Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #12571
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I am sure that is possible as I recall having friends who talked about doing that to their cars when I was younger.

The guy I know is a whiz at fabbing. He creates one off turbo systems for a living. If he can make me a sweet arse header for me this winter without the cat, I am gonna flip some benjamins at him and sit back and watch.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #12572
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I am sure that is possible as I recall having friends who talked about doing that to their cars when I was younger.

The guy I know is a whiz at fabbing. He creates one off turbo systems for a living. If he can make me a sweet arse header for me this winter without the cat, I am gonna flip some benjamins at him and sit back and watch.
Im sure he has access to a dyno and could map it at well.

Whats the name of your friend or his turbo business? My cousin is heavily involved in V-Twin turbos http://www.seanrayturbosystems.com/. Just curious as its not a very saturated line of work.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #12573
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Since throwing on a Leo exhaust and loading the arrow map, mine hasn't had the popping issue. Is it certain that the popping comes from the cat and not possibly the stock muffler in combination with a leaner (stock) map?
+1 only Arrow can with arrow map. My dealer loaded the map for the stock can by accident and it popped like crazy. I loaded the Arrow map with TuneECU and popping went away.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #12574
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
http://www.mpfab.com/

He does fantastic work.

Tune ECU only works on a pc correct? I have a desktop at work but have been using a macbook at home for the past few years.

Flying Dave screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 12:03 PM
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #12575
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Well, dropped off my Daytona and picked up my XC today. Didn't ride it at the dealership as I picked it up while passing through to a business meeting in Joplin tomorrow. Got to Joplin and the nice guys at Joplin Power Sports let me use their dock and parking lot to leave my truck for the evening and so I put two hours on it.

Initial reactions are, handles nice, not as slow of transitions as I thought it would be. I was pleased with suspension. Things that would have had me cringe and stand up waiting for the "thwack" on my Daytona were a simple "pa dump" on the XC. Seat is comfortable but on the low setting it seems to be pushing me forward onto the jewels. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm already on the balls of my feet so the high setting, which would likely improve this situation, is not an option.

Windscreen was causing air to pop me right on the top of the helmet which was pretty noisy. Never had buffeting and noise like this on the Daytona, probably because my whole head was in the wind, not just the top part.

One downside, this thing is S-L-O-W. Yank her open on a second gear roll and wait for it and wait and wait Shift and wait some more. Where my Daytona would be touching triple digits I might be hitting 70. I know, it's not a sport bike but I was surprised. 95 hp is still 95 hp. My Daytona had a slip-on and a -1 front sprocket as well so it's not fair but I guess it will keep me out of trouble.

On the whole, pleased with the purchase, looking forward to getting it home and on the gravel. As I live on a gravel road I saw no reason to risk it today, several hundred miles from home. Farkling will likely be minor, TKC80/K60 tires, center stand, something for a different windscreen, DIY rear plate and maybe DIY bag racks with Seahorse cases.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #12576
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
One downside, this thing is S-L-O-W.
Interesting take but, to be fair, you're talking apples and oranges here. I traded a nicely modded Hyper S for my 800 roadie and couldn't be happier. Now, the Hyper isn't quite the sport bike the Daytona is but it did have a bit more power, lots more torque and weighed close to 100 pounds less than my Tiger. For me, while it's no sport bike, the Tiger is more than quick enough. Last weekend, I finally had a chance to try some passing moves in the canyons and it was more than quick enough to squirt past anything on 4 wheels as well as the odd cruiser.

If you want a really valid comparison, try riding an 800GS back to back with your XC. I'm pretty confident the Tiger will smoke anything in its actual class. If I could change one thing, it would be that 100 pound disadvantage. At anything around or under 400 pounds, this bike would be a world beater.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #12577
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
One downside, this thing is S-L-O-W. Yank her open on a second gear roll and wait for it and wait and wait Shift and wait some more. Where my Daytona would be touching triple digits I might be hitting 70. I know, it's not a sport bike but I was surprised. 95 hp is still 95 hp. My Daytona had a slip-on and a -1 front sprocket as well so it's not fair but I guess it will keep me out of trouble.
keep it singing >6-7K and you will be happier
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #12578
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
keep it singing >6-7K and you will be happier
Difficult if he's running in.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #12579
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Difficult if he's running in.
It was a demo so it has 1,000 miles already so I can let 'er fly. I'm sure everyone else has.

I guess my comments are that it seems much slower than a loss of 30 bhp would show but it's no matter. I still like the bike very much.

Stein67 screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 06:15 AM
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #12580
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
It was a demo so it has 1,000 miles already so I can let 'er fly. I'm sure everyone else has.

I guess my comments are that it seems much slower than a loss of 30 bhp would show but it's no matter. I still like the bike very much.
Lost power, gained weight. Additionally, the 800 doesn't have the rev range like the 675 where it really hits. It's much more linear power so it will seem slower than it really is since you never get that strong surge.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #12581
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,654
Quote:

I think it's all due to your comparing it to your Daytona.

If I get on my XC after stepping off my 1098, the XC seems dog slow.

If I get on my XC after stepping off my KLX250, the XC seems like a missile.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #12582
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:

Well, I haven't ridden a Daytona but have ridden the street Triple. Even that rips from 10K upwards.....much fun. The Tiger ends at 10K because of its longer stroke.
But, Triumph also deliberately tuned the Tiger softer because of its intended use. i.e. you really don't want that sort of tyre shredding performance in the dirt. Well actually, the Tiger, as it is, is quite capable of shredding its tyres in the dirt anyway.
Glad you're enjoying your new bike.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #12583
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Tune ECU only works on a pc correct? I have a desktop at work but have been using a macbook at home for the past few years.
Windows only, but it will work in a VM.

I've used it successfully with VirtualBox, and have read reports from others using VMWare.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #12584
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Never ridden one, so I will ask. Does a Daytona pull starting at 2,000 rpm?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #12585
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Never ridden one, so I will ask. Does a Daytona pull starting at 2,000 rpm?
No but my wife's Street Triple doesn't need to be revved to the moon to go quickly either. That's the beauty of the Triumph Triple, they pull like a twin, but rev like a 4 cyl.

You hear this a lot when guys used to peaky 4 cyl bikes hop on a twin. It's slow, where's the acceleration? Difference between hp and torque. Lots of people who ride my CBF1000 say the same thing and call it boring. It's not boring, it's just linear, so if you're used to that high rpm "hit", you think you are going slow. Yamaha Tenere gets knocked the same way but is as quick as anything else in it's class, except the Multi.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote