Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #12961
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Tried to find an answer with the search button, but had no success.

How do the giant loop bags stand up to the heat from the exhaust? I though I had seen a post where someone had melted a bag on their heat-shield.

I have the stock exhaust and am wondering if the bags will stand up, even in hot trail riding conditions?
I would affix some heat tape to the back side of the bags where it is near or in contact with the exhaust shield.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #12962
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:

How do the giant loop bags stand up to the heat from the exhaust? I though I had seen a post where someone had melted a bag on their heat-shield.

I have the stock exhaust and am wondering if the bags will stand up, even in hot trail riding conditions?
I've done some traveling with the Giant Loop bag in contact with the heat shield and no problems. I suppose if you somehow blocked airflow between the heat shield and the can, it might get pretty hot, but so far, no worries.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #12963
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:

Had no problems with the Giant Loop Great Basin in Utah last year but I also added a piece of the Aerostich 'heat tile' to the inside corner of right side. I have the Arrow exhaust which has a smaller heat shield than stock.

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #12964
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I would affix some heat tape to the back side of the bags where it is near or in contact with the exhaust shield.
Where can I find 'heat tape'?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #12965
kessler89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
reflective ducting tape from lowes or home depot will work (looks alost chrome)
kessler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #12966
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I've done some traveling with the Giant Loop bag in contact with the heat shield and no problems. I suppose if you somehow blocked airflow between the heat shield and the can, it might get pretty hot, but so far, no worries.
Sort of thinking of a worse case scenario, like working the bike hard and occasional stopping and idling the bike in a single track trail.

I guess some added heat protection (tape etc..) is 'cheap insurance'
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #12967
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Had no problems with the Giant Loop Great Basin in Utah last year but I also added a piece of the Aerostich 'heat tile' to the inside corner of right side. I have the Arrow exhaust which has a smaller heat shield than stock.

Thanks for the reply, Not sure how fast I can get some here in Canada. Lowes / Home depot option sounds quicker.

Great Pic , nice looking rig.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #12968
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Amazon has several options too.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #12969
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Let me guess, in ascending order:
Heated Grips
Auxiliary lights
rocket launcher?
No
From the top:
REMOTE computer button
Aux lights
Heated grips
Oh and the toggle switch is hazard flashers.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #12970
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
No
From the top:
REMOTE computer button
Aux lights
Heated grips
Oh and the toggle switch is hazard flashers.
Remote computer button
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #12971
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Remote computer button
....?
Is he saying he's hacked into the tacho and re-wired the 'A' and 'B' button!!!?

Please do elaborate...
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #12972
BillDRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Remote computer button??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
....?
Is he saying he's hacked into the tacho and re-wired the 'A' and 'B' button!!!?

Please do elaborate...
I use my bikes on dual sport and adventure rides, these rides are navagated by roll charts and some GPS. A remote button to reset the mileage would be great!! I'm really interrested if this is what it does? Please tell us more!
BillDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #12973
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Tis easy, although it'll void your warranty I would imagine. Just did the lower button.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg76678

Remove the instrument pod. The rear bit with 800 on it is just a shield the clocks themselves are quite thin. There's a bigger of a 7mm to remove. Once clocks are removed you'll see that you can see the circuit board though the gap around the connector opening. This is where your 2 wires (cat 5 is good) poke through. Solder a wire to each of the two points on the lower button closest to the upper switch.
The switch I used is the triumph aux light switch and bracket. You need to open the switch and butcher it as the logic in the switch could cause problems. Link 2 wires, I used the red & white to two of the switch contacts. Check with a dvm for correct switching. Bob's your uncle.

KildareMan screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 09:49 AM
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #12974
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post

Nice pic and great set up. But how does that work out going off road? Seems to me you have no room to move around. I like to be able to shift my weight back without luggage restricting movement or distracting me when I feel it there.

Shifting weight back is especially useful going down steep downhills.

For this reason I prefer soft panniers and a top duffel set back on the rear rack ... where it belongs. No other diddy bags or bed rolls hanging off anywhere are needed because everything can fit in the panniers or big duffel. Not fond of a tank bag for off roading either. I had one on my Vstrom but it was very low profile, still took a while to adapt to.

I can see using Giant Loop bags on a real dirt bike (for which they were designed) that has NO sub frame. But the 800 XC has a good, strong sub frame, no problem loading it up a bit further back from where the the GL's hang.

I rode with a friend riding a KTM. He had GL's on. They stayed put pretty well but access is not good. If you happen to need something stashed deep in one lobe, its hard to get to. There are no separate compartments, everything is just crammed into one space ... a pretty small space as it turns out. Works good on dirt bikes though, but for mostly On Road touring, I prefer other systems. YMMV!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #12975
BillDRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Tis easy, although it'll void your warranty I would imagine. Just did the lower button.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg76678

Remove the instrument pod. The rear bit with 800 on it is just a shield the clocks themselves are quite thin. There's a bigger of a 7mm to remove. Once clocks are removed you'll see that you can see the circuit board though the gap around the connector opening. This is where your 2 wires (cat 5 is good) poke through. Solder a wire to each of the two points on the lower button closest to the upper switch.
The switch I used is the triumph aux light switch and bracket. You need to open the switch and butcher it as the logic in the switch could cause problems. Link 2 wires, I used the red & white to two of the switch contacts. Check with a dvm for correct switching. Bob's your uncle.
Thank you, good link photo's also! I assume the soldered bits were the contact points for the old button. Did the modification allow the origional button to still operate?
Have you tested it? I'm guessing you leave the A button in the function you like and the new B will reset on the fly?
For and adventure bike they should have incorporated it into the start button. I believe the start button now acts as a timmer when engine is running but I haven't tried it. I thought I read that in the manual briefly before I just jumped on the thing and went to my local gravel pit!
BillDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote