Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #12721
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Never having ridden a Hardley nor ever taken an MSF course I am feeling a little left out, but I did just go for a ride, so it's all good. Only 3500km on the bike so far, but still smitten, it tours, scratches and takes me up forestry roads I wouldn't normally go to. Awesome.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #12722
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm about 2 MSF/rider safety course, Harely bashings away from unsubscribing from this thread.
What's the best oil to run in my Harley, for taking the MSF course? Seriously. Really. Honestly. Not kidding.

PS Waiting semi patiently for my accessories to arrive so I can go pick up my bike. Been having a blast riding the crap out of my DR lately though.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #12723
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Riding on some rutted minimum maintenance roads lately my XC clunks badly when going over a decent sized rut. I don't have a center stand and haven't been able to determine if it is the side stand flopping or the chain clanking. Sounds metallic and heavy so I'm suspecting the side stand. Anyone else have this issue? I need to find a place with one or two ruts then smooth so I can be looking down when I go over them without fear of biffing.

'12 800 XC

Stein67 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 02:02 PM
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #12724
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Riding on some rutted minimum maintenance roads lately my XC clunks badly when going over a decent sized rut. I don't have a center stand and haven't been able to determine if it is the side stand flopping or the chain clanking. Sounds metallic and heavy so I'm suspecting the side stand. Anyone else have this issue? I need to find a place with one or two ruts then smooth so I can be looking down when I go over them without fear of biffing.
zip tie it up and try it
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #12725
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Yes it will clunk. I wouldnt worry about it. For long off road trips I use a double sided velcro strip to secure.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #12726
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
This has been discussed on various forums for ages. On here http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,5126.0.html it has been determined that it is the chain slack hitting the underside plastic protection of the swingarm.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #12727
Stein67
Adventurer

OK, so it can be the side stand or the chain clanking. Oh, well, it's just noise. I was just trying to get this thread back on track.

I just decided to buy an XC on the spur of the moment last week sight unseen so I apologize that I haven't been following the 800 forums. I know that some people research the heck out of stuff. I generally don't and hope I get lucky. I think I did with an XC.

'12 800 XC
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #12728
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I think you need to chill a little. That's how these things go - so what if we have a slight detour every now and again

What else is there really to talk about, this thread has probably covered 99% of all things Tigger 800 at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Hey, maybe it's time to go for a ride.
I agree.
Why doesn't someone organize a 800 Tiger Rally? We did this very successfully years ago on the Vstrom forums. Couple hundred riders showed up. Really a fun event held in Reno, NV. the year I went. Could do a Western Tiger bash and an Eastern one?

It's tough to keep a thread interesting when not much goes wrong with the bike ... and now, most are busy riding! This was true with the Vstrom and true with the Tiger. You can only Farkle so much. Eventually you have to get out there and try to break your bike! Have fun guys!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #12729
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I agree.
Why doesn't someone organize a 800 Tiger Rally?
Sounds like fun!

I installed Rox risers today. Damn, why did I wait so long... It was fairly comfortable with the motech risers but the bike fits perfect now!
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #12730
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm about 2 MSF/rider safety course, Harely bashings away from unsubscribing from this thread.
I won't miss you.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #12731
2mpulsv
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 10
Leo Vince Exhaust with drilled Baffle

I just spent the last few days experimenting with the Leo Vince exhaust with and without the baffle. Unfortunately I only recorded the final result. Here is a picture of the exhaust on my Tiger 800XC

I found that with the stock baffle, the sound is very much the same as the stock exhaust. I wanted a little more throaty exhaust note, so I removed the baffle. I found that without the baffle, the idle sounds awesome, but when riding at between 4000 and 5000 RPMs, it was very loud! It felt like the pipe was pointed straight into my helmet.

I then drilled 4 holes in the baffle and it gave it a little more growl over stock. So I then drilled 8 - 3/8" holes in the baffle and the sound is exactly what I was looking for. No highway drone, but a little more volume to provide excellent feedback when you get on the throttle.

Here is link to the video of what it sounds like with the 8 holes in the baffle.

http://youtu.be/EZHj79l_8pA

2mpulsv screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 06:15 PM
2mpulsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #12732
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,377
Exhaust tone

I wonder what the stock exhaust would have sounded like with a bunch of holes drilled in the baffle?
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #12733
Stein67
Adventurer

Well, less than one week of ownership and I got a flat rear tire about 20 miles from home. I've never had a bike flat. Ever. Tried to call a buddy that lived three miles away to no avail. Had to call the better half to come with my truck to pick me up a bit after 8:00 tonight. It was a quiet ride home. She was settled in with a book already. Note to self, get those tire irons on order that you were going to order the other day.

'12 800 XC
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #12734
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Well, less than one week of ownership and I got a flat rear tire about 20 miles from home. I've never had a bike flat. Ever. Tried to call a buddy that lived three miles away to no avail. Had to call the better half to come with my truck to pick me up a bit after 8:00 tonight. It was a quiet ride home. She was settled in with a book already. Note to self, get those tire irons on order that you were going to order the other day.
Bad luck there!
Irons are good (3 seem to work best) ... make sure you have something to break the bead. Not easy on a 150 section tire. Practice at home so you know what to expect.

Also, might consider Slime or Ride-On. Both flat preventors designed to be put into the tire ahead of time ... and stay in there. It's not the greatest for tubed tires (best in tubeless) but it often can work or can turn a FLAT into a slow leak, allowing you to get somewhere.

I especially like Slime up front. A front flat with a tube tire at 70 or 80 mph ... well, it can be interesting. INSTANT AIR LOSS does some weird things to handling!

Even if the Slime does not totally stop the flat, most times it will SLOW air loss, as opposed to INSTANT air loss, which is normal with a tubed tire.
Slime gives you an edge.

PS ... always carry a spare tube ... or two.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #12735
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Sorry to hear that! At least you were near home when you popped your cherry. I have not had a ton of flats but I've had my share through the years.