Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #13186
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Regarding chain maintenance, especially cleaning, I've been pretty lax. Considering I do about 50% of my riding on gravel roads and it gets filthy, I need to address this.

What does everyone do?

I've heard some people scrub chains down in a pan of kerosene and then re-lube but I was concerned about trapped kerosene actually doing more harm than good as a solvent.

Just brush it off and spray it with a good chain lube and call it good? It's been 1000 miles and I'm feeling guilty.
I fitted a Scottoiler and let it throw plenty of oil at the chain. Job done.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #13187
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I fitted a Scottoiler and let it throw plenty of oil at the chain. Job done.
I did the same, and haven't even so much as thought about my chain in 3500 miles. I did notice a ton of oil underneath the bike near the side stand last night and haven't had time to investigate. I'm hoping its fling. I don't notice it anywhere else, but I think I have it dialed in to dump too much oil so I've lowered that.
I'll never own a chain bike again without one. Awesome device.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #13188
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
After I sent my stock seat to Sargent for reworking and new foam I got a call a little over a week later from one of the owners. They were in the development stages for their own version of a seat for the T800 and had a loaner bike on its way to them so they could develop their seat design. He asked if he could keep my seat a bit longer and use it for the development process, which I of course agreed to.

I got a call from him last week. He said the foam was done and it was headed to upholstery, and would then ship to me. They must have worked fast because I received it yesterday.

You can clearly see the dished area towards the back of the seat. The dish is actually a bit more than you can see in the photos because the vinyl seat cover tends to float a bit and doesn't fully represent the shape.

I rode the bike about an hour yesterday. I generally need a bit of time on a seat to get used to it but I can say without a doubt this seat is worlds better than either the stock seat or the Triumph gel seat (which I would be happy to sell at a discount to anyone who wants to try it). The dished area provides a lot more support across a much larger area, and I can still easily move from the dished area up onto the nose of the seat for a change if desired. Having owned several Sargent seats over the years I knew the foam would be a huge improvement, and was not disappointed.

I believe Sargent will release their seat somewhere around September, but for anyone who wants to have them make one based on the stock pan they should now have templates based on the one they made for me.
Looks like my other sargent seats that I like so much. When they come out, I will buy one.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #13189
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Looks like my other sargent seats that I like so much. When they come out, I will buy one.
+1
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #13190
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Sargent seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
+1
+2
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #13191
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken View Post
+2

I think that'll be a +3.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #13192
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Regarding chain maintenance, especially cleaning, I've been pretty lax. Considering I do about 50% of my riding on gravel roads and it gets filthy, I need to address this.

What does everyone do?

I've heard some people scrub chains down in a pan of kerosene and then re-lube but I was concerned about trapped kerosene actually doing more harm than good as a solvent.

Just brush it off and spray it with a good chain lube and call it good? It's been 1000 miles and I'm feeling guilty.
Chain cleaner + wire brush + elbow grease = clean chain. Then lube. I do this about every couple thousand miles. Otherwise I give it a good lube about every 500 miles or so. Or after I wash it.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #13193
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

New Brake Lines

So it's been a while since I last made a post ~ so now's the time to give you an update...

My latest upgrade was due to that UuuuTube video of the F800GS dude that bit the dust when his front fender broke off and the brake cable grabbed the front wheel....

NEW BRAKE LINES!

I went from this:

... to this:

OK - with the NONE ABS models this would be sooooooooooooooo much easier!
A simple two output banjo bolt up at the brake leaver then two brake hoses down to each calliper.

BUT with the ABS, you have to go back to the ABS unit and then a line back the to callipers.
I have a 'T' junction fitted above the radiator where the return line splits to each front calliper. This is the same design as on the Speed Triples.

I have also done the LCD Button Hack as described on the English Tiger Forum:

Then I've bought myself a new GARMIN ~ Montana 600..... WOW! What a BRILLIANT unit!
I had (still have) the MAP278 ~ but the Montana does the same and more.
(BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE BLUETOOTH.... But that's a price I'll pay)

Here's the head socket voice out - but I never use it.

Oh - and I've installed a standard 12 V socket:

I was also invited by Dunlop to test their new(ish) Trailmax TR91 tyres at their 'Adventure Weekend' in Italy

BRILLIANT TYRES... 10/10 is my rating.

They gave PURE CONFIDENCE in every condition...

So that's all for now....
Hope it gave someone an insight to new dimensions...
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #13194
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
I have also done the LCD Button Hack as described on the English Tiger Forum:

Is there any reason that the "Pass" button cannot be used for that mod?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #13195
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Damn Bob, that's a lot of miles in a short amount of time. Did you ride iron butts all year or what?
'Never run an Ironbutt on this bike. No big trips either. Got it April 15th 2011. Thought getting a British bike on Tax Day was a bit Ironic actually. This is local mileage (New England). Last year was my worst years mileage wise in 25 years. Only did 21,000 miles on bikes. Need to fix that.

There are others that have done more than me, but I don't think I've seen any that live in cold climates (maybe I'm wrong).
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #13196
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,941

Nice pics.

Come on England
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #13197
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Is there any reason that the "Pass" button cannot be used for that mod?
Not unless you want to NOT have a "pass" button!

I use my "pass" button for what it is ~ so there was never the thought to use it.

Besides, having two buttons allows you to (for example) keep trip 2 showing 'miles to empty' and trip 1 on 'current miles' ~ this way you simply tap the button and toggle between 'miles to go' and 'current trip'.
If you only have one button then you have to scroll through all the information before you go back to 'current trip'.

Just my observation of how I use this set-up the most.
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #13198
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I like what you've done with the brake lines Birdy, I may tackle that one. I've also been toying with the idea of bringing the bike over there and your pics are really enticing :) Curious, what suit are you wearing? Other than color, it looks just like my Triumph suit.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #13199
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Good job on the brake lines Birdy. Did you do it yourself? I would like to pay a shop to split up my front.

I would also get that front line off the master cylinder to get away from the barkbusters in case a fall pushed the bar into the line, which is my only other worry.

As it stands now, I have installed my barkbusters a bit "too high" so the bar is over top of the stock brake line... this position seems to make it more likely to go upwards -- and miss the line. But it's a bit too high to be perfect.

Anyhow would appreciate your thoughts on the cost to get brake lines done that way and if you think the master cylinder is a weak spot.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #13200
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:

What does everyone do?

I just spray some wd-40 or break free or whatever is handy on a rag and wipe the chain down, then hit it with a brush and re-lube it. Done.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote