so far other than that it is fairly annoying.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #12398
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Worth a try for sure .... BUT ...
Slime (and similar products) are meant to be added BEFORE a flat. Once inside your tube it can sometimes slow or stop a leak, especially if puncture is small, like from a cactus spine, staple, small nail or screw. If you see a green dot (or dots) on your tire when you stop ... that means Slime just saved you a flat ... but don't push your luck, fix it ASAP. But I did ride two weeks in Mexico with the dots. Never needed air!

Most times if you have a big nail or screw ... by the time you've noticed you've got a flat, got slowed down and pull over ... you may have already chewed up the tube some ... in which case Slime probably will not work. Is this making sense? Putting it in ahead of time can work ... that said, it works better on Tubeless tires, IMHO.

Also check out : Ride On , another sealant, good reviews, I've never used it. I've been using Slime since 1998.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #12399
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Fill'er Up.

It that some sort of filter to keep debris out of your tank? That is weird.

Here is an old 2011 model fill hole with the fuel pump roll cage.
[IMG][/IMG]

We will be celebrating our 1 year anniversary next month.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #12400
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Slime (and similar products) are meant to be added BEFORE a flat. Once inside your tube it can sometimes slow or stop a leak, especially if puncture is small, like from a cactus spine, staple, small nail or screw. If you see a green dot (or dots) on your tire when you stop ... that means Slime just saved you a flat ... but don't push your luck, fix it ASAP. But I did ride two weeks in Mexico with the dots. Never needed air!

Most times if you have a big nail or screw ... by the time you've noticed you've got a flat, got slowed down and pull over ... you may have already chewed up the tube some ... in which case Slime probably will not work. Is this making sense? Putting it in ahead of time can work ... that said, it works better on Tubeless tires, IMHO.

Also check out : Ride On , another sealant, good reviews, I've never used it. I've been using Slime since 1998.

totally agree... especially the last paragraph. Been there done that!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #12401
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
It that some sort of filter to keep debris out of your tank? That is weird.
No, it's for the same reason as the two metal bars in your tank. At least that's my personal theory. My bike has the new thing, too, but it does not have the metal bars your's has.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #12402
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,753
Quote:

I switched to Ride-On about 5 years ago, had great luck so far..

Slime? Not so much.

...and it prevents patches sticking to the tube, too.

This was the flat that led me to stop using Slime in my bike tires.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #12403
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
highway pegs?

Anyone making highway pegs for the tiger? I don't find the ergos uncomfortable re: foot pegs and seat, but would like to be able to stretch out at times. Search didn't lead to much - and no specifics. Any options out there, if so any experience / review.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #12404
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post

Wow. Lotsa stuff in there. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Side note, ordered up my Jesse bags today. With that purchase I now have over 2500 in farkles for a fuggin bike I have not even bought yet.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #12405
rfmorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Laugh Rear Tire Change

Breaking the Bead on a rear tire is no easy job, thru experiance I found if the bike is on the center stand with the rear tire removed, I've placed the rear tire next to the side stand lying flat on the ground with a piece of wood or something to protect the rim and move the side stand out like if you were to going to park the bike, then wedged the tip of the side stand by tilting the bike away til the tip of the side stand is wedged in between the rim and the tire, then tilting the bike back putting force between the rim and the tire which will break the bead, then turn the wheel a quarter and repeat again til the beads is broken. This has helped while riding in Baja on a 9fity, and if your riding with someone you canthen use there bike's side stand.
Hope that helps
RfMorris
rfmorris is offline   Reply With Quote