Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #13546
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
@Bueller
Reduce the heat, not thermostatically controlled, from the cat which is considerable. There is no increase in noise I can detect or strange resonances. Most who have done it report a modest increase in torque. Will let you all know.

Well after 1st ride post re-assembly. The exhaust sounds ever so slightly deeper. Obviously the cat rattle is now gone & bike feels "different". Slightly more urgent would be how I can best describe it as. Oh and the right foot area is cooler to.
Costs:
My time
new header gaskets x3 = £10.15 - from UK
new header nuts x6 = £3.24 - from UK
Welding = €40

Were ECU adjustments required?

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #13547
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
My guess is NO.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #13548
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
None.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #13549
T
--------------

Oddometer: 5,503
For those XC riders that aren't particularly fond of tubed tires this is a little project that doesn't require too much effort and results in a tire that can (usually) be easily plugged roadside. There's a fair amount of info on spoke sealing for those curious types.

Usual disclaimer for project like this: Preform at your own risk.

Rear has a "safety lip" on the wheel. Let me tell ya, this would be a real bitch to break the bead trail-side with a sidestand.

Scuff the surface up and clean with non-alcohol solvent

Cover the spokes in case a future adjustment is needed and insert proper tubeless valve stem.

Cover evenly with, in this case, 3M 5200 sealant.

Allow product to cure. They have a regular and a Fast Cure 5200. If I do this again it'll be with the Fast Cure.
Install tire, balance, submerge in tub to check for tiny leaks, and ride.

Several rides and all is well.
If the front wheel had "safety lips" I would be sealing that one too, but most of my punctures have been on the rear so hopefully the front won't need an in the field fix....
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #13550
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
For those XC riders that aren't particularly fond of tubed tires this is a little project that doesn't require too much effort and results in a tire that can (usually) be easily plugged roadside. There's a fair amount of info on spoke sealing for those curious types.

Rear has a "safety lip" on the wheel. Let me tell ya, this would be a real bitch to break the bead trail-side with a sidestand.

Cover the spokes in case a future adjustment is needed and insert proper tubeless valve stem.

Allow product to cure. They have a regular and a Fast Cure 5200. If I do this again it'll be with the Fast Cure.

If the front wheel had "safety lips" I would be sealing that one too, but most of my punctures have been on the rear so hopefully the front won't need an in the field fix....
Since you have partially filled the drop center section of the wheel, how much harder does this make it to change a tire?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #13551
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,363
Converting to Tubeless

Freaking brilliant.

I got to try out the bead breaking with the side stand yesterday and it's a piece of cake. Works great. Still, so much nicer to plug one on the road. As someone mentioned, sure as shit it's dark, cold, and raining when it goes.

Front is super easy to remove and dismount one tire bead - just like the regular dirtbikes. The rear? Not so much!
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #13552
T
--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Since you have partially filled the drop center section of the wheel, how much harder does this make it to change a tire?

I do quite a few tires, so my "technique" is pretty good (IMHO), and it wasn't any more difficult than the ordinary. You only have to put 1/8" to 3/16" of sealant over the spokes.

T screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 10:10 AM Reason: spell'n
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #13553
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,373
Quote:
I do quite a few tries, so my "technique" is pretty good (IMHO), and it wasn't any more difficult than the ordinary. You only have to put 1/8" to 3/16" of sealant over the spokes.
Does the pressure of the tire bead against the sealant when mounting or dismounting gouge or dent the sealant?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #13554
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Does the pressure of the tire bead against the sealant when mounting or dismounting gouge or dent the sealant?
+1 and does it set hard or soft(ish) ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #13555
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
What pressure do you use in the rear? I may have pushed to hard with cold tires. I only traveled about 300 yards.
I always inflate to about 42psi... but I'm not very good about checking regularly, so occasionally it'll drop into the mid 30s before I top it off.

But when riding in the rain I'm also easy on the throttle, brakes, and cornering -- I don't care what tires I'm running, I just don't trust a wet road surface that's had god knows what dripping on it from some of the shitbox cars I see driving around...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #13556
T
--------------

Quote:
When this stuff (3M 5200) cures, it is wicked strong and flexible. Google up a spec sheet on it, it's a pretty amazing product.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #13557
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
What pressure do you use in the rear? I may have pushed to hard with cold tires. I only traveled about 300 yards.
I don't think it would be cold tires, it would be very hard to get any meaningful heat in a tire on a rainy day. Also, I've done enough sub 40 degree rain riding with zero chance of warming a tire.

However, the gloss black surface of wet asphalt can hide all sorts of surface contaminants - I think that's what did you in.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad you walk away with little personal and vehicle damage.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #13558
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I don't think it would be cold tires, it would be very hard to get any meaningful heat in a tire on a rainy day. Also, I've done enough sub 40 degree rain riding with zero chance of warming a tire.

However, the gloss black surface of wet asphalt can hide all sorts of surface contaminants - I think that's what did you in.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad you walk away with little personal and vehicle damage.
+1
Oil, diesel fuel, brake fluid, any number of slick contaminants. A little water is no problem, but oil floats up and can create a very slick surface. Sorry to hear of your mishap. I'm sure it's very unnerving.

Here in LA, when it rains, the freeways turn into a skating rink. Hundreds of accidents every time. Plus it's so infrequent the idiot drivers have no clue how to drive in the rain, so they go other other way, slower than shiite.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #13559
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1 and does it set hard or soft(ish) ?

5200 is a marine urethane adehesive/sealant. Have used it for bedding deck hardware and thru-hulls. The stuff sticks like crazy and cures to a very firm rubbery material, much harder than regular silicone rubber. Can even be applied underwater and uses moisture to cure. The stuff is amazing.

I've seen this done on another thread but they were using epoxy or some kind of two-part material. This is a MUCH better solution.

The only downside is if you have to replace any spoke nipples. The sealant would be real bear to remove. Do-able, but difficult. Probably easier to cut the spoke holes out then re-seal the cutout.

I still really like the idea, especially for the rear tire. That whole thing is a bear to work with, hard to mount the tire, and hard to fit the assembly into the swingarm. If the cush-hub isn't completely seated the thing won't even go in there.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #13560
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:

How many tubes did you use, and what did you use to cover the spokes? Do you have any pics of the valve stem area and how the stem is installed?