ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #12946
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post

They both rode great, with the XC being a bit more twitchy, probably due to the 21" front wheel. What I didn't like was going hot into corners, the XC would scrub the front tire and the roadie was stuck tight to the ground. I've got many years riding supersports, so that kind of riding is more my tendency.


Regards
What's really fun is when you come hot into a corner on the XC and get the front end to "Twitch" a bit, then give it some back brake and get a two wheel slide going. Then. both wheels will catch, and drop it to the foot peg and rally the corner. I'm a bit reckless...

I miss my Superhawk, but not that much with the XC. Only 16,000 miles in my first year with the XC and not a single one of those towards commuting.
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #12947
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I think that might be more to the shitty tires they put on the bikes from factory. Put on a set of Anakee II or Metzeler Tourance (non EXP) and you have lots of grip.
What size front are you using on these tires?

I ran the OEM size 100/90-19 (I think they only come H-rated bias ply) with an Anakee 2 and they were terrible - I didn't slide or anything but there was like no sidewall tread (Michelin Man erased in a couple hundred) and I was hitting the front side wear bars by 2.5k... rear V-rated radial was in fine shape.

Now running the Anakee 2 in 110/80-19 (Z-rated radial) and at 4.5k and I'm very impressed. Michelin man intact (on the front at least); tire is not profiling at all, still perfectly round (I've always had a "V" profiling problem by 5k); not cupping; and I still have plenty of miles before any wear bars surface.

I'm wondering if my bad experience with the 100/90 is due to the size, the bias ply construction, the H rating (not likely) or did I just have a faulty tire (Michelin did kick in some warranty $$)?
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #12948
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Went for a three hour ride with my wife today,

So when does the wife pick up her Tiger?
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #12949
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
What's really fun is when you come hot into a corner on the XC and get the front end to "Twitch" a bit, then give it some back brake and get a two wheel slide going. Then. both wheels will catch, and drop it to the foot peg and rally the corner. I'm a bit reckless...

I miss my Superhawk, but not that much with the XC. Only 16,000 miles in my first year with the XC and not a single one of those towards commuting.
I still kept my Superhawk...and still waiting (I hope one-two weeks left) for my new XC.
Let me ask you (as Superhawk owner you know what I mean) - how would you rate XC with Bridgestones it comes with (Battlewings?)
I do have terrible riding habits...of similar nature to yours. So - shall I ditch Bridges even before running in new bike and go with pair of Pirelli Scorpions etc. or will I be able to manage reliable grip with Bridges? I do not try to match what I usually have, but need reliable touring tire for sport-ish ride habits?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #12950
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
So - shall I ditch Bridges even before running in new bike and go with pair of Pirelli Scorpions etc. or will I be able to manage reliable grip with Bridges?
You might find that your XC comes fitted with Pirellis instead of Bridgestones. I saw some new ones in a dealer here in the UK with Pirellis from the factory.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #12951
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

With my Roadie I've scratched both rider footpegs now and feel that I'd like to have a bit more ground clearance.
I know what you mean. After the little triangle at the bottom of the peg is scraped off I wonder what will touch down next. It's probably a good reminder to slow down a little by the time I scrape pegs on the road, so maybe not a bad thing.
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #12952
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,302
Fingers crossed! Thanks for the tip - I really hope it'll be no Battlewings...I ordered mine on may 18, so there is chance...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #12953
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
So when does the wife pick up her Tiger?
She already has a Street Triple but is talking about getting a 'Roadie'.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #12954
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I know what you mean. After the little triangle at the bottom of the peg is scraped off I wonder what will touch down next. It's probably a good reminder to slow down a little by the time I scrape pegs on the road, so maybe not a bad thing.
Watch out for the side stand safety switch. I've read about people hitting the switch so bad that the motor cuts out. Not something you want when your leaned over in a corner.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3817.0.html
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #12955
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Watch out for the side stand safety switch. I've read about people hitting the switch so bad that the motor cuts out. Not something you want when your leaned over in a corner.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,3817.0.html
BIG +1

On a slightly different twist, a mid corner dip bottomed me out hard, and only after read the UK forum, I realized the engine kill switch plunger has been completely sheared off... better not forget to flip up my sidestand.



Both my peg feelers are starting to wear though... the bike has worse clearance than my previous Harley.... I'm serious. (And yes, I get my butt off the seat)
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #12956
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I still kept my Superhawk...and still waiting (I hope one-two weeks left) for my new XC.
Let me ask you (as Superhawk owner you know what I mean) - how would you rate XC with Bridgestones it comes with (Battlewings?)
I do have terrible riding habits...of similar nature to yours. So - shall I ditch Bridges even before running in new bike and go with pair of Pirelli Scorpions etc. or will I be able to manage reliable grip with Bridges? I do not try to match what I usually have, but need reliable touring tire for sport-ish ride habits?
Actually, I was really happy with the Battlewings. I thought they did everything pretty well. I liked them better than the Tourance. I'm running Shinko 705s now, and I'm really really happy with those. Especially for the price. The TKCs will be going on after my upcoming road trip. If they only made a 606 in a 150.....
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12957
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,394
I too am impressed with the Shinko 705's. They fit the bill and the price is right.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #12958
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
She already has a Street Triple but is talking about getting a 'Roadie'.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #12959
Johno33772
Johnny Africa
 
Johno33772's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: St Petesburg, FL
Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
Actually, I was really happy with the Battlewings. I thought they did everything pretty well. I liked them better than the Tourance. I'm running Shinko 705s now, and I'm really really happy with those. Especially for the price. The TKCs will be going on after my upcoming road trip. If they only made a 606 in a 150.....
Have you looked at the Mitas E07's from MX1 in Canada. The rear E07 is a great tire & lasts way better than the TKC. So far I have 3500miles on my rear & have used about 1/3 of the tread life...my TKC rear was shot at 2500miles. Check out E10's from Mitas...it sucks that there ain't a US distributor yet.
I removed my kickstand switch, cut the switch bracket off & spliced the wires together...problem averted.
__________________
KTM 1190R / XR500 Street tracker project/ KTM 500XCW / KTM 300XCW / Sherco 2.9 / Honda ZA50,Ural Patrol
Johno33772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #12960
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014