User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #12616
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Failed to proceed - bike now back at the dealer

My 800 XC had its second mystery failure on the weekend. It would not crank, despite battery being full-charge. Same thing happened a couple of months ago, but it came good after I cycled it off/on + kill switch a couple of times (operating system by Microsoft??). This time no deal - it just won't go. Dealer picked it up this morning (only done 2,000 km).

I know I'm not the first to have this kind of problem and the dealer's mechanic told me last time he'd had the same thing happen.

I'm actually glad the problem has stuck this time because now they've got something concrete to trouble shoot. After the first failure I've felt like I can't trust it. Imagine if this happened on a big ride to a remote location I'm guessing it's either the starter, or else a software bug. Whatever ... I hope they can say they found something wrong and fixed it.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #12617
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
My 800 XC had its second mystery failure on the weekend. It would not crank, despite battery being full-charge. Same thing happened a couple of months ago, but it came good after I cycled it off/on + kill switch a couple of times (operating system by Microsoft??). This time no deal - it just won't go. Dealer picked it up this morning (only done 2,000 km).

I know I'm not the first to have this kind of problem and the dealer's mechanic told me last time he'd had the same thing happen.

I'm actually glad the problem has stuck this time because now they've got something concrete to trouble shoot. After the first failure I've felt like I can't trust it. Imagine if this happened on a big ride to a remote location I'm guessing it's either the starter, or else a software bug. Whatever ... I hope they can say they found something wrong and fixed it.
Had it fallen over?
On a recent ride one of the guys dropped his Tiger and it wouldn't crank. It took a couple of on~off on the key and it started OK again. I think it was the "tilt" switch not resetting after picking it up.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #12618
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Could also be the clutch switch or the immobilizer. Hope it's something simple and they can get you back on the road quickly.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #12619
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
You mean is AMF running the show? The "Harleys are unreliable" jab is just silly now. Bag on the power, handling, riders and what have you, but the Harleys made in the last decade or so are incredibly reliable. Both of mine also get better gas mileage than my Tiger, though not by very much.

and

A 2012 Harley with 342 miles I found on US 27 last week falling apart. Almost locked the rear wheel up.
You can keep those P'sOS, I'll never own another one.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #12620
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

All the bolts backed out? That's just strange. Like they were never acutally tightened to begin with. Dealer should have caught that one during prep assuming that it left the factory like that in the first place.

Anyway, back to the Tiger...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #12621
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post

and

A 2012 Harley with 342 miles I found on US 27 last week falling apart. Almost locked the rear wheel up.
You can keep those P'sOS, I'll never own another one.

Jim
Not sure I've ever seen a circlip used on an axle like that before...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #12622
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,509
I had a Harley XR1200 for 24k/2yrs.... it spent 8-10 weeks in the shop on various warranty repairs over that time - first and last HD for me.... it was truly a POS that I had to unload before the warranty expired.

(But I'll be the first to admit, it was damn fun to ride in the twisties, and to be honest, it has better corning clearance than my Tiger Roadie).
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #12623
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Back to the Tiger!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #12624
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Back to the Tiger!!!
Pleeeeeeze.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #12625
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
I would try putting the bike in gear and pushing it just enough to rotate engine slightly. This can sometimes get things going. Hope an easy solution is found.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #12626
fbj913
I ride

XM Antenna Location

Where did you mount you antenna? I can't find a really good place. Pics please. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #12627
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Not sure I've ever seen a circlip used on an axle like that before...
The Tiger has a similar tensioning clip built into the nut in the rear. Both of my HD's have a cotter pin there.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #12628
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Eh?

I have mostly followed this thread since the start. I don't own a Tiger...yet. My interest in bikes is mostly vintage, but did break down and buy a used S*z*k# DR650 last year to use as a commuter bike and occasional dirt road ride.

Last fall, my wife has decided she wants to ride more. This from a woman who at one time would not even go near a bike . The BSA's are not comfortable 2 up...the DR actually even less so. She actually encouraged me to shop for a new(er) bike. Since my interest in newer bikes is limited, the choices to shop around were limited.

We tried assorted B#W's at the local dealer. While I liked the F800Gs, she didn't due to size of the pillion seat. She loved a 1200GS, I hated it since the bike was too large for my liking. Then she kind of dropped the subject over the winter...until last weekend

Since the Tiger was introduced, it has interested me. So now for my question and its relevance to this thread. Before we make the 35 mile drive to the nearest Triumph dealer (who has Tiger 800's & Tiger Explorer in stock), how is the pillion seat on the 800? Reality is, even with her increased interest in riding, probably 90%+ of the riding will still be solo. And if I end up with a tiger, the Dr is gonna be gone.

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight". The DR has and even tighter seat issue and she really dislikes the seat/peg relationship.

Any opinion or advice?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #12629
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I have mostly followed this thread since the start. I don't own a Tiger...yet. My interest in bikes is mostly vintage, but did break down and buy a used S*z*k# DR650 last year to use as a commuter bike and occasional dirt road ride.

Last fall, my wife has decided she wants to ride more. This from a woman who at one time would not even go near a bike . The BSA's are not comfortable 2 up...the DR actually even less so. She actually encouraged me to shop for a new(er) bike. Since my interest in newer bikes is limited, the choices to shop around were limited.

We tried assorted B#W's at the local dealer. While I liked the F800Gs, she didn't due to size of the pillion seat. She loved a 1200GS, I hated it since the bike was too large for my liking. Then she kind of dropped the subject over the winter...until last weekend

Since the Tiger was introduced, it has interested me. So now for my question and its relevance to this thread. Before we make the 35 mile drive to the nearest Triumph dealer (who has Tiger 800's & Tiger Explorer in stock), how is the pillion seat on the 800? Reality is, even with her increased interest in riding, probably 90%+ of the riding will still be solo. And if I end up with a tiger, the Dr is gonna be gone.

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight". The DR has and even tighter seat issue and she really dislikes the seat/peg relationship.

Any opinion or advice?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tiger
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #12630
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight".
Me- 5'9", 180# Spouse Unit: 5'6", 160#

She thinks the pillion is comparable to my FJR1300.

I feel less crowded with her on the T800XC than I do on the FJR.

I sat, but have not ridden, an Explorer- it felt very similar to the T800, so I'd expect similar from it, if not more so.

I think, with any of the Tigers, your wife is going to need a stepladder.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote