Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #13636
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
It doesn't appear that the RoadSmart comes in the Tiger 800's front size, so I guess that makes that decision easy.
Well they do as I've them fitted. 110/80 size approved by Triumph.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #13637
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Well they do as I've them fitted. 110/80 size approved by Triumph.
Good to know that the size is approved by Triumph.

However I can't find the RoadSmarts in that size in the U.S. Perhaps they don't bring that size to the U.S.?

Thanks!
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #13638
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
I'll give a plug for the scorp trails again. Put about 5K on them as an 'upgrade' on the versys, really liked them a lot, and there are a LOT of those owners that like them. Gee, if they're good enough for a Multistrada, certainly they are good enough for the Tiger. Found on F800GS as well.

With 22-25lbs of air in them they do really well on dirt roads.

That said, for the XC, I pulled 'em off and installed Full Bore USA M40's for more dirtworthyiness. But for an all road trip I'll probly spoon the 'trails back on.

There are lots of really good all-road tires, BT023's, Angels, PR's, 'smarts, on an on. If you want any dirt action then the conti's are highly rated, especially the trail attack, however I've never been a big fan of continental tires. Nor Avon. Nor Metzler. But there are fans for all of them.

If you're really going to go adv tire, like A2 or tourance, then the A2 is said to be far superior in wet, and better grip all around. The tourance is like an old classic, tried and true, but there are more going away from them than to them. They wear like iron but many others provide better grip and smoother running.

Personally I think the scorp trails are the ideal tire for the T800 unless you never leave tar.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #13639
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Picked up my new white XC today!

I made it 14 miles for I almost received a performance reward, but I was laughing so hard when I got off the bike, the officers started laughing too.

14 miles has got to be a record somewhere.

Then I broke her in properly

So far, loving the bike. Smooth on the forest roads and extra smooth on the back roads.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #13640
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Congratulations on avoiding the award, and on the bike. Looks like some nice spots to ride out your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

I made it 14 miles for I almost received a performance reward, but I was laughing so hard when I got off the bike, the officers started laughing too.

So far, loving the bike. Smooth on the forest roads and extra smooth on the back roads.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #13641
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Wheel Spacers

Just changed my front tire and one of the spacers is grooved after 3,000 miles. New ones are $18 each from BikeBandit. Anyone thought about making some in stainless?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #13642
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
nice bike

Enjoy! picked one up myself. Had to sell the other bike first ST3. See you have the Scrambler up for sale? I still haven't been off road on the T800 though, see you are doing a proper break in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #13643
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
It looks like a great idea, I hope it holds up for you.

I'm certainly no expert, but it just seems like the constant centrifugal forces trying to throw the material off would be considerable.

Just curious if you know of others that have done this modification and perhaps if they've already put tens of thousand of miles on it without leaking?
Actually, I think the centrifugal force would be an asset, as it is pushing the material outward against the rim when in motion. Potholes and other sharp hits, as well as changes in temperature with the resulting expansion/contraction cycles would seem to be more of a worry. I have seen other sites where aircraft fuel tank sealer was used, which is apparently a two-part adhesive (epoxy?). There also used to be a place called Wheel Works (I think that is the name) in CA that sealed spoked wheels for $60 or so per wheel. I like the spoked tubeless wheels that some manufacturers are providing stock on their bikes. I wish Triumph would offer these at least as an option (for less than the price of a fresh kidney!)
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #13644
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Actually, I think the centrifugal force would be an asset, as it is pushing the material outward against the rim when in motion.
The rim is inwards of the sealing material ... I think you have it backwards.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #13645
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Just changed my front tire and one of the spacers is grooved after 3,000 miles. New ones are $18 each from BikeBandit. Anyone thought about making some in stainless?
Would there be a danger that the stainless spacer would be harder than the wheel, and wear the spacer inset so that it eventually wobbles? Perhaps the spacers are engineered to be sacrificial, and some grooving is allowed (although only 3000 miles seems pretty early for much grooving to be taking place)?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #13646
dirt donkey
Adventurer

front turn indicator

I think the front blinker on the tiger 800 is not well designed. it has a split in the factory, the intent is the mount will allow the unit wiggle in the rough sections, but it actually gets torqued down enough to cause the plastic with in the internal hole to crack at the radius. Not well designed to much stress on the internal curves of just a bad plastic run out of China? Both mine cracked from rubbing against the tie downs when i was trailer the bike back from arizona in the back of my Ford F150. There was very little pressure from the tie downs, but i guess enough to make the crappy turn signals break and hang down.

