User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #12736
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 382
Question Highway Dirt Bike Hand Guards, Wind Deflector & Mirror

Anyone try the Hand Guards, Wind Deflector and Mirror set up from http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/ ?

If so, how did it work out?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #12737
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
HDB hand guards and mirrors,Rox risers,Kaoko throttle lock. This is the touring option because I'm useing a throttle lock. You do need to use rox risers to make it work. Smooth install and all is good.

motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #12738
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Has anyone fitted an Altider luggage plate?

So far I have been unable to get it sorted - the holes seem to be too close together by up to 8mm / 1/3 inch.

I've tried loosening the grab handles as suggested but need to have them so loose that they are floppy. Once the plate and original cover are in place I cannot access the bolts to retighten the rear bolts.

Supplier and dealer have been helpful so far but keep telling me that this difference on hole spacing is normal and all I need to do is loosen the grab handles.

If you have a plate could you measure the centre distance of the holes for the mounting bolts.

Help.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #12739
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1. To have trouble with two bars left seems odd and to only be able to put 4 gallons into it seems to indicate it was not a low fuel problem.
M

I did my usual experiment today where I run the tank dry on a new bike, just to see how much fuel I can actually add when it is empty. It sometimes varies quite a bit from what the manufacturer says. I went for a long ride and 300km in I put some gas in a little jerry can strapped to the backseat. I came home and was still going, so I took it out this evening and the bike started sputtering at 400km. I sputtered along another 3 km's or so and splashed in a little fuel and made it to the gas station.

The fuel gauge didn't show any bars for the last 60km or so. When I filled up the supposedly 19 liter tank it took 18.87 liters. So that seems about right, there was probably some fuel in there from when I splashed some in from the jerry can when I ran out.

Mileage on trip computer 20.4 km/L (48 M/US/G or 57.6M/IMP/G or 4.9 L/100km)
Calculated mileage is 21 km/L (49.4 M/US/G or 59 M/IMP/G or 4.8L/100km)

I know, kinda anal, but at least now I know that the tank does contain 19 liters, so when the fuel light comes in at 340km or so and the average fuel consumption shows 20.4km/L I know I can likely do another 60 km.

BTW, the ride was partly highway at 115km cruising speed at about 5000 rpm, the rest was ripping around a great road east side of Kootenay Lake from Creston to Kootenay Bay ferry. So not really trying too hard to get great mileage, but not too crazy on the throttle either. Probably realistic sport touring speed.

Bike is a roadie with stock exhaust and the latest 20634 fuel map. The mileage has improved a little with the new map.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #12740
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post

So far I have been unable to get it sorted - the holes seem to be too close together by up to 8mm / 1/3 inch.

I've tried loosening the grab handles as suggested but need to have them so loose that they are floppy. Once the plate and original cover are in place I cannot access the bolts to retighten the rear bolts.

Supplier and dealer have been helpful so far but keep telling me that this difference on hole spacing is normal and all I need to do is loosen the grab handles.

If you have a plate could you measure the centre distance of the holes for the mounting bolts.

Help.
Yes, I have that rack and it can be made to fit.

I measured 175mm rear and 195mm front for the hole spacing on the handles. In this position the holes exactly line up with the holes in the plastic cover plate. By loosening the bolts holding the grab handles I could push the handles in just enough to match the hole spacing on the AltRider rack plate (171mm rear, 189mm front). It takes some force to hold the handles in while you retighten the 2 large bolts. I then had to elongate the holes in the plastic cover to allow the small plate screws and spacers to fit. Note spacers are different heights, front to rear.

Nicest plate out there and works well for me but IMHO their holes are off by 4-6 mm. Hole spacing should be same as spacing on plastic cover, period. I emailed them several times but in the end just had to make it work as is.

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #12741
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Anyone try the Hand Guards, Wind Deflector and Mirror set up from http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/ ?

TIA
G/day PYG RYDR
I have these on my 800gs,,they are brilliant,,,the mirrors are useless though
reef
Reefdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #12742
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Yes, I have that rack and it can be made to fit.

I measured 175mm rear and 195mm front for the hole spacing on the handles. In this position the holes exactly line up with the holes in the plastic cover plate. By loosening the bolts holding the grab handles I could push the handles in just enough to match the hole spacing on the AltRider rack plate (171mm rear, 189mm front). It takes some force to hold the handles in while you retighten the 2 large bolts. I then had to elongate the holes in the plastic cover to allow the small plate screws and spacers to fit. Note spacers are different heights, front to rear.

Nicest plate out there and works well for me but IMHO their holes are off by 4-6 mm. Hole spacing should be same as spacing on plastic cover, period. I emailed them several times but in the end just had to make it work as is.

Thanks Meles Meles,

I've been able to fit the rack following your suggestions (in my case I needed to shim the outer edges of the grab handles to force them into a position that would accept the rack),

I agree with your final sentiment, nice rack just don't get why they refuse to drill the holes in the correct place to suit the bike.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #12743
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post

Help.
It's not the rack but the grab handles. I had the same problem with a SW Motech rack, returned it and bought a CJ Designs rack, same problem, the holes were off by just a few mm. I ended up using a file on the grab handles where they mate with the frame and filed more from the outside edge to where the handles would skew out slightly when bolted down. I had to remove very little material and it worked on the first fitting.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11576
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #12744
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomart View Post
HDB hand guards and mirrors,Rox risers,Kaoko throttle lock. This is the touring option because I'm useing a throttle lock. You do need to use rox risers to make it work. Smooth install and all is good.

Boy those are tough looking, I have already bashed the OEM gaurds and they move rather easily. Good for wind protection but I guess thats what they are designed for. Good stuff right there
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #12745
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post

TIA
HDB Thread
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #12746
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,577
[QUOTE=marloweluke;18688997]M

The fuel gauge didn't show any bars for the last 60km or so. When I filled up the supposedly 19 liter tank it took 18.87 liters. So that seems about right, there was probably some fuel in there from when I splashed some in from the jerry can when I ran out.

p.[/QUOTE?

Side stand and center stand fill? To what level in the tank?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #12747
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomart View Post

Motomart,
Thanks. Your setup looks great! Help me understand adding the Rox Risers. Is it possible to add the HDB setup without adding the risers? Did you use stock handlebars? Can you PM the top clamp size needed? Thanks, your assistance and information is appreciated.
BTW, I contacted HDB and Paul indicated he did not have specifics on what worked for the XC.......
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Logan Pearsall Smith
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #12748
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Thanks for the link!
Logan Pearsall Smith
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #12749
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
[QUOTE=swimmer;18691299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
M

p.[/QUOTE?

Side stand and center stand fill? To what level in the tank?
No center stand on my bike, so side stand fill-up. I filled it up where the fuel just touches the filler neck so you don't see an air gap to the main portion of the tank. Not sure how you would obtain 3.7 L/100km on the highway like Triumph claims. Maybe in 6th gear at 80km/h with a hurricane tail wind and helium in the tires? Anyway, it wasn't so much about the mileage with which I am quite happy.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #12750
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
It's not the rack but the grab handles. I had the same problem with a SW Motech rack
This statement has me wondering if it's not the racks, but rather a bit of inconsistency from bike to bike. My SW Motech plate fit just fine, probably took all of 5 minutes to install. I remember having some issues with the final bolt so I backed out the first 3 and installed the bolts in the reverse order. Took a little fiddling but nothing major.

As an aside, I really like the Motech plate. Nicely finished and the Givi adapter plate that I got with it can be installed or removed in well under a minute. Very convenient for switching between top box and tail bag.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote