Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #13411
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I am installing my HDB handguards and curious if others used the OEM bolts to anchor the bar ends; or did you remove the OEM handlbar inserts and use Paul's anchors and bolts?

And how do you remove the OEM handlebar inserts?

TIA
Based on what others have posted, if you open the hole in the HDB guard up, you can use the OEM inserts.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #13412
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Did I mention I weight 150lbs and ride solo unladen? Preload was probably set around 25% when I lost the side stand switch. Was in a decent lean when a hidden mid corner dip bottomed me. Preload bumped up to 35-40% now which is about as high as I can go and still have some reasonably even compliance between front and rear suspension.
And I'm in the 230# range running the XC through the twisties around 60 and nothing came close to dragging. Body position matters a lot.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #13413
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
And I'm in the 230# range running the XC through the twisties around 60 and nothing came close to dragging. Body position matters a lot.
He is talking about the Roadie (not XC)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #13414
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Did I mention I weight 150lbs and ride solo unladen? Preload was probably set around 25% when I lost the side stand switch. Was in a decent lean when a hidden mid corner dip bottomed me. Preload bumped up to 35-40% now which is about as high as I can go and still have some reasonably even compliance between front and rear suspension.
Yeah that's one of those worst case scenarios. You're into something committed and then SURPRISE! and you know that's not good, cringing when you look etc.

Hmm, Lateral G junkie? You might have other umm, complicating factors.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #13415
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Lots of people complain of this, but frankly when was the last time you had a flat.
For me it was two weeks after getting my XC. Had never had a MC flat before that. I have tubes and irons now.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #13416
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
Anybody know if the Roadie has the same center stand as the XC? I am interested to know if the Roadie's cstand has rubber bumpers?? My Roadie's doesn't.
Your roadie has the original (recalled) design then. The updated one has bump stops attached to the legs of the stand. The other differences I noticed were the spring was stronger and the bump stops (3 all together) were larger and made of a tougher material.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #13417
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
I get my ass off the seat through spirited corners, natural habit from being a life long skier, here's a shot from 1980(?) my only photo session. Anyways, to get sense of how someone rides, short of actually riding together, IMHO the next best thing is tire sniffing - here's one of mine off my previous Harley, which I thought had slightly better ground clearance.

Snapper screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:58 AM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #13418
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
He is talking about the Roadie (not XC)
Which was my point. XC has much better clearance. I outweigh him by 80# and I'm not concerned about dragging anything. It's "different" compared to the Roadie but I'd say it doesn't give up anything on the road and in this case it has more to offer.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #13419
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I get my ass off the seat through spirited corners, natural habit from being a life long skier, here's a shot from 1980(?) my only photo session.
It might just be the angle but you look really crossed up in that pic.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #13420
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
It might just be the angle but you look really crossed up in that pic.
That's a good eye, you're quite correct. On right handers I'll get my lower body off low and off on the inside but I like to keep my helmet relatively centered over the tank. The reason is that here in the heavily forested Northeast, the best twisties will have foliage growing right up to the edge of road which leaves right handers pretty blind. So positioning my head just a few inches/feet further left, than a full body hang-off, gives me a few degrees more viewing angle around the corner. Here's an example of the visibility difference between winter and summer, any why the former is my favorite time to ride (same exact section of road).

Anyways, due to visibility, and several other unique risk factors associated with right handers, I take it significantly easier on right handers .
Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #13421
aarlint
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
TIGGER IS BROKEN! :eek1

My wife and I decided to head to argentina on motorcycles so we picked up a couple of adventure bikes. My bike of choice was the 2012 tiger 800xc which I bought in january of 2012 in cash.

I love this bike! It was fast and smooth on the road and great for playing in the utah mountains as well. After a 6 hour drive or so down to moab utah, my wife and I stopped to take a break and wait for some friends. We turned the bikes off and I left my key in the ignition. When i went to turn on the bike all I saw was a red alarm light in the lower corner of the panel. There was absolutely no sound or other activity. No pump prep, nothing. We fiddled with everything; kickstand, killswitch, battery, ignition button, key positions, gas tank (couldnt hurt). We tried everything, eventually, after about 45 mins the bike roared to life and we were on our way. I gave triumph a call right then and there and said... wtf... what happened. They couldnt explain it and said that since there wasnt a showing problem I should wait to bring it in. The rest of the trip was awesome... tearing up the moab hills on a tigger was awesome!

Unfortunately this wasnt the end of the issue. Shortly after the trip the bike did the same thing in front of bestbuy in my home town. Luckily my wife was able to pick me up and take me to work and I picked up the bike after work. It started! So I looked up on the internerd to see what the deal was and if anyone else had experienced this. There are a few different cases of it but all were resolved by replacing the immobilizer.

I took my bike down to the dealership in salt lake city and they started to diagnose the problem. They got the exact same result as me and decided that the immobilizer should be replaced. Here is where the story goes from bad to worse. The immobilizer took 3 weeks to get here from the UK and it didnt work!

They then decided that it was necessary to replace the computer. So they did that. No change. I was still out a great bike for the beginning of good riding weather. The service headquarters decided that it could be the wire harness and they should check that out. So the dealer went through the wiring harness with a comb and didnt find anything. Still NO JOY.

At this point in the story the bike has been in the shop over a month and the main service headquarters decides that the immobilizer that was a replacement must have been a dud on arrival. They send a new one. This time direct! It still takes 2 weeks and FAILS to fix the problem. The bike is now giving another error on top of the other one and is failing ot sync with the keys.

The bike has now been in the shop since may and has had the following parts repaired or replaced:

Immobilizer
wiring harness
computer
Immobilizer (again)

The tiger is still not fixed and the main service headquarters in the states are frankly handling the situation very poorly. The law in Utah states that if a bike has had 6 or more repairs OR has been out of your possession due to repairs for a business day month, then the bike is a lemon and needs to be replaced or bought back. My situation clearly fits the description (using the 30 business day rule) and triumph will not give me a new bike..

I am now talking to the state about starting a law suit and I have warned triumph that I am beginning the process.

I would like to know what the community thinks about this kind of outrage. I would also like the owners and future owners of the tiger 800 xc to know what they potentially could find at their door. If anyone has experience with lemon law cases or maybe what I should do in this situation... please help!... you are my only hope!
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #13422
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
It's never fun to be the one who gets the lemon.

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties; at this point is seems like invocation of the lemon law is indeed the way to go.

Have you contacted your state's Attorney General? I'd start right there. Give them a call and ask if they have an information on how to proceed.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #13423
aarlint
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
Done,

I have talked to the state and they said that it could take up to a year and that I defiantly qualify. Its such a pain that triumph needs a lawsuit and a pissed off customer before they will do what needs to be done.
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #13424
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
I would like to know what the community thinks about this kind of outrage.
Make sure they know you are serious. Take notes on every conversation and start the process. Most companies look out for their own best interests, but stupidity can get in the way. Eventually they should realize their own best interest is to get you a new bike, particularly if you are so clearly covered by the lemon law.

Sorry you got the lemon, but as you know, the lemonaide is pretty sweet when they get it right. Please let us know how it turns out.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #13425
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
I have talked to the state and they said that it could take up to a year and that I defiantly qualify. Its such a pain that triumph needs a lawsuit and a pissed off customer before they will do what needs to be done.
Have you called Triumph? You need to deal with them, not a dealer.