Luckily Triumph was good enough to replace them under warranty. I didn't say anything about what happened, only they broke. The mechanic figured that i went over some really nasty sections off road. I told the mechanic the truth. Anyhow, i am replacing them with Touratech LED turn signals... Will probably sell the new stock signals if you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent View Post
Just finished my 8100-mile PA to AK ride. I still have one good indicator, and all my duct tape mods have held up for the last 3 weeks. I picked the bike up right in the middle of the nasty east coast heat wave, and I think the direct sun exposure made a bad plastic problem worse. Both front indicators cracked around the mounting ear...hard to believe they could be overtorqued enough to break with that brass spacer installed on the bolt. Just a weird occurrence all around. Good to hear your dealer is taking care of you. I haven't bothered to call mine yet...might just find an LED unit. I have handguard blinkers on my DRZ and I really like them, so I may go that route with improved guards.

Other than that, the bike performed beautifully. Rear battlewing is smoked. Off to mcsuperstore to shop tires..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #13647
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The rim is inwards of the sealing material ... I think you have it backwards.
Ha! Time for me to get to bed and clear my head I think! Sorry, of course you are correct.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #13648
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Ha! Time for me to get to bed and clear my head
Oh, I know that one ... I'm so dead tired ... roughly 4 hours of sleep each night for the last two weeks doesn't really help ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #13649
dirt donkey
Adventurer

frame protectors

not sure what you need. If you are not doing much off-road then a slider might be a better way to go? I ordered the SW_Motech frame protector. I got it and after talking with them about returns and some of the comments about the thing being a giant tuning fork (KLR 650, etc) i decided to send it back before i installed it. It was pretty heavy and didn't want to weigh down the bike. Their return policy pushed me over the edge...

I like the Touratech engine guard, this is what i installed. It is a little large and i needed a 1/8" shim on the clutch side (left). other than that it went on smoothly once i deciphered the German instructions.

I looked at the R&G Adventure Bar, nice but a little rich for my blood. And the OEM Triumph engine guard, which also looked nice.

Next i am installing the Touratech fairing guard. looks like it has been redesigned.http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Norton.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx668 View Post
Hello newbe here,

anyone know where i can get frame protectors for a 2012 xc ?? can't fine any .

cheers
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #13650
dirt donkey
Adventurer

second bike for dirt work

another reason to have a second bike. so you can abuse it in the dirt. The tiger 800 XC is more like the (farm-girl) prom queen, the one you pickup at her mother's house in nice clothes. The second bike (Yamaha WR250R) is more like the girl that smokes cigs, skips classes and then goes onto to be a beautician. Fun to ride, challenge myself, drop bike... loose traction drop bike, get off balance - dump bike...

Last reason, when the Tiger is in the shop for a fix, you can drop off the second bike to another dealer for more damage repair on bike #2

I am now running IRC on the rear of 325lb WR250R, The Dunlop 606 wears out quick on the pavement. Never had them but the Perelli equivalent to the 606 lasted longer but should have been shelved at under 2,000 miles 80/20 ST/DRT. I agree with the post, that the T800 is not a dirt bike, off-road yes, but i would hate for the tiger to fall on top of me on a rocky section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You would be lucky to get a thousand miles out of a 606 on the tiger. And it would spin up on the street. And once it got squared off would be horrible for sweepers.

While the XC was designed to go off pavement it's not a dirtbike. Suspension is limited and it's a pig at 475# so once it gets out of control a little there's no getting it back.

Consider TKC's or K60's. And another lighter bike for real offroad riding.
JMHO.

EDIT: Just went back thru the thread and see you guys have been discussing riding offroad and have other bikes, so temper my response with that thought. Some are gonna really run these bikes hard.