User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #13351
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,634
GPS Power

On another note...I was asking about switched power for my GPS. So this morning I took the headlight off, it's a pretty big project as there's a bazillion fasteners to remove, and tapped into the parklamp harness. Removed the connector pins from the harness plug, pryed open the crimps, slipped on a length of shrink tubing, then crimped the GPS power leads to the pins and soldered them on. Shrinked and taped. Reassemble. Works stellar. Looks factory.

Nice pieces and bits too. Tidy wiring. The quality is higher and stuff is made better than the japenese bikes. Very well sorted. Me likey.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #13352
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 382
Question HDB Handguards

I am installing my HDB handguards and curious if others used the OEM bolts to anchor the bar ends; or did you remove the OEM handlbar inserts and use Paul's anchors and bolts?

And how do you remove the OEM handlebar inserts?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #13353
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Damaging the bike (stand safety switch for example) is the bad part -- the design should prevent that IMO. But grinding things off is no indication of skill or a failure of the bike. It's probably just a sign to lay off the Big Macs, or the liquid calories.
Did I mention I weight 150lbs and ride solo unladen? Preload was probably set around 25% when I lost the side stand switch. Was in a decent lean when a hidden mid corner dip bottomed me. Preload bumped up to 35-40% now which is about as high as I can go and still have some reasonably even compliance between front and rear suspension.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #13354
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post

TIA
They just unscrew. They have some type of thread locker on them, so they are a bit stubborn the first time.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #13355
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Center Stand

Anybody know if the Roadie has the same center stand as the XC? I am interested to know if the Roadie's cstand has rubber bumpers?? My Roadie's doesn't.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #13356
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Roadie/XC center stands

Compliments of Bike Bandit, here are the center stands for the Tiger.

Since the XC is taller it has a taller center stand or as they say "Long" and the Roadie is "Short".

You can see they did redesign the stands. I assume they did both of them but they only had the one XC stand on the web site. I bolted on the first model (top image) to my bike last year. It only has one bump stop attached to that No. 3 bracket.

Looks like they redesigned the bump stop bracket along with the addition of the bump stops to the legs. I wonder where they contact, the swing arm? I'm too lazy to go down stairs and look.

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #13357
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I am installing my HDB handguards and curious if others used the OEM bolts to anchor the bar ends; or did you remove the OEM handlbar inserts and use Paul's anchors and bolts?

TIA
Based on what others have posted, if you open the hole in the HDB guard up, you can use the OEM inserts.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #13358
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Did I mention I weight 150lbs and ride solo unladen? Preload was probably set around 25% when I lost the side stand switch. Was in a decent lean when a hidden mid corner dip bottomed me. Preload bumped up to 35-40% now which is about as high as I can go and still have some reasonably even compliance between front and rear suspension.
And I'm in the 230# range running the XC through the twisties around 60 and nothing came close to dragging. Body position matters a lot.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #13359
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
And I'm in the 230# range running the XC through the twisties around 60 and nothing came close to dragging. Body position matters a lot.
He is talking about the Roadie (not XC)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #13360
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Yeah that's one of those worst case scenarios. You're into something committed and then SURPRISE! and you know that's not good, cringing when you look etc.

Hmm, Lateral G junkie? You might have other umm, complicating factors.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #13361
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Lots of people complain of this, but frankly when was the last time you had a flat.
For me it was two weeks after getting my XC. Had never had a MC flat before that. I have tubes and irons now.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #13362
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
Anybody know if the Roadie has the same center stand as the XC? I am interested to know if the Roadie's cstand has rubber bumpers?? My Roadie's doesn't.
Your roadie has the original (recalled) design then. The updated one has bump stops attached to the legs of the stand. The other differences I noticed were the spring was stronger and the bump stops (3 all together) were larger and made of a tougher material.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #13363
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
I get my ass off the seat through spirited corners, natural habit from being a life long skier, here's a shot from 1980(?) my only photo session. Anyways, to get sense of how someone rides, short of actually riding together, IMHO the next best thing is tire sniffing - here's one of mine off my previous Harley, which I thought had slightly better ground clearance.

Snapper screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 07:58 AM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #13364
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
He is talking about the Roadie (not XC)
Which was my point. XC has much better clearance. I outweigh him by 80# and I'm not concerned about dragging anything. It's "different" compared to the Roadie but I'd say it doesn't give up anything on the road and in this case it has more to offer.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #13365
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I get my ass off the seat through spirited corners, natural habit from being a life long skier, here's a shot from 1980(?) my only photo session.
It might just be the angle but you look really crossed up in that pic.