Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #13531
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Are you running the E07 front as well? I have a set enroute and am planning a trip from Iowa to Yellowstone and back next month with a bud. I was thinking about staying with the wings but may mount up the 07's for the trip.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #13532
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Received my Evotech-Performance radiator guard today.

Looks nice. More details man, details......
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #13533
deltamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Tiger on the Way! Headlight Question

All right, I'm joining the ranks. I put a down payment on a 2012 Tiger today! I know this sounds odd, but I'm still not sure if it will be the Roadie or the XC yet. I test rode the XC and liked it, but wanted to try the Roadie. The dealer called me today and told me they're getting a Roadie from another dealer. Im planning to get one or the other. My question is, how is the headlight? I'm thinking about all the accessories I want and am wondering if the extra lights really make a big difference. I have the extra lights on my 99' RT1100, but the headlight really lacks on that bike. I already have a list of add-ons that I want, just wondering if the lights should be one of them.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #13534
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
My question is, how is the headlight?
The headlamps on the Tiger800 as standard are the best I've had on any bike. The previous best was a CBX750 waaaaaay back in the 80s.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #13535
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
All right, I'm joining the ranks. I put a down payment on a 2012 Tiger today! I know this sounds odd, but I'm still not sure if it will be the Roadie or the XC yet. I test rode the XC and liked it, but wanted to try the Roadie. The dealer called me today and told me they're getting a Roadie from another dealer. Im planning to get one or the other. My question is, how is the headlight? I'm thinking about all the accessories I want and am wondering if the extra lights really make a big difference. I have the extra lights on my 99' RT1100, but the headlight really lacks on that bike. I already have a list of add-ons that I want, just wondering if the lights should be one of them.
Best headlight available. I added accessory lights for three reasons.

1.) I ride a lot of gravel and I want light incase my main light gets punched out by a Unidentified Flying Stone.

2.) Increased Visibility is a good thing if your Number 5 in a line of bikes the dust is pretty thick. Anything I can do to alert oncoming traffic that there is one more rider, me, is a good thing.

3.) You can't have too much light.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #13536
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The headlamps on the Tiger800 as standard are the best I've had on any bike. The previous best was a CBX750 waaaaaay back in the 80s.
Had one also Twin h4 can't be bettered in my opinion. Wee Strom lights ran the CBX close.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #13537
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Changing a tire

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on changing a tube on my 2012 Tiger XC, tools needed for front and back, youtube video link or a short cut on this forum leaving for Colorado next week and I want to be prepared just in case. Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #13538
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
Was hoping someone could give me some advice on changing a tube on my 2012 Tiger XC, tools needed for front and back, youtube video link or a short cut on this forum leaving for Colorado next week and I want to be prepared just in case. Thanks
Definately do it a few times at home & see what you need & how it's done.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #13539
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Are you running the E07 front as well? I have a set enroute and am planning a trip from Iowa to Yellowstone and back next month with a bud. I was thinking about staying with the wings but may mount up the 07's for the trip.
Got an E07 on front as well, good on pavement & will feel light above 90mph....will do dirt as you would expect 50/50 tire should do.
Next up the suspension....Sasquatch will be getting a package soon........
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #13540
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:

Yep, practice makes perfect. The XC tire might be a bit harder than the dirtbike tire in the vid.

Some are sealing the spokes on the rear to run tubeless-easier roadside repair (usually).

Tools to get the frt. and/or rear wheel off. Tool or technique to break the bead.

I've got frt. tube; could be used in rear to get back to "town".

Slime (optional) for that slower leak- to get back to "town".

Pump/tire irons of choice.

Patience.....

Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #13541
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Size

CyclingTom what size is that alan socket for the front I have the size 27 socket 1/2 inch drive for the rear?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #13542
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
CyclingTom what size is that alan socket for the front I have the size 27 socket 1/2 inch drive for the rear?
17mm
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #13543
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
My question is, how is the headlight?
Stock headlamps on the T800 are very good.

I put some Osram Night Breaker bulbs in mine and they're significantly brighter, now I would rate them excellent.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #13544
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,220
I'm in the planning stages of my next bike , I presently own a Scrambler which I plan on keeping but I am thinking of a Tiger 800 for my next bike. I apologize for not going thru all 900 pages of thread but I dont have the spare time and a short attention span.

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm.

Have the reliablity issues been fixed ? I remember reading of some stalling issues early on. Any high failure parts?

How are they maintenance wise ? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles so I will be doing all my own maintenance. Anyone out there have over 30k miles on their 800?

Anyone buy one and not like it? I have only seen a couple on the road , both said it was a great bike but they were pretty new owners.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #13545
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I'm in the planning stages of my next bike , I presently own a Scrambler which I plan on keeping but I am thinking of a Tiger 800 for my next bike. I apologize for not going thru all 900 pages of thread but I dont have the spare time and a short attention span.

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm. Have done a couple of 600 mile days with just my knees aching at the end of it. The wee would also do it but you wouldn't enjoy yourself as much. Am getting 52mpg average - 58 mpg for steady cruising at 120km/h

Have the reliablity issues been fixed ? I remember reading of some stalling issues early on. Any high failure parts?
Stalling issue seems to be build up of dust on stepper motor actuator arm. Triumph also loaded a new tune. We're onto our 3rd tune now

How are they maintenance wise ? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles so I will be doing all my own maintenance. Anyone out there have over 30k miles on their 800?
Quite a few with high mileage already. Check out tiger800.co.uk. Valve check at 12,000 miles seems to have a couple of valves requiring setting. Otherwise oil & filter and you're done.

Anyone buy one and not like it? I have only seen a couple on the road , both said it was a great bike but they were pretty new owners.
Love mine. 15 months on and I'm still having fun. De-catting it this week
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote