Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #12541
Rofor
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Octane is simply measured using a different method in North America; our 87 octane is equivalent to Europe's 90 octane. Your 95 octane is equivalent to 91 octane here. And most gas stations here also carry 93-octane premium, which is equivalent to your 98 octane (we use the AKI octane rating scale, while Europe uses the RON scale).

--mark
Ok - so no reason to use Arrow map on any other than a Arrow can. As far as i know, Akrapovic is the only aftermarket can, which has/works on an own map for his part, all others should work well with the standard one. The only 'plus' for the Arrow map is a plus in fuel usage...
Rofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #12542
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
I'd like to add auxiliary lighting to my Tiger 800, but not sure if I should go OEM fog lights or some other lights like PIAA. Does anybody have any suggestions on good lights that won't break the bank?

I'd like to hear what others have installed and how they worked out for you.
I run Rigid Dually D2's in Driving mode, with the Hepco-Becker top guard, which I bought specifically because of it's level front pipe and lamp mounts. I ordered the Triumph harness and switch so it matched the heated grip button and it's very nice. I actually aim them slightly splayed as they have a slightly spreading pattern in a "tall oval" shape; this gives me more peripheral lighting while still full power straight ahead too. Very good lights and if you get the Marine ones, they're white, which match the best Tiger 800 XC colour available.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #12543
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofor
Any special reason, why you used the Arrow map?

In the british Tiger800 board somebody contacted LeoVince and they told him that the standard map should be used with their cans as only for the 'original' Arrow can the special map is needed, all other aftermarket cans should work with the normal map!
No special reason, no. It just seemed logical that an after market pipe that enhances performance would need it, such as the Arrow or LV. It's running great with the Arrow map, but I didn't really run it that long on the default one. The one thing I did notice with the stock map was more popping on deceleration, after the Arrow map it was popping the same as stock can/stock map. So do we know all the differences in these maps, is it just an air-fuel change? If it seems like its running great, is there a not quite so apparent reason I should go back to default? Looks like I may have to look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Well those did get very hot especially when the headers are the wrong way round.
Yeah, my dealer put those on backwards, but I didn't really care as I thought it was a purely cosmetic difference. I also thought about switching them myself, but it seemed I'd have to get the oil cooler off and I just didn't feel up for that until I got to oil change #2 - I never got to oil change #2. :)

UtahFox screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:39 AM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #12544
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Octane is simply measured using a different method in North America; our 87 octane is equivalent to Europe's 90 octane. Your 95 octane is equivalent to 91 octane here. And most gas stations here also carry 93-octane premium, which is equivalent to your 98 octane (we use the AKI octane rating scale, while Europe uses the RON scale).

--mark

Slight correction, In Canada we also use the RON method,

Generally around these parts

87 = Regular
89 = what do they call this? Mid-Grade?
91 = Super
94 = Super Duper (Sunoco and some others)
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #12545
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
FS: Jesse Luggage

Hey Guys, I have a set of lightly used Jesse's for sale if anyone is interested.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785533

nhspirit screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 12:50 PM
nhspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #12546
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Slight correction, In Canada we also use the RON method,

Generally around these parts

87 = Regular
89 = what do they call this? Mid-Grade?
91 = Super
94 = Super Duper (Sunoco and some others)
That's the AKI scale, same as the US (also known as the (R+M)/2 scale). The RON scale, used in Europe, uses higher numbers.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #12547
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I run Rigid Dually D2's in Driving mode, with the Hepco-Becker top guard, which I bought specifically because of it's level front pipe and lamp mounts. I ordered the Triumph harness and switch so it matched the heated grip button and it's very nice. I actually aim them slightly splayed as they have a slightly spreading pattern in a "tall oval" shape; this gives me more peripheral lighting while still full power straight ahead too. Very good lights and if you get the Marine ones, they're white, which match the best Tiger 800 XC colour available.

Chris
What mounting system did you use? Any way you could post pictures of this set up? Those lights look nice.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #12548
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofor
Any special reason, why you used the Arrow map?

In the british Tiger800 board somebody contacted LeoVince and they told him that the standard map should be used with their cans as only for the 'original' Arrow can the special map is needed, all other aftermarket cans should work with the normal map!
Here is a email quote I got from Leo Vince after asking the question. "Yea I would recommend you do use the map for the Arrow system. Our system is very comparable."

