Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #13351
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Tiger owners: is there a switched power lead at the front of the bike that I could use for GPS power?
If not, I could tap into the powerlet socket - is it switched with the ignition?
The powerlet socket at the steering head is switched with the ignition.

Aux powerlet socket (if installed) at the left side of the seat is always hot.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #13352
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Just pay the money and get the Barkbusters made for this bike. They fit better than any handguards I've put on any other bike.

So, special mounting hardware for the oddball bars?
$165 for handguards? Ouch!!

I thought I saw someone had mounted Acerbis or Moose Racing or something. They probably had aftermarket bars, eh?
Gee, for just about the same money, you could put regular tapered bars and guards on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #13353
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Pillion Pegs

Wow , heard about this but never saw a picture of it. Went out to see if the racks for my JESSE set up would prevent it. Nope , to high and inward. Only with cases mounted would save the day. Better one bag than a whole bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Well several people highlighted the design flaw of the pillion pegs and the risk of damage to the frame.
Quote:
Quote:

I unfortunately got to experience the poor engineering first hand in a 25 mph slide on a gravel road.

Still need to get it to the dealer and an insurance adjuster out to see it and a lot of other damage was suffered in what I would have thought of as a minor off. However, the frame is kinked where the pillion peg support had been welded to it which likely means it will be totaled.

The clevis mount for the rider's right peg also was also damaged. It was spread out quite a bit and only the pin stopped it from spreading further. It also looks like it is integral to the frame compounding the problem. To put less pressure on the pin on the trail we were able to close the clevis up some and it took surprisingly little force to close it back up. It is very soft and easily bent.

In the end what was not an unusual or significant off is likely going to result in the bike being totaled.
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #13354
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Sort of off topic but does anyone have the Triumph logo in a vector file? I have a bud with a vinyl cutter and was going to get him to make some stickers for the hardbags.
Would an AI (adobe illustrater) file work for you?? If so I can email or PM the file to you.

Jerry
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #13355
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
The powerlet socket at the steering head is switched with the ignition.

Aux powerlet socket (if installed) at the left side of the seat is always hot.
Not on my Roadie, it is always hot as I use it to charge stuff while in camp and also its where I hook up the battery tender, Mines an 11 so maybe they changed it??

Jerry
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #13356
cug

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
Not on my Roadie, it is always hot as I use it to charge stuff while in camp and also its where I hook up the battery tender, Mines an 11 so maybe they changed it?
Same on my '12 Roadie. The socket at the top of the tank is not switched here.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #13357
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Same on my '12 Roadie. The socket at the top of the tank is not switched here.
Same here guys - not switched, always hot. (roadie)
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #13358
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
My bad. For some reason I thought I remembered the forward socket being switched.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #13359
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Weeelllllll....... I think this is one of the lowest ground clearance bikes I've ever owned. Lower than my previous Harley XR at the same % preload setting. Peg feelers are starting to wear through on both sides and I've sheared my side stand switch clean off. Riser kit to be ordered.

What I'm talking about. Anyone got photos of an XC that look like this? Bueller? Bueller?

Enjoy the 4th everyone!!!

Flog your Tiger this week like the Over Mountain Men did Ferguson at the Battle of Kings Mountain. If she's broke in that is. 4 days in and I've got 345 on my new Pussy Cat. Can hardly contain myself.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #13360
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
So either way, if the powerlet is always hot, is there a switched wire provided up there? Otherwise I can tap into the park lamp or something. For a Garmin it's like half an amp.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #13361
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.

I quit, I lose son, You're The Winner.

I'm done w/ the pissing contest. From here out I'll respect the thread try to post constructive info. Thanks to everyone that has posted up in this wealth of knowledge on a TITS UP motorcycle.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #13362
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post

What I'm talking about. Anyone got photos of an XC that look like this? Bueller? Bueller?
Well I'm just a neutral party here... not ragging on the roadie vs the XC because I think both will drag stuff at steep lean angles. XC has greater ground clearence, but that will largely be offset by fact that its suspenders are significantly softer. And if you missed my earlier post with pix, I've run both a 100/90-19 and a 110/80-19 Anakee2 and the former was quite short on cornering tread compared to the later..... the 90/90-21 Anakee2 I saw was even worse.

I'd be afraid to corner that hard on the XC just due to the front tire - but that's just me.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #13363
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Well several people highlighted the design flaw of the pillion pegs and the risk of damage to the frame.

I unfortunately got to experience the poor engineering first hand in a 25 mph slide on a gravel road.

Still need to get it to the dealer and an insurance adjuster out to see it and a lot of other damage was suffered in what I would have thought of as a minor off. However, the frame is kinked where the pillion peg support had been welded to it which likely means it will be totaled.

The clevis mount for the rider's right peg also was also damaged. It was spread out quite a bit and only the pin stopped it from spreading further. It also looks like it is integral to the frame compounding the problem. To put less pressure on the pin on the trail we were able to close the clevis up some and it took surprisingly little force to close it back up. It is very soft and easily bent.

In the end what was not an unusual or significant off is likely going to result in the bike being totaled.
I feel for you...but if it makes you feel any better...

Last week I spent "straightening" my friend Vstrom that went down at 20-30 mph on hard unpaved surface and bent not only passenger footpeg holder badly but it's mounts to frame and twisted square profile it mounted to.

Last year my other friend on FJR1300 went down at 10 mph, bike slid, hit something (no idea what) and broke off whole massive lug that holds motor in place.

I went down on bulletproof Suzuki DR800 on cobblestone at 60 kmph and only front wheel hittin curb saved my bike frame. However, It got kinked by crashbar that was punched through by piece of stone - go figure. No, I did not even mention it to insurance :) just kept riding it.

My other friend went down with Tiger 800 XC on gravel/clay road at 100 kmph. Scratched plastic, crashbar and sheared off indicator.

Another guy I know went down with 990 Adventure at probably 50 kmph and basically totalled bike.
At same time other guy with 990 went down at 80 kmph at almost same road and - nothing....

This is matter of luck more than anything. I must admit that I'd just get it welded by good welder and keep on riding.

In any case, I sincerely wish you best resolution of this unfortunate case - may be insurance will cough up some money, you can buy 2nd hand Tiger, cut off footpegs and make them removable (as discussed on tiger800.co.uk).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #13364
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
So either way, if the powerlet is always hot, is there a switched wire provided up there? Otherwise I can tap into the park lamp or something. For a Garmin it's like half an amp.
You need to install Eastern Beaver's 3 circuit solution.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #13365
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
You need to install Eastern Beaver's 3 circuit solution.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html
That guys kits are great. I used the heated grips kit for an easy plug/play with my Oxford grips into the Triumph heated grip plug.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote