Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #12586
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
For those of you with a Pelican top box (or any other non-moto specific box), did you use the existing oem 'rack' or did you buy an aftermarket rear rack? If you chose to add a rear rack, which one did you get and why?
mine is 100% Caribou. Rack and all. Because its built well and easy to remove.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #12587
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
mine is 100% Caribou. Rack and all. Because its built well and easy to remove.
That does look good, plus quick and easy. Which size did you get, the 40L?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #12588
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
For those of you with a Pelican top box (or any other non-moto specific box), did you use the existing oem 'rack' or did you buy an aftermarket rear rack? If you chose to add a rear rack, which one did you get and why?
CJ Designs rack, Seahorse case with QFS mounts. Rack is well made and perfect size IMO.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11576
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #12589
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
This one is a for-sure working example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00
No, it's not.

It may have worked for you - but didn't for me, and it could fail for others. You simply can't trust the cheap cables, as the vendors change the chipsets routinely.

You have to ensure any cable has the FTDI chipset, or it will NOT work. I initially ordered the cable linked above, and it arrived with an HL-340 chipset. Incompatible with TuneECU.

More details here.
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #12590
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
CJ Designs rack, Seahorse case with QFS mounts. Rack is well made and perfect size IMO.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11576
Jim, what size is the sea horse. They make a great case.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #12591
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
No, it's not.

It may have worked for you - but didn't for me, and it could fail for others. You simply can't trust the cheap cables, as the vendors change the chipsets routinely.

You have to ensure any cable has the FTDI chipset, or it will NOT work. I initially ordered the cable linked above, and it arrived with an HL-340 chipset. Incompatible with TuneECU.

More details here.
Hmm, used this exact cable on Saturday to upload the OEM map to my laptop, then I overwrote it with the Arrow one. Did you use the CD that came with it? If so that was your problem, TuneECU sees this cable on its own. This is the cable I used, just took the pic...

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #12592
jimjim
Just another FF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
Jim, what size is the sea horse. They make a great case.
SE-520 http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=SE_CASES
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #12593
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahfox View Post
that does look good, plus quick and easy. Which size did you get, the 40l?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #12594
jimjim
Just another FF!

Quote:
I installed a Tapp-Lite USB power power port on my bike today. Very easy install, though it probably took me an hour and a half as I usually just plod along.

http://www.3brpowersports.com/TAPP_lite.htm

Is that zip tied to your bars?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #12595
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitchaGumee View Post
I hate to bring up an old topic, but... I received my SW-MOTECH City tank bag and was going to mount it today. The bag itself looks great, but I'm leary of the topring kit.

I was expecting the simplicity of a quick pin to release the bag, but it has a rotary mechanism that actuates four dogs that release the bag. My main concern is with the release pull cord that routes through the body of the mount. If (when) this cord fails there is no way to release the bag. I hate it when manufacturers make designs more complex with little to no benefit in function.

Has anybody with this topring had any issues? Share my concerns?
HA! I just put a Daypack over the weekend on my XC and as I sat at work yesterday it dawned on me that if that little string breaks, I won't be able to refuel the bike. Last night I pulled the topring back off, dismantled it, and drilled a hole just behind the "security" hole (actually just flipped the template over and it was in the perfect spot). If something would happen and the string breaks, I have the small allen wrench in the bag and could take the bag off the top ring and if you poke the wrench in the new hole I drilled, I can turn the mechanism that releases it. Could have had the hole go all the way through the bag... but hoping I never have to use it. Based on the other post, it sounds like there's a way to get a screwdriver in there from the outside to get it released as well.

I agree... over engineered!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #12596
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Is that zip tied to your bars?
Yep. There's a flap that runs halfway around the bar, which is about one inch wide and has some stickum on the bottom. On either side of that flap you run the zip ties, so 2 of those plus the sticky stuff is what's keeping it attached. You can kinda see that rubberized flap in that photo.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #12597
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Hmm, used this exact cable on Saturday to upload the OEM map to my laptop, then I overwrote it with the Arrow one. Did you use the CD that came with it? If so that was your problem, TuneECU sees this cable on its own. This is the cable I used, just took the pic...

It seems this cable is the way to go as the other option is to order from the vendor in the UK or is there a US vendor for that same cable sold in the UK?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #12598
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

I had the same problem with the Amazon cable that Syspig had. My amazon cable did not work using the TuneECU drivers. I never installed the driver that came with the cable. The incorrect chipset would not allow the cable to work with TuneECU. As mentioned in previous post I bought the Ebay cable from "gameadvance". Just search "TuneECU cable Triumph" and you'll find it. Cost a little more, but guaranteed to work.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #12599
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Yeah, just have em grab out the parts catalogue with the drawings, and order the replacement parts, as though you crashed and broke yours or something. I'm sure you pay a bit of a higher price than the cheapest aftermarket, and sorry I don't recall how much mine was anymore, but you can order almost any bit off a Triumph, separately, down to screws and such. Although I've seen screws for $9.50 so I don't recommend buying those in this way.

You need the wiring harness, the button switch, and there's an L-bracket that mounts it with the grip switch... and screws. They are all numbered there in the drawings.

Chris
Awesome!!! Thanks!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #12600
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I had the same problem with the Amazon cable that Syspig had. My amazon cable did not work using the TuneECU drivers. I never installed the driver that came with the cable. The incorrect chipset would not allow the cable to work with TuneECU. As mentioned in previous post I bought the Ebay cable from "gameadvance". Just search "TuneECU cable Triumph" and you'll find it. Cost a little more, but guaranteed to work.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote