Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #12481
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I'm relatively certain it is in mine.
I just looked and didn't see it in mine. Anybody else wonder how short the owners manual would be if they took out all the inane warnings? I have to laugh when both open pages are nothing but warnings.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #12482
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Reading the Triumph owner's manual should only be performed by a trained professional familiar with such manuals. If you have any difficulty reading your Triumph Owner's Manual, please take your Owner's Manual to your certified Triumph dealer so that your Triumph Owner's Manual can be read to you by a trained Triumph mechanic.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #12483
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Reading the Triumph owner's manual should only be performed by a trained professional familiar with such manuals. If you have any difficulty reading your Triumph Owner's Manual, please take your Owner's Manual to your certified Triumph dealer so that your Triumph Owner's Manual can be read to you by a trained Triumph mechanic.
Thanks Richard. That made my day. Firearms manuals are just as bad. Being shot can cause serious injury or death. No shit.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #12484
kebrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
That's funny RichardU. The Girl will be riding the new bike so I had her read the owner's manual and I asked her to pay particular attention to learning the instrument display functions. I was telling her that the new Tiger has a gear position indicator where her Versys did not. She informed me there is no mention of the GPI in the owner's manual, or at least in the section covering the display.

Strange omission but was wondering if we got the wrong owner's manual. Maybe Triumph has an updated electronic version that actually explains the bike we bought.

The Girl has loved that Tiger since the demo ride she took a year ago. I broke down and bought her one yesterday instead of getting the sweet Sportster XR1200 I wanted. The new bike was to be our dedicated backup bike. Now the Versys will be the backup which is not so bad as it is a hoot in the mountains. When friends come from out of town they can borrow the Versys and join us for breakfast at Deals Gap. There is a pretty cool road leading to the restaurant, wish I could remember its nickname.

KEB
kebrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #12485
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,553
With the bike in neutral, pull up the set-up menu & scroll to odometer. You hit the other button to select display odo. It stays up for awhile. I've only done it once. I think it goes back to default when the key is turned off. Just like turning off ABS.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #12486
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Unrelated to the discussion but still about the instrument pod, does anybody know if the silver trim ring can be detached from the pod without damage. I want to paint it black as I don't like the visual distraction,
Currently have black electrical tape on it but that only lasts for 6 months before it starts peeling off.

Asked the tech at the dealer but they don't ever go into the pod, just replace the whole unit if there are any problems, of which there have been almost none.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #12487
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Funny,

I was going to post this exact same question last night after riding home from work, but forgot! Sounds like so far there's no real fix (except scrolling while sitting, and stop lights never seem to last long enough when I'm goofing with the screen, which is weird since they last so long while I'm sitting there doing nothing).

Here's another related question, posed in hopes that at some point the Tiger Product Management team will read this thread:

What possible criteria did you use to conclude that removing the ODO from casual view was a good idea?

You got every other detail on the bike correct, it's spectacular, but this one oversight is so profoundly misguided, all I can deduce is that someone on the PM team was totally smoking crack, and that the rest of the team is covering up for them. To that I'd say, it's o.k. to stage an intervention guys. Really, in the end it will be better for everyone...
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #12488
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

I tried letting my trip 2 just run as an odom, but it only goes to 5000 & resets to 0.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #12489
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I guess I fall outside the norm of Tiger 800 owners because I just don't give a shit about the odometer. I never "use" the odometer while I'm riding because I know how many total miles are on my bikes every time I fire one up. Once I'm actually on the road, there are more important things to do. On the other hand, I very much appreciate the two switchable trip odo's because those are functions I use every time I ride and/or gas up.

I can understand wondering why Triumph took this approach because it seems like it wouldn't take much to make switching to the odo a simple one step option. But really, I still don't give a shit. If I had to choose one function that I'm really missing on the 800's cluster, it would be ambient temperature.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #12490
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrider View Post
...join us for breakfast at Deals Gap.
I just searched for that and checked out the map. That looks like a really fun place to ride, 3 roads leading there with nary a straightway.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #12491
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Does anyone else think the amount of time Triumph is taking to figure out the centerstand issue is embarassing? Take the bike and an intelligent engineer, lock them in a room together and tell him/her they can't come out until it's done. I'm betting no more than 8 hours, max.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #12492
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Does anyone else think the amount of time Triumph is taking to figure out the centerstand issue is embarassing? Take the bike and an intelligent engineer, lock them in a room together and tell him/her they can't come out until it's done. I'm betting no more than 8 hours, max.
You forget, there is also a lawyer and an accountant in that room.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #12493
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

I was told just a few minutes ago that the new centerstand is exactly like the original except they added a "ball" where it hits the stop. I can't verify, but I'm sure glad I got mine early on. I use it everyday to spin my XC 180deg in the shed.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #12494
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I was told just a few minutes ago that the new centerstand is exactly like the original except they added a "ball" where it hits the stop. I can't verify, but I'm sure glad I got mine early on. I use it everyday to spin my XC 180deg in the shed.
Please tell me more about this spinning. I park my bike in something like a bat cave, and turning in place 180 degrees would be a godsend.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #12495
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Please tell me more about this spinning. I park my bike in something like a bat cave, and turning in place 180 degrees would be a godsend.
Park your bike with your centerstand deployed on a baking sheet (cookie tray.) You can then spin it very easily if the surface under the sheet is not grippy.

Make sure you don't swipe your wife's best baking sheet when attempting this.