I'm certainly dont know much about exhausts, dont all or almost all aftermarket exhaust cans (slip ons) somewhat increase air flow compared to the stock? If you look down the stock exhaust, you cannot see through it as you can my Leo (or prob any aftermarket can) which to me alone suggests greater airflow. If thats the case, it would seem logical to me that the richer arrow map will help to compensate for this increase and therefor allow the bike to run smoother? Maybe its just the nice sound that the Leo makes fooling me, but my Tiger feels so much more responsive and torquee since I loaded the new arrow map!

Oh yea, and who cares about gas mileage when your having this much fun!!
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #12549
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Here is a email quote I got from Leo Vince after asking the question. "Yea I would recommend you do use the map for the Arrow system. Our system is very comparable."

I'm certainly dont know much about exhausts, dont all or almost all aftermarket exhaust cans (slip ons) somewhat increase air flow compared to the stock? If you look down the stock exhaust, you cannot see through it as you can my Leo (or prob any aftermarket can) which to me alone suggests greater airflow. If thats the case, it would seem logical to me that the richer arrow map will help to compensate for this increase and therefor allow the bike to run smoother? Maybe its just the nice sound that the Leo makes fooling me, but my Tiger feels so much more responsive and torquee since I loaded the new arrow map!

do you really think its got more torque?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #12550
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
do you really think its got more torque?
Prob has more to do with the smaller front sprocket which I left out...my bad!

Never the less seems to run smoother.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #12551
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post

Chris

Hi Mr_Chris,

So you were able to order the Triumph switch and harness separately without the lights? Being electrically inept I was dreading the wiring of a new set of extra lights, but if the switch and harness can be ordered separately all I that is needed is to hook up the lights. I might actually be able to accomplish that. Did you just ask the dealer or is there actually a part number for just the switch and harness?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #12552
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Well, I haven't posted in this thread since back in the early days when the 800 was a rumor, mainly because I didn't figure I'd get one, but this week I'm trading in my Daytona and picking up an orange '12 XC in Missouri.

So, I've been reading since I last left off around page 500 or so, and back up to 787. Wanted to see what finally shook out as "must have" farkles and "nice to haves". Getting a feel for it.

My wife really doesn't like to ride so I'm guessing I'll pass on hard cases and sling a soft bag and call it good for luggage. After that I can see a TKC80/K60 tire combo and a couple other little things and that's it.

Going to be tough giving up my track bike but with the floods last year I made it to zero track days and put 150 miles on the Daytona so it was time for it to go. I also live on a gravel road and have an 800' crushed limestone driveway so the Daytona was always an experience just getting to the first paved road. Now it will be fun.

It looks like this thread has dropped down to a core group of posters. fbj913, I'm sure you are wondering but it's not coming from Engel but actually Eldorado Cycle. They made me a killer deal on the trade and seem like good people. I go to Joplin and KC every 4-6 weeks for work so maybe we will run into each other sometime.

Anyway, hope to post pics in a couple of days.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #12553
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post

Yes an aftermarket can should increase the flow from the exhaust, but manufacturers are building pretty darn efficient exhaust systems now a days. If you increase the flow of the exhaust but don't touch the intake then all your buying with the exhaust is noise. A motor is simply an air pump and the point of a freer flowing exhaust, is to then open up the intake with either a freer flowing air filter or opening up an air box etc. Then because you're flowing more air through the motor, that's when you should be running a different map to richen it up to match the increased air flow.

I would think running an aftermarket exhaust with the stock air filter you would be fine with the stock map, unless the stock air filter can pull more air than the stock exhaust.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #12554
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
An inmate here has some good LED spots and floods

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=607184&page=4

I put a pair of the spots on my hepco tank protector bar and used the Triumph fog light switch and sub loom.
worked very well.

Alas no good pics, because of Garage fire but this sort of gives an idea of what they look like and where they sit (sat)

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #12555
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Laugh

Well I got to spend a couple days in the woods around western NC, I am truly impressed with the xc. We did mostly fire roads and groomed gravel so nothing crazy. A few spots near the airport in Andrews got a little sketchy for the oem rubber but mostly fine. Got about 120 miles in total and ended up on the skyway after getting into the woods in Andrews by the house. I really have nothing bad to say about the bike. Maybe get rid of the passenger peg mounts, felt those a few times sliding around turns, what a bike.