Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #12391
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Anyone else make a decent sidestand switch guard, folding shift lever, or wire headlight guard?
That was the problem with me - I don't care to support Touratech either but when I bought my stuff, they were the only player in town for some items.

I tell ya, get drunk before ordering, feels so much better
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #12392
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Sorry to say, I think you may well be screwed. Most GPS' have a USB type input for power and this is 5V, not 12V. I'd wager the bit you cut off included a voltage regulator taking the bike's 12V down to 5V.

I really hope I'm wrong...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #12393
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Sorry to say, I think you may well be screwed. Most GPS' have a USB type input for power and this is 5V, not 12V. I'd wager the bit you cut off included a voltage regulator taking the bike's 12V down to 5V.

I did not cut off the voltage regulator, unless its inside the plug. There is a round thing in line right after the plug. I did not cut it off. So are the zumos a 12V? how do people hardwire them in. I knew I shouldn't have tried to do this myself.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #12394
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
I did not cut off the voltage regulator, unless its inside the plug. There is a round thing in line right after the plug. I did not cut it off. So are the zumos a 12V? how do people hardwire them in. I knew I shouldn't have tried to do this myself.

Yes the Zumos are 12v direct. I think you DID cut of the transformer which on some do have it in the plug. Does the plug have a small red light on it? If so I thnk you're screwed as Mercury suggests. Some also have the transformer in the cradle. They're all different so it's very dangerous to go cutting things off without understanding what you've got.
Oh, and that little lump? Don't know what it is exactly but it ain't the transformer.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12395
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Man.. that sucks!!
Ditto on the voltage regulator! Big money here says you overloaded the GPS with too many volts.

Anyone else looking to do something similar...MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR!! I just recently converted my GPS cigarette plug to a hella/dimm plug. I cut off the end of the cigarette plug and exposed the +- leads in order to keep the regulator. Looks a little silly but beats the alternative!
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #12396
mbellantone
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Tiger 800 Instrument Pod Question(s)

Hey folks, not sure if this post belongs here, but i'm sure i'll be redirected... but here goes;

I have a 2012 Tiger (road).

Is it true that you cannot view the odometer while traveling? I've found that that using the instrument cluster is a bit cumbersome but I've overcome that by bludgeoning it... but after reading the owners manual and fiddling around, is there any way to keep the odometer facing you while riding as opposed to one of the trip odo's?

by the way, i love this bike!

T.I.A.

MB

1984 BMW R80RT (red)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 roady (white)
mbellantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #12397
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellantone View Post
Hey folks, not sure if this post belongs here, but i'm sure i'll be redirected... but here goes;

I have a 2012 Tiger (road).

Is it true that you cannot view the odometer while traveling? I've found that that using the instrument cluster is a bit cumbersome but I've overcome that by bludgeoning it... but after reading the owners manual and fiddling around, is there any way to keep the odometer facing you while riding as opposed to one of the trip odo's?

by the way, i love this bike!

T.I.A.

MB
Heard the same thing, and I'll be finding out for myself soon. The thing I think is a bit odd about this is, it's a computer - can't it just be updated with new software? You'd think there would be one or more people at Triumph who do nothing but deal with those things.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #12398
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
It is true.....

As soon as you drop into 1st the trip meter takes over.
strider.deano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #12399
GizmoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Not quite accurate, The odo is displayed for three seconds after turning on the ignition key, then reverts to the last tripmeter displayed.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #12400
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Which means that you're more likely to break the mudguard when the forks fully compress. I refer you to this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559 where it has happened. Sorry but you'll have to do the searching through.
You are correct. I made them a year ago so my memory was not so good. I made mine 20mm vs the TT ones at 15mm. That was all the brake lines allowed. 3k miles with them and not a problem.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #12401
mbellantone
n00b

Oddometer: 4
yes, it does display the odo when you first fire up... for two seconds or so, then disappears...

the question is, can i be "re-flashed" to behave differently.

the way it is now, it sucks.

M

1984 BMW R80RT (red)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 roady (white)
mbellantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #12402
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
The regulator is probably inside the plug - it doesn't have to be very big as that's not much of a voltage change and the current the GPS draws is pretty low. I have no idea if Zumo's are 12V - I know my Nuvi is straight USB/5V. The lump after the plug is probably an RF filter of some sort - it just stops RF interference from the engine getting to the Zumo.

This is all conjecture on my part and I really hope I'm wrong.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #12403
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Same color as mine but except my frame is silver. I do like the black frame. Is that a 2012 color option?

Thanks. Not an option, that's the way the 2012's come.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #12404
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Congrats! (you lucky Dog!) I love that color ... don't care what anyone says. I hope someday they'll do it on a XC model. Sounds like you'll need to give Baldy a call for a name change? New Avatar? Isn't that a Vstrom motor? How about : Papa Tiger? Tiger Dad? Good luck ... ride safe!
I like the color too. Very unusual. The dealer said it's a slow seller, so I got a better deal because of it.

I don't know about the handle change, it kinda looks like a team green color.

Anyway, the kawidad came from my son owning a kawi at the time I took the name, but hey, I also have a KLR, so it still fits. Hmm, Papa Tiger, I like it............

Yeah, my avatar is a strom motor, which I used to own. But, since I'm kinda a gear head I like motor shots and stuph so I'll have to think on that.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #12405
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Same here in the UK. And, to make it worse, under EU law I'm supposed to be able to buy stuff anywhere in Europe but Touratrash refuse to sell to me off their German website.

SW Motech are the same. You have to use the UK distributor and pay extra for the privilege.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote