Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #13216
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Please do not use a rag on a chain! This is a great way to lose fingers. It happens all too often. Also if you use a chain cleaner they are said to be O-ring safe. I'm not sure if this really makes a difference but I believe in it. Same chain cleaners are a really great way to break up the chain oil from off the case where it collects.
I knew this would stir up a bunch of comments. That wasn't my intention. It's just not a good idea. Running or not your fingers can still go in to tight spaces and then get pinched or worse. The excuse of, "I've been doing this for years" only means you've been lucky for years.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #13217
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
I knew this would stir up a bunch of comments. That wasn't my intention. It's just not a good idea. Running or not your fingers can still go in to tight spaces and then get pinched or worse. The excuse of, "I've been doing this for years" only means you've been lucky for years.
I use a rag, but my fingers are never anywhere near a moving chain. I scrub the lower run of the chain between sprockets, then move the wheel to expose the next section of dirty links, and so on. Same way for lubrication. Why anyone would willingly put their fingers that close to a moving chain and sprockets escapes me.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #13218
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Please do not use a rag on a chain! This is a great way to lose fingers. It happens all too often. Also if you use a chain cleaner they are said to be O-ring safe. I'm not sure if this really makes a difference but I believe in it. Same chain cleaners are a really great way to break up the chain oil from off the case where it collects.
I acually use a blue shop towel, and why would my fingers be near the sprocket on the intake side anyway? It is always a good idea to spin the wheel so that it is pulling you away from the sprocket not towards it. That is just common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
This works a treat (and keeps your fingers away from the chain)

These work very well, and the brushes are replaceble when they wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I'm hoping he's not doing it with it in gear and the engine running.
Only a complete idiot would do that, and I have seen the pics of the dumb bastard who took off the end of his fingers doing this with his squidville gixxer.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #13219
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
So it's been a while since I last made a post ~ so now's the time to give you an update...

Oh - and I've installed a standard 12 V socket:

BRILLIANT TYRES... 10/10 is my rating.

Hope it gave someone an insight to new dimensions...
I want to hear about the flyscreen conversion... Looks like the answer to a few of my problems, one of which is a complete lack of places to put a switch (or anything else)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #13220
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thought I'd post an update to my top end rattle issue:

I posted a couple pages back about a rattle in the motor that was freaking me out.

Got the bike back from the dealer today.

Turns out there is a delrin (or similar) plastic way that the timing chain slides in, just below the tension pulley. Apparently there are two, one on the rear chain path, and one on the forward one.

Well, my rearward one was incorrectly set in at the factory, so during the first 2500 miles it became loose and tilted and consequently rubbed on the timing chain. So, too, did it loosen the timing chain a little - but without goofing the timing thankfully.

So the guys at the shop reset the pin that holds the guide in place and I'm back in business. No damage (except, perhaps, for my trust of the Hinkley assemblers....)

Thought I'd post the story here in case someone else comes across an errant rattle in their motor.

My bike must've been a Friday afternoon bike. Hope this is the last of it!
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #13221
fbj913
I ride

Re: Gear Change Return Spring

I had the recall done on my Tiger Tuesday. 1 spring, 1 clutch gasket, 1 circlip, 1 washer, 1 nut (clutch, 22mm)

Carry on
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #13222
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Centre stand question.

For those that have had the centre stand replaced. Was the rubber bung on the stop bracket changed to a thicker one at the same time?

Mine wasn't and I noticed that on full extension of the suspension, the rubber bungs on the stand legs touch the under side of the swing arm. I thought the whole idea of this recall was to stop the stand hitting the swing arm. So I've taken one from a leg and put it on the bracket and now there's 3~4mm clearance making me think all the bungs should be the same thickness. Confused.com.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #13223
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,298
Like everybody else my wife and I have a list of roads we want to ride. Lots of suggestions come from here...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406083

Last fall we rode Hwy 36 in CA. My wife wanted a break from work so we decided to see some friends and ride Lolo Pass in MT. A quick four day ride to just "get away". I'm responsible for planning, routes, hotels etc. and am always looking for roads we haven't ridden. I found a route from our place, Osoyoos, BC down to Coeur d' Alene. As Jodie was riding her Street Triple this would be a paved ride. Sure it will. Here's the first of a couple water crossings...

how not to impress your wife, but after a few expletives directed at me Jodie said she just wished she was on her DR.

18 miles of forestry road later we finally hit the pavement again

Thought this was a good pump to use to fill up the Tiger.

Found several good places to eat

And yes I know the sign on the MT side says "Next 99 Miles" but we blew right by it and didn't feel like stopping.

rode lots of twisty roads, some in the rain but otherwise a great ride. Love this bike, it handles pavement as well or better than my CBF1000 did and when the pavement ends I can just keep going.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #13224
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
For those that have had the centre stand replaced. Was the rubber bung on the stop bracket changed to a thicker one at the same time?

Mine wasn't and I noticed that on full extension of the suspension, the rubber bungs on the stand legs touch the under side of the swing arm. I thought the whole idea of this recall was to stop the stand hitting the swing arm. So I've taken one from a leg and put it on the bracket and now there's 3~4mm clearance making me think all the bungs should be the same thickness. Confused.com.
Yes. All three rubber bump stops are the same. However, the new centerstand does seem to just kiss the lower swingarm. Crummy design, IMO. If I had known this, I would have just kept the original. I liked it better and just gotten a bigger/thicker rubber bump stop.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #13225
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Yes. All three rubber bump stops are the same. However, the new centerstand does seem to just kiss the lower swingarm. Crummy design, IMO. If I had known this, I would have just kept the original. I liked it better and just gotten a bigger/thicker rubber bump stop.
They didn't give me a new one. They just switched out the bump stops.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #13226
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Me too. I asked about the "new" one & was told that mine was good.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #13227
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
I was at my dealer a couple of weekends ago & he had some old bikes out. This has been a triumph only dealer for 3 generations. During the dark days they stayed open by working on exotic cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, ect...)
Anyway I wanted to share this Gem: the first triumph triple

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #13228
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I was at my dealer a couple of weekends ago & he had some old bikes out. This has been a triumph only dealer for 3 generations. During the dark days they stayed open by working on exotic cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, ect...)
Anyway I wanted to share this Gem: the first triumph triple

Beautiful
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #13229
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Me too. I asked about the "new" one & was told that mine was good.
Ooops! Looks like I've opened a whole new can of worms.

Contacted my dealer service bloke today and he insists that the new design is supposed to touch the swing arm with the bungs. So it bumps instead of clangs. However, to shut me up he's posting a new, thicker bung for my stop bracket.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #13230
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 342
Question FenderRiser

I want to add a Fender Riser and located TourTech but not able to locate a SW Motech source.

Can someone point toward a SW option?

Is one better than the other?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote