Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #13381
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I agree with Bluesman, I'd just get the footpeg bracket welded back on and be done with it. Insurance companies are far too quick to total an otherwise-fine bike. I probably wouldn't even report it to insurance, just fix it myself.

--mark
I may have considered this, however the bracket is not joined to the frame with a butt weld it is a fillet weld with the bracket going into the frame and the frame acting as a welding socket and I am not confident that the integrity of butt weld joint would be appropriate or safe to its purpose. The bracket bent near the frame but there was no damage to the weld. The leverage of the bending action on the portion of the bracket within the frame kinked the frame itself though. Also the bracket itself is no longer the correct length even if I cleaned up the frame and tried a butt joint.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #13382
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 768
Originally Posted by Snapper
Well I'm just a neutral party here... not ragging on the roadie vs the XC because I think both will drag stuff at steep lean angles. XC has greater ground clearence, but that will largely be offset by fact that its suspenders are significantly softer. And if you missed my earlier post with pix, I've run both a 100/90-19 and a 110/80-19 Anakee2 and the former was quite short on cornering tread compared to the later..... the 90/90-21 Anakee2 I saw was even worse.

I'd be afraid to corner that hard on the XC just due to the front tire - but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And that's exactly what I was trying to point out. When you consider all factors, the extra height of the XC does not buy it better road handling or faster corner speeds.
And I was pointing out was that the roady touches down way before the XC causing the average rider (I'm in this group) to back off before they find the performance limit of the front tire. YMMV. Just my opinion here, but if you're consistently dragging parts off or folding the pegs up on these bikes maybe the speed triple or the street triple would have been a better choice. I looked hard both, but knew I would be off the road as well, so I went with the XC. If I want to play racer, I've got another bike for that.

Quote:
I didn't know it was a pissing contest. I thought it was a discussion.

My apologies. I had no idea you were so fragile.
Apology accepted. My psyche is often damaged by random individuals on the world wide interwebs whom I don't share the same opinion with.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #13383
fireman297
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Have some stuff for sale for the Tiger 800/800XC. Thought I would post the link in here. Thanks for looking!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803460
fireman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #13384
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
I may have considered this, however the bracket is not joined to the frame with a butt weld it is a fillet weld with the bracket going into the frame and the frame acting as a welding socket and I am not confident that the integrity of butt weld joint would be appropriate or safe to its purpose. The bracket bent near the frame but there was no damage to the weld. The leverage of the bending action on the portion of the bracket within the frame kinked the frame itself though. Also the bracket itself is no longer the correct length even if I cleaned up the frame and tried a butt joint.
The idea is to create different than original breaking point. E.g. you do not need to concern about weld connection.
To be honest (and I am wearing my hat of ex-mechanical designer/engineer) good quality weld will never be lacking strenght for this application. It is matter of good, pro, deep weld.

Weld couple of pieces of pipe to frame. Have bracket heated and straightened. Cut and clean ends of bracket.
Then check what I proposed here:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,5751.0.html

Next time it happens - it will take 5 mins of roadside repair and no damage to anything except disposable inserts.
When my bike runs out of warranty I do it anyway.
Kinked frame tube makes no difference for handling, chassis strenght or driveability. If bike destined for gravel roads it must be taken as occupational hazard that there will be kinks and scraps etc.
I am sure when you will think about it few months from now riding bike with "removable" rear pegs you will feel good about it. No need to feel down about such small issue.
Unless you do want to have it written off. Do not know what is your insurance conditions - if they will pay easier to get new frame.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #13385
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Since we do not know each other, we do not know each other’s riding ability.
I believe that I am an experienced street rider that also ride with the advanced groups at track days organization. On the other hand I am a mediocre off roader that can barely keep up with the c riders when trail riding and not participating in Enduros.

The Tiger 800 is an excellent bike and I can ride it in the corners almost as fast as a sport bike. I do have to get off the seat more in order not to scrape, and when I do, I just back off the throttle. On the other hand it’s great on badly paved roads and on gravel roads. Last year I owned a street triple R and only on very good pavement, I could ride it as fast as the Tiger. Stock, it has too stiff of a suspension for my 160LBs even when backing off all rebound and compression damping to minimum. After thinking about how much it would cost to change the suspension, I decided to sell it and buy the roadie 800, which is also much more functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
Originally Posted by Snapper
Well I'm just a neutral party here... not ragging on the roadie vs the XC because I think both will drag stuff at steep lean angles. XC has greater ground clearence, but that will largely be offset by fact that its suspenders are significantly softer. And if you missed my earlier post with pix, I've run both a 100/90-19 and a 110/80-19 Anakee2 and the former was quite short on cornering tread compared to the later..... the 90/90-21 Anakee2 I saw was even worse.

I'd be afraid to corner that hard on the XC just due to the front tire - but that's just me.

And I was pointing out was that the roady touches down way before the XC causing the average rider (I'm in this group) to back off before they find the performance limit of the front tire. YMMV. Just my opinion here, but if you're consistently dragging parts off or folding the pegs up on these bikes maybe the speed triple or the street triple would have been a better choice. I looked hard both, but knew I would be off the road as well, so I went with the XC. If I want to play racer, I've got another bike for that.

Apology accepted. My psyche is often damaged by random individuals on the world wide interwebs whom I don't share the same opinion with.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #13386
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
The idea is to create different than original breaking point. E.g. you do not need to concern about weld connection.
To be honest (and I am wearing my hat of ex-mechanical designer/engineer) good quality weld will never be lacking strenght for this application. It is matter of good, pro, deep weld.

Weld couple of pieces of pipe to frame. Have bracket heated and straightened. Cut and clean ends of bracket.
Then check what I proposed here:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,5751.0.html

Next time it happens - it will take 5 mins of roadside repair and no damage to anything except disposable inserts.
When my bike runs out of warranty I do it anyway.
Kinked frame tube makes no difference for handling, chassis strenght or driveability. If bike destined for gravel roads it must be taken as occupational hazard that there will be kinks and scraps etc.
I am sure when you will think about it few months from now riding bike with "removable" rear pegs you will feel good about it. No need to feel down about such small issue.
Unless you do want to have it written off. Do not know what is your insurance conditions - if they will pay easier to get new frame.
This is brilliant. But why wait for warranty to run out? I'm going to do mine right away. A broken frame and welds, or bent frame is just unacceptable. Somebody should make the connectors pieces and sell them. I would buy 3 sets!
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #13387
tug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Would you buy it again

I currently have an 03 Dakar and considering an 800 xc. I have like the looks of the XC ever since they came out.

Although the new Explorer looks nice, as well. I am leaning toward the XC over the Explorer but who knows.

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Would you buy an XC again
2) How is the mileage
3) If you where buying today would you get a Explorer over the XC

Thanks,
Tug
tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #13388
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Small magnetic tank bag that fits the Tiger 800

Looking for a small magnetic tank bag that has a relatively a large map case (for a direction route sheet) and water proof.

The bag has to in a size that will allow standing on the pegs without obstructing.
I was in a Sport touring event last week and I tried this http://roadgear.com/magnetic-compact-tank-p-81.html
It works well, but doesn't have any zippers or pockets. looking for something like this or wider that has more pockets.

Thanks,
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #13389
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
I currently have an 03 Dakar and considering an 800 xc. I have like the looks of the XC ever since they came out.

Although the new Explorer looks nice, as well. I am leaning toward the XC over the Explorer but who knows.

2) How is the mileage

Thanks,
Tug

Absolutely would buy it again, love this bike.
My mileage has been great, 45 mpg is common with higher numbers when trying to be light on the throttle.
I went and rode an Explorer, very big bike and no way would I or could I throw it around like my xc. The 800 on the right roads does long sweeping power slides like a champ, lofting the front wheel over rises is simple and painless. It's really a neat bike.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #13390
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

2) How is the mileage

Thanks,
Tug
1 yes 2 45 ish 3 never considered it as it was too big for me.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #13391
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
1 yes 2 45 ish 3 never considered it as it was too big for me.
Yeah, the Explorer feels massive around the tank area. Closer to a GS Adventure than to a normal GS. I looked at it and immediately scratched it from my "potential future bike" list as for me it is way too massive for what it actually provides.

If I wanted a 1200cc shaftie, I'd get a Yamaha Super Tenere. Feels much smaller and lighter than the Explorer in my opinion. Still about 70kg or so too much for my taste.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #13392
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post

Wish I could still ride bikes like the speed triple. The list of sport bikes I've owned and sold was long and varied while reality was dragging me kicking and screaming to the realization that I'm too broken up to ride them anymore. I miss my track days.

I can't find any specs for available lean angle on each model. Shame, other makes/models offer that information. I'd suspect the lean angle difference assuming perhaps an average 180 lb rider is less than 5 degrees, and that's if the XC's front tire sticks reliably to the point that the pegs drag. That's a hell of a lot less than "way before". There are a whole bunch of other potential factors at work too, including the aforementioned choices in street rubber for the roadie and the stiffer suspension. I'm pretty confident I'd be faster on a twisty road on the roadie, and I'm also pretty confident I'd turn a faster lap time at the track on it. And that's the way Triumph intended it, just like they intended the XC to be more capable off pavement. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept for some.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #13393
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:

2) How is the mileage

Thanks,
Tug
Hey Tug,

I sold my 00 Dakar to get onto a XC.

Best move EVER!! Just do it!

Would happily buy another XC.

Mileage? Been having too much fun with that triple growl to care.

Groovy as the Explorer is the XC is the go for me
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #13394
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
I'm pretty confident I'd be faster on a twisty road on the roadie, and I'm also pretty confident I'd turn a faster lap time at the track on it.
It's hard to quantify riding styles in words, but you sound like a faster street rider than me. I'm pretty confident for me the roadie would be no faster on the street than my XC, but on rougher offroad, the XC would be significantly faster. I just wish I had tubeless tires.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #13395
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
It's hard to quantify riding styles in words, but you sound like a faster street rider than me. I'm pretty confident for me the roadie would be no faster on the street than my XC, but on rougher offroad, the XC would be significantly faster. I just wish I had tubeless tires.
Lots of people complain of this, but frankly when was the last time you had a flat. I know I'm probably jinxing myself now but I've been riding my DR, my wife her DR, my Scrambler, and now the Tiger for almost 10 years and the only time I'm changing a tube is at tire change time. I still carry spare tubes, irons etc. but have yet to need them. I just don't worry about it anymore.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote