ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #13276
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer
 
Marsh Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Low Country SC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
After a few muddy off road jaunts I noticed the XC likes to throw crap on to the rear shock (and the general vicinity)... So off to Lowes and $3.00 later and 15 minutes of work this is what I came up with.

05 Tiger did a pretty good job of keeping the area clean....
I like that! I'm gonna copy tiger that one

BTW, didn't you have an orange 955? That was a good looking bike.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #13277
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,727
New bike for the Misses at some point

Ok, this past weekend my Wife and I were talking about her 06 BMW 650gs and the need at some point in getting a bigger/badder/better bike.
I'd LOVE to put her on a 950 like mine but she doesnt think that would be a good choice for her.
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #13278
T
--------------
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
I like that! I'm gonna copy tiger that one

BTW, didn't you have an orange 955? That was a good looking bike.

Yep that was me. Traded 05 Tiger at 50k and still ran strong as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Ok, this past weekend my Wife and I were talking about her 06 BMW 650gs and the need at some point in getting a bigger/badder/better bike.
I'd LOVE to put her on a 950 like mine but she doesnt think that would be a good choice for her.
If she's got long legs let her take a 800 Tiger for a romp....
__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #13279
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Yep that was me. Traded 05 Tiger at 50k and still ran strong as ever.



If she's got long legs let her take a 800 Tiger for a romp....
Well she doesn't really. 28ish... She's 5'5" tall, 115# so that wont help squish the suspension either.
Is there a lowering kit for the bike? There MUST be.

She likes the Triumph and the BMW 800 gs.
What are the pros and cons of either?
The Beamer is more $$$ I would assume.
She/we do ride off road (logging/fire roads) often so the XC would be a plus but not a must.

Whats the MPG on the Triumph.
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #13280
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson, AZ, It's a dry hate.
Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...
If its anything like the HB centerstand, which the instructions said you also need to remove the centerstand, you don't really need to. One of the two screws remained in the sidestand so it was still held in place. I was just careful not to move the bike around too much with only one screw in it. Additionally, the install is pretty quick so you could just get someone to hold the bike for a minute while you replace the existing screw with the new one that allows fitment of the centerstand.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #13281
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 5,030
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
__________________
R1200R/RS LC Forum
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #13282
T
--------------
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Well she doesn't really. 28ish... She's 5'5" tall, 115# so that wont help squish the suspension either.
Is there a lowering kit for the bike? There MUST be.

She likes the Triumph and the BMW 800 gs.
What are the pros and cons of either?
The Beamer is more $$$ I would assume.
She/we do ride off road (logging/fire roads) often so the XC would be a plus but not a must.

Whats the MPG on the Triumph.
Tiger 800XC V BMW 800 GS


Lowering kits are available for the 800.

I'm getting around 50mpg now with no hard bags on.

Both good bikes pretty much in the same ballpark of ability and close on price depending on the deal you strike.
__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #13283
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lagunatic Beach
Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
Don't even consider it w/o support from a lift or paddock stand. It's a bitch to get the flanges with locator pins lined up on both sides at once. Especially by yourself. DAMHIK!
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #13284
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...

Simple to just tie it off to a post or pole, both sides if necessary. Unless you need more ground clearance, in which case you could run the front up on a block.

**********************

Was up tinkering on the new bike 'till late last night. Cut all the bracket crap out of the under-seat bin, filled in the missing tools for the tool pack, and found I didn't have a 17mm hex for the front axle. So a flat repair for the front would have been impossible. Picked up one of those motion-pro axle tool thingies - crap they are expensive. Oh well.

Move the bars all the way up to the next-to-last mark and they are plenty high but not as swept back. Suits just fine and now great for standing. I doubt I'll need risers. They put you in a perfect 'attack' position. Put my GPS ram mount on the bar clamp while I was at it. Just need to run a power feed to it from one of the lights up there.

Also found with the rubbers out of the footpegs (don't need) there is enough legroom with the seat low, so that works a lot better for my 31" inseam.

Did some tidy up on the tail, got rid of some clap trap back there...





My old magnetic tank bag fits pretty good too. Sump guard is on, they had to order the engine guards and center stand. Hand guards are shiite. Not sure how to install some real ones, the bar end has a very small bolt hole.


__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #13285
T
--------------
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
Here's a pretty detailed center stand install video for T800XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglR4GRO2h4

I've carefully used two jacks (bottle/scissor) under each side of the swingarm for a paddock stand type lifting arrangement...
__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #13286
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 5,030
Thanks for the video - I think it helps me understand of what needs to be done. I don't have a good place to lean the bike against something and I also think that said something would get in the way when installing.

I guess I'll find a way.
__________________
R1200R/RS LC Forum
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #13287
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks for the video - I think it helps me understand of what needs to be done. I don't have a good place to lean the bike against something and I also think that said something would get in the way when installing.

I guess I'll find a way.
I just bought a wheel chock from Harbor Freight for $39. I haven't done mine, but once I have the time it's on the list
__________________
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #13288
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.
Weeelllllll....... I think this is one of the lowest ground clearance bikes I've ever owned. Lower than my previous Harley XR at the same % preload setting. Peg feelers are starting to wear through on both sides and I've sheared my side stand switch clean off. Riser kit to be ordered.

__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #13289
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson, AZ, It's a dry hate.
Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Don't even consider it w/o support from a lift or paddock stand. It's a bitch to get the flanges with locator pins lined up on both sides at once. Especially by yourself. DAMHIK!
Sounds like the OEM one is harder to install than the HB. Install for the HB took about 30 minutes.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #13290
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport
 
PYG RYDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern VA
Oddometer: 394
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Here's a pretty detailed center stand install video for T800XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglR4GRO2h4

I've carefully used two jacks (bottle/scissor) under each side of the swingarm for a paddock stand type lifting arrangement...
Thanks for taking time to make the video. It helps me prepare for my installation. BTW-mine came with 3 rubber bumpers.
__________________
PYG RYDR
T800XC-VFR800-XR650L-WR250R
MSTA-NVR
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015