Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #13531
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I remember you saying something about a muffler, new map and the Tiger "wanting to go faster..." but a joke would be inappropriate right now.

The important thing is you are all right and the more important thing is the Tiger is all right.

and Dude, be careful out there. This thread needs you.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #13532
T
stay classy

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
As I sit here broken harted, I'm trying to figure out what happened. I was leaving work in the pouring rain (nothing new), I lost traction approaching a turn.
Sounds like you're in good shape and Tiger has some minor battle scars; that's about as good as a get off can turn out.
The way you described the incident it sounded like a traction issue. Are those Full Bores (Shinko copies) sketchy on the wet tarmac?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #13533
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Yep, practice makes perfect. The XC tire might be a bit harder than the dirtbike tire in the vid.

Some are sealing the spokes on the rear to run tubeless-easier roadside repair (usually).

Tools to get the frt. and/or rear wheel off. Tool or technique to break the bead.

I've got frt. tube; could be used in rear to get back to "town".

Slime (optional) for that slower leak- to get back to "town".

Pump/tire irons of choice.

Patience.....

I just purchased and used a set of Stubby tools. Much lighter, and I'll never use regular irons again.

http://www.stubbytiretools.com/
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #13534
maxx668
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hello newbe here,

anyone know where i can get frame protectors for a 2012 xc ?? can't fine any .

cheers
maxx668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #13535
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Sounds like you're in good shape and Tiger has some minor battle scars; that's about as good as a get off can turn out.
The way you described the incident it sounded like a traction issue. Are those Full Bores (Shinko copies) sketchy on the wet tarmac?
I'm going to air the full bores down for now. The rear has stepped out a few times. I thought it was due to the muffler & arrow map. I've been using stock 36/42. The tires work way better then they should in dirt (aired down). Definately be careful on the Full Bore in the rain.
Next time I'm riding in the rain, I'll see what's up with these tires. Some emergency stops are forthcoming to test my ABS too.
Where I landed. I found my rubber peg cover.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #13536
T
stay classy

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I just purchased and used a set of Stubby tools. Much lighter, and I'll never use regular irons again.

http://www.stubbytiretools.com/
I hear good things about the stubby tools- in fact the guy in the big brown truck should drop mine off this Friday...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #13537
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
I'm going to air the full bores down for now. The rear has stepped out a few times. I thought it was due to the muffler & arrow map. I've been using stock 36/42. The tires work way better then they should in dirt (aired down). Definately be careful on the Full Bore in the rain.
Next time I'm riding in the rain, I'll see what's up with these tires. Some emergency stops are forthcoming to test my ABS too.
Where I landed. I found my rubber peg cover.
Bummer Rob, glad you came out of it OK.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #13538
xylent
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
My left front was found broken on a ride just Friday. I was thinking maybe the factory or dealer torqued it too tight? The dealer is going to cover it. Mine is 2012 I've had for little over one week. I super glued mine till the dealer gets the new part in.
Could be a heat issue, maybe. It's been hot here in WNC, but I tend to think it's a bad batch of plastic/rubber that the indicator is made of.
Just finished my 8100-mile PA to AK ride. I still have one good indicator, and all my duct tape mods have held up for the last 3 weeks. I picked the bike up right in the middle of the nasty east coast heat wave, and I think the direct sun exposure made a bad plastic problem worse. Both front indicators cracked around the mounting ear...hard to believe they could be overtorqued enough to break with that brass spacer installed on the bolt. Just a weird occurrence all around. Good to hear your dealer is taking care of you. I haven't bothered to call mine yet...might just find an LED unit. I have handguard blinkers on my DRZ and I really like them, so I may go that route with improved guards.

Other than that, the bike performed beautifully. Rear battlewing is smoked. Off to mcsuperstore to shop tires..

xylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #13539
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
@Bueller
Reduce the heat, not thermostatically controlled, from the cat which is considerable. There is no increase in noise I can detect or strange resonances. Most who have done it report a modest increase in torque. Will let you all know.

Well after 1st ride post re-assembly. The exhaust sounds ever so slightly deeper. Obviously the cat rattle is now gone & bike feels "different". Slightly more urgent would be how I can best describe it as. Oh and the right foot area is cooler to.
Costs:
My time
new header gaskets x3 = 10.15 - from UK
new header nuts x6 = 3.24 - from UK
Welding = €40

KildareMan screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 02:23 AM
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #13540
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Costs:
My time
new header gaskets x3 = 10.15 - from UK
new header nuts x6 = 3.24 - from UK
Welding = €40
Why did you need new header nuts? Can't imagine they're rusty already and shouldn't have been seized on the studs this new.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #13541
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Why did you need new header nuts? Can't imagine they're rusty already and shouldn't have been seized on the studs this new.
Several of mine were in shite order. 2 were hard to remove. Ended up cleaning all the stud threads with a die. Also the manual says to replace. To a great extent I suppose it depends on the environment that you are in as well. After 18 months in the Irish "Climate" new ones made sense.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #13542
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Several of mine were in shite order. 2 were hard to remove. Ended up cleaning all the stud threads with a die. Also the manual says to replace. To a great extent I suppose it depends on the environment that you are in as well. After 18 months in the Irish "Climate" new ones made sense.
Sounds like you needed some stainless nuts. Or, back in the old days I remember them being brass.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #13543
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Sounds like you needed some stainless nuts. Or, back in the old days I remember them being brass.
I think I'll put them on my regular replacement list, every year maybe. Minimal cost.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #13544
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The FB's are a hundred bucks less for a set, and if I can get 4-6K miles out of them I'll be thrilled. Then again, if the rear is toast at 2K I'll be trying something else.
Then you might be pleased to know that I'm at just under 6000 miles on the Full Bore rear currently on my XC, and at the rate it's been wearing, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still good for another thousand miles or more. I'm VERY happy with this tire -- handles great on pavement, works much better off pavement than you'd think it would, and it lasts. (For comparison purposes, the Shinko 705 rear I had on before was spent at 4500 miles.)

I've got a Shinko 705 on the front, and it's coming up on 8000 miles; still looks great. Something tells me the FB M-41 front tire would easily be a 12k mile tire.

Quote:
Definately be careful on the Full Bore in the rain.
Interesting; I've ridden in plenty of rain with mine and haven't had any problems.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #13545
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

Interesting; I've ridden in plenty of rain with mine and haven't had any problems.

--mark
What pressure do you use in the rear? I may have pushed to hard with cold tires. I only traveled about 300 yards.