Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #13051
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Thanks for the swift respose. The owner's manual shows a traditional one, and all I see is what you describedl.. it seemed obvious, but I figured better to check then wtf!! LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #13052
XPADREX
Funslinger

Does it use a washer any longer?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #13053
XPADREX
Funslinger

Heres why I ask:

I remove the drain plug... first loosen with a hex key, then loosen the rest of the way with my fingertips. It comes loose, and falls into the drain pan accompanied by a gush of oil.

To, y dismay, the oil level in the drain pan keeps rising! I reach into the midst of the rising oil puddle to discover that the drain plug fell perfectly into the hole in the center of the oil catch pan (one of those multi gallon plastic types).

When I fish out the plug, the oil drains... revealing a washer. I didn't recall seeing a washer in the oil drain pan before, but I didn't recall one coming with the bike's drain plug. It fits, and other oil change threads indicate a washer is used...... so I reused it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #13054
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 243
LOL, been there done that and yes it does use a washer, sorry forgot to mention that. The diagram is a little misleading in that it shows a standard hex head bolt, but you figured it out so all's good.

Jerry
Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #13055
XPADREX
Funslinger

Other than a little deception in the owner's manual... I've been loving this bike. ;) thanks for the assist... I also called Bueller, who gets to hear all of my mechanical tales of woe. He confirmed the washer. Remind me to tell you of the time I changed the oil on my new Wrangler, and the factory filter was on so tight, it left the gasket on the block and I didn't notice... oy vey!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #13056
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's an oil issue. Make sure your at the full mark. And make sure your using full synthetic.

I was at the dealer yesterday & my T8 made a grinding sound when he cranked it to install the latest tune. He immediately said that sound means the oil is low. Sure enough, the oil level was at the bottom of my site glass. He topped it off & it has not made that sound again.
It seems crazy that it could be an oil issue to make that much noise but I don't doubt the experiences posted. Will be interested to hear what happens with frytown.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #13057
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It seems crazy that it could be an oil issue to make that much noise but I don't doubt the experiences posted. Will be interested to hear what happens with frytown.
Remember a few Triumph triples have been known to go through a wee bit of oil. I think it was Bike magazine that blew up a Tiger 1050 by letting it get low on oil. We've had no issues with my wife's Street Triple and I don't have enough miles on my Tiger. I regularly check my oil anyway so not really a concern.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #13058
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
All, would post this in the "Tiger 800 problems" but I don't know yet if I have a problem (though I'm pretty sure I do).

I've got a 2012 Roadie, about 3 months old, and just a tad over 2500 mi. Relatively babied on break in, got the 600 mi. service from the dealer at about 700 mi - which included all the normal stuff with no outstanding issues.
I ride the bike on a 56 mile RT commute every day, and vary my speed quite a bit since it's highway stop and go and lane splitting. Today is Friday and on Wednesday morning I started it up and it sounded clackity, from the top of the motor.
It's gotten worse every moment since and I just swung by the dealer and have an appointment on next Wed. to have the dealer mechanic pull the valve covers off and have a look - cam, valves, timing chain, etc.

It sounds like a bike that's run outta oil, but the oil level is spot on. I check it pretty religiously. No residue in the tail pipe, just a tiny bit of carbon. This, plus the fact that the oil level has never changed leads me to believe I'm not burning or losing oil. The clack is so loud, my decidedly non-mechanical wife can hear it plain as day.

I'm pretty worried since it sounds like ass, and I absolutely LOVE the bike. I won't ride it again until I have to take it to the dealer - which is unfortunately about a 25 mile fwy. ride, so I'm just gonna stew and fret.

Any insights from the peanut gallery?
Don't ride it! Have it towed or borrow a truck!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #13059
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,609
It's under warranty, right? Ride it...and carry a cell phone.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #13060
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Huge thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yeah, it's really gotta be an oil issue as many have suggested. That's what it sounds like, but the oil level has never changed from where it is now: right half way between the two lines on the sight glass, when it was new off the lot, and after the oil was changed at the 600 mile mark. Maybe the oil is just cooked. Or my oil pump is not working properly?

I'll post what I find out in hopes of helping some other poor bastard down the road.

Wish me luck!
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #13061
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:

Yeah, it's really gotta be an oil issue as many have suggested. That's what it sounds like, but the oil level has never changed from where it is now: right half way between the two lines on the sight glass, when it was new off the lot, and after the oil was changed at the 600 mile mark. Maybe the oil is just cooked. Or my oil pump is not working properly?

I'll post what I find out in hopes of helping some other poor bastard down the road.

Wish me luck!
Good luck
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #13062
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:

Wish me luck!
If the oil is cooked the level doesn't matter. The oil just runs out of the head while the bike sits. As soon as the engine spins up and the oil pump gets going it supplies oil to the head and all is relatively good. Does the noise go away after it idles for a bit?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #13063
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:

Wish me luck!
I have been running Motul 300V in mine, it's on the second round at the moment. I consider that a "best" oil and even with that I can make out a slight tick at ~2200 rpm. Certainly nothing a mere mortal on the side of the road would hear unless they too were a Triumph lover or perhaps a mechanic.

So I recommend that oil, once your mechanic finds out what's been left inside your motor or whatever.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #13064
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Long shot, but....

A) Does anyone have any pictures from the rear of the hepco Becker pannier racks? Curious how far it sticks out on left.

B) longer shot. Any pictures of hepco junior bags mounted?

Thanks
I can answer A)

The rack is asymmetrical with the right side further out to clear the exhaust. There is probably an inch clearance to the stock exhaust. I have the Caribou case system which uses Pelican cases.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #13065
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
5000 km road trip

I just returned from a 5000 km road trip through BC, Washington, Oregon and down to northern California. It was pretty cool and wet half the time. The roadie did great and handled well with a medium load. I did notice the rear starts to pendulum back and forth at high speed cornering in big sweepers at 140+ km/h. I'll have to check the headstock as I hear it click occasionally to make sure that is not the cause. We were with a group of 8 guys ranging from Goldwings to CBR1000RR's. The Tiger more then held it's own. In the tighter stuff the Tiger was just great keeping pace with everything out there. I did scrape the peg feelers quite a few times, but that's it. Hanging off is necessary to prevent worse scraping. I was at the speed limit of what I am comfortable doing on the road. Buddy on the CBR1000RR trashed a set of tires riding the same pace I was, triangulated front and rear tires, cords almost showing on the way back through the Oregon desert. Madstad screen was awesome and Caribou cases kept everything dry. Don't like their weight, but you can't have it all. Mileage was good also at average 5.2 L/100km. Overall, super happy with the Roadie but would like to get rid of the high speed swaying. Will see if the headstock bearings are loose or if a rear suspension mod will be necessary. Anyone else notice the rear end swaying? BTW it also did it when I had the cases off for a couple of days so it's not just the luggage causing it.