Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #12511
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 123
SW Motech center stand works just fine for me. If you really want one, I wouldn't wait on Triumph to get it together.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #12512
hawkbox
800 (Ironhide!)

Oddometer: 12
You've had good experiences with the SW-Motech one? I'm interested in it but hesitant to commit for my bike with all the trouble Triumph has had in general.
hawkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #12513
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Yes. I uploaded it as soon as it came out. Just off idle/light throttle seems to be smoother and more linear. I recorded a true 48 mpg (47.8 on the instrument cluster, 48.0 with a calculator) on my first tank with the new map. For comparison I usually averaged about 43 mpg with the previous map, but to be fair this was the first full tank I ran without side cases installed. I only had the top case on, and I suspect that might be worth a couple mpg too.
I tried to upload it to my 800 today and it says the file is corrupted.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #12514
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
I tried to upload it to my 800 today and it says the file is corrupted.

Jim
Make sure you have the latest version of TuneECU (2.2). I tried to open the map with version 1.9.9 and got the same message, but when when I downloaded the latest version of TuneECU I had no trouble opening the map.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #12515
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Yes. I uploaded it as soon as it came out. Just off idle/light throttle seems to be smoother and more linear. I recorded a true 48 mpg (47.8 on the instrument cluster, 48.0 with a calculator) on my first tank with the new map. For comparison I usually averaged about 43 mpg with the previous map, but to be fair this was the first full tank I ran without side cases installed. I only had the top case on, and I suspect that might be worth a couple mpg too.
Thanks, good to know it at least isn't worse. I'll have to put on some miles soon to verify.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #12516
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Make sure you have the latest version of TuneECU (2.2). I tried to open the map with version 1.9.9 and got the same message, but when when I downloaded the latest version of TuneECU I had no trouble opening the map.
Welcome back. Where have you been hiding?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #12517
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I was told just a few minutes ago that the new centerstand is exactly like the original except they added a "ball" where it hits the stop. I can't verify, but I'm sure glad I got mine early on. I use it everyday to spin my XC 180deg in the shed.
According to the pictures from Triumph the new centerstand has 2 added bump stops added to the end of each leg. So there will be a total of 3 bump stops, plus the rubber bump stops are different. Supposedly, the rubber stop is the subject of a recall in and of itself.

BTW, my dealer finally did track down the information. The web info I got was correct and they did sell me an old kit that was not technically recalled, but was not supposed to be sold anymore. If it had been dealer installed, with a certain VIN range, then it was a recall item.

So, my dealer has ordered a new kit for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #12518
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
So, my dealer has ordered a new kit for me.
Very cool. Hope they get it sorted soon, I want to be able to turn the thing 180 degrees where it parks, and practice some field repairs before getting too far off the beaten track. I'm headed to Flagstaff mid-May, probably be wishful thinking it'll come by then.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #12519
Masi
Adventurer

Tyres for Non XC

Howdy, it's been a loong and snowy winter up here in Finland but now it appears that the back roads are open and filled with mud, soft sand and all that is beautiful in life..
I've been away from the forum for awhile and there seems to be some 300 pages more to this thread so this might be down there somewhere but being lazy I go and ask..
What kind of tyres are you non XC riders using? My goal is to be more dirt orientated than last summer but the Scorpion trails do not give too good support on mud or soft sand. I know that there's not that much room under the std. front fender but could there be enough for TKC80's or K60 Scouts?
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #12520
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Howdy, it's been a loong and snowy winter up here in Finland but now it appears that the back roads are open and filled with mud, soft sand and all that is beautiful in life..
I've been away from the forum for awhile and there seems to be some 300 pages more to this thread so this might be down there somewhere but being lazy I go and ask..
What kind of tyres are you non XC riders using? My goal is to be more dirt orientated than last summer but the Scorpion trails do not give too good support on mud or soft sand. I know that there's not that much room under the std. front fender but could there be enough for TKC80's or K60 Scouts?
I don't know prices or availability of tires in Finland ... but the US has a decent selection. TKC 80's are a good choice but very expensive here.

We get the Michelin T63, but it does not come in Tiger 800 Roadie sizes. But IMO, you might be OK running a 130/17 rear tire if you used a tube. The T63 is only about $65 usd ... most all others are much more.

Finding a front 19" is more a problem. Not so common but better than a few years ago.

Pirelli now make a new dual sport in a 110/19 size: Scorpion Rally. Looks like a MT-21 remake. Also they have a 150/17. Less expensive than TKC 80's.

Kenda now make Tiger sizes with their new Kenda Big Block tire:
150/17 rear, 110/19 front. Pretty expensive here, but not as much as TKC 80 and not as long lasting either.

Dunlop make the D606, but only a 130/17 rear, no 19 front.

Continental make the TKC 80 in Tiger size front and rear ... but double the price here of other comparable tires. $$$$
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #12521
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
If so, I need the name of your dealer :)
They called today and said end of June now so basically the same story as everybody else.

Gonna go pick the bike up either tomorrow or next week. Time to start riding!!!
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #12522
Masi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I don't know prices or availability of tires in Finland ... but the US has a decent selection. TKC 80's are a good choice but very expensive here.

We get the Michelin T63, but it does not come in Tiger 800 Roadie sizes. But IMO, you might be OK running a 130/17 rear tire if you used a tube. The T63 is only about $65 usd ... most all others are much more.

Finding a front 19" is more a problem. Not so common but better than a few years ago.

Pirelli now make a new dual sport in a 110/19 size: Scorpion Rally. Looks like a MT-21 remake. Also they have a 150/17. Less expensive than TKC 80's.

Kenda now make Tiger sizes with their new Kenda Big Block tire:
150/17 rear, 110/19 front. Pretty expensive here, but not as much as TKC 80 and not as long lasting either.

Dunlop make the D606, but only a 130/17 rear, no 19 front.

Continental make the TKC 80 in Tiger size front and rear ... but double the price here of other comparable tires. $$$$
Thanks for the advise
We have good selection of tires up here and in decent price (but nothing compared to US).
I will check the Scorpion Rallies from my local Pirelli dealer since I've been quite confident on the Trails so far (except on mud of course).
My only problem is that I'm riding mostly on highway (~10k miles/summer) and would really appreciate good durability and proper handling in wet.
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #12523
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
[QUOTE=Masi;18558288]Thanks for the advise
We have good selection of tires up here and in decent price (but nothing compared to US).
I will check the Scorpion Rallies from my local Pirelli dealer since I've been quite confident on the Trails so far (except on mud of course).
My only problem is that I'm riding mostly on highway (~10k miles/summer) and would really appreciate good durability and proper handling in wet.[/QUOTE]

Then buy Michelins! the Anakee is the best non offroad oriented tire in my opinion.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #12524
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 123
Hawk,
Not a bit of problem with the Motech center stand. You do have to lose the evap canister for it to fit.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #12525
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Then buy Michelins! the Anakee is the best non offroad oriented tire in my opinion.
Sure ... Anakee's are great on roads, wet roads and even some gravel. But in any sort of mud ? You are sunk ... literally. I've used them for years. I like them a lot ... but not so much for off road unless fairly dry. Finland is not real dry, far as I know.

Perhaps running a "Mullet" combo would be right? A Mullet is a knobbie front and Dual Sport tire rear (Anakee, K60, Distanzia, Battlewing). If you can find a good front knobby that works OK on pavement (I have experience only with the TKC 80, D606 and MT-21) and that will wear well ... then may work out OK. Front knobby tire will last double the distance of a rear knobby.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote