Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #12721
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mpulsv View Post
I just spent the last few days experimenting with the Leo Vince exhaust with and without the baffle. Unfortunately I only recorded the final result. Here is a picture of the exhaust on my Tiger 800XC

I found that with the stock baffle, the sound is very much the same as the stock exhaust. I wanted a little more throaty exhaust note, so I removed the baffle. I found that without the baffle, the idle sounds awesome, but when riding at between 4000 and 5000 RPMs, it was very loud! It felt like the pipe was pointed straight into my helmet.

I then drilled 4 holes in the baffle and it gave it a little more growl over stock. So I then drilled 8 - 3/8" holes in the baffle and the sound is exactly what I was looking for. No highway drone, but a little more volume to provide excellent feedback when you get on the throttle.

Here is link to the video of what it sounds like with the 8 holes in the baffle.

http://youtu.be/EZHj79l_8pA
Different bike but looks like the same muffler as I have. When you say baffle, are you referring to a round plate with holes drilled in it?

My Leo Vince, came with that plate that goes between the mid pipe and the muffler, plus an end piece that reduces the size of the exit at the tail end of the exhaust.

If the plate, I did the same as you. I could still feel a reduction of power, so called Leo Vince. I was told that plate was meant for European customers to pass sound tests.

I run the bike with the reduced exit size and am happy with it, though louder than stock
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #12722
2mpulsv
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Different bike but looks like the same muffler as I have. When you say baffle, are you referring to a round plate with holes drilled in it?

My Leo Vince, came with that plate that goes between the mid pipe and the muffler, plus an end piece that reduces the size of the exit at the tail end of the exhaust.

If the plate, I did the same as you. I could still feel a reduction of power, so called Leo Vince. I was told that plate was meant for European customers to pass sound tests.

I run the bike with the reduced exit size and am happy with it, though louder than stock
My Leo Vince did not come with a round plate between the mid pipe and muffler. The mid pipe went straight into the muffler. The baffle, is the end piece that reduces the diameter of the exit exhaust as well as has a pipe that runs about 6 inches inside the muffler. I drilled the holes into the pipe that runs in the muffler.
2mpulsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #12723
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
any more word on the safari tanks?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #12724
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Does Triumph have an owner's group with a directory, a la BMWMOA?

If not, perhaps for localized and on-road assistance, we could compile a directory and send it to the members. A number of ZZR owners do this, but it's not like we have thousands of members. I'd be willing to provide assistance to others in need, and I'm sure there are many more who would.
Did the same thing with CBF owners in Canada, was a good way to get in touch if you were going to be in someone's area to ask about good rides etc.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #12725
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
I just spent the last few days experimenting with the Leo Vince exhaust with and without the baffle. Unfortunately I only recorded the final result. Here is a picture of the exhaust on my Tiger 800XC

I found that with the stock baffle, the sound is very much the same as the stock exhaust. I wanted a little more throaty exhaust note, so I removed the baffle. I found that without the baffle, the idle sounds awesome, but when riding at between 4000 and 5000 RPMs, it was very loud! It felt like the pipe was pointed straight into my helmet.

I then drilled 4 holes in the baffle and it gave it a little more growl over stock. So I then drilled 8 - 3/8" holes in the baffle and the sound is exactly what I was looking for. No highway drone, but a little more volume to provide excellent feedback when you get on the throttle.

Here is link to the video of what it sounds like with the 8 holes in the baffle.

http://youtu.be/EZHj79l_8pA
Suits the bike well!

Thanks for the video! Can you set the camera up by the side of the road and do a variety of fly by's? Sometime a steady drone, some times 'whackin' it as you pass the camera? Different rpms etc..

Make it howl please.

EDIT: (maybe dont do it on your street, neighbours may not be as impressed by it as I would)
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #12726
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
My Leo Vince did not come with a round plate between the mid pipe and muffler. The mid pipe went straight into the muffler. The baffle, is the end piece that reduces the diameter of the exit exhaust as well as has a pipe that runs about 6 inches inside the muffler. I drilled the holes into the pipe that runs in the muffler.
Mine did. It was tucked into one of the carboard folds in the end of the box. Had no idea what it was for until now.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #12727
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Is it me and the way my tank bag sits or does everyone get the steady blast of dust and dirt blowing up between the front cluster and tank directly under your helmet ? I get so much dirt through there its like a blower forcing up under my lid. Spent a few days on dirt roads and the amount of dirt under my tank bag between it and the tank caused some serious wear and scratches. i lined the tank/seat area with clear contact film but haven't wrapped the tank yet.

Future ten screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 10:24 AM
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #12728
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Starting about 35mph, I get sand blasted from the triple tree/shroud area. I seems to calm down over 50mph.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #12729
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
Is it me and the way my tank bag sits or does everyone get the steady blast of dust and dirt blowing up between the front cluster and tank directly under your helmet ? I get so much dirt through there its like a blower forcing up under my lid. Spent a few days on dirt roads and the amount of dirt under my tank bag between it and the tank caused some serious wear and scratches. i lined the tank/seat area with clear contact film but haven't wrapped the tank yet.
I get some dust, not that bad. I am presently riding with a Triumph Touring screen, which has the same style/design as the std screen just a little taller & wider.
FYI...we do a a bunch of rides out Tampa & your are welcome to join. Last week we did a ride to Cedar Key with a bunch dirt / sandy Forrest rd's in between.
John
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #12730
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Starting about 35mph, I get sand blasted from the triple tree/shroud area. I seems to calm down over 50mph.
That sounds about right, John I will have to get up with you guys. I have a place in Andrews in Cherokee. We had the best trip ever. July is the road runner magazine rally we plan on going. Its in Maggie Valley, the house is about 50 mins away.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #12731
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
I get some dust, not that bad. I am presently riding with a Triumph Touring screen, which has the same style/design as the std screen just a little taller & wider.
FYI...we do a a bunch of rides out Tampa & your are welcome to join. Last week we did a ride to Cedar Key with a bunch dirt / sandy Forrest rd's in between.
John
I'm in Valrico and would like to take you up on that offer as long as the trails are hardpack I'm good to go with my roadie.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #12732
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
It may have been posted in this thread somewhere but does anyone recall what the updated specs were for tightening the steering head bearings? I tried using a wrench I had in my cycling stuff to tighten the nuts a couple of months ago but it was not a good solution so I bought the proper socket from triumph so that I can torque this properly. I recall reading about an update but can remember the details.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #12733
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
I run a front fender extender and don't seem to get too much in the face when riding gravel. Maybe that makes a difference.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #12734
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
John
I've been looking at the OEM touring windscreen.. What is you thoughts? Big improvement or just ok?

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #12735
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
I run a front fender extender and don't seem to get too much in the face when riding gravel. Maybe that makes a difference.
Gravel must be the difference... I have the fender extender, and I get plenty of Sand-blast from dirt roads. I really thought the fender extender would help more with that. It does help keep the engine cleaner though.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote