Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #12571
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Here is a email quote I got from Leo Vince after asking the question. "Yea I would recommend you do use the map for the Arrow system. Our system is very comparable."

I'm certainly dont know much about exhausts, dont all or almost all aftermarket exhaust cans (slip ons) somewhat increase air flow compared to the stock? If you look down the stock exhaust, you cannot see through it as you can my Leo (or prob any aftermarket can) which to me alone suggests greater airflow. If thats the case, it would seem logical to me that the richer arrow map will help to compensate for this increase and therefor allow the bike to run smoother? Maybe its just the nice sound that the Leo makes fooling me, but my Tiger feels so much more responsive and torquee since I loaded the new arrow map!

Oh yea, and who cares about gas mileage when your having this much fun!!
Yes an aftermarket can should increase the flow from the exhaust, but manufacturers are building pretty darn efficient exhaust systems now a days. If you increase the flow of the exhaust but don't touch the intake then all your buying with the exhaust is noise. A motor is simply an air pump and the point of a freer flowing exhaust, is to then open up the intake with either a freer flowing air filter or opening up an air box etc. Then because you're flowing more air through the motor, that's when you should be running a different map to richen it up to match the increased air flow.

I would think running an aftermarket exhaust with the stock air filter you would be fine with the stock map, unless the stock air filter can pull more air than the stock exhaust.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #12572
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
An inmate here has some good LED spots and floods

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=607184&page=4

I put a pair of the spots on my hepco tank protector bar and used the Triumph fog light switch and sub loom.
worked very well.

Alas no good pics, because of Garage fire but this sort of gives an idea of what they look like and where they sit (sat)

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #12573
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Laugh

Well I got to spend a couple days in the woods around western NC, I am truly impressed with the xc. We did mostly fire roads and groomed gravel so nothing crazy. A few spots near the airport in Andrews got a little sketchy for the oem rubber but mostly fine. Got about 120 miles in total and ended up on the skyway after getting into the woods in Andrews by the house. I really have nothing bad to say about the bike. Maybe get rid of the passenger peg mounts, felt those a few times sliding around turns, what a bike.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #12574
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Hi Mr_Chris,

So you were able to order the Triumph switch and harness separately without the lights? Being electrically inept I was dreading the wiring of a new set of extra lights, but if the switch and harness can be ordered separately all I that is needed is to hook up the lights. I might actually be able to accomplish that. Did you just ask the dealer or is there actually a part number for just the switch and harness?

Thanks.
Yeah, just have em grab out the parts catalogue with the drawings, and order the replacement parts, as though you crashed and broke yours or something. I'm sure you pay a bit of a higher price than the cheapest aftermarket, and sorry I don't recall how much mine was anymore, but you can order almost any bit off a Triumph, separately, down to screws and such. Although I've seen screws for $9.50 so I don't recommend buying those in this way.

You need the wiring harness, the button switch, and there's an L-bracket that mounts it with the grip switch... and screws. They are all numbered there in the drawings.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #12575
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
What mounting system did you use? Any way you could post pictures of this set up? Those lights look nice.
I will definitely do so, my bike is getting prepared for Ye Big Olde Shin Digge out at Jingellic and thus I am currently riding a borrowed Speed Triple in my goretex Klim jacket.

Day or two I'll put some piccies to show how mine look.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #12576
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Well, I haven't posted in this thread since back in the early days when the 800 was a rumor, mainly because I didn't figure I'd get one, but this week I'm trading in my Daytona and picking up an orange '12 XC in Missouri.

So, I've been reading since I last left off around page 500 or so, and back up to 787. Wanted to see what finally shook out as "must have" farkles and "nice to haves". Getting a feel for it.

My wife really doesn't like to ride so I'm guessing I'll pass on hard cases and sling a soft bag and call it good for luggage. After that I can see a TKC80/K60 tire combo and a couple other little things and that's it.

Going to be tough giving up my track bike but with the floods last year I made it to zero track days and put 150 miles on the Daytona so it was time for it to go. I also live on a gravel road and have an 800' crushed limestone driveway so the Daytona was always an experience just getting to the first paved road. Now it will be fun.

It looks like this thread has dropped down to a core group of posters. fbj913, I'm sure you are wondering but it's not coming from Engel but actually Eldorado Cycle. They made me a killer deal on the trade and seem like good people. I go to Joplin and KC every 4-6 weeks for work so maybe we will run into each other sometime.

Anyway, hope to post pics in a couple of days.
Good to hear! I am always out and about somewhere so give me a hollar anytime! I havnt ridden up your way at all so if you know of any areas let me know. Welcome to the XC family!
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #12577
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Well, I haven't posted in this thread since back in the early days when the 800 was a rumor, mainly because I didn't figure I'd get one, but this week I'm trading in my Daytona and picking up an orange '12 XC in Missouri.

So, I've been reading since I last left off around page 500 or so, and back up to 787. Wanted to see what finally shook out as "must have" farkles and "nice to haves". Getting a feel for it.

My wife really doesn't like to ride so I'm guessing I'll pass on hard cases and sling a soft bag and call it good for luggage. After that I can see a TKC80/K60 tire combo and a couple other little things and that's it.

Going to be tough giving up my track bike but with the floods last year I made it to zero track days and put 150 miles on the Daytona so it was time for it to go. I also live on a gravel road and have an 800' crushed limestone driveway so the Daytona was always an experience just getting to the first paved road. Now it will be fun.

It looks like this thread has dropped down to a core group of posters. fbj913, I'm sure you are wondering but it's not coming from Engel but actually Eldorado Cycle. They made me a killer deal on the trade and seem like good people. I go to Joplin and KC every 4-6 weeks for work so maybe we will run into each other sometime.

Anyway, hope to post pics in a couple of days.
Congrats on the bike! I'm probably closer to your neighborhood. Maybe I'll see you out in the wind sometime.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #12578
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Congrats on the bike! I'm probably closer to your neighborhood. Maybe I'll see you out in the wind sometime.
We all need to do a midwest tiger meet and greet!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #12579
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Yes an aftermarket can should increase the flow from the exhaust, but manufacturers are building pretty darn efficient exhaust systems now a days. If you increase the flow of the exhaust but don't touch the intake then all your buying with the exhaust is noise. A motor is simply an air pump and the point of a freer flowing exhaust, is to then open up the intake with either a freer flowing air filter or opening up an air box etc. Then because you're flowing more air through the motor, that's when you should be running a different map to richen it up to match the increased air flow.

I do understand that the intake, air filter, and exhaust together are only as good as the lowest denominator. However if what you say is true, why is there a arrow map available for those that swap out for the arrow exhaust? Shouldnt they all including the arrow exhaust run fine with the stock map?
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #12580
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
I do understand that the intake, air filter, and exhaust together are only as good as the lowest denominator. However if what you say is true, why is there a arrow map available for those that swap out for the arrow exhaust? Shouldnt they all including the arrow exhaust run fine with the stock map?
It all depends on what your ultimate goal is...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #12581
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
We all need to do a midwest tiger meet and greet!
I'd be up for this. Maybe do a loess hill ride and then I have my own island and cabin at a small lake between Omaha and Lincoln where we could finish up for some food/beverages. It's not much, built in 1939. I spent all year last year renovating it - new electrical, fixtures, kitchen, roof, windows, outside landscaping was just finished this year with new sod.

I'll post something up in the East NE/West IA BS thread.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #12582
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
It all depends on what your ultimate goal is...
Well sure, if you want to change out cams, intake, FULL exhaust, etc.. then you'd prob want to take it and have it dyno'd and custom mapped instead of installing the arrow map. I was under the impression that the arrow map was made for those that only swap the stock can for the arrow can which, if is the case, would imply that some sort of increase in air flow is made.

I do know that my bike is running smoother with the Leo and arrow map than it did with the stock can and stock map!
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #12583
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
I'd be up for this. Maybe do a loess hill ride and then I have my own island and cabin at a small lake between Omaha and Lincoln where we could finish up for some food/beverages. It's not much, built in 1939. I spent all year last year renovating it - new electrical, fixtures, kitchen, roof, windows, outside landscaping was just finished this year with new sod.

I'll post something up in the East NE/West IA BS thread.
Sounds good.

Let me know if you are up for a two-night getaway this weekend, and I'll PM you the details of something that's been in the works for a while. Short notice, I know. (KC area folks welcome too, but it is about 6 hours from you.)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #12584
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Pelican Top Box.

For those of you with a Pelican top box (or any other non-moto specific box), did you use the existing oem 'rack' or did you buy an aftermarket rear rack? If you chose to add a rear rack, which one did you get and why?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #12585
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I just bolted mine on straight to the stock rear rack. I used the original bolt locations, extra long bolts, 3/4" sleeves and washers. Pelican 1300 case. I would like to have a little bit bigger case, but I had the 1300 on hand. I haven't considered rear racks yet.